July 2017 Moms

July EcoFriendly Mama's

Re: July EcoFriendly Mama's

• BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited January 2017
    I second Egyptian magic, it really does work 
    also a humifier has really helped with that. 
  • @virginiaunicorn11 Also am not sure if it's available in Germany but I have the same problem. The only thing that has ever worked for me is Burts Bees Banana Hand Creme. It is really thick and I put it on at night. I fixes my hands overnight sometimes, but at most it takes three days. I only put it on at night because it doesn't completely absorb immediately so I have to let is stay on. It is 100% worth the inconvenience. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks, ladies! Burt's Bees doesn't work for me @kerils but I really appreciate the tip.

My parents are coming next week (yay!!!). Will ask them to bring some Egyptian Magic to try. Thanks, ladies!
  • stokesm21stokesm21 member
    edited January 2017
    @kerils I will be joining you on the vegan bandwagon soon. :)  Before I got my BFP I was reading a book on becoming a vegetarian (yes. I know they're not the same thing)  I didn't want to just jump right into it. Then life got... busy haha and I kind of put it on the shelf until after baby. Well I watched my 1628485th food documentary last night (lol!) and DH just announced that he was done eating meat! *cue freak out* I was like,  "How am I supposed to feed you?!" Our grocery trip today was about 95% fruits and veggies. Well, some nuts and seed and such as well. We already have a lot of beans on hand (kidney, lentils etc.) I still bought some chicken for myself. I think I need to be careful with baby. I know I don't need meat to grow this thing but I just don't want to jump too fast and put him/her in jeopardy. 

I downloaded the Forks Over Knives app a while back and ended up having to go through it today to find some recipes. Thankfully I was able to find a lot of stuff that sounds amazing and that will be easy for me to make. I guess I'm going to have to hit up the book store tomorrow for some vegetarian & vegan cookbooks. Do you have any recommendations? I know a lot can be found online but I like books too. I think my biggest struggle is going to be learning how to cook without cream, butter, cheese etc. Omg cheese! I know they make vegetarian stuff but it's one thing I don't know if I'm going to be able to give up. It will be an adjustment for sure. I literally had to check the ingredients on everything today to make sure he can eat it. (The few processed stuff we did pick up like canned soup. I will make our own eventually but was not prepared for it at the moment) 

Thankfully, as previously mentioned, we will be able to grow pretty much all of our veggies come summer. We also live in the country so farmers markets are in abundance. I guess we will just have to actually GO! But on a good note, it's something DH can do and enjoy together. He's excited to grow as well.  

So here goes nothing! LOL

Edits: spelling and grammar
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • @stokesm21 Forks over Knives is a fantastic resource. For pregnancy specifically, I read the Everything Vegan Pregnancy book which covered the basics of nutrition, both pregnant and not. Thug Kitchen is a fantastic recipe book, although fair warning it is very heavy in "bad" language. It's just the style of the book. Online recipes are always good from the Minimalist Baker (not all vegan but lots) and Oh She Glows(I'm pretty sure her things are exclusively vegan). I also like the book Eating Animals. It's not super biased, and it gives a lot of information to go into conversations if anyone asks you about your diet. If you are interested in more scientific reading, I would definitely recommend The China Study. LOTS of good info in there too. There are substitutes for pretty much anything you want in terms of dairy. The best tasting cheese is Chao brand, but it can be expensive, so I only get it as a special treat. I really don't eat much in terms of dairy subs anymore, but when you're transitioning, those substitutes make it ten times easier. There is also Daiya and Go Veggie cheese, both of which are decent. I like Daiya better, watch the Go Veggie. Some of them are not vegan. And Daiya tends to be a love or hate thing, so you may hate it. Just buy one bag to try it out first. Daiya also has frozen pizzas and boxed mac and cheese. The pizza is better, the mac and cheese will do. There's also TONS of ways to make mac and cheese vegan with recipes online. I would suggest trying your own before resorting to the box. 
    As far as cooking, it's super easy to use things that aren't dairy based. If you want to keep using an oil (like butter) olive oil is the healthiest, but sunflower, safflower, and walnut are good too. Earth Balance also makes a really good vegan butter, and there is one that's organic if that matters to you. You can also use water 99% of the time to cook things, and it works out great. For sauces, So Delicious makes the best milk products to me for the best price. 
    If you are interested in using any meat substitutes, there are a few brands that I use off and on that are pretty great. The best is the Beyond Brand. They have soy and pea based meats, chicken, beef, and burgers. There is also Gardein (soy based) and Field Roast (mostly seitan, but also some soy). My favorite Field Roast is there breakfast sausages with apple and maple. I just love them, and I didn't even much like sausage pre-veganism. 
    I don't use most of the subs anymore, but like I said, when you're transitioning it can make a huge difference. Note on nuts: Cashews are the gods of making your own vegan cheese, as well as all kinds of other sauces and awesome things. Plus, they are high in iron, which is great for pregnancy. Blackstrap molasses (semi sweet) has a ton of calcium and iron in it, so if you can find a way to incorporate it into foods, it'll give you a nice boost. You can make your own soy sauce with that and apple cider vinegar, plus some spices like ginger and garlic. You can also put it over ice cream, in small amounts. It's a lot like honey, it's just not nearly as sweet. 
    If you are at all worried about B12, get yourself some nutritional yeast. I like Bob's Red Mill brand. It adds a slightly cheesy flavor, but it mostly just adds depth to the dishes you add it too. Definitely for savory dishes. I throw it on popcorn, stir fry, pasta, pretty much anything I can. I'm addicted to the stuff, but it has lots of B12 in it, so it's good to use regularly. If you don't get that brand, make sure whatever you get is fortified with B12. Some nutritional yeasts (nooch is the familiar term, but no one outside of another vegan would likely know what I'm talking about) are not. 
    As for Vitamin D, I am personally taking a supplement just because I'm pregnant, concerned about it, and really don't get much in my preferred diet (which I have been unable to change in pregnancy like I would have. My stomach is not liking being pregnant). Plus I live in a cloudy 90% of the time cold climate at the moment. Once it warms up and I can walk outside regularly, I won't be taking it anymore. There are also lots of cereals, milks, and other products that are fortified with it, so you can find it in fortified vegan foods. 
    I'm not entirely sure how much of this is available in Canada in terms of food, but if you have any more questions or want any more suggestions, feel free to PM me, or just comment back on here. I love helping out anyone who is interested in any plant based foods. Good luck with the transition and welcome to the delicious side! Oh, note on transitioning. I didn't personally have this, but some people have some gastrointestinal issues when they first transition. It goes away in about a month. It's mostly due to the extra fiber in the food, and apparently your body detoxing from the animal products. Minor stomach aches, gas, etc. It's nothing really crazy. And don't feel like you have to go cold turkey or get discouraged if you slip. It's pretty common, and you're still making a difference for your health, the environment, and the animals. I found that finding other vegans/vegetarians to talk to, finding a great restaurant in my area that I loved, and joining Facebook groups was really useful for me. Some groups are nuts online, but a couple of them are really inviting and kind to transitioners, so just be careful on there.The best one I have found is the Vegan Food Enthusiasts. All food, every once in awhile animal activism, and very few jerks. To find restaurants, I always use the Happy Cow website. It's lists at least a majority of the vegan/vegetarian/omni restuarants with vegan options as well as health food stores, bakeries, groups, and farmers markets in whatever area you want. It has reviews, info on the establishments, and normally will let you know up front how vegan friendly it is. Lots of Indian/Asian and sometimes Mexican restaurants have vegan foods without really trying. I traveled for about a year of my life, and this site found me so many resources.If you do go somewhere where the menu isn't labeled, just ask them if there is any dairy, eggs, meat, and what they cook with. A lot of places cook even things like rice or beans in chicken broth, or fry things in a good oil but in the same container as chicken and fish.  Also, you don't always have to go to the health food stores to get good vegan stuff. Target and Walmart carry a pretty good variety, and even my local stores in this relatively small area are starting to carry things. DO READ LABELS. Companies hide things like dairy in everything they can. Even things like trail mix. Anything "lactic" pretty much isn't vegan, and if there is any cholesterol listed on the nutrition label, it isn't vegan. There is zero cholesterol in plant foods, only animal products. 
    Hope this helps!
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • @stokesm21 OH technically, honey is not vegan. There is a hot debate among vegans about whether they eat it or not. I personally don't really buy it, but if it's in cereal or something, I don't actively avoid it. If you are looking for a sub for baking or tea, agave syrup is light and sweet. Maple syrup is also good for baking. Just wanted to warn you in case you come across it. Don't let the haters/vegan nazis get you down. The majority of the vegan community is full of awesome, kind, compassionate people who just want to help those who are interested in more information.  
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • Oh she glows and minimilist baker are great resources I've been using them for while. @kerils
  • @kerils Wow!  That's quite the resource haha thanks!  Yes I am Canadian so I'm going to have to find comparable brands.  I have seen a bunch of this stuff in my stores though so hopefully it won't be too hard.  I do recall So Delicious off the top of my head.  I didn't think Happy Cow would work for me but they actually do have a nice list for the nearby city.  I don't know how strict I'm going to be.  I want to give up meat but I'm not sure if I'm going to want to worry about restaurant dinners made with chicken stock haha!  I know a lot of people who go vegetarian first then eventually transition over to vegan.  That will most likely be me  :P I have definitely heard of nutritional yeast.  I've been B12 deficient for some time so I take a daily supplement.  I suspect it will be much of the same making this change.  We do get sun here.  The coldest days are usually the sunniest although I generally don't go out in the winter at all.  I have nooooo interest in that shit haha!  In the summer I try to be outside as much as I can.  

I do have a lot of support on my side.  I have family in the U.S, all 3 cousins of which are somewhere in the medical field.  One is a psychologist (well, he just finished his PhD) who goes plant-based during the day and only eats meat at dinner.  One is a registered dietitian who works at a center for eating disorders.  She use to be a vegetarian but I think she's back on meat now.  Their younger sister is a vegan although she does call herself a "flexitarian" because she will eat meat only at special family occasions like Christmas, Easter etc.

I'm down with Thug Kitchen.  Unfortunately I'm quite the potty-mouth myself (gotta clean that up before baby lol!) so it sounds like my kind of book.  Oh She Glows has been recommended to me time and time again so it's clearly a good choice.  I will have to leave the Minimalist Baker to my husband because surprisingly, he's the one in our house who does that.  I'm the cook, he's the baker.  

I am well aware of the honey debate.  I actually laughed about it to my husband the other day.  "Are you going off honey too?" when I read it in the ingredient list of whatever it was we were buying.  I don't think I'll actively avoid it but I'm not normally a fan anyways.  I've only ever eaten it if it was in something already (I do love honey nut cheerios) or if a recipe called for it.  

Anyways.  Thanks again!  :) 
  • @stokesm21 Sure! It does all depend on how strict you want to be. There were things like the chicken stock that I didn't even realize was a thing until 2-3 years into being a vegan. Just figured I would warn you, because I wouldn't have guessed it myself. I also have quite the sailor mouth, as does my husband. I don't think I even can stop. I manage to filter myself around family, but at home it's just part of my language. I'm just hoping to teach my children not to talk like that around people they don't know are ok with it.. we'll see how that goes. That's great that you have support already. I'm pretty alone in my family and friend world, especially now that I'm out of college. I'm the same way with the weather. I hate the cold, and my best pregnancy exercise is taking a walk outside, which I just can't do in the cold right now. Oh well, I'll be super in shape once April gets here. Then you won't be able to keep me inside. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    edited January 2017
    My first vegan meal last night left something to be desired lol!  But not because it was vegan, more like I would have seriously tweaked the recipe.  Less lentils, more bell peppers, less chili spice and probably would have skipped the cilantro.  I think there was way too much of the sauce period.  It would have been nice if it was lighter.  It was at least edible and DH enjoyed it so I guess that's a win haha!  Back to meat eating tonight only because I don't want to waste what little I have left in my freezer.  If DH wants vegan I guess he's going to have to fend for himself lol! 
  • tuxielove93tuxielove93 member
    edited January 2017
    @stokesm21 Lol it took me awhile to get good at cooking vegan. I was so used to using cheese to flavor stuff, and was so not used to actually utilizing spices properly. Your tastes buds also start to adjust and vegetables get a lot of their true flavor back. It gets better, I swear. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • @kerils Don't worry, I believe you haha!  That's my problem too.  I use lots of butter, cream sauces, cheese etc. to flavour things.  I've always wanted to learn how to use spices properly so I guess this is my chance!  :) 

