July 2017 Moms

Nurseries

Re: Nurseries

• @mj8215 I would probably try to find a crib/dresser I liked that matched the wood of the existing furniture. As far as the cherry color, I think you can definitely make it work! Maybe bring in navy/white? That would look really pretty together without seeming girly. 

@lulilaev OBSESSED. Very similar to my nursery but we are doing more of a blush than coral. Florals for little girls are my favorite. Girly but not super "baby" so she can keep a lot of the stuff for a long time. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • edited March 2017
    @GlitterFish ours is similar! 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @BusyZee sorry that I just saw this! Yes I am a member and it was worth it for us because we have gotten a couple pieces of furniture from there and have saved so much because it's 25% off regular merchandise and 20% extra off clearance. Shipping wise, we live near a flagship store so we got unlimited furniture shipping for $199 and that includes all the shipping and assembly for all the furniture in one order. We ordered our crib and dresser for the nursery and then our dining room table and chairs, all at the same time, and the one fee included everything. We will be ordering my DDs bed and dresser and then a new bed for my DH and I, and the shipping fee of $199 will deliver all that, as long as it is in the same order. We haven't cancelled our membership yet, so I'm not sure how all that works yet. Hope this helps! 
  • @busyzee we bought most of our stuff before the member program started.  We will be doing the membership to buy the new furniture for our toddler's room - he's moving out of the nursery.  We calculated the savings to make sure it would be worth it - our plan is to get the crib and dresser and a couple decor pieces.  I just need to get my butt in gear.

@LuLiLaEv am drooling over the frills!  We
    really don't need to do anything to our nursery though since it's gender neutral and still in use - but you are making me jealous!  I promised my husband I would just do a little something to refresh the room for our little girl - I may have to change my mind... that's allowed right?!
  • @mj8215 I actually have that same futon going in my nursery, just with a grey cover. It was a former guest bed as well but I'm thinking it will be nice to have a space to lay down in her room... While I understand the sentiment of wanting everything to match, I'm also a big fan or working with what you've got. If the room is large enough to have 2 distinct spaces, then I would go for it. If you really want everything to match though, you could either refinish the old or go with cherry for the new (as others have said). Or, if you know you really love the grey for baby then order it, set up the room, and see how you like the combo together. If the color mismatch bothers you too much, then go for a refinish on the old. 
  • @LuLiLaEv love the nursery and color scheme as well. I was just at hobby lobby and saw some really cute wall decor/pictures/letters that would match your theme perfectly if you needed any of that stuff! 
  • @mj8215 I think it's a tough call.  On one hand you want to make it a combo room and you already have half the furniture so it's appealing to just work with it but on the other hand it doesn't really all piece together.  The futon color is fine for a boy - I'm really digging the bold choice actually.

Since the furniture doesn't really go together, I would want to paint the office pieces but that's just me.  In the end it depends on if it would bother you or not.  I spent a lot of time in the nursery in the first 18 months and it was nice to have a beautiful coordinated space to look at.  
  • @mj8215 How set are you on the gray? I think white is a bit more neutral if you really want to mix. I have white Ikea nightstands right now with my mahogany bed, and it doesn't look great, but it's also not the worst, and at least the white matches the wood trim in the room.
    That said, we are giving the white to the baby and getting something else for our room... perhaps a color to break up all the dark wood, I'm not sure yet!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Thanks for all the helpful responses, ladies!
    If only husband and I were more crafty...oh well. It is kind of a dilemma - on the one hand I see how the grey and the wood don't go together, on the other hand I don't feel like the expense of new desk and bookshelf is justifiable, and on the third hand I do like a grey or grey/white combo much better for baby's furniture than that wood finish... so...

Here's what I'm thinking - you guys gave me some great ideas re covering the old furniture. I don't think spray painting is realistic in our case BUT turns out you can use adhesive wallpaper to cover up furniture (so says apartment therapy)!

