March 2017 Moms

Sleep Thread

Re: Sleep Thread

• I never use buckles on any baby stuff till they can roll you should be good 
  • Loading the player...
  • @Gators&BoSox the jealousy I feel! My little one slept on daddy or I yesterday and maybe in her basinett for 20 mins... bad so bad 
  • DD has slept in her bassinet 3 nights in a row! I'm so glad she is a better sleeper than her brother was. And dare I say we might be formulating a routine?! Knocking on every plank of hardwood in my floor lol
    Should have saved my "miracles do happen" gif for this thread instead ;) haha.
    thats awesome! Congrats!

@MsTurney not bad-just more newborn normal! You'll get there :) keep up the good work.
  • @MsTurney you guys will get there!! I feel like experimentation is key. You'll figure out what works for your little one 
  • For moms with babies who were born in early March, how has sleep been going? Anyone getting longer stretches yet?
  • @Ivorytower2 month old baby tomorrow-still averaging 2 1/2hour chunks at night :/ booo!  if I remember correctly, last time around it got better after the 6/8 week growth spurt passed
  • @Ivorytower2 LO is 1 month and usually sleeps about 4 hours at a time, a few times she has slept 5 or 6 which definitely freaked me out at first!  Its getting her to go to sleep initially that can be an issue...sometimes she just won't settle down and it takes a couple hours for her to pass out.
  • @Ivorytower2 end of February here... We've only gotten four hour stretches a few times. But he also sleeps a lot during the day.
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • DD is a month tomorrow and still only does about 2 hours at a time ... little fatty lol
  • vprodvprod member
    @motherofdragons-2 this video helped me immensely in the first week or so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7akZb16ZGsU

A few other tips:
    - if you notice gulping/coughing, you might have an overactive letdown and should express some of the foremilk before putting baby back on
    - I cannot for the life of me burp my baby in the traditional ways... she has to sit up perfectly straight and will burp herself a few times. MAKE SURE you burp your LO before putting them back down to sleep or they will probably freak out within a few minutes. This was the bane of my existence for the first few weeks, couldn't figure it out.
    - If you have to hold her upright for her to sleep, get yourself a wrap so that you can also lean back and nap (I use this, it's GREAT: https://www.nestingdays.com/

I keep hearing that 10lbs is a magic number and they will chill out and sleep longer (their stomach should be bigger), and soon their GI tracts will mature and learn how to expel gas without extreme pain!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Ivorytower2 end of Feb baby has gone for 6 hours twice so far. I've never had a good sleeper though. sleep patterns change at 4 months so I don't think this is really telling of how she'll sleep long term.
  • Cbeanz said:
    MsTurney said: 
    @kjd291 I know.. just so tough. Both her kids slept so well and were like perfect infants. I am trying to be relaxed and hope it translates to my little baby. Both my husband and I were good babies.. 
    Your sister is lying and your parents/in-laws don't remember! 

Don't compare. You do what you need to do. 

This is exactly what I thought too!! And if your sister isn't lying then she likely struggles in other depts that you won't - such as picky eaters or something. 
  • @vprod hey, thanks for the tips! Might just look into that wrap and the video was quite helpful! I usually have to let LO pop off and then catch the first drops of my letdown in a towel, haha, so I'm definitely an overactive letdown person! Her rock n play seems to help a lot as well in keeping her slightly inclined and we got some Mylicon which soothes her almost immediately! One day at a time, haha :) 
  • @Ivorytower2 Baby is 3 weeks, 4 days and is now starting to seem to go to 4/5 hour stretches at night. Definitely had the 2-3 week growth spurt last week because it was every 2. 

@vprod I have heard that 10 pounds is the magic number too. It seemed like it for my first.. ny newborn is roughly 9 lbs 10oz and doesn't seem to be close yet. 
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker

• MsTurney said:
    Thank you! Now I use a sleep sack . How does that with the buckles? 
    I have literally never buckled my kid in. How in the world could they fall out? (maybe if a dog or toddler tipped them?)
    Quoting myself!
    Wanted to add: you're not supposed to use them when they can sit up anyway 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • anonellisanonellis member
    edited April 2017
    Mid-February babies (so 6+ weeks now) have gone 6 hours exactly one time, they typically eat every 3-4 hours, more like 4 at night.

