May 2017 Moms

Re: UO 3/16

• Loading the player...
  • @ShadeofGreen816 I don't think that sounds selfish at all, and that's also my opinion. At this stage in our lives, if there was some outrageous reason only one of us could be saved and my H has to choose, I'd want him to choose me. The loss of our child would be devastating, but we could still have a family one way or another. I honestly don't see a situation where I'd feel otherwise, unless I had a terminal illness.
  • @kat81 @starphish18 I'm glad to hear that. I was feeling very selfish reading that other thread. As much as I know I'm going to love and adore this babe I still don't know her - she's still a stranger. I have a life here on earth to preserve. 
  • kat81kat81 member
    My UO is actually DH's. We were talking about this after the big east coast snowstorm that just hit: I don't think that SUVs are necessarily better for snow than are regular, smaller sedans. Of course while there is active snow that hasn't been cleared and you need to drive, an SUV is better. But once the snow is cleared and it's sitting there in icy masses making streets narrower, parking spots smaller, etc., having a big car is an impediment. We are happy we have a sedan in the current weather situation. DH dropped of DD at daycare yesterday when he came to this revelation. Everyone at her daycare has an SUV and he said the drivers were having a lot of trouble getting around and parking because though things were clear, there was just a bit less space due to the snow piles. Meanwhile, he easily zipped in and out.

Disclaimer -- we are already people who don't like SUVs in general. But this was a new one, because the assumption is always that they're better for things like snow.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Jumping in on EOs. We use them as medicine for some things that have worked for us. Specifically, EOs have saved my child many nights from not being able to sleep due to congestion. Diffusing fir needle has been pure magic for that many nights. I believe many oils have healing properties based on my own experiences. With that said I don't use YL or any MLM products and many of the YL claims are bogus and downright dangerous. If you choose to use them I suggest doing your own thorough research, especially before using anything while you're pregnant or around your children. 

My UO is going to see a movie "for your birthday" and inviting all your friends is dumb. Maybe this isn't actually a UO. My friend wants to go see Beauty and the Beast on the pretense this is how she wants to celebrate her birthday. I don't really want to see it. Many of our friends are taking their daughters and DS isn't old enough for that movie. It's annoying. 
  • @WombThereItIs - I completely agree about EOs being ridiculous. I got lavender oil to put on my pillow during labor last time at the urging of a mom friend. I ended up throwing that pillow across the room and demanding they remove the smell. Apparently in-labor me does not enjoy strong smells. 

On the other hand, I could not disagree more strongly with your stance on tropical vacations. In my current, snow-covered, toddler-wrangling, non-booze drinking state, a sitting on a warm beach with a pina colada with nothing to do sounds about perfect right now. 

@starphish18 - Agree re: shoulder cut outs. I generally disagree with purposeful holes in clothing.

@ShadeofGreen816 - I think the first time around, I would've been more torn about who to save. I'm still not sure which way I would have decided. This time around, however, thinking about my son, I would definitely want to be saved. As selfish as I feel saying that, I can't imagine my son growing up without me. I can't think too much about this topic though, as I'll end up a big teary puddle on my desk. 

@champhe - That is a pretty lame birthday celebration (although I'm pumped to see Beauty and the Beast). Seeing a movie is fun, but not interactive at all. I'd much rather have a house party or go to dinner or bowling or something where company is actually interacting with each other. 

I can't think of my own UO at the moment, but I'll be back. 

Fur daughter: 02/2011
    Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
    *formerly kayemjay*

• I don't typically use EO's in place of medication but I do like to dab some peppermint oil on my forehead when I have a headache because I like the cooling sensation. It either really does help the headache or the cooling sensation distracts me from the pain.

I love tropical vacations!  Especially the kind at an all inclusive resort. My days basically revolve around eating when I go on vacation... like what is the earliest I can eat dinner that way I can make reservations and go to 2 dinners.

• thistlenweedsthistlenweeds member
    edited March 2017
    Started reading Ina May's guide to childbirth and the skeptic in me is like "This sounds like a sect or something! What a load of fluff!". #lackinganOpenMindiguess

@kat81 in Russia the benefit would be the amount of space between the car bottom and the road because we do get fairly large heaps of snow every now and then and people drive through them and then you have two low tire-made paths and the middle with a bunch of snow and you can get caught on your car belly trying to get out. :) But that's really it. If it's an AWD and you have good tires the size doesn't matter in any other regard.
  • I love tropical vacations! I love day drinking at the pool or beach, but I'm not sure I'd want to bring younger children. 

I am a skeptic on EO, I think they smell good and can be relaxing when you smell them but I don't believe they have healing powers. 

I have no UO of my own right now...
  • I guess my UO is that I like essential oils. I don't think they're magical cure alls, however I I find some benefit from them. In a pinch, peppermint oil has helped my headaches (still, no replacement for actual medicine). We like to diffuse at night, mostly because it smells nice. The breathe oil I absolutely do believe. I think it opens up the airways or something, because both H and I notice we can breathe easier with it. That's about it. The rest I use for smells :)

Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • I see no benefits to EOs and hate that people believe they cure all. My cousin asked last night what she should pack in her hospital bag and one of her friends would not stop harping on "bring an oil diffuser and all these oils" It was like that was the most important aspect of a hospital bag. 

@WombThereItIs Your nuts, tropical vacations are amazing and I would take them all the time! Sitting on a beach with a frozen adult beverage, people watching or reading a book?? Not a single thing in that sentence is wrong! 

@ShadeofGreen816 Not selfish at all. I can't imagine leaving my two girls without a mother, so I would have DH choose me as well. 

@kat81 I think people just assume SUVs and trucks are better in snow, but most of them time they don't realize it has to do with 4wd, the types of tires you have, and how good/bad of a driver you are! My husbands truck is not 4wd and it does awful in the snow/ice! My SUV is 4wd and it does much much better. 

I have no UO of my own, yet! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • To clarify on my UO maybe I should add I don't like cocktails! Beaches aren't really a great climate and place for whisky drinking ;) 

May '17 labor memes
  • @WombThereItIs , what about a whisky cocktail?? An Old Fashioned or a Manhattan (or both) at sunset on the beach? Pure heaven. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • To clarify on my UO maybe I should add I don't like cocktails! Beaches aren't really a great climate and place for whisky drinking ;) 
    This should be a whole separate UO! 
    I could really go for a frozen margarita right about now...
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
    How about a nice refreshing mojito though? :D
  • @ShadeofGreen816 I had a very dramatic moment in my pregnancy with DD that I begged DH to choose me... think Greys Anatomy style "choose me, pick me" with some sappy music in the background and people moving in slow motion. I still feel the same way and as selfish as it may be DH would save me should something happen. My FIL said the same thing as @kat81 parents which was so reassuring that I wasn't an over dramatic looney. 

My UO is ridiculously silly: I don't really trust my glucometer. I'm a strong believer of modern medicine, however a few times my meter had had a higher normal reading and when I tested again with the same finger prick I get something much lower using my dads meter. They are different brands and have both been calibrated. It's puzzling. 
  • fbmandy55fbmandy55 member
    edited March 2017
    schnitz9 said:

Not sure if this is a UO but it is something that has been bothering me and just showed up on my FB today with someone mentioning.  Hope no one is offended.

I can't stand when FTM who are pregnant and not working call themselves a SAHM! I'm sorry you're not a SAHM if you don't have any kids that stay at home with you.  Let's be honest here, until you give birth you're UNEMPLOYED!!!!!

Ok, I'm going to take this to the next level... My UO is that if you are a SAHM mom, you don't need to list that as your job on facebook. My sister in law is a SAHM mom of twins and is constantly posting crap about her "job" is being a SAHM and how she does so much "work". She literally lays in bed with the twins all day or puts them in a playpen. She doesn't cook or clean. My brother who works 60 hours a week does the cooking and cleaning.

ETA: I don't think of all SAHM mom's this way. I know there are many who do A LOT.

• Essential oils can smell nice, but a lot of times it's like someone else's perfume in a small room- it may have a nice scent, but there's way too much of it and you can't get away from the smell! I'd rather just have some plain old lavender lotion! 

Saving me or baby- I've literally never thought about it before it came up yesterday! I was giving myself a panic attack thinking about it when I saw that, and have just decided that if it were to come up, husband would make the choice that was best for our family based on the doctor's advice, and I don't have to think about it ever again, or make any kind of decision about it.

