August 2017 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding / Breast pumps/ FF

Re: Breastfeeding / Breast pumps/ FF

• Options
    @tova24 I didn't call my insurance while I was in the hospital. I just made sure to call them within the 30 day period. We will not be changing our plan after LO arrives.
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Options
    @tova24 we definitely didn't do it right away. There was already a lot to do/read/understand while in the hospital. I think I had to wait for her SS card to come in the mail too? Or maybe I just added that later once it came in, I can't remember. I called FMLA and insurance once I was back home and settled. I'm not sure if I changed my plan but I just reviewed everything and made the necessary selections. I quit my job before returning to work so we ended up switching everyone over to DH's insurance anyways. I remember trying to make sure I was on top of the birth certificate and SSN mostly.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kvh22kvh22 member
    edited June 2017
    @bumpybump I have the same experience as @mrsmatt1212. I have a high deductible plan which I haven't met yet. My breast pump was still covered as part of my inclusive benefits - through aeroflow as well although started the process through edgepark - they didn't have the upgrade option I wanted and wouldn't send it until July so I did Aeroflow instead. The most annoying thing with my plan is that my lab benefit is somewhat restrictive (my OB is part of a network of doctors/offices here but blood draws, ultrasounds, etc. need to be done somewhere else as their office/lab is considered "out of network" with a separate deductible). When I complain as if it's all HDHPs that suck, DH says "it's just the plan your company chose - they're all kind of different." I have no co-pay so I'm trying not to look a gift horse in the mouth.

ETA: @tova24 FTM so can't help on the dependent addition but I am looking into whether I want to switch plans after LO is born. I'm very interested in how this works with the deductibles, etc. so I think I'm going to be spending a good amount of time on the phone trying to figure it out. Not at all looking forward to that. DH's company pricing is extremely deterrent to adding spouse/dependents whereas mine is more family friendly but I wish the researching part was something he could do instead.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    @tova24, DH carries our plan and he either already had the paperwork or called very soon after. When I got the paperwork I filled out what I could while waiting to get his ss card and birth certificate. I faxed it as soon as I got it. 
  • Options
    tova24tova24 member
    Thanks mamas! It's always great to hear all y'alls experiences were like! I already programmed all the phone numbers in my phone and I was thinking "who the hell do I call first?!?" Glad I can put off the insurance company for awhile!
  • Options
    Hmm, maybe I'll just call our insurance and verify if it's covered prior to meeting the deductible or not. It kind of pisses me off that I have to wait. Thanks @mrsmatt1212 and @kvh22

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Those that formula fed, do I need to boil water or can I use my Brita water?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Those that formula fed, do I need to boil water or can I use my Brita water?
    We started with nursery water, but eventually did filtered water 
  • Options
    I liked to use flouride free nursery water but filtered water is fine. 
  • Options
    @Kathryn0903 I used Nursery Water with my firstborn when we starting supplementing formula. My Pedi actually recommends tap water because it is floridated, but we've used filtered water with our subsequent babies. 
  • Options
    Has anyone ever attended a La Leche League meeting before? Is there any benefit or reason to go prior to baby being born?  I just saw my local library has one on July 14th and I didn't know if it would be weird or helpful to go.  I EPed with DS and would really like to nurse this baby, so I am hoping to be proactive.  If anyone has experience and thinks it would be a waste of my time, please let me know. Thanks!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Both of these articles popped up on my Facebook feed this week and I thought they were fascinating. 

Breastfeeding was incredibly important to me before I gave birth to my first, and I EBF'd her for 13 months and my second for 27 months. However, both started off incredibly painful for me and I would get so annoyed every time I heard the phrase that "breastfeeding isn't supposed to hurt". Granted, once my nipples toughened up and baby and I got into a routine it didn't hurt and is the most amazing thing ever, but I think there should be more discussion of how to cope with and address the initial discomfort. That being said, two of my closest girl friends had no nipple pain, so everyone's experience varies:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/why-arent-moms-warned-about-how-painful-early-breastfeeding-can-be_us_58ed169be4b0c89f912214ec

I never went to breastfeeding support groups (which I probably should have), but my mother breastfed me and was super supportive the whole time, which I think helped so much:
    https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2017/06/26/534021439/secrets-of-breast-feeding-from-global-moms-in-the-know?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20170626

DD#1: 5/29/12

DD#2: 1/14/15

Baby #3 on the way due 8/19/17

• Options
    middy411middy411 member
    edited June 2017
    @donehue I had the exact same experience and frustrations! The LCs said baby latched great, had no issues, strong suck. But I was in incredible pain for 3 whole months. One day it slowly started to get better but I spent so much time stressing about what was wrong and trying to combat the pain. This time I'm not going to stress as much if it is really painful again but I also hate when people say "it's not supposed to hurt". Like you said, everyone is different. I felt like my LO's mouth had to get bigger or something. I'm glad I stuck with it because I wasn't sure if the pain would ever end
  • Options
    @middy411 with DD2 I also felt like it was a nipple to mouth size ratio issue! 

