August 2017 Moms
Options

Everything You didn't want to know about Pregnancy, Birth & Postpartum: STM to FTM advice

Re: Everything You didn't want to know about Pregnancy, Birth & Postpartum: STM to FTM advice

• Options
    I absolutely 100% recommend a glider! Worth spending the money to get a comfy one... you spend so much time in it!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @NatSprat0703, I never had one for all 4 of my children, but I can say that I wish I had. Comfort is definitely high on my priority list this time around, especially with feedings and just good 'ole snuggling. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Im with @kristenk727.... woth EVERY penny! They are pricey but if you look around you can usually get the one you like for slightly cheaper, ie looks the same as a branded one but unbranded etc. With dd my glider didn't come till she was 3 months because of a move, but I was seriously desperate for it till then and it made such a difference to our nightime routine, motn feedings and general snuggling, sooo comfy and totally saved my back
  • Options
    I love my glider. Definitely get a comfy one you can lean your head back in.  We actually got the floor model at BBB and used gift cards and cash we got for wedding gifts.  It actually looks more like an easy chair so we can use it in our living room.  We went with a grey one so it's neutral. 
  • Options
    @NatSprat0703 I still use my glider all the time and my DD is almost 1 year old. We are even getting another one for the new baby's room so we can keep the other in DD's room. It is used for many things... reading books, nursing, rocking when fussy, sick, having trouble sleeping.
  • Options
    Has anyone ever purchased an additional mattress for your pack n play? Like a foam one or otherwise? We will use a pack n play for a little while and I am looking into that option. Are there ones that you like, dislike, etc? 
  • Options
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Options
    Do I need an infant car seat or can I just start with a convertible one?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Kathryn0903 some people start with the convertible, but I loved the convenience of the carrier. You can get baby buckled in before leaving, if they're sleeping you don't have to wake them. It's also nice if you go out to eat, you can just put the carrier in the booth.  Also, the hospital will require that you prove you have a carseat, so it's easier to bring in a carrier.  If you go with a travel system, the carrier clips right into the stroller and off you go.  
  • Options
    @Kathryn0903 I loved having the infant carrier to start off with.  It was nice to able to carry it in places, as well as get the baby ready in the house when we were going places.  I did think about starting with a convertible with #2 though.  We gave away our infant seat, and I plan on buying another one.

@NatSprat0703 I love our glider!  I also like how all the parts come off so I could clean spit up off fairly easily.  I think that would be a little harder with a regular recliner.  My kids got spit up everywhere somehow.  We also still use the glider as part of our bedtime routine with our 2 1/2 YO.
    Married 5/21/2011
    DD 1 10/2012
    CP 9/2013
    DD 2 6/2014
    CP 3/2016        
     BFP 12/8/2016        
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Those of you that have had the epidural, how bad is it to get it? Is the needle large? Or is it probably not gonna bother me if I really want the epidural at that point? I think I'll want an epidural, but am worried about being scared to get it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    NxyNxy member
    I was never shown the needle. I was in so much pain from the pitocin contractions though I'm not sure I even noticed him placing it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a STM but a FTM to a boy! :) question about circumcision, how soon after baby is born do they do this? are there different ways of doing it or is it a standardized​ procedure?

btw - I completely get that this can be a touchy subject, I'm just looking for information on logistics, don't want to open it up to debate on whether or not to do it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    middy411middy411 member
    edited March 2017
    @Kathryn0903 I wasn't in much pain even though I'd been on Pitocin for a while. For some reason labor pains were not very bad for me. Felt like intense gas pressure that I had to remember to breathe through (not the normal
    experience from what I hear). I still got the epidural around 5cm dilated and I never saw the needle. The anesthesiologist was behind me and I wasn't trying to strain my neck to look lol. All I remember was a pinch of pain like a bee sting. Then he asked if it hurt because it shouldn't hurt. I hate that question... if you're pushing on my stomach, reaching your hand into my vagina, or sticking a needle into my back I'm going to always think that hurts... not anything to get worked up over, but a discomfort nonetheless.

sidenote: I felt pain after getting my epidural. I was stuck at 9cm for 7 hours. When I asked the nurse about feeling so much pain she told me the epidural only really worked in my midsection and since the pain had moved lower it probably wasn't covered by the epidural. I found that strange and had never heard that before. Anyways, I ended in a c section and will likely do a repeat c section and get a spinal this time.
  • Options
    I didn't see my epidural or even feel it. I was in so much pain from being induced with pitocin. It worked miracles. @Kathryn0903
  • Options
    Epidural wasn't as bad I had expected. I did go from no contractions to severe contractions in a very short amount of time since I had to be induced. I never saw the needle (Thank God) and didn't realize when the resident missed and the attending had to push him out of the way to get it placed correctly.  The worst part about it was holding still while experiencing  worsening contractions.  They did let my husband stay and that helped.  I know others who've had epidurals where So had to leave the room.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Although I'm a FTM, I have had 2 epidurals because of hip surgeries a few years ago. I would have to say they weren't terrible to get and it just felt like pressure in my back. Of course, I was told they were easier to put in in my case since I could arch my back since I didn't have a belly to try to move around. I was scared to get the first one but afterwards it was just fine and I was ready for it the second time around
  • Options
    I ended up having to get tapped twice with my epidural- first time hit a nerve. With that being said, I will be getting one this time too. 