My UO- I really don't understand why so many people who are super anti-religion celebrate so many Christian holidays.  St. Patrick's day, Easter, Christmas, St. Valentine's Day. I'm not upset by it, or offended by it by any means, I just don't get it. You don't see staunch atheists showing their Purim dinner photos on FB!  Maybe this is a my region kind of thing, though, I don't know. 
  • @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot I guess I'm thinking of a couple of very specific people when I stated my UO.  There are people who on FB go out of their way to knock and belittle anything slightly religious, and question my intelligence for having a religion. And then turn around a post pics of their kids in Easter dresses and such.  I think just the complete lack of awareness rubs me the wrong way.  Like, cool, make fun of my religion every chance you get, but when it's convenient for you then celebrate it.  So, if you're not anti-religion, then my post isn't about you?  I know not all atheists are anti-religion, maybe my phrasing was a little off. 
  • kat81kat81 member
    fbmandy55 said:
    schnitz9 said:

Not sure if this is a UO but it is something that has been bothering me and just showed up on my FB today with someone mentioning.  Hope no one is offended.

I can't stand when FTM who are pregnant and not working call themselves a SAHM! I'm sorry you're not a SAHM if you don't have any kids that stay at home with you.  Let's be honest here, until you give birth you're UNEMPLOYED!!!!!

Ok, I'm going to take this to the next level... My UO is that if you are a SAHM mom, you don't need to list that as your job on facebook. My sister in law is a SAHM mom of twins and is constantly posting crap about her "job" is being a SAHM and how she does so much "work". She literally lays in bed with the twins all day or puts them in a playpen. She doesn't cook or clean. My brother who works 60 hours a week does the cooking and cleaning.

ETA: I don't think of all SAHM mom's this way. I know there are many who do A LOT.

I would agree with @schnitz9 on this in that you can't be a SAHM before you're a mom. But you can be a homemaker. I just think that SAHM does require having children you're caring for.

As for @fbmandy55 , I think that even if your SIL is a lazy mom, looking after twins is still quite a lot of work. I certainly don't envy her or other SAHMs!

• @Squirtgun I think the difference is that most holidays and traditions although based on a religious event, don't hold that true meaning to a lot of people anymore. Christmas is about gifts and trees the focus is not on the birth of Jesus, Easter is about bunnies and easter eggs, not the Resurrection of the lord.

I consider myself a christian and we make sure to incorporate the religious aspects into holidays, but still do all the other non christian traditions too. Christmas with all the lights and decorations is my favorite! I am not offended in the least if someone who is an atheist celebrates these holidays. In reality they are just celebrating the corporate aspect of it.
    April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker

• @schnitz9
    While I disagree with the statement your friend made making them seem like the same level of hardness. I do think there are some similarities. I obviously say this as a FTM. 
    But going from it being just me and my husband to having a puppy it definitely changed our lives. We actually talked last night about how much love we have for him and how we didn't understand the love we could have felt for an animal. It has also made us communicate more as we talk about how long he's in the crate, etc.  I also believe that it has made my husband much more responsible. He is now responsible for a life, and has obviously stepped up to the game. 
    I am NOT saying a pet is the same as a child, but I do think it can be a good step towards being a FTParent. 
  • kat81kat81 member
    @schnitz9 @Jens_Hoes

I also agree that having a pet is not the same thing as having a child. But I'm not in the least offended when people make the analogy or consider their pets to be family members, etc. And this is coming from someone who is NOT a pet person. Just from what I've heard they are so much work! Some people think we're crazy to have a 3rd kid but at least we have ZERO pets and that helps us put our time into the kids.

• @kat81 I don't disagree that being a SAHM is lots of work. Plus you don't get any time to yourself. I do envy them as I would rather be a workaholic at home for my family than for someone else! 

• @kat81 it honestly wasn't a rhetorical question. I didn't understand it. I guess I didn't grow up with the commercial aspects of the holidays? Like, we didn't do Easter eggs, Santa, green beer, etc. 
    So, your explaination of commercial aspects of the holidays making them more of a cultural than religious thing for people does make sense. 

@NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot, @Kipperoo, I honestly didn't mean to offend anyone (and I'm on mobile, so sorry if I missed tagging anyone) , and I'm sorry that I did!