• Options
    JWatt5JWatt5 member
    @kristenk727 - I just went to one - they had a short intro meeting after my "Empowered Pushing" class I just went to. It was nice to have a better idea of what they can help out with when the time comes.

Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• Options
    Ok so.... I have a really stupid question about breastfeeding "fashion." I'm scouting nursing bras and tanks on Zulily right now. 

I'm an A-cup so could probably get away with just nursing tank tops. It looks like you just unhook the side, but does that leave the top of your breast exposed? (I'm modest, ok.) Or are these usually made with a hole in the under-layer? I've looked at some styles in person at stores but Zulily is just much more cost-effective. 

And if you do go with a bra, are you both unhooking the bra and hiking up your t-shirt, leaving your belly exposed?

I do anticipate going with a light cover-up anyway but the logistics have me puzzled here, especially if I need to feed somewhere public i.e. restaurant. Thanks!  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    JWatt5JWatt5 member
    @DeansGirl14 - I'm planning a lot of nursing tanks (that will even go under a shirt). I'm quite modest as well but I have a feeling, that it's something that we'll get more comfortable with at home. I don't even walk in my underwear around the house usually but the last few weeks - get the clothes off of me hehe. 

Then I have a nursing cover I plan to use when in public https://theover.co/ - this is the one I bought. There's nursing t shirts/sweaters too that my friends have really liked that look like this - https://www.thymematernity.com/en/765863.html?cgid=nursing-baby-nursing-tops&amp;dwvar_765863_color=Dark Grey Mix#start=
    TTC #1 07.2015
    TTC #2 06.2019

• Options
    @DeansGirl14 my friend who is also pretty modest wears a t-shirt and nursing tank basically all the time. And uses a nursing cover. So t-shirt goes up (covering the top of her chest), nursing tank side goes down (covering her belly) and then she also uses the nursing cover.
  • Options
    Nursing "fashion" is so hard! I agree that the tank/t-shirt combo would work best for modest people. I am not small chested enough to go tank only though so it is usually bra/tank/shirt. I am stocking up on lots of shirts right now that have the open front. Gap has a lot of great nursing stuff and you can usually get it 40-50% off. Here is an example of a daytime shirt I bought:

https://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=15098&pcid=1023948&vid=1&pid=553029002

I bought two of these for sleeping as I just pull down the top:
    https://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=15098&pcid=1023948&vid=1&pid=730212002

These have been my sleep nursing bras for all pregnancies/babies (they are seamless and so comfy):
    https://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1015381&pcid=34524&vid=1&pid=421043352

And then for my "first three month of nursing" daytime bras I love Cake brand. They might go on sale at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale coming up:
    https://shop.nordstrom.com/sr?contextualcategoryid=2375500&origin=keywordsearch&keyword=cake&top=72&brand=8516

I wear a Victoria's secret lined/wired bra after 3 months when I go to work and then sports bras on the weekends. 

Also, one of the blogs I like recently did this post on nursing friendly summer dresses
     https://themomedit.com/2017/06/nursing-friendly-summer-dresses/

(Working from home today and having focus problems, hence the abundance of links...)

• Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    JWatt5JWatt5 member
    @donehue - love The Gap for maternity and nursing! (and would have been a better example than the Canadian sites I posted!). 
    Cake bras are great, also like the Bravado by Medela bras a lot!
    TTC #1 07.2015
    TTC #2 06.2019

• Options
    I am also very modest and could never get comfortable nursing in public.  I always wore a shirt over the tank, but loved that the tank covered my stomach and the shirt covered the top of my boob. I also really love the brand Milk, but they are kind of pricy. 
  • Options
    Anyone who has formerly or currenting BF have to cut things out due to issues with baby? I don't want to preempt an issue but my 14 month old DD is allergic to dairy. She was formula fed, but I do plan on trying to nurse this baby. Since she has the allergy, it's possible he might also, so I just wanted advice beforehand so I can figure out how to make it work if it happens.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Options
    belmont1785belmont1785 member
    edited June 2017
    @aehogan90

My daughter has 20+ IGE food allergies and FPIES (you Can Google it it's too hard to explain). I am the queen of elimination diets unfortunately and a little scared this time around as our chances are 50 percent for another FPIES baby.

