May 2017 Moms

Weekend Randoms 3/18&19

124»

Re: Weekend Randoms 3/18&19

• @Jens_Hoes what did you do in the past to deserve all of this bad luck? I think you need to live in a bubble. Joking aside, hope your power gets fixed soon and at least your H was trying to fix it and not put it off. 
  • When do y'all install the car seats? 1 month before the due date? I don't really remember what I did with DD.
  • Loading the player...
  • RE hair - I've been growing mine out since I had chopped off at least 13 inches at the beginning of my first pregnancy. My hair was nice then but I wanted to experience it long and fuller. I figured I'll get it chopped again after LO is born around when my hair starts to shed like crazy, if not sooner.

I feel yall on nerves regarding breastfeeding! I had a lot of tears the first time around. Having DH's support was the most important thing to get me through it. I suggest that FTMs who are determined to make sure your DH/SO know to encourage you  (reasonably). My mom on the otherwise as like just switch to formula, it'll be fine. I was just too determined to ride it out if she was getting enough milk from me. I do remember by 2 months it got so much easier. 

• bacorrea said:
    When do y'all install the car seats? 1 month before the due date? I don't really remember what I did with DD.
    With both boys, DH installed the seats the day we left the hospital. I am sure we will do the same this time. Lucia's seat is still sitting in the original packaging. I figure we still have plenty of time.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Rough weekend, @Jens_Hoes! I'm sorry you're dealing with all that.

Does anyone know if tea tree oil is okay to use in oils and lotions during pregnancy? I have an appointment tomorrow so I'll try to remember to ask then. My cousin offered to get me a spa treatment and I'm looking at a foot massage where they use a tea tree oil foot balm. 
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• @Jens_Hoes oh no! You just can't catch a break! You deserve ice cream.

My hair has been much more manageable with pregnancy, and it's been so nice not losing half of it every day! This made me remember a question though - my hair goes all the way down to my butt and I love it. It's taken years to get it this long. But people keep asking me when I'm going to cut it! Is that really something I may have to do? I just figured I'd put it up in a bun most of the time. I did that for work everyday anyways, so that's not a big deal for me. I just can't believe how many people mention it and I feel like I'm not catching on to something.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • @Kipperoo thank you so much for the encouragement!  I really do beat myself up a lot so I'll just have to practice some grace for myself if I don't love the newborn phase. Hopefully my love for baby will be enough to get me through :)
  • SKZWSKZW member
    bacorrea said:
    When do y'all install the car seats? 1 month before the due date? I don't really remember what I did with DD.
    I'm with @mcvgal, we had it in the car when we left the hospital. Doing a "dry fit" ahead of time is prudent, to ensure the car seat works with your vehicle, but driving around with it in your car for a month runs the risk of invalidating its safety if you're in an accident, and then having to buy another one.
  • @bacorrea, we made sure we knew how to install car seat ahead of time, but didn't travel with it in the car.  We literally live across the highway from the hospital so DH was able to get it when he ran home to shower. 
  • That's so interesting that yall did it the day of! I am
    pretty sure we did it around a month out and got it inspected by the car seat people on post to make sure it was ready to go. 

Personally, the car seat is the most stressful aspect of having a child for me. Making sure it's installed correctly and worrying about if I did it wrong. I seriously cry every time I have had to install DD's car seat. I'm ridiculous I know. Ha.
  • I think we put the bases for the bucket seat in around 36? We are using my son's old infant seat so if need be I know I can install it in about 30 seconds. 

May '17 labor memes
  • @jens_hoes, sorry you are having a rough go. So many things to be frustrated about.  

And sorry to everyone having a stressful, hormonal, tear filled weekend.  Mine started well with DS taking his bunny pics followed by a family maternity session.  This morning all 3 of us woke up sick.  We were supposed to join my grandparents and other family for a lunch celebrating grandparents' birthdays. I escaped long enough to join family for lunch. I was late bc I had to wait on DH to take sick kid duty. DH set off smoke detectors as I was trying to leave.  Family callled bc they were waiting on me.  I showed up with vomit on my shirt and pants and my hair was a hot mess. I sat down and immediately bust into tears.  
  • SKZWSKZW member
    kns1988 said:
    Rough weekend, @Jens_Hoes! I'm sorry you're dealing with all that.

Does anyone know if tea tree oil is okay to use in oils and lotions during pregnancy? I have an appointment tomorrow so I'll try to remember to ask then. My cousin offered to get me a spa treatment and I'm looking at a foot massage where they use a tea tree oil foot balm. 

kns1988 said:
    Rough weekend, @Jens_Hoes! I'm sorry you're dealing with all that.