I'm looking at this: https://www.amazon.com/NuWallpaper-NU1647-Beachwood-Stick-Wallpaper/dp/B01BK9WGT2/ref=sr_1_10?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1490928111&sr=8-10&keywords=adhesive+wallpaper

what if I used this to cover up the desk and bookshelf? appreciate your advice!

• @mj8215 I was super interested in those stick on sheets aswell but I'm pretty sure it was the same ones and they just don't look that great, not to mention they look really weird when done around corners or thinner edges but maybe Ul be better at it and can make it work! 
  • @mj8215 honestly, I feel like that would just look cheap. If you are against a wood look crib, I agree with whoever said maybe do white instead of grey. Then add white accents to the desk and other pieces you have?
  • @mj8215 I'm having the same dilemma as you - we already have some dark wood pieces in the nursery (a dresser and bookcase), and I like the look of white furniture for the baby.  It's useful to see some of the opinions here.  Decisions, decisions...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @mj8215 I think it will depend on what other colors you bring into the room. Like what color the walls/floor/curtains/bedding are,  and the such. Navy was my first thought to tie them together, but others would work, too. I think the sofa has a turquoise cover available and then you could bring in pink/red, yellow, or orange. Also, we'll placed rugs might make it feel like two more separate spaces in the room. I would stay away from the peel and stick wallpaper stuff, especially on the desk. It's hard to apply without bubbles and to get straight, trimmed right, etc. And then tempting to pick at once it's on. 
  • @mj8215 I did something similar with my desk at work many years ago when I was a teacher, also while looking online at blogs for ideas. It looked super cute for the first week, but all peeled off within a month :( 
  • @mj8215 If you don't want to spray paint, I've had good success with painting real wood and laminate IKEA furniture with those small foam rollers. I like to prime first with zinsser primer then just roll on regular latex paint. 
  • So I thought this question would go here, what humidifiers are you thinking of buying for the nursery, and why? And what should I look for (if there is anything to look for) 
  • @mj8215 to add to the above comment, there are also some good paint stains that we have used to stain wood and laminate as well. General Finishes has a good one!
  • @BusyZee I have a Honeywell that I read about here. I use it for my bedroom currently and really like it. I will get another or move it to the baby's room. I has a fan, so can also act as a sound machine. 
  • mjacks16 said:
    @mj8215 If you don't want to spray paint, I've had good success with painting real wood and laminate IKEA furniture with those small foam rollers. I like to prime first with zinsser primer then just roll on regular latex paint. 
    I second this!  I've been using foam rollers for all my wood pieces (cube storage, side table beside glider, wood doors in my house and now, the crib which I gave a quick sand before painting) and they work beautifully!  I attempted to spray paint a bin in my basement and it did not go well haha!  It would have been nice if I could spray the crib because of all those stupid little slat thingies but again, I suck at spraying so I'm stuck painting it all by hand.  It's a bit time consuming, but worth it in the end.  
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • BusyZee said:
    So I thought this question would go here, what humidifiers are you thinking of buying for the nursery, and why? And what should I look for (if there is anything to look for) 
    I think this is really going to depend on your climate so you might get mixed answers.  I have a humidifier in my home (as in, a whole system not a stand-alone one, controlled manually by a humidistat) so I'm not sure if I'm going to buy one specifically for baby's room.  I need to do more research on that. Honestly, I would just Google it for the best recommendations from professionals.  
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • We have a whole house once as well but I think it's very important to have a cool mist humidifier with extra filters for when the baby is sick or just congested. 
  • @GlitterFish Where did you get the whale stuff? I'm loving the whale look for our LO's bathroom stuff (bath, washcloths) but haven't seen anything else. The blanket goes really well with the crib sheets we like!
  • @PurplePumpernickel The whale comforter is a hand me down to me, but I spotted it in Target. I think circo brand. The little one blanket is from buy buy baby and I believe its Gerber grand. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • This is the current situation in my nursery, so I guess we will have to repaint  :'(  :s