I will say they haven't increased their sleep time much but they have gotten much less fussy at night and much easier to put back down after a feed.  Not sure if that's because they're getting older or because we're getting the hang of it, but I'll take it! 
  • i honestly cannot deal. I don't even see 20 min stretches in the basinett. We tried a vibrating one - nothing. I'm so hestitant to buy the rock and play as it's probably going to fail as well. I dread the nights and I'm starting to have less patience. I know this is all part of a newborn but I don't see a light here. I have new hope every night and it seems like everything we do just shortens her time even staying down. I refuse to cosleep as I'm terrified of smothering her .. what other options do I have 
  • LO is 7 weeks tomorrow - I only get 2-3 hour stretches at night.... I have gotten 4 hour stretches maybe 3 times total. He was 5 weeks early so hopefully he will start sleeeping longer stretches soon
    Anniversary

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • 6 wks and still up every 2-3 hours at night
  • @MsTurney Hang in there, mama! Babies are such interesting creatures that they all come out with their own personalities from the start. Someone I know slept with a blanket and then stretched it under the mattress of a pack n play so her scent was there? Or when transitioning my older to the crib, I balled up and knotted a t shirt I had worn and put it in the corner ... obviously all of those options need to be done safely. 

I promise it it gets better. I don't know how old yours is but the first week I kept saying it wasn't this hard last time and my DH and mom kept telling me that it was definitely that hard and I just didn't remember. 
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker

• kap1988kap1988 member
    edited April 2017
    @MsTurney  I don't know if your bed is big enough but could you try something like this?

https://www.target.com/p/summer-infant-swaddleme-174-by-your-side-174-sleeper-gray-stripe/-/A-17069760?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Baby+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Baby&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9029769&gclid=Cj0KEQjwn_3GBRDc8rCnup-1x8wBEiQAdw3OAck0CI13f0T9J_l6Tnru4qqCze5JISU9YIL8NFf7QYcaAucq8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

We have also tried the rock n play at night with success, it works probably the best, but I worry about her sleeping in it all night. Swaddling is working for us, but I have to do it so her hands stay near her face. Have you tried experimenting with arms in vs out or other variations? Could a pacifire or wubbanub help?

I totally understand the fear of co-sleeping. I really really didn't want to do it. Im a heavy sleeper and thought I would smother her. Honestly though, the first week or so I was so exhausted I was falling asleep while holding her in a rocker, not good. I finally went to our spare room and laid her next to me with no pillows, blankets etc and she and I both got some sleep. We have transitioned to the pack n play most of the time now but it really helped at first when I was desperate. For me it got to the point where it was survival mode 

Don't do anything your not comfortable with, but I'm just throwing it out there if you get desperate. Either way, I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time. I know why they use lack of sleep as torture, it's brutal.

ETA People are very ready to share what's easy for them but usually keep their parenting struggles to themselves.  She might have babies who sleep well but maybe she struggled with breastfeeding or her marriage was strained by baby or her house is a pig sty. But that's not what ends up in the Facebook posts.

Me 28 DH 28 Married 2012

TTC #1 since March 2015

Metformin + Femara + Gonal F + Trigger = BFP 6/24/16 

EDD 3/3/17

Found out it's a girl! 9/23/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MsTurney do you think she could possibly have reflux? Does she get the hiccups or spit up a lot? If so, she may need to sleep at an incline, which is how the rock and play is positioned.

If I were you I would try to switch off with your partner, like 1.5 or 2 hours each then switch so you can get some sleep too.
  • I don't know about that whole weight thing.... My 15lb month old is still doing the 2hrs ;p haha
  • Gators&BoSoxGators&BoSox member
    edited April 2017
    Also I feel like if that were the case your babe would have come out sleeping well @kjd291 lol .. but Perhaps by the time most babies hit 10 lbs they are a few weeks old and eating routines have been better established? Generally speaking 
  • @MsTurney I'm so sorry. Been there, the exhaustion is unreal. 
    Do you have a Once Upon a Child near you? If so they might have a used Rock and play for cheap, just to try it. I've been swaddling and putting her down in one that rocks itself.
    Do you have help nearby? When my mom visited I found she was content holding baby a few hours through the night so I could nap. Maybe a good friend or relative would do the same?