So nothing is 100 percent safe during pregnancy, there's always a risk, and companies (& FDA) cover their butts and say to use at your own risk. Always discontinue use of a product if you have any adverse reactions too. Here's more scare tactics about tea tree oil from the Mayo Clinic:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/tea-tree-oil/safety/hrb-20060086

That said, I just spied a piece online about the benefits of tea tree oil for episiotomy healing, so there's that. And I think since it's a skin application in a lotion & footrub, the amount that would be absorbed systemically in your body and be processed and potentially affect the baby has got to be miniscule, right?

I do love tea tree oil, for reals. It's awesome for blemishes, bug butes, and little cuts. I'm trying to recall if I've used it while pregnant.... Good idea to ask at your appt tmrw. Good luck!
  • @SKZW I ended up going in. When I'd talked to the doctor, he'd basically made me feel like an idiot for even questioning whether or not to go in. He said if I was in pain, I needed to go in. They did the FFN, which was negative. Checked my cervix, only open about a fingertip. I'm having contractions, but they're sporadic at best. I was basically told to stay off my feet and rest until my csection. Which is laughable, because I work freaking retail. Oh, and I'm supposed to take Tylenol for the discomfort. Also laughable. I borrowed a support belt from a friend tonight, so I'm hoping that will help me get through the next six weeks with less discomfort. Just very ready for this to be over. I hate being pregnant.
  • vrj0522vrj0522 member
    edited March 2017
    @Jens_Hoes - omg! So sorry that happened!! I hope they got it all fixed and power's been restored. 

@bacorrea - we waited both times until I had delivered before DH installed the infant car seats but it was because the hospital would do an inspection before we left the hospital. They don't do that anymore so I actually plan on calling this week (34w) to make an appointment to have it inspected and then I will install based on when the appointment is.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• @SparkySunDevil can they take you out of work? My MD approved intermittent leave for fmla for times when I'm getting contractions. They don't do bed rest anymore but at least they are helping protect my job and myself. They also took me off having to do portable x-rays which was practically a whole day of walking and standing 
  • Yiggle09 said:
    @SparkySunDevil can they take you out of work? My MD approved intermittent leave for fmla for times when I'm getting contractions. They don't do bed rest anymore but at least they are helping protect my job and myself. They also took me off having to do portable x-rays which was practically a whole day of walking and standing 
    This.  If you (or your doctor) are concerned about preterm labor, you should look in to this.  A healthy baby/mama is the most important thing.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • @CherryBananas I didn't see if anyone answered about your hair but I kept mine "long" (not nearly like yours) but there's no reason to cut it unless your against pulling it up but it sounds like you're prepared for that! Newborns can grasp as a reflex but I never had a problem with DD pulling my hair until she was bigger and I could tell her no or just adapt and wear it up during that phase. For me there was just no time to style my hair let alone get a decent shower (it becomes a luxury for awhile) so bun it was! 
  • On the subject of hair...I had mine pretty long when DS was born and I put it up nearly every day...it was awesome and fast and stayed away from baby fingers. One day, I decided it would be even easier if I cut it above my shoulders. I quickly realized this was a big mistake because it took more time to style and had to be washed and styled every day (vs every other day with my longer hair)...so I've been growing it back out with this pregnancy. It's JUST at the point that it feels long enough to be easy again. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I wear my hair in a bun practically every day so now my son gets upset when I wear it down because I don't look like mommy anymore 
  • I have short curly hair at the moment. Its fairly easy to keep up with, wash, put product in, and go. However, I know when I don't do anything with it for a day or 2 it is a mess! So, I'm attempting to grow it a little bit more so that I can jut put it up once baby is here. Just easier if I'm not able to wash it or wet it down to actually tame it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     "A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • I had no intention of cutting my hair last time, but ended up chopping off 12" and donating 2 months after DS was born for two reasons. 1) It was taking me too long to dry and ended up with wet hair in a bun a lot and 2) I was losing hair by the handful in the shower and needed to give my drain snake a break. I have my fingers crossed the hair loss won't be as bad this time, so I can keep my hair length. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • @SKZW thank you!!! I will! I see they have a pop up drain cover and I have never been able to find one of those before. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • starphish18starphish18 member
    edited March 2017
    @SKZW thank you!!! I will! I see they have a pop up drain cover and I have never been able to find one of those before. 
    I have an oxo one that "pops" up a bit for the tub and it works great!
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EU6HB9S/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • @SKZW, thanks for the response! In case anyone was wondering about tea tree oil, my doctor said it's not proven safe so I should avoid it. The spa is going to use unscented lotions, which I found out is their policy anyways for pregnant women. 
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• @erinh2005 @Kipperoo thanks ladies! I never style my hair during the week. I'm not a morning person at all so I get out of the shower, put it up in a bun, and head to work. I've been doing it like that for 11 years so it's a habit now. It's good to know I'm not completely oblivious to some secret thing that would require me to chop off all my hard work. I like the option of taking it down on weekends or when I have somewhere nice to go :smile:
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker