July 2017 Moms

Nurseries

Ladies, I think it is time we have our own nursery thread. I can't be the only one who is the most excited about decorating the nursery! Hope this will be a fun place to share ideas.

Post your inspiration, decor, progress and eventually reveal photos here.

Re: Nurseries

• Loading the player...
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited March 2017
    @mjacks16 which app did you do that on? I want to try doing this (why didn't I think of this before!) so I have a better idea of what I'm doing! Thanks in advance lol
  • edited March 2017
    There was a thread about this a while back  https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12698773/nesting#latest  so there may be some inspiration in there too

As for me, we haven't done much because we are waiting for after the shower in May to see what we get then since I know some family members are already planning on buying furniture. My mom knows who is buying what in terms of furniture but she wont tell me....
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• I'm not getting a nursery. We're moving 6 months after baby is born, and he'll be in our room that whole time anyways, so I just can't justify spending the time/money to make the nursery up. Which makes me sad, cause I feel like I'm missing out. I will be living vicariously through all of you! That said, I would have done a space theme if we were doing it, and I think I might still make the quilt. And maybe I'll get to do something fun after we move :) 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • @BusyZee I did it in photoshop, but I've seen a cool site Olioboard where you can do them.
  • We'll be doing a lot more furniture moving and a lot less decorating, I think. We're getting the crib tomorrow (my husband's co-worker is very generously giving it to us) and I think will slowly start to set up. Showers are in early and late May, so we'll have time to set up after that, and see what we need.
  • Ugh, I'm so jealous of people with whole un-used rooms just waiting to be decorated for baby!

My house is not large at all, and we are using all of the available space at the moment. I'm having such anxiety about rearranging furniture and probably having to get rid of some of it...
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • @GlitterFish the nursery room was our guest room (no actual bed though, just a blow up one bc we knew it would one day be a baby room)/catch all room for our lives. Now everything from there is out in the hallway - there is a large alcove in the hallway to accommodate most of it- but now I have a LOT of stuff to go through/clean out etc. I am basically ignoring it for now and focusing on the fun baby stuff lol. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @mjacks16  I love your carpet choice btw. The colors are SUPER fun! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @irishrose54 The sad thing is that I bought this house before I met my husband, and I had a roommate in the room that will now be the baby's room. The roommate moved out 6 months before my wedding, and we turned that room into a "dressing room" and I moved my dressers out of my super-crowded room into the roomie's room. I know logically I've lived with a crowded bedroom before (albeit, alone!), but after being able to spread out a bit, it feels like it will be SO stifling!  I keep putting off actually moving anything!

DH would love to get rid of all the furniture and start over, but why not, it was all my furniture, not his, to begin with!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • @irishrose54 I love gold and grey as a combo. You could throw some navy & turquoise in there also! I need to try that carpet cleaner, I have a black and white IKEA rug and two cats that want to throw up on the rug. Not the hardwoods, but the rug. 

@GlitterFish If our contract falls through or something happens with the house, we will be in our two bedroom condo! Then I will have an office/guest room/nursery going on! 
  • Am I too cheap, or did anyone else walk into a buy buy baby style store and about fall over at how much the furniture was?!?! LOL Baby night stand 300$, crib 500$-$1,000, dresser/changing table 500$, rocking chair 300-700$ depending on what you get. Insane to us but people pay it everyday. My DH and I walked in with my first pregnancy and about fell over at the price tags. Just like weddings, they mark up for baby because you are excited and will pay it. I bought a crib from there and did everything else different. Dresser I had already and secured a changing pad to the top of it. Night stand but not from a baby store 60$! 

No shame if you bought it, we could afford it but I couldn't bring myself to pay a few thousand dollars when I knew I could get creative and do it cheaper. Just want to give FTM's an idea. 

If you are on looking for a deal, IKEA has very affordable baby cribs and about anything else. 