My daughter started having problems around 4 weeks of age. 
  • Options
    @aehogan90 I wouldn't automatically assume baby 2 will have the same allergies. I had to remove soy from my diet because DS had a sensitivity. He grew out of it by the time he was 2.5 though. 
  • Options
    @belmont1785
    Eek FPIES is terrifying.  My cousins son had it and it broke my heart seeing all that they all has to endure.  He did eventually outgrow it at around 2.5 or 3, and now eats everything with no allergies.  Hopefully your daughter outgrows it as well, fingers crossed. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    katie0541katie0541 member
    edited July 2017
    I'm a little confused by all of the various nipple ointments, salves, butters available and their various uses. I might be reading recommendations/lists wrong but it sounds like I need to use something prior to pumping/BFing for lubrication, something for moisturizing on a daily basis (or can you keep using regular body lotion for this?), and another product for soothing/healing/pain relief?

if all of those are needed, which will be needed most immediately that I should pack in hospital bag? Or is there one product (I've heard of nursing butter?) that does it all effectively?
  • Options
    @Kaityrj

I didn't use a single thing when I was bf.

I was lucky and never had dryness or any issues. 
  • Options
    lynkatlynkat member
    @Kaityrj I loved my Earth Mama Angel Baby nipple butter. It was moisturizing and soothing.
  • Options
    @Kaityrj I second the Earth Mama Angel Baby nipple butter for discomfort. My lactation consultant recommended to rub a little breast milk on and around the nipple (and let it air dry) after pumping or bfing to avoid chafing and in my 16 days of pumping experience it's worked great so far!
  • Options
    I had an especially painful time breastfeeding. I used lanolin as well as the leaving milk on the nipple trick at first. After seeing my OB, she prescribed an ointment for me to use to promote healing and relief. I also used coconut oil on occasion. The absolute best thing for me was those little circular cool gel pads they gave me in the hospital and at my LC appointment. You may not have as much pain/cracking/bleeding during your breastfeeding experience. This time I got the Earth Mama Angel Baby butter after seeing all the recommendations on this site for that. If I have the same painful experience this time I will likely ask my OB for the prescription again.
  • Options
    @aehogan90 I'd personally wait to see if LO has any reactions/allergies. There's no way for you to know if there will be any. I didn't personally have to change my diet at all to accommodate LO. I know people who have and people who haven't. 

@kaityrj I also liked Mama Earth Angel Nipple Butter. Start using it right away in the hospital after every feeding. I also agree to the cooling gel nipple pads. I'd put them on when I had any extra pain/discomfort. I didn't apply any lotion to my breasts. Be careful you only get products on and around your nipples that the LO can ingest safely. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    For women who got the Spectra- did you get any extra parts? Mine came with a few bottles/ hose/ shields but I have heard I should get extra valves, membranes, connectors for medela..all sorts of stuff. Any thoughts/ advice? Where did you get yours?
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Options
    @smallbutmighty77 that sounds like what I got. I'm waiting to make sure my milk comes in before spending a ton on extras. Target sells medela so I figure if I need anything I can go there or order on amazon. I keep forgetting to look, but apparently there are lots of hacks to use medela parts with the spectra pumps 

• Options
    @Kaityrj I just used Lansinoh cream after BFing at the beginning because I had cracked/sore nipples.  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    kvh22kvh22 member
    @smallbutmighty77 I have the spectra but am a FTM so I don't have any other parts from a medela or otherwise to worry about trying to get to fit. All I've ordered for extras so far is two adapters to go from the spectra to pump directly into the normal bottles and freezer bags (basically any bottle/bag that would fit directly on the medela pump). They were $4 each from Aeroflow which is where I got my breastpump. This was cheaper than I could find on amazon. I am planning to pump when I go back to work but like @SouthernMama15 said, I'm waiting to see before spending more than that $8 on those adapters.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    I'm sorry if this was already brought up, but if you're getting the Spectra pump, what bag are you buying to carry it in for work?  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @MetsGirl18 I am hoping to get the Sarah Wells Lizzy bag. I have a laptop that goes with me to and from work, so I wanted something that could be my one and only bag to carry up and back. This has the space and I don't have to worry about taking the pump out.  
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Options
    lewlivlewliv member
    @MetsGirl18 I'm getting Sarah Wells Kelly