August 2017 Moms

Breastfeeding / Breast pumps/ FF

Re: Breastfeeding / Breast pumps/ FF

• Guys, I'm TERRIFIED of breastfeeding, but I'm willing to try because I'm a FTM and have no clue what it will actually be like. 

What do I need to know?
    What books do I need to read?
    How do I do it? (Lolololol)

please tell me all the things. don't hold back.

@britvahok and @HappytobeHere have great advice. My OB's office includes lactation consulting services & most hospitals do as well. Take full advantage! I won't lie, it won't be easy, but once you figure out the logistics it gets much better. My advice is to squish your boob (like a sandwich), put your nipple & most of your areola in LO's mouth, and baby should do the rest. 

Oh, my biggest tip for BF, drink lots and lots of water!  It takes so much water to make milk. Increased fluids, oatmeal & fenugreek capsules helped whenever my supply dipped.
    LSP87 said:
    Has anyone used the Freemie Hands Free Collection Cups?

I have 2 friends who swore by them! 
    Re pumps: I swear by the Medela PISA, but have heard good things about the Spectra. I've used an Ameda before, and I would not recommend it. 

@littlebug2010 I pumped at work with my first two babies. Most employers are required to give you a private, clean space in order for you to pump. We had a dedicated room for it (I worked at a progressive University that was pretty great at accommodating nursing moms). My advice is to keep your pump parts in a gallon ziploc in the fridge so you can just rinse them throughout the day & then thoroughly wash them once you get home. Push water, water & more water. Aim to pump 3-4 times during an 8 hr shift. 

@aehogan90 Both my boys got their first teeth at 6 months. DD didn't get a single tooth until 13 mos. Every kiddo is different. 
  • middy411middy411 member
    edited March 2017
    @aehogan90 my daughter got her first tooth at 4 months and had 8 teeth by 7 months. I just finished breastfeeding March 10 and she now has 12 teeth. The only difference is that it gets tender when they're in pain from the teething. I guess they suck/bite down harder to relieve their pain. 

I had had a very painful nursing experience for the first 3 months but was determined not to give up. I remember the first time I was able to breastfeed my daughter without clenching my breast and crying. I remember the first time I was able to feed her in the cradle position instead of the football position with a boppy. And my biggest feat was remembering the first time I nursed her under a cover in chick-fil-a. I felt like a super hero. She was born with a very strong suck and I think her mouth needed to grow a little bit for it to not cause me such pain. The LC's weren't much help because they said her latch was fine but that I shouldn't be experiencing any pain with a proper latch. Guess what, it's just painful for some people. I stressed and wracked my brain trying to figure out what was wrong. In time, the problem solved itself and I was able to have an incredibly enjoyable nursing experience with her. Then of course I went through oversupply, teething, growth spurts, appetite changes... it's a lot of work! But I found it to be totally worth the effort and feel more prepared this time around. Nursing while pregnant became very painful again due to my super tender nipples so I weaned her shortly after her 1st birthday with her pediatricians blessing.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had the in style and loved it. Im not sure who mentioned that they werent sure if their comfort room had s fridge or not but i kist kept a cooler with ice packs and that worked fine. We had a fridge but it was for everyone on the floor.  I only worked for a few months after I had DD and I never used it after that and after a year i switched her to whole milk. 

@aehogan90 I just nursed DD like normal after her teeth came in. She cut her first two round 4 months and luckily we never really had a biting problem. It happened a few times and hurt like a mother but i would just take me boob away at that time. 
  • @PinkPrincessPiper I do know that my work has mothers rooms, though Im not sure what they have in them.  According to our handbook, we can use the community fridge for storage, but those are always super full, so I will probably just use a cooler.  Thanks for the advice on holding/cleaning parts.  I have been very curious about how Im going to handle all that cleaning! 
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • Moms that have the Medela PISA - what type of spare parts did you need to purchase yourself? I am overwhelmed by all of the accessories they carry. Do I need anything extra?

I don't think I will be able to wash my pump parts during work. I will be pumping in my office and have a fridge but the water in our area has a sulfur smell and I do not want that contaminating my milk. Should I use the sterilizing wipes or maybe bottled water to rinse everything out between pumping? Should I wash everything at home at the end of the day instead? 
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• edited March 2017
    +1 on being man-handled by the LC as a FTM. The 2nd, 3rd time around I had it down pat, but they still thoroughly inspected my boob/baby's latch before giving their okay. So much for modesty lol. 

@BlackNYellow I bought extra valves (the first set eventually wore out) and extra flange liners (I can't think of a better term for them atm). Some bottles (Dr. Browns, Evenflo) fit the Medela pump so you don't necessarily have to buy Medela brand bottles.

I would suggest just rinsing with either bottled water or using the wipes (I'm really not sure which option would be cheaper/more convenient), and then do the thorough wash at home every night. 

• @BlackNYellow I had an extra set of flanges and a lot of storage bottles so I didn't need to wash everything as often.  You don't have to wash the parts during the day if they're kept in the refrigerator.  You can then wait until you get home to wash them.  I used the clean wipes when I was out at a meeting and needed to pump in my car or a place other than my office.  You also should replace the membranes every few months because they could get microscopic tears, which will affect the suction.  The only other thing I had was a car charger and nursing cover in case I needed to pump in my car.

I liked my Medela PISA, but since it's almost 9 years old and was used for a year while working with each of my 2 boys, I'd like to get a new one.  I need to see what's covered under insurance and I'll have to research the pumps, but I've also heard great things about the Spectra.  I'll probably get new tubing for the Medela to have as a backup especially if I need to pump in the car.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @BlackNYellow This $20 accessory kit pretty much covers all the extras you need. 

Medela Breast Pump Accessory Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00092A7E8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fEx3ybYASYSNG
  • I was looking at formula and next to the formula at Babies r us, they had babies r us jugs of water.  Do I need special water or is using water from my Brita good enough?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Kathryn0903 No, you don't. My pediatrician recommends using tap water because it's fluoridated. But I live in one of the highest rated cities for tap water. If you live in Flint, MI, I would definitely recommend bottled water! 
  • jaclynnn89jaclynnn89 member
    edited March 2017
    My insurance didn't cover a breast pump, so I rented a Medela Symphony from the hospital to try it out before committing to one. You just have to purchase the accessories pack (i don't remember specifically how much off the top of my head but it wasn't too expensive, and it works with other medela models). We ended up renting for only a month because we were moving but our hospital's policy was that the longer you rent for, the cheaper it is, plus it's a REALLY good one, super quick and a double breast pump. I liked it because you could swap out the size of the nipple shields and it wasn't one-size fits all. We ended up buying the Medela Swing in Australia and it was alright, not as good as the first one though. I think renting is a good option if you're unsure about BF or if you've never done it. I was soooo set on EBF until 6 months but life didn't turn out that way. DD needed formula to be supplemented with breast milk because she wasn't gaining enough weight and eventually we stopped before hitting 6 months because it was causing us more stress than not. It's a lot of money to put out if your insurance doesn't cover it to just have it sit in a cupboard.

EDIT: just to clarify.. you only rent the actual pump itself plus the wall power cord/plug. The nipple shields, storage containers, lines, attachments, etc are all part of the accessories kit you purchase new. Nothing that touches you or your breast milk has ever been used by anyone else. I was hesitant at first, but it's a hospital-grade pump and it works wonders!
  • (snipped)
    @britvahok and @HappytobeHere have great advice. My OB's office includes lactation consulting services & most hospitals do as well. Take full advantage! I won't lie, it won't be easy, but once you figure out the logistics it gets much better. (snipped)
    Re pumps: I swear by the Medela PISA, but have heard good things about the Spectra. I've used an Ameda before, and I would not recommend it. 

@littlebug2010 I pumped at work with my first two babies. Most employers are required to give you a private, clean space in order for you to pump. We had a dedicated room for it (I worked at a progressive University that was pretty great at accommodating nursing moms). My advice is to keep your pump parts in a gallon ziploc in the fridge so you can just rinse them throughout the day & then thoroughly wash them once you get home. Push water, water & more water. Aim to pump 3-4 times during an 8 hr shift
    (snipped)
    Wanted to echo these points. The LCs at the hospital helped a ton!  Side note, of you have a csection and are on pain meds, don't forget to start tending to your nipples right away with either lanolin or another nipple cream (I used Mama Earth Angel). I didn't and man did I have lots of pain after off the meds.

I had the Medela PISA. It was the most recommended one out there then and it was good for me. Moms in my other BMB who used the Ameda didn't love theirs. 

So many people don't know you can put the pump parts in a ziploc and in the fridge. I totally forgot that detail too. 

@aehogan90 I nursed until DD was 21 mos so we definitely dealt with many teeth. Just went on like normal. Did I get bit, yep but like @Nxy said, they figure it out when you "deny" the boob for a bit. 

I just want to add that breastfeeding can be extremely hard and it's not for everyone. It's honestly one of the harder things, imo, about becoming a new mom. For this very reason I do not give breastfeeding items as gifts at baby showers. I do not want a mom to feel obligated/pressured to BF if it's not the healthy choice for them and the baby. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• NxyNxy member
    Totally what @bumpybump said about pump parts in a ziplock in the fridge! 
    Also I'm sure I read this on the STM advice thread, I took a sports bra and cut holes in it for a hands free pumping bra.

(I stole this picture from google)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • NxyNxy member
    @southernmama15  :D That is exactly what I had in mind lol, perfect. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Nxy It's instantly what I thought of.
  • All I did was keep my pump parts in the fridge as well at work because I simply didn't have enough time to wash after every pump session. 

This time I'm actually going to bring some formula to the hospital as well because with DD my milk didn't come in for 5 days. I was exhausted and had a c section so I think that's why. I still ended up breastfeeding for a whole year even after supplementing in the hospital so don't be afraid of that. 

I'd highly recommend a manual pump too - I used it way more often than I thought I would, especially on road trips. Plus it was more effective for me than the normal medala pump. I just never got a ton from pumping but was fine with her breastfeeding- bodies are weird like that!

Does anyone else remember on the bump when there was a lactation consultant and she got kicked off the boards? I always thought she was super helpful and was really sad when that happened. This was circa 2013. 
  • katie0541katie0541 member
    edited March 2017
    This thread is so helpful! Just started my registry this week and totally stumped when I got to all the bottles/ feeding supplies! So are bottle warmers and bottle sterilizers huge time savers or an unnecessary waste of money? Do you just get one of a few different types of bottles to try them out?
  • @Kaityrj yes. If you go back and read some of the comments, there's some super helpful info :) Buy one of a couple different bottles. Don't sink a lot of money into any until you know what baby likes. You would be surprised. My daughter was picky. Don't waste your money on a bottle warmer or sterilizer. You don't need to sterilize more than once. But you can drop them in boiling water if you want to sterilize. I actually never did and my child is just fine.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • I wasn't sure I'd be able to BF my daughter due to my autoimmune disorder but I was prepared to try and to be okay if it didn't work out. Luckily my milk cane in almost immediately and I had an oversupply. My daughter was premature so it was frustrating but we kept trying and eventually it worked. I took a breastfeeding class at BabiesRUs... it was free and they have the pediatric nurses teach the class. I found it really helpful and felt better about trying it. I also had an amazing LC. My daughter was in the hospital more than she was home by the time she was 5 months old but my LC would always come by and check on us and I think is a huge reason we were so successful. I'm nervous about BF and pumping now with a toddler who is very demanding and a husband who works a ton of hours but once again I'm trying to prepare myself either way and see what works for us. It's more important for baby to be fed. 
  • Kaityrj said:
    This thread is so helpful! Just started my registry this week and totally stumped when I got to all the bottles/ feeding supplies! So are bottle warmers and bottle sterilizers huge time savers or an unnecessary waste of money? Do you just get one of a few different types of bottles to try them out?
    I never sterilized either. I just soaked them in hot soapy water for a bit before scrubbing them clean. I kept bottled water on the counter for his bottles. So it was room temp.  No need to heat. Luckily, my son took the bottle brand I bought. Playtex
  • Hot water acts just as well as a bottle warmer. Get hot water in a cup, and place the closed bottle in the water. Easy, cheap, and effective. Also, stop at restaurants when out and about and ask for hot water to warm a bottle. Believe me, you won't be the first or the last to do it. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @bubblesmtu My milk didn't come in until the end of day 4 with my first.  It typically takes longer with a c-section.  My milk came in a day or two earlier with my second (also a c-section) and I had an oversupply early on.  I think it came in earlier because our bodies remember what to do.  I had to supplement in the hospital the first time because DS1 ended up in the NICU for a few days and had lost too much weight, but once he came home, I EBF.  BFing was much easier for me the second time around and I didn't have any of the struggles I did with my first.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • For all the ladies who feel clueless as to which pump to pick and accessories, pumping schedules when working, etc - I read this entire site a few months ago and feel totally prepared now! As stated earlier, I chose the Spectra S1 for it's weight (2lb compared to 8lb for the Medela backpack), small size, rechargeable battery, recording option, and that it fits Wide mouth bottles right on the system with no adapters needed (plan to use Avent Natural bottles, so they are compatible). The Avent reusable cups they sell for milk storage also can screw right on so you pump into the cup, cap the cup, label the cup, and freeze it. Then you can put the Avent nipple right onto the cup and use it as a bottle. No need to dirty 15 containers for 4oz of milk. But again, this site helped me get started so I could make all these decisions. Best of luck, and remember, FED is best!

https://thepumpingmommy.com/product-reviews-and-accessories

BabyFruit Ticker
  • bumpybumpbumpybump member
    edited March 2017
    @budzynb I remember you saying you didn't want to BF. Does this mean you changed your mind and will try?  :)

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• middy411middy411 member
    edited March 2017
    Thank you for sharing @MetsGirl18 I also had a c section after a long labor and the hospital made me supplement and were so worried about DD losing almost 1lb (she was 8lb 13oz at birth). I kept feeling like something was wrong with me. Nobody informed me that it may take longer for my milk to come in. Even when it did come in I was paranoid that I wasn't producing enough and supplemented some. Luckily, my OB was not worried about the weight loss since her weight was so high at birth and did not make her stay in the hospital longer. Now that I know how things work I'm much more confident for this time. I'm having a repeat c section so it's great to hear that your body responded quicker this time. I don't plan to be pressured into supplementing as quickly this time, but of course will if I think it's necessary. 

Disclaimer: I never ended up buying formula or using any of the cans I got as samples during pregnancy. I used the ready to eat formulas at the hospital and then a couple more from my pediatrician. Once I ran out I refused to use any more formula. Let's just say I rationed it well and my milk came in (and I also dealt with oversupply) just in time. Knowing I wasn't going to use formula unless absolutely necessary helped me succeed in breastfeeding I think.
  • @smallbutmighty77 I got The Spectra S1 this time around. I used Medela with my last two and I don't think it was efficient enough. The Spectra has a suckling motion rather than a sucking motion and my body doesn't do well with pumps. I love how quiet the Spectra is!!! 
  • budzynbbudzynb member
    edited March 2017

bumpybump I am totally willing to EP, but I still fear pumping and BF more than being in labor. lol. I'm open to trying it for a few weeks and seeing how it goes :)

My mom had mentioned something about numbing cream for your nipples if you're super sensitive. Anybody know anything about this? How does that not numb baby's mouth as well if BF?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Agree with @britvahok on Mama Earth Angel Nipple Cream. My mom is allergic to lanolin so I didn't even attempt the ones with lanolin (plus I don't want my LO sucking lanolin). This one was great. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I was prescribed an "all purpose nipple ointment" by my OB after a week or so of very painful nursing and bleeding nipples. It helped, I think lol. I also used lanolin but now I want to try this Earth Mama cream after seeing everyone rave about it.
  • If you're going to pump in any way, especially if it's just at work, you will need the following:

- An extra set of flanges/ bottles to keep at work.  At some point, you will forget them.  And your boobs will not thank you for it.
    - Lanolin nipple cream.  I really liked lasinoh brand, bc it wasn't super sticky like some other brands I tried.
    - If you have a good supply, milk bags for freezing.  Or, extra bottles to keep at work with you.  These can also be rubber banded to the top part of the pump if you forget bottles.
    - An electric, double breast pump.  Depending on how often you pump, it can take anywhere from 10-30min, and that becomes per boob if you only have a single.  Manual pumps are the devil.  Battery operated pumps work if you're unable to hook up an electric pump, like if you're on a car trip.
    - Double pump bra.  There's nothing quite like forgetting it at home and having to hold flanges to your chest for twenty minutes.  
    -Refrigerate all your pump parts during the day!  There's no point to washing every single time.
    - Medela microwave sterilizing bags are awesome with pumping parts (I believe you can't put the tubes in them, though), bc it's hard to clean some of the pieces.
    -I brought a nook with me every time I pumped at work/ home.  It's boring when you're just staring at the wall.
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @ColoradoHiker That is a great list! Im assuming you have some good experience with this, so did you use a special bag for your pump, or the pump bag, or did the pump just fit inside your work bag?  Pump bags are freaking expensive, and I already have a really nice work bag, so I would rather not have to buy one if I can avoid it. 
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
  • @LittleBug2010 I splurged for the bag for the pump, and IMO it was worth it. it all fit so nicely. I still carried a work bag, because I didn't want to worry about pump part or milk spilling on my work paper. Also, if the pump is in it's own bag, you don't have to worry about it getting dirty
  • @Kudlica27 good points. I dont carry anything but my lunch and my laptop, and when the weather is stupid, some cold gear, because Im a web developer.  You are right, that I would hate to spill in my nice bag though!  Which bag did you get? 
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • @littlebug2010  I EP'd for 10 months, haha.  My pump was my bff.  I had the Medela Pump In Style Advanced, but it mostly was for at home and wherever we traveled.  My company is very pro- breastfeeding, so they actually have three or four pumping rooms on the campus here, and supply Medela Symphony pumps, which are hospital grade.  (I would get one of those in a second if my insurance would cover it!)  

If you can fit the pump in your bag, I say go for it.  If not, I'd consider the bookbag/ a larger bag and just keep in mind that it's not forever!  Your insurance may cover the starter set that includes the bookbag, too.
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I bought the Hygeia pump (loooove it!) and it came with a nice bag as well as a thermos bag for the milk. I upgraded to the battery option and I don't think I ever really plugged it in lol. I ended up staying home but I thought I would be returning to work before I had the baby.
  • @littlebug2010 this is the bag I got with my pump (and these accessories.) I think I paid $40  to add the bag and accessories to my pump (my pump was covered by insurance) but I loved it. There's actually enough extra space on top to throw in a few extra things. 

https://www.toysrus.com/buy/electric-breast-pumps/medela-pump-in-style-advanced-breast-pump-on-the-go-tote-57063t-10812796