Skip the fancy bedding since you are not suppose to use it anyway. Target has adorable fitted crib sheets to add color and style to your nursery. 

Also, don't forget about cordless blinds for baby nursery! IKEA has then 25$ and done! 

My sons room is medium gray, white trim/crown molding/window/door. One wall is a bright blue. Crib on gray wall is navy blue. I kind of did a gray with different blue shades 'theme'. Some fun, colorful art work, and his name on the wall! Nightstand is white. It's one of my favorite rooms and we LOVE playing in there now! He's 18 months. I love a cute nursery!!!!! 
  • Surprisingly, target has really stepped up their game and has really nice furniture/ lamps these days too! 
  • @GlitterFish we were able to keep the settee and original carpet and just moved them to the hall area, but we had a desk in there as well. We decided to store it at my in laws house since they have the space. Hopefully if u need to get rid of furniture you can find a storage space for free! That way if you move you still have everything. 

@mjacks16 we originally planned to do navy walls but it ended up being wayyyy too dark for my liking. I love the idea of adding navy and turquoise accents though! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @LoveLee85 If I was going to have a nursery, there is no way I would pay for that stuff. Crib, yes. Anything else, no way. But we're just doing a pack and play for the first two years anyways, so no crib for us. But you are not the only one who nearly fell over at the price tag... actually at the price tag off all things baby. Especially maternity clothes. They totally mark it up on purpose. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • @Rae1 I don't know why I can't ever tag you. From what I was reading that's how far up it goes. If he ends up being ready earlier, we're moving when he's 6 months, so we'll get him in a toddler bed as soon as he's ready to be in one. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • @rae1 Wow.  I LOVE that!

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kerils exactly! It almost becomes a game to me, to hunt for the best bargain! The fact that the room is very original, and not tons of money was spent, makes me that much more proud of it!! Maternity clothes are also insane prices(some places)! Pea in a pod....I can't believe people pay that?! But I also am lucky my sister handed me down a massive stock pile of expensive maternity things I would have never paid for! 
  • kerils said:
    @Rae1 I don't know why I can't ever tag you. From what I was reading that's how far up it goes. If he ends up being ready earlier, we're moving when he's 6 months, so we'll get him in a toddler bed as soon as he's ready to be in one. 
    My only advice on this is the tri-folding cardboard with the worlds thinnest piece of fabric over it, aka the PNP mattress, is horrible. My LO would never lay on it and I couldn't blame him after feeling it. Maybe buy an upgraded real mattress?! 
  • Sorry for the multi posts, I'm stuck under a sleeping cat with nothing to do. 

@LoveLee85 Do they make real mattresses? As long as they do, I would love to get something for real, cause even though I keep reading how babies really should be on something pretty solid for quite awhile, that thing is not that comfy. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • @yellow1daisy That's adorable!!!  I love the idea.  The mobile is just precious too.

@hyperangel_8509 I really like that wood panel wall.  That's such a nice focal point too.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • So excited about this thread!! Nursery renovations are in full swing at our house. We bought an old, historic home and unfortunately none of the bedrooms (except the master) have closets. DH is in the process of building a closet. This is a bit more complicated than he originally planned. The ceiling joists and wall joists don't line up at a 90 degree angle. To remedy this, he is having to build an internal support structure which can be converted into internal shelving. Or so he says... I am cautiously optimistic. 

Once the closet is done, we will paint and add crown molding.I love a more modern look so my focus is neutral colors (grey, white, cream, and pops of pink or navy once we know the sex) and clean lines. I found a series of framed black and white animal portraits that will be used as a focal point over the crib and dresser/changing table.

I just ordered all the furniture form Pottery Barn Kids. I put a glider and ottoman from BRU on our registry. We will also need to get a rug. I'm waiting on picking the rug out until the closet is finished so I know the new dimensions of the room.

• kerils said:
    Sorry for the multi posts, I'm stuck under a sleeping cat with nothing to do. 