Pregnancy Ticker

• We have a whole house once as well but I think it's very important to have a cool mist humidifier with extra filters for when the baby is sick or just congested. 
    This! I second all of this. 
  • @BusyZee We have a whole-house humidifier, but find that we sleep better in winter if we also have one running in our bedroom.  We have the Crane that is shaped like a drop of water and it's lasted at least four years.  We also had one of their animal shaped ones, but it broke after about a year (might have been an issue that our cat kept knocking that one over...).  They claim to have the same size tank, but I think the drop one holds more, equaling fewer fill-ups.
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited April 2017
    Thanks everyone! <3@optbaby2017 @stokesm21
    @nktrodden826
    @mjacks16 I have Honeywell and honestly I don't like it! Maybe I have the wrong one.. and ten dollars every month for the filter to me is insane! I will look into the crane hopefully it works well... and cool mist for the baby! I used to have this eye sore Vicks humidifier, that thing was the best humidifier ever! Soo effective but wasn't cool mist. 
  • Other Team Green mama- what color did you paint the nursery? I'm looking for suggestions in the light grey color family. Our nursery has white furniture and dark hardwood floors. 
  • @oheliza44 I'm not team green, but the walls in my house are Sherwin Williams agreeable gray. It's a very light grey option that seems to go well with most anything. 
  • @oheliza44 We went with Behr Loft Space.  It's got more of a light blue tint than I thought originally, but I think it looks good.  I'll try to get a picture when I get home.
    Me: 31 DH: 31
      <3 DS born 6/2017, became a heart angel 8/2018 <3
    CP 3/2019
  • @oheliza44 not team green - but we aren't repainting the nursery. Our house was new when we bought it 3 years ago and it's just been a spare bedroom. It's called Grayish (#6001) by Sherwin Williams in a flat sheen. It's pretty. 
  • Re: humidifiers
    We have this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Crane-Adorable-Ultrasonic-Humidifier-Gallon/dp/B0050LY2DU

It doesn't need a filter. The first one we had broke after about a year (maybe longer) so we use filtered water in it now. We'll probably use this one in the nursery when baby comes, since we don't use it that often in DS's room anymore. 
  • Ah! You guys are making me second guess our paint choice!! @carol113 & @cait32
    We had Agreeable Gray in our condo and loved it (ironically it was the only one we could agree on) but we picked out SW Essential Gray this time because it's darker than the Agreeable Gray and the nursery gets lots of natural light so H was worried it would be too light, but I do love that color and we haven't started painting yet or bought our paint....maybe we'll be going back to the store to look at more paint samples :D 
    @rae1-3 I'm going to check that one out too!
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited April 2017
    @oheliza44 you don't have to paint, but if you really want to, decals look lovely and so do stripes... like a lemon/gold toned , coffee/beige or light gray. I'm not painting any walls just putting up pictures on one of the walls 
  • @lulilaev @oheliza44 Perfect Greige (Sherwin Williams 6073) is another good one. Slightly more brown undertones. That is what our whole downstairs is and it looks really good with our wood floors and white baseboards. 
  • Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Nursery closet construction begins this weekend so I'll pick up paint samples. I am so ready for this closet to be finished so I can start to decorate the room. 

@BusyZee I wish we didn't have to paint but this room is the most ugly color of yellow it must be done. The contractor that renovated our house has really bold paint preferences so we've been painting like crazy since we moved in.
  • Finally picked out our paint color today. It's called Lilac Whisper. A very white purple, and I can't wait to see what it'll look like on the walls.  The nursery doesn't get a ton of natural light, so I'm hoping the light color will be nice.
  • @PurplePumpernickel there is some whale nursery stuff on Zulily today.

https://www.zulily.com/e/welcome-baby-nursery-228018.html

I should not know this. I just found all the whale stuff on Land of Nod too...!