July 2017 Moms

July EcoFriendly Mama's

124»

Re: July EcoFriendly Mama's

• Have to post my excitement for today!  Ordered baby's crib mattress!  Naturepedic Ultra 2-in-1 Organic Cotton.  I spent a pretty penny on it.  Am TOTALLY jealous as to how much cheaper it is in the US (almost half the price!)  I spent many months researching mattresses so if you're looking for an organic cotton option, I am confident recommending that it is the BEST.

Mine is a 2 in 1 so firmer on 1 side for an infant and a little less so on the other for a toddler.  It's a coil spring which I went with over the lightweight because I read about some sagging with the lightweight.  I read on WTE about "being careful with organic claims" but that is not the case with Naturepedic and the research has lead me to that conclusion (not to mention it's highly recommended on pretty much every organic blog you will find as well) Their waterproofing is made of polyurethane which is generally a big no-no in the chemical world BUT theirs is so natural it's safe enough to eat.  There is zero harmful chemicals / flame retardants in their mattresses.  Here are the certifications they boast:  

• UL/GREENGUARD Gold Certified
    • Meets the organic and non-toxic standards of the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) and/or the Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS)
    • Underwriters Laboratories (UL) Environment Certified to meet the UL formaldehyde-free standard
    • OCS 100 Organic Content Standard - means that they have tracked the organic material from its source to the finished product
    • Certified by the Rainforest Alliance (products have been produced using sustainable methods) 
    • Certified by MADE SAFE (no harmful ingredients) 

Naturepedic also makes a more affordable mattress called Lullaby Earth.  
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • @stokesm21 thanks babe, I owe you  <3
  • Loading the player...
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited February 2017
    I have a question, what are you mommas doing for stretch marks? I know I'm stretch mark prone because I have one teeny one on my boob, and during puberty I got a bunch on my butt. I have a tiger print butt (tmi) but it's not too visible anymore (not as much as when I was 14) 

im using spoiled mama oil and cream, (on and off) if anyone as any better recommendation please share!
  • BusyZee said:
    I have a question, what are you mommas doing for stretch marks? I know I'm stretch mark prone because I have one teeny one on my boob, and during puberty I got a bunch on my butt. I have a tiger print butt (tmi) but it's not too visible anymore (not as much as when I was 14) 

im using spoiled mama oil and cream, (on and off) if anyone as any better recommendation please share!
    Just organic unrefined coconut oil in this house! I use it at least twice a day, but pretty much try to keep my belly, back, and boobs greased up all day every day. I guess you could say I'm "prone" to stretch marks because all women for 3 generations on both sides of my family have them. But I worked really hard and managed to avoid them with baby # 1 (no excessive weight gain, lots of moisturizer, cool showers, no scratching). And I'm hoping to avoid them with baby # 2. Definitely try the coconut oil. 
  • I posted this is in the hospital bag thread too cause that's what got me thinking about it, but I figured you guys might know best. I know everyone keeps saying use the hospital pads, but I have such sensitive skin, especially down under, I'm afraid I wouldnt be able to use them. Can anyone recommend pads that are prefferably cotton, but definitely without any scents, blue lines, etc. Etc. That could handle the pp flow? 

Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • kerils said:
    I posted this is in the hospital bag thread too cause that's what got me thinking about it, but I figured you guys might know best. I know everyone keeps saying use the hospital pads, but I have such sensitive skin, especially down under, I'm afraid I wouldnt be able to use them. Can anyone recommend pads that are prefferably cotton, but definitely without any scents, blue lines, etc. Etc. That could handle the pp flow? 
    I don't have any personal experience but I looked into this initially. The Natracare maternity pads seem to have good reviews.  Absorbent and good for sensitive skin, although they are a bit pricey.  
  • @stokesm21 OOH! That's the brand I use for my regular pads, I didn't realize they had a heavier one. I don't really care about the expense, they are worth it to me. So much irritation has been avoided using that brand. Thank you! 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • @kerils I'm looking into natracares new mother pads, and most probably will buy those in case I come across something better. They have relatively good reviews. I do know that some people just use pure cotton and make their own pads by using organic cotton cloth covered over them if you wanted something less expensive ? I'd imagine walking in those may not be the most comfortable.
  • @BusyZee I don't know about their maternity pads, but there regular ones feel like sitting on puffy white clouds of happiness. I've also noticed that because they are fully cotton and nice and thick ( but still comfy) they absorb for way longer than any other pads I've used, and I can have pretty heavy periods. They don't get all wet and sticky either, just eventually you realize that they're too damp and have to change them. But I've only had that problem after hours of wear. So if anyone is looking for something really comfortable to wear for 6 weeks, I would 100% recommend this brand. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • stokesm21stokesm21 member
    edited February 2017
    @kerils  Good to know!  Surely I will run out of the hospital ones eventually.  They're going on my list :smile:

Edit: words are hard
  • Just feeling defeated today.  If you saw the "Weekly Random" threads, I posted about getting a nice bonus from work that I was going to use to purchase my stroller.  Well, I'm effing fed up with strollers!  I had my heart set on the Uppababy Mesa Henry car seat, due out in March 2017, which is the first 100% chemical flame-retardant free car seat on the market.  I have been saving for this thing.  I had set my eyes on the UB Cruz stroller but after doing more research and checking it out in person, it is not at all suitable for my terrain or the terrain I want to use it on.  The Vista is insanely expensive here ($1200 plus tax comes around $1350) and comes with the stupid bassinet that I have no need or want for.  Add that to the $500 price tag of the car seat (again, always more expensive in Canada) I simply cannot justify spending  $1800 on a stroller and car seat.  I just can't and really, I can't afford that. 

So I got out there researching again.  Baby Jogger stroller became my second choice because I discovered a Mesa adapter for the City Select.  Checked out the C.Select in person today and fell in love only for the lady at the store to tell me that they don't sell the adapters for Mesa in Canada and that it must just be a U.S thing.  *big*long*sigh*  I decided to give up the Mesa.  I go to research compatibility and know that Britax has come way far in the world in terms of chemicals in their car seats.  They use to be the worst offender and now are one of the best for avoiding chemicals as much as they can.  I'm not a fan of the lower quality of their seats compared to UB but the safety aspect was still up there so I compromised.  Only to find out that configuring the C.Select double stroller (which is going on an insanely wicked sale tomorrow that I can't turn down if I go with the Select.  I want a stroller to last me through multiple kids) with the seat and an infant car seat is just a nightmare and isn't very practical.  Basically the toddler can't face outward and has to sit facing Mom instead. (If there was an angry face emoji on here I would insert about 10!)  

I started to look for used Vista strollers and had luck but they are mostly older models, around 2013/2014.  Do I want to buy a 3/4 year old used stroller?  (Still in excellent condition but you get what I mean)  I'm just torn.  My options are:

1)  Buy the Mesa and purchase a used Vista stroller
    2)  Buy the C.Select double & Britax car seat and deal with the poor configurations
    3)  Buy the C.Select single and not even worry about doubling up (Did any of you STM's use a double stroller?  I figured if I have a toddler they can go in the stroller and I can wear baby?  Feasible or no?)
    4)  Buy the C.Select and suck up my chemical-free fetish and just buy a car seat that adapts to the double better than Britax

I honestly don't know what to do but if I want the double I have to get it this weekend!!! (Sale is Fri - Mon) *sigh*
  • yellow1daisyyellow1daisy member
    edited February 2017
    @stokesm21 I'm totally feeling your pain. Sounds like disappointment all around. The henry wasn't available when I had my daughter in 2015 otherwise I would have been all over it. There really was no 'good' option from the flame retardant standpoint then.
    We bought the chicco keyfit 30 and I love the seat and will use it again for this baby. It's basically impossible to avoid flame retardants altogether. Furniture, car seats(the ones we sit in), etc., and in my opinion all we can do is try and limit their exposure. I didn't use the seat besides rides in the car (no naps in it at home or anything--really you shouldn't let them spend any time besides what they have to in a car seat for more than one reason), and she probably got more FR exposure around grandparents furniture than anything else (since we spent a shitload on FR free sofas). If it were me, I would not spend that kind of money on a stroller seat combo. But i sometimes override being eco/chemical conscious for the sake of convenience lol. 
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

edited February 2017
    @yellow1daisy Yeah it's tough.  I've defintiely decided that I don't want to spend that kind of money.  Another option is for me to order from the US.  That would cost me about $960 then I can hopefully sell the bassinet.  They retail here for just under $300 but I would even be happy with $160 bringing my cost down to $800.  That was my original budget for a stroller (especially since I can get the C.Select double for $400 off this weekend!)  I talked to DH about it and he said it doesn't make sense to ditch chemical-free when everything we've purchased thus far is.  From organic cotton cloth items (receiving blankets, clothes, cloths etc.), cloth diapers, chemical-free body care, naturepedic mattress (will be picking up their cradle mattress and change pad at a later date as well), solid wood crib (no stain) etc. etc.  The only issue is that my passport is expired and renewing it just puts me back up there again.  (I'm about 2 hrs from the closest border so it's not far)   

I think I'm going to go take a look at the used stroller.  Our entire home isn't chemical-free and thankfully I'm not naive enough to think she'll never come into contact with chemicals haha!  But once all this furniture starts being replaced,that's the goal.  I even had her shelf made (I think I posted a pic previously) out of solid wood rather than buying IKEA cause there's all sorts of chemicals in IKEA.  *sigh* 

ETA:  I agree about limited time.  I just think ... in the car, on walks, if we're out and about (we're outdoorsy people), grocery shopping etc.  Then again at certain times I'm sure I'll much prefer to wear her so that will cut down the exposure for sure.  I suspect if I'm on a trail it would be easier to wear than push! Haha!
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited February 2017
    I may be wrong but I think this stroller is flame retardant free and not so expensive. 

@stokesm21

https://philandteds.com/us/Products/push/smart-lux#.Vg1k2Wa-uDo
  • @stokesm21 I feel for you, I hate spending more than I want to, do you have any pilot friends or anyone who works between Canada and America who could get you the stroller from here? I don't know where you live but I know one pilot.
    edited February 2017
    BusyZee said:
    I may be wrong but I think this stroller is flame retardant free and not so expensive. 

@stokesm21

https://philandteds.com/us/Products/push/smart-lux#.Vg1k2Wa-uDo
    Apparently we do have them here but the cheaper ones won't do.  I live in the country and while my road is paved, we live down from about 4 pits (think sand, rock etc.) and the transports and dump trucks have ruined the asphalt.  It's bumpy to say the least haha!  The Uppababy Mesa Henry is the only 100% chemical free according to healthystuff.org (or ecocenter.org) and they do extensive testing.  I've also done extensive research and have not once come across Phil&Teds.  While one of the bloggers did contact them and they came back with those claims, the lack of their products showing up in all my other research (which I assure you is a lot haha!) makes it just seem fishy.  Thank you though!  I do appreciate the response regardless :smile:
  • BusyZee said:
    @stokesm21 I feel for you, I hate spending more than I want to, do you have any pilot friends or anyone who works between Canada and America who could get you the stroller from here? I don't know where you live but I know one pilot.

*Stuck in the box*

I could easily go down as I'm not far away but my passport is expired.  My Mom has friends who cross often but the logistics just make it all messy.  I've have to time the shipment to the UPS Store with their arrival or departure.  I honestly am thinking it's 1 baby for now.  I can buy the stroller used then purchase a new one when the second comes along.  
  • @stokesm21 do whatever suits you, whatever is economical and whatever is easy. I personally will try to buy only the things I intend to keep because I like buying things once and for all(I try to only make long term purchases). I do all my purchases like that. The good thing is you'll be able to sell the stroller for a good price aswell so it might work out for you. 
  • Have you heard of Norwex? The microfiber allows you to clean with just the cloth and water, no toxic chemicals needed. The cloth removes 99% of bacteria. Www.norwex.biz it's a game changer.
  • Have you heard of Norwex? The microfiber allows you to clean with just the cloth and water, no toxic chemicals needed. The cloth removes 99% of bacteria. Www.norwex.biz it's a game changer.
    I actally recently had someone mention this company to me. Haven't had a chance to check them out yet but thanks! 
  • Bumping this. 
    Can someone in the United States please suggest a good detergent for baby clothes (preferably we all use the same one) 
    and also a good shower/tile/sink scrubber. Sprays don't work for me.  
  • @BusyZee I'm terrible when it comes to my shower cleaner.  There are only 2 not chemical-free products left in my house and that's Weiman stainless steel cleaner for my appliances and scrubbing bubbles for my shower and tub.  I have yet to find anything that works as well or compares to either so good luck!  Hoping people can recommend something I might be able to find in Canada as well.  

For general bathroom cleaning I use the Method toilet bowl cleaner and their bathroom cleaner.    
  • I use vinegar to clean everything I can, including my shower. As for detergent, Charlies Soap is the best and most affordable one I found. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • kerils said:
    I use vinegar to clean everything I can, including my shower. As for detergent, Charlies Soap is the best and most affordable one I found. 
    FYI, According to my facebook group Laundry Love and Cleaning Science, a spin off from the cloth diapering group, Charlies Soap will destroy your clothes and it's definitely not safe for cloth diapers.
    https://www.fluffloveuniversity.com/cloth-diaper-myths/why-dont-we-recommend-charlies-soap/
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • @GlitterFish  I hate the internet. The sites I found said it was one of the best ones across multiple sites! Im about 5 seconds from giving up. Thanks for the heads up. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • This is horrible.  Chemical burns?  I will do some research but I'm really hoping this article is not true.  I just switched from Charlie's soap to soap berries a week ago but reading this stuff still makes me sick to my stomach because we have been using this brand for 21 months after reading tons of reviews. Ugh!

• @kerils I feel ya!  It's so much stuff to wade through and you never know what's true or not.  I was recently looking something up, I can't quite remember what it was (wipes maybe?!) and one website listed a brand as bad and another recommended it!  I knew that the one recommending it really didn't do their research but still.  How do they expect people to make informed decisions?  *sigh*  
  • Ladies just know just cos it's all natural doesn't mean it can't react badly to skin, to fabric etc. my derm was swearing by all clean (becahse I got an awful skin reaction) and said she's never seen anyone reacting to it and has no scents etc. what say?
  • lamorklamork member
    edited April 2017
    @stokesm21  @kerils  @BusyZee

About baby carriers...
    There are actually a lot of baby carriers out there that are organic, but aren't the big comercialized companies that you can find in box stores.

MOBY Wraps- while they may be rated up to 35lbs most people don't find it comfortable or safe to use it anywhere close to that weight limit. This is because it is like a thicker jersey type material that has a good amount of stretch to it (think t-shirt material in terms of stretch but thicker). Once a baby gets in the 15-20 lb range most people find that the give of the fabric is more than they feel safe or comfortable using.

Woven wraps are a good alternative if you have the patience to learn to wrap (I did not), but they can be used from birth and can be used until you choose to stop carrying. They are extremely versatile and can be used in front, back, and hip carries. A lot of campanies make these from organic materials.

Ring slings like woven wraps can be used from birth and through toddler-hood and have a lot of companies that make them from organic materials (most often 100% cotton, but you can also find organic linen and bamboo blends too). 

Mei dais (or Mei tais as they were formerly called) are also good options. There are also many brands that use 100% organic cotton on these. I know one of you brought up the concern of the padding. This is not something I worried about so I have not looked too much into the padding myself but there are some companies that make their mei dais with thicker wrap style straps and forgo any padding at all which could be a solution for you there. While most people don't recommend mei dais from birth (usually starting around 3 months when baby has a little more head/neck control) these are much easier to size down to fit baby than a buckle carrier. I personally like this style carrier best in terms of comfort, but it does take a little longer to put on (not by much) and the straps can easily get dirty because they are so long they drag on the ground before you tie it on you. This is also easy to get a good fit on most wearers without needing to readjust straps each time so if you and your partner are very different in height/weight it is easy to share with little to no hassle of readjusting.

Buckle carriers are the most common carrier you can find at box stores, but there are so many other brands/styles out there if you look online/at specialty stores than what you can find at the major retailers. There are plenty of companies that make them out of 100% organic cotton as the base material, but I would assume that the webbing, buckles, and most likely padding on most of these are not eco-friendly. I personally did not look for any of those to be, so I am not sure how likely you would be to find any company that is 100% eco-friendly on a buckle carrier.

Sorry for the novel but I do like carriers and own and use multiple with my DD and plan to with this one also. A great resource for carriers in general (though not eco-friendly info necessarily) is thebabywearer.com. It is a community/forum based website with a lot of information about a lot of different carriers. It is an awesome rescource especially if you choose less traditional carrier type and the women are extremely helpful with trouble shooting if you have any questions or issues with comfort.

• @lamork thankyou :smile: will look into it  <3
  • Anyone have any advice on how to get rid of ants in a cat friendly way? It doesn't have to be natural or eco-friendly (when it comes to bugs, I really don't mess around) but it does have to not be harmful to cats and I'm guessing more natural and eco-friendly methods would be. She sticks her nose in everything, and she loves the windowsill they are on. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • @lamork Welcome to our thread!  Some valuable information there for sure, thank you! 
  • @kerils Iv been battling the same issue, Iv just been cleaning more frequently because I noticed they day I got lazy and didn't do my counters after cooking is when they all barged in. 
  • @kerils Ant traps are supposed to be pet safe. I had a dog eat one once! haha
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Hi guys, generally a lurker on this thread. I aim for less toxic/more natural when possible, but probably only 70% success. 

@kerils cinnamon and cayenne pepper work to derail ants and are nontoxic for cats. Cayenne is also an aversive for cats (ie, they don't like it, but it won't hurt them) so it is used in some sprays designed to keep them out of places, so don't use it in places you want your cats to be, like by their food or litter. I don't know how cats react to the cinnamon, our issues have been in non-Cat areas. 
  • Ohh thanks @optbaby2017 I will try this. lurk away!