Never saw the needle, nor did I want to. 
  • Options
    I got an epidural with my 2nd. Dr went too far on the first attempt but got it the second attempt. I never saw the needle but my husband did and almost passed out (insert eye roll here). 
    The only thing that sucked was the 1st attempt punctured my dura so I had a spinal headache for like 10 days. It was terrible but I'll probably get another epidural this time around because labor and pushing was AWESOME. (My 1st was without an epidural...lil ninja came out too fast)  
  • Options
    @pbandjyummies ds was born on Monday and had the circumcision on Wednesday before we went home.
  • Options
    @Kathryn0903, the epidural isn't bad at all, and I'm a huge baby about needles... I get close to tears at every appt when they do bloodwork... they won't show you the needle,  and with the pain of contractions the shot is a relief and not painful.

@pbandjyummies, DS was born on a Thursday and was in the NICU for 10 days.  I think he got the circumcision on day 9.  In total it took maybe 20 minutes. We didn't go with him when it was done, but when we saw him afterwards he was fine. :)

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Throwing in my two cents on c-sections/spinal block. Baby #1, the anesthesiologist had to stick me 4 times before getting the needle in the right place.  Baby #2, they stuck me 3 times before getting it right.  Because of these two unpleasant experiences, I had a consult with the anesthesiology team prior to my 3rd c-section, and everything went beautifully. I guess the 3rd times a charm for me.  Using the same OB/hospital/team, so hoping everything goes smoothly this time.  The biggest difference between the experiences is that I was in active labor with my first two, so the entire time they were poking me with the needle, I was contracting, hunched over a pillow on the side of the hospital bed for 45 minutes until they got it right. My 3rd was an elective c-section, and I didn't go into labor beforehand.  Fingers crossed I don't go into labor early with this one.  
  • Options
    @pbandjyummies Both my boys had circumcisions the day after they were born, and were performed by my OB. It took about 20 minutes, and they didn't seem to be in pain after.  
  • Options
    I don't remember having any pain getting the epidural in- although it did feel like a shock going down my leg for a split second (I guess that's normal). Epidurals also do not relieve back labor, DD was flipped so I still had a lot of pain from that even after getting one. So it helped but not as much as I'd thought it would. 
    Now when they put in the meds for my c section later, that was such a relief. All pain instantly gone. 
  • Options
    @Lauradi1010 @abbeyh @pinkyswife yall had to be stuck twice?! I would have DIED!!!
    I've been mentally preparing myself for them to make my hubs leave.  Although come to think of it, he'd probably either gawk at the needle size and freak me out or tell me to get over it haha

Does the needle stay in your back the whole time? Or is it like an IV where the needle comes out and just the port stays in?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @NatSprat0703 yes just a catheter and tube stays in and they tape it in place on your back. It's really not bad at all. My flu shot hurt worse.
  • Options
    I didn't have pain with my epidural, just felt some pressure.

My daughter came so fast after I got it though that I still had pain when pushing but I only pushed 4 Times and she was out. So really my epidural was kinda wasted because it was finally taking effect AFTER she was born.
  • Options
    Add me to the 2 epidurals group  :/ My first didn't work so they waited an hour before trying again. I was 7 cm dilated before my epidural kicked in. I never wanted to be 7cm and not have an epi! I'm hoping this time it only take once. The contractions were so bad I didn't even feel the epidural.  
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Options
    caity024caity024 member
    edited March 2017
    Anyone have any recommendations for what the heck to put on my nipples to stop or help this mild crusty situation I've got going on?? I've read that it's colostrum and totally normal, but it's driving me crazy.  They're super itchy too.  I put my stretch cream cocoa butter stuff (Palmer's) on them every night, but it doesn't seem to be helping much.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @caity024,

Had some discharge/ crustiness that itched a bit, but it seemed to stop.   Only advice is to let the girls hang free and wear a loose top to get some airflow in there.

Probably not the most realistic advice since
    A) some people need more breast support.
    B) going to public places (work, store, etc.) sans bra isn't generally socially acceptable.
    C) WTH!  Why is it so cold again!?
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    This is such an awesome thread.

Thank goodness it's here, had like five of my questions answered by just reading lol 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your insight on the epidurals. Makes me feel better knowing others experiences.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @ooopaola and YOU are awesome for checking through first before asking already answered qs - thank you on behalf of all of us :)  
  • Options
    I've read about this before, but I can't remember if it was on here or another random website...so forgive me if this is a repeat.  But I'm honestly more scared about the first poop after delivery then I am about the actual delivery! I've heard it can be awfully painful! Any suggestions on what to do to minimize the pain as much as possible??
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @NatSprat0703 I'm worried about the same thing. I wonder if they can give us a stool softener to help.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @NatSprat0703 @Kathryn0903 I'm in the same fear boat!! I have heard they often give you colace or something similar while still at the hospital. All the fun things you learn about once pregnant that you never hear about until then...so much fun!
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Options
    @NatSprat0703 Yess! First poop and first time having sex post baby are terrifying to think about right now...

Pregnancy Ticker