August 2017 Moms

Breastfeeding / Breast pumps/ FF

Re: Breastfeeding / Breast pumps/ FF

• I also took the same prenatals I took during pregnancy while nursing/PP. My pediatrician said that I should just continue taking prenatals until I'm finished having children since you "never know" when you may wind up pregnant again. Sure enough I got pregnant when DD1 was 8 months old. I didn't wean her til after 1 year but I would still be taking my prenatals even if I wasn't pregnant right now due to his recommendation.
  • Thanks everyone for your input. I think Target has discontinued the ones I've been taking, I stocked up when I found a bunch on clearance. I have a couple weeks worth left so now to find something else I like. I do have a voucher for some Enfamil vitamins for breastfeeding, I may look into those. I was religious about vitamins for 3 months before getting pregnant the first time, but this time I didn't take them as far in advance, but I was on vitamin D and B12
  • Loading the player...
  • Be sure to sign up at the Enfamil, Similac, and Gerber websites to get free samples and coupons for formula. Even if you don't use them, it's likely someone in need near you would love to have them. Or even in your BMB. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• NxyNxy member
    I need nursing bra suggestions for D/DD cups please! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • tova24tova24 member
    @Nxy I'm wearing a Medela seamless nursing bra. It comes in sizes xs-xl. I'm a 40D right now (I used to be a 34B. Crazy.) and am wearing an XL. 
  • Nxy said:
    I need nursing bra suggestions for D/DD cups please! 
    I could never find anything comfy (I have DD/DDD) so I wore nursing tanks exclusively for about 7 months (with nursing pads). 
  • @Nxy I'm a lot smaller but I've loved Bravado nursing bras as has everyone I know that's used them. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• lewlivlewliv member
    +1 Bravado bras! 
  • NxyNxy member
    I could never find anything comfy (I have DD/DDD) so I wore nursing tanks exclusively for about 7 months (with nursing pads). 
    You found those to be enough support? I tried just nursing tanks with DD and holy cow did my back hurt. 

@bumpybump do you find them to run true to size? All the base has is the lamaze brand nursing sleep bras and I really don't like them so I'll have to order online 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Nxy - they didn't have a ton of support but I don't remember my back hurting from them(I used the Gillian O'Malley brand from target). I had more issues with the normal nursing bras underwire because my breasts would fluctuate in size so much throughout the day. 
    Havent heard of bravado brand, I'll have to check it out too
    Another reason I liked the tanks is i felt less exposed when pumping at work. It's always freeeezing in the mothers room. 
  • @Nxy I was fitted once my milk came in at our hospital boutique (which is now closed :(). But based on the measurements and their sizing, they fit great. I had the original and another type (I'll have to look it up). 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @Nxy I've been a D while nursing and also mainly used the Target nursing tank tops.  I had a few nursing bras without underwire from Target and Motherhood Maternity, but none of them were super comfortable.  I have heard great things about Bravado and may look into those this time around.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • kvh22kvh22 member
    STMs: How did you get sized once your milk came in? I can't picture leaving the house to get sized with a newborn or just leaving the little one with DH for that purpose during his paternity leave. I have a fabric measuring tape. Can I just do it myself and order online? I've also heard great things about bravado but it'd be an investment so I want to get the right size.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @kvh22 I didn't wind up nursing long and the ones I had did fit. However, you should be able to find some good tutorials online that teach you how to measure.  There's a specialty lingerie shop called Livi Rae lingerie (they used to have a show on lifetime) and I've heard their site has great resources for sizing at home.
  • @kvh22  FTM here, but I've used this bra size calculator to figure out my size on my own with a fabric measuring tape. It sometimes recommends a smaller band size than I'm comfortable with, but it gives you sister sizes to try on and figure out what fits.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kvh22 does your hospital happen to have a boutique in it? That's where I got fitted right after my milk came in while still at the hospital.