@LoveLee85 Do they make real mattresses? As long as they do, I would love to get something for real, cause even though I keep reading how babies really should be on something pretty solid for quite awhile, that thing is not that comfy. 
    @kerils no idea if they do but that would be something to look into. See if the PNP people sell an upgraded version??? I wouldn't just plop any ol' mattress in there for safety reasons. 

• So put this together, but we are going with a Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki theme.  The dresser and the crib are both white even though in the photo it's off white.  We also have Ponyo, totoro, and spirited away wall decals for the walls and my mom is making a crochet Totoro mobile.  I want the flowers over her crib with a wooden cut out of her name in script font bright white.  Edit to say - the dresser is really long and will double as the changing station with baskets on the side to have diapers and lotion, etc.

Omg I love Totoro.....I want my son to be him for Halloween this year!!!!!! I use to watch it as a kid, I had a movie, and nobody ever know what it is!!??!?! I answer back "the greatest movie ever!" LOL THIS IS PERFECT, LOVE IT! @maybeitsmadeline
  • kerils said:

They do, I have one in my dogs crate!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• You just became my new bff @LoveLee85!  Nobody ever knows what these movies are!  I love all of them.  My Neighbor Totoro, Ponyo, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, etc.  I have a couple more I need to see, but the animation is amazing.  I'm not big on Japanese Anime, but these movies are so much better.  Whenever we say we're doing a Studio Ghibli nursery people just cock their heads to the side like... Image result for what minion

Pregnancy Ticker
  • kerils said:

Have I mentioned today that I am obsessed with your dog? If not, here is the daily post.
  • mamadcbmamadcb member
    edited March 2017
    We have finally finished cleaning out the room that will be our "big boy" room for our older son (nursery will stay the same). All the "stuff" is gone but I still need to get rid of the bed and the dresser. Here's the bedding we got. We'll paint the room a (possibly lighter) shade of the green in the quilt and then have white furniture with navy accents. I'm excited about it!

@maybeitsmadeline Where did you find that dresser? Looks a lot like what I have in mind. 

ETA photo
  • glitterfish-2glitterfish-2 member
    edited March 2017
    oheliza44 said:
    kerils said:

Have I mentioned today that I am obsessed with your dog? If not, here is the daily post.
    Me too!! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• edited March 2017
    @mamadcb Ikea!  It's only $249 and it's HUGE.  I'm talking maximum storage potential.

Edit to say - It doesn't take up a lot of room, but it has a lot of drawers and is a really good size.  I didn't want to scare you off from looking if it was a space issue.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @maybeitsmadeline I love Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. I haven't seen the others so now I have something to add to my "watch" list. WOOHOO> Love that idea for a theme. 

@oheliza44 we have a historic home as well and no closets in the future nursery. We bought a double wide dresser. I am hoping that is enough, but if it's not DH &I agreed we could always install a closet later (or just buy an armoire to put in the hallway). 
    The room also has a marble fireplace which is gorgeous, but I am already trying to come up with ways to add padding around it so when the kiddos are mobile they won't get hurt. It's not a very "child friendly" home but we are doing our best lol. 

@ashleyrene09 cozy room!! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • So...we've registered for stuff for the nursery, but won't actually be able to set it up until we move. We're staying in our 1-BR apartment until at least early next year when MIL is supposedly moving out of her house. It's all really cute space and star-themed stuff, too.
    Married: 10/13/2013
    TTC #1: Mirena removed 5/26/2015; DH - normal SA, me - diagnosed with PCOS 8/4/2016 - on Metformin; BFP - 10/29/2016!!!, EDD - 7/8/2017; DD born 6/29/2017
  • @maybeitsmadeline I think DH and I want to do a Totoro themed nursery.  Also, I love that dresser too.  I bought a white crib and have been looking for a big roomy dresser.  Too bad we don't have IKEAs in Hawaii.