Hang in there. With DD 1 I was at my wit's end and thought the exhaustion would kill me. It's so hard.
  • Also I feel like if that were the case your babe would have come out sleeping well @kjd291 lol .. but Perhaps by the time most babies hit 10 lbs they are a few weeks old and eating routines have been better established? Generally speaking 
    That's what I figured when I have heard ppl saying it before. I had a bunch of women telling me: big babies eat less often and sleep more! But I always assumed bigger babes would need more calories and eat more often and sleep less??

oh well. I've always had the mindset of expect --> 2hrs at a time till 3mo that way I won't be disappointed or complaining about sleep when tired.  Yay for Low expectations! 
  • Thank you everyone for your support, kind words and suggestions. It has been hard. My husband is amazing. He has been taking her after a feed, changing her and then letting her sleep on him while he watches something on his laptop. This can only occur during the weekends. I feel better today. She did go down in the pack and play basinett for about 1.5 hours but this was after I made sure she was in the deepest of sleeps. The basinett is on a slight incline. I slept on the floor beside it as it's in our kitchen :/ I did feel rested lol and the dog even joined me which melted my heart. I do have support from my mom and she is coming tomorrow which will allow me some sleep during that day. I have a really hard time napping during the day and find that I am so functional and normal. Night time rolls around and I feel like impending doom. We are trying to be super positive. It is not her fault. She certainly loves her mom and dad. Now about the reflux question @Ivorytower2  I had a niece with severe reflux and it has been my deepest worry. They had such a horrible time with their new born, I remember thinking that I could never do that. They were strong to survive that and have a second! Kate does hiccup a lot but rarely spits up. She is a hard burper, I have to lie to her down and try multiple times to get a burp out. She was quite small when born and I'm wondering if since she was only 5 7oz at birth, now 6.5 lbs that maybe her digestive system is still just trying to catch up and she gets more uncomfortable at night. She is a super grunter at night and I think she honestly grunts herself awake. She also squeaks so much! I don't know how to explain it. It potentially could be reflux but she doesn't really cry or scream after eating which I've heard is a sign.

@kap1988 thanks for the suggestion for the co-sleeping bed, she unfortunately wants to be on me when sleeping or directly beside me or my husband. I wish that thing would work ahah. Also we haven't tried a soother yet. She is small and her latch isn't great so I've been nervous to introduce it. We use a nipple sheild currently and she has been feeding extremely well. I have a lot of supply and try to pump before she feeds as many times there is so much milk she is coughing for overactive let down. Do you think he pacifier would help?? Or hinder latch?? I am honestly okay to try anything. 

As for the rock and play, I have been actively looking for a used one or even one to borrow so I can try it out. If anyone is in Ontario seriously let me know if you have one! Ahah 

thanks again ladies !! I appreciate you all!!
  • @MsTurney forgive me if you've already said this//I'm spacing. have you talked to a LC? I have oversupply and overactive letdown - also had it with DD1. I only feed on one side don't switch just offer the same side again, ((I also have started block feeding sometime two -three feeds in a row), and every time I have a let down I pop baby off and express into a towel because otherwise she can't handle it and gets too much air. If you think some of her difficulty sleeping could be too much milk then I'd talk to the LC about block feeding. DO NOT try it on your own till confirmed that's the case though because it can unnecessarily cause issues with supply if it's not truly the problem! 
    But definitely take her off during let down and try not offering the other side unless she's not content on the first.

sorry you're having such a tough time still! It'll get better! Promise!!
  • @kjd291ive been going to an consultant and do have a follow up appointment April 18th. I'll have to bring this up for sure! 
  • vprodvprod member
    @motherofdragons-2 i have at least 2 letdowns each time we nurse, and I spring leaks. It's crazy! So the burping before putting back to sleep is essential..

As a clarification my LO was born 3 weeks early, and is 6 wks now. She literally sleeps 1.5 hours at a time. No longer stretches. :| My LC/Midwife just told me that baby is technically 3 weeks old now, so that sucks!! Thought we were close to those magical chilled out days, but this makes more sense given her horrendous feeding schedule.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I need help.
    Baby naps well during the day and we have a very loose routine. But after her last nap (5-6ish) it's become impossible to put her down for bed. This is a chaotic time at home with DD1 and 2 home from preschool, dinner, bedtime routine for big sisters). But the last few days have gotten worse. Baby will nurse nonstop from 7-10pm very very fussy, and at 10 she will vomit everything, nose jets and all, and continue to be fussy until after midnight. Then we both kinda pass out in the guest room. What in the world is happening.

I thought she was angry at my boobs bc she just wanted to suck but milk kept coming out. But I've tried pacis and she just spits them out. Tonight I handed her over to DH. I feel like a failure not being able to comfort her or get her to sleep. Any ideas???
  • @Cbeanz soundslike the glorious witching hour to me.  Happens here too. I only feed from one side because otherwise she takes in too much. And wrapping baby on me and constantly moving is usually the only other thing that will help.
    hugs!! It's so hard-especially when that time is also when were trying to help our other kids! 
  • Same story on my end too. My girl fights the sleep like it's her job. I literally watch her close her eyes and it's like once she realizes she's about to fall asleep she just starts crying again. Definitely my least favorite time of day. 
  • Frequent reader, infrequent poster but hope to join in more :)

DS is 2 weeks old, and fussy and nursing constantly from about 6 pm to 11 ish and for the past several nights, is down for a 4-5 hour stretch after. Not complaining too much but I'm worried about whether I should be waking hin for a feeding in between. After that feeding, he's up again every 1.5 to 2-3 hrs for the rest of the day, but just worried about that long stretch.
  • VeeMore said:
    Frequent reader, infrequent poster but hope to join in more :)

DS is 2 weeks old, and fussy and nursing constantly from about 6 pm to 11 ish and for the past several nights, is down for a 4-5 hour stretch after. Not complaining too much but I'm worried about whether I should be waking hin for a feeding in between. After that feeding, he's up again every 1.5 to 2-3 hrs for the rest of the day, but just worried about that long stretch.
    Unless you're pediatrician has advised you to---don't wwke a sleeping baby! Enjoy the sleep!!
  • I hate to go all sanctimommy here, but the RnP is not safe for sleeping. The semi-reclined position increases the risk of torticollis and flat heads and hasn't been shown to decrease the effects of acid reflux and new research shows may actually make it worse. Also swaddling in a semi-reclined position increases the risk of death - a baby here in Oklahoma died from this last year.

https://www.candokiddo.com/news/rocknplay
    https://pediatricinsider.wordpress.com/2013/04/29/the-fisher-price-rock-n-play-sleeper-is-not-for-sleeping/
    https://www.babybargains.com/fisher-price-rock-n-play-sleeper-miracle-soother-or-dangerous-crutch/

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • @Cbeanz Same story here too.  Wish I had advice but still working on figuring it out myself...but you aren't alone and you aren't a failure!!! 

@VeeMore I have also heard once they are up to birthweight you can stop waking them...but as long as there aren't weight concerns I say you're lucky and I'm jealous...enjoy the sleep!
  • kjd291 said:
    @Cbeanz soundslike the glorious witching hour to me.  Happens here too. I only feed from one side because otherwise she takes in too much. And wrapping baby on me and constantly moving is usually the only other thing that will help.
    hugs!! It's so hard-especially when that time is also when were trying to help our other kids! 
    @Cbeanz. Me too, and I remember this happening with my first at the same time of evening. Bedtime is so hard. The other night I literally apologized to my 2 year old, acknowledging that it wasn't really fair that he had to try to fall asleep while the baby was being so noisy. 
    BabyFruit Ticker