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• kvh22kvh22 member
    @bumpybump that is a great question! I haven't done my hospital tour yet so I'll look into it. Thanks, everyone, for the help!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• I breastfed my daughter for almost 2.5 years and I work full time (typically 50+ hours a week) so my pump gets a workout. I plan on doing the same routine for my new baby when she comes.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Naya or Babyation pumps here. I had issues with Medela so I used a Hygeia Q for 2 years (with DD1) and it was great but it was starting to die by the end of the 2 year pumping period and as often as I use my pump I decided to try something that is supposed to be more comfortable this time around. The Naya Health pump uses water instead of air and is a hospital grade closed system so I have high hopes. I won't actually receive it until the end of July (back ordered) but I have my trusty Hygeia to use until the new one arrives if baby comes before the pump. 

I saw a couple people ask when to start pumping. I started pumping the day after my daughter was born with the hospital pump but my milk took about 1.5 days to come in. I knew I was going back to work at 6 weeks so I needed to build up a supply quickly soI pumped after baby nursed each time which also helped me produce more milk. 

A little advice from someone who made mistakes the first time.

1. Pump and then distribute the milk into 1 or 2 oz portions to store. In the beginning, baby will only drink small amounts at a time and you have to throw away any unused milk or thawed milk no more than 24 hours later. You will be so sad if you thaw out 20 oz and then have to throw all that hard earned milk away!

2. Drink LOTS of fluids! I mean you need to be drinking the same amount of water as the amount of milk you plan on pumping out. So, if you hope to produce 40 oz of milk, you need to drink 30-40 EXTRA ounces of water so you don't get dehydrated and stop producing. 

3. if you are going to be pumping invest in a hands-free pumping bra, a manual pump, and a car A/C adapter. You never know when you'll be at a place that doesn't have a place for you to plug in and be private at the same time so you will probably end up pumping in your car at least once. I can't even count the number of times I had to attend a training or conference and opted to pump for 20 min in my car instead of in the bathroom or some random hotel hallway.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm a 42 DDD and go up to a 42 G/H when I'm breastfeeding (at least the first year). I have to order my bra's special and all but one of them has an underwire. I know it's a total no-no but you gotta do what you gotta do. maybe if I was a SAHM it would be different but I have to look professional for my clients and it can't be done with my girls escaping everywhere!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • tova24tova24 member
    @SouthernMama15 I just read that and started laughing...and then peed a little. Lol. 
  • As a FTM how do you decide which pump to get since insurance only covers one (or 2 if your first has to be hospital grade per doctors prescriptio)? There are so many reviews on all of them that I have no idea how to decide which is best...
  • @playingonadream
    I've never heard of either of those brands of pumps.  I EP'ed for my first and thought I was pretty well-versed in the pumping world, but I guess not.  Unless they're new?  I personally prefer to stick with the well-known brands.

@mrsashworth522
    I remember being overwhelmed as a FTM when it came time to picking my pump.  My insurance only gives like 5 options, so that alone helped me to narrow it down.  Reviews are overwhelming like you said, so I chose a Medela for the convenience....Babies R Us, Buy Buy Baby, and Target all carry replacement parts and extra bottles for the Medela, and Amazon has the stuff that the stores don't carry.  Are there better pumps out there? Maybe.  But Medela is a well known and reputable brand, and the convenience factor made it totally worth it for me!  

Pregnancy Ticker

• @kristenk727 I was leaning towards the Medela anyways because of the feasibility for replacement pieces. But then there are different levels and that's where I get even more lost. Like which version do I want? I guess I'll have to get ahold of insurance and figure things out...thanks!
  • @mrsashworth522
    For what it's worth, I had the Pump in Style Advanced, and have no complaints about it.  I considered getting a Spectra for this time, but decided to get another PISA because I loved the feasibility of it.  I have a lot of bottles and parts leftover already, and I love that it's compatible with Dr. Browns bottles, so you can literally screw the bottle on and pump right into the bottle.  Saves on the dishwashing!!  :)

Pregnancy Ticker

• I have slightly different advice than @playingonadream.  Everyone is different and it's a trial and error process, but this is what worked for me.  

I don't recommend pumping after every feeding.  That could easily create an oversupply issue because you're telling your body to produce more at each feeding.  If you don't have to go back to work right away, wait at least 4 weeks to pump in order to establish your supply and try to avoid an oversupply.  I did need to pump for a few minutes for relief a few times early on, but didn't start pumping on a regular basis until 4-6 weeks PP.  For me, pumping once per day after the first morning feeding was enough to create a good freezer stash.  DS1 hated to be put down so I couldn't imagine pumping so often.  Plus, he took 45-60 minutes to nurse and it was exhausting.  I recommend continuing to pump once per day on the weekends too just to maintain supply.  I know some people say you don't need much of a freezer stash, but for me it helps.  I know that my schedule gets crazy with meetings both in and out of the office and I typically don't get to pump at the same time every day or even as often as I probably should.  Plus when I get a cold and once my period returns, my supply really tanks during those times.  Having the freezer stash means I don't need to stress if I don't produce enough for the next day because I have enough to get by.

I occasionally froze some milk in 2 oz portions, but most of the time froze in 4+ oz portions.  I had a large freezer stash and thought it was easier to freeze in bigger portions.  I found out pretty quickly that my kids preferred when the frozen milk was mixed with milk that was pumped within the last few days.  In order to rotate my freezer stash, I'd use the frozen milk mixed with recently pumped milk in the first bottle or two of the day.  I generally kept at least a few Medela storage bottles of milk in the refrigerator and would freeze the rest.  Depending on how much they were drinking at the time, I'd either use 1 bag split up among 2 bottles or 1 bag per bottle.  I labeled the bottles so the daycare teachers knew which ones to use first.  Since they didn't always get to the last bottle of the day before pickup, I made sure that one just had freshly pumped milk.  That way, I didn't waste milk or have to worry about using it within 24 hours.

My hospital gave me a manual pump when I was discharged for the first time and I hated it.  I had a double electric pump already, but tried to use it once or twice when I didn't have access to an outlet.  It provided some relief, but was so annoying to use and it was inefficient.  Having a car adapter was great though because I never knew when meetings away from the office would run late.  I just had a nursing cover with me in the car at all times in case I wasn't in the most private area and wanted to make sure I was covered up when pumping in the car.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @mrsashworth522 I got to pick between 2 each time, medela or spectra. The first time I went with the medela as I had heard more about it. This time I chose the spectra as I didn't love the medela,  but my milk never truly came in. I figured I'd have 2 options this time and the medela is still practically new. I agree with @kristenk727 that extra medela parts are easily accessible, but I have noticed that my local target has several options and if all else fails, I have Amazon prime. I'm taking my pump to the hospital this time if only just to stimulate. I didn't realize when DS was born that c section babies swallow a lot of amniotic fluid at birth and the first day his little tummy was full of fluid so he didn't eat much or even really try. He wound up losing more than 10% of his body weight and it really scared me. I didn't even know until the day we left and the on call pediatrician told me and chewed me out. This time I plan on asking for weights when they check him so I'm more aware.
  • @SouthernMama15
    I'm almost positive that there are hacks to make the spectra compatible with Medala parts.  If you YouTube it, there should be tons of videos to help you do it.  I've heard great things about the Spectra!!

Pregnancy Ticker

• @kristenk727 I've heard that, too. Making a mental note to research that, thanks for reminding me!
  • I had the Hygeia Enjoye last time and opted for the battery option. I almost never plugged it in and that was truly fantastic (especially while traveling). I'm ordering the same pump this time but since my insurance has changed over to my husband's I can't order til the baby is born. You can just go on their website and enter your insurance info to see if it's covered. I don't think it's nearly as popular as the Medela or Spectra I keep hearing people talk about but it was a fantastic pump for me! Perhaps if anyone is looking for a different option.
  • @playingonadream I have personally not heard of those brands of pumps. I'm personally getting a pump that my insurance covers as are most of the other ladies. Maybe if we worked 50 hours a week and were as professional as you we could get this fancy pumps and nice bras. I guess since I'm just a stay at home mom I'll have to use my old medela or new spectra and pray my saggy boobs don't escape and slap me or some unfortunate bystander in the face.
    And this would be why I have stayed off these forums this pregnancy. Was just trying to offer advice based on my experience and make sure people knew there were other options. My insurance completely covered my hygeia my first pregnancy and is covering most of the cost of my new Naya pump this pregnancy. I have to work and I'm not ashamed that I work hard yet manage to feed my kid. I work in a male dominated field where comments about my pregnancy, breasts, time taken to have a baby, and my clothing are common occurrence. I learned my last pregnancy that the comments after I returned were pretty difficult to deal with. Be glad it's just the other mom's in your playgroup and your husband commenting about your sagging boobs and not some 50 year old manager staring down your shirt at a meeting.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @playingonadream I have personally not heard of those brands of pumps. I'm personally getting a pump that my insurance covers as are most of the other ladies. Maybe if we worked 50 hours a week and were as professional as you we could get this fancy pumps and nice bras. I guess since I'm just a stay at home mom I'll have to use my old medela or new spectra and pray my saggy boobs don't escape and slap me or some unfortunate bystander in the face.
    And this would be why I have stayed off these forums this pregnancy. Was just trying to offer advice based on my experience and make sure people knew there were other options. My insurance completely covered my hygeia my first pregnancy and is covering most of the cost of my new Naya pump this pregnancy. I have to work and I'm not ashamed that I work hard yet manage to feed my kid. I work in a male dominated field where comments about my pregnancy, breasts, time taken to have a baby, and my clothing are common occurrence. I learned my last pregnancy that the comments after I returned were pretty difficult to deal with. Be glad it's just the other mom's in your playgroup and your husband commenting about your sagging boobs and not some 50 year old manager staring down your shirt at a meeting.

• Wasn't meant as superiority or condescension. I cannot afford special bras but don't get much choice since I cannot find things that fit at Target. We live on a super tight budget and are barely keeping our head above water most weeks. For what it's worth, which is nothing, that wasn't how I intended it to come across and I apologize that it did. 

Babyation had 2 beta user groups that people I know participated in. I don't know when they are actually shipping the product, one of the reasons why I opted for the Naya. 

I started posting because I have a lot of time sitting for my NSTs and this weekend I had 4 hours of driving with my 3 year old to survive. I tried to share things I hadn't seen posted and answer questions I saw throughout the thread. 

As for the multiple user names, I only have one, but I was having issues with my profile and ended up changing my username with phone support to try and correct a security issue and it changed my name across all the sites.  

I'll go back to my PGAL and breastfeeding groups and leave you all to it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Anyone have a high deductible health plan (HDHP) where once you hit your deductible, everything else is covered? I contacted Aeroflow like many of you and their only response back was, "you get a free pump once you hit your deductible." Which I already knew. My question is, did anyone order their pump before hitting the deductible? I realize I'd pay for the pump and it should go towards the deductible.

Last pregnancy I had to wait for a prescription to be written once DD was born then picked up my pump at the hospital boutique which is now closed. Aeroflow is telling me I don't need the prescription this time. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• tova24tova24 member
    I have a plan like this. I've already hit my deductible because my OB requires you to pay his fees before 35 weeks and then you can also pay part of your hospital bill. Plus, this whole time I've been going to my endocrinologist appointments. 

I ordered my pump through Edgepark (I think that's the name) around 20 weeks. The pharmacy sent my dr a prescription request and I got the pump 4 days later. 
  • @bumpybump weird. We have a high deductible plan and have not met it yet, but I used Aeroflow and they said nothing of the like, just that it was covered and that they'd reach back out one month before my due date to place the order.
  • tova24tova24 member
    Speaking of insurance plans, how was your experience when it came to adding a dependent onto your plan? Did you have LO and then immediately dial up your insurance company or did you wait 30 days? Also, since this counts as a life event, is anyone thinking of switching their plan level?