Does anyone have recommendations on disposable diapers?  I've read that it's best to avoid cloth for the first few weeks until the umbilical stub falls off?  Have I heard correctly?  I've been looking at Naty by Nature, Aleva Naturals or Honest Company.  Unless someone has another recommendation (that I can find in Canada) 
  • My personal experience with avoiding dairy was that, substitutes just didn't hit the spot. If you just accept that this isn't cheese this isn't dairy you can actually enjoy the vegan food for what it is. I started enjoying my cauliflower sauce pasta once I accepted this isn't cheese and I really enjoyed my almond meal spread once i got over looking for substitute flavours. 
  • stokesm21 said:
    @kerils Don't worry, I believe you haha!  That's my problem too.  I use lots of butter, cream sauces, cheese etc. to flavour things.  I've always wanted to learn how to use spices properly so I guess this is my chance!  :) 

Does anyone have recommendations on disposable diapers?  I've read that it's best to avoid cloth for the first few weeks until the umbilical stub falls off?  Have I heard correctly?  I've been looking at Naty by Nature, Aleva Naturals or Honest Company.  Unless someone has another recommendation (that I can find in Canada) 
    I did disposables for the first week or until the meconium passed - black tar isn't easy to get out and not worth the effort in the first week postpartum in my opinion.  I use Bambo disposables and have been pretty pleased with them.  I cloth diapered for over a year while baby was exclusively breastfed - and transitioned to disposables fully once he was eating more solid foods and hence real food solid poop around 15/16 months.  I did not have a problem cloth diapering with the umbilical stump there- I used infant sized cloth diapers that have a cutout for the navel.  This is also not a problem if you use prefolds.
  • @BusyZee  Great way of thinking!  

@caribbeanmama  Thanks for the advice.  I do plan on using prefolds but disposables for the meconium phase seems like a good idea haha! 
  • I'm back for more recommendations!  Organic baby carriers ... I've been looking at ERGObaby and Britax both in their organic lines.  Does anyone have experience with either?  The Britax is significantly less expensive which is swaying me but ERGO seems to be the more popular brand.  
  • Piggybacking on the carrier discussion: I already have a MOBY wrap, and I was going to buy two of these, but are they only good for the first few months? If that's the case I might take the second one off and get a better carrier that will last longer. It scares me to put a newborn into those structured ones, but I'm fine using them once they can hold their head up. Any ideas STM or FTM who have looked into it? 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • Iv also Been looking for carriers, I would love to be able to wear the baby while I'm doing my thing but I get concerned if they'd be comfortable. 
    edited February 2017
    @kerils I've read nothing but good things about both. I put a Moby and ERGObaby on my registry. I think you're right that Moby's are used when they're little, ie: newborn then you can move up to another one. BUT you can get ERGO's with an infant insert! So it's the best of both worlds. 

ETA: I think Moby's would be best around the house while ERGO's would be better for more extended activities like outdoor stuff, grocery shopping etc. Just my opinion but I guess I'll find out haha!

@BusyZee
  • Ergo looks like it has more support. 
  • I think I found what I like. First I looked it up and babies can still be 3 years old and 35 pounds, so I'm no longer concerned about the weight limit on my MOBY wrap. BUT I did find out that MOBY has a Babyhawk line that is basically a hybrid of the full wrap carrier and the more structured ones like the Ergo. So I registered for their Mei Dai which goes from 8-40 pounds. More structured back, babies can be worn on your back instead of just the front, but still ties into place, so it's completely adjustable. I'm hoping/DH said he wants to wear as well, so readjusting straps every time we want to switch the baby is just going to be nonsense. Not sure if it's actually organic though, so it may not help you out @stokesm21
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • stokesm21 Chickens are great! 
     Just make sure you have them well contained as ours love to come inside (and poo on the carpet!) and also they love chilli plants - they got into our veggie garden and ate the whole plants leaves and all (partner was not impressed!).
    Fresh free range eggs are so tasty. If you don't wash them they last ages (so much longer than supermarket eggs) and my colleagues are always happy to take spares! 
  • @Nellin ahh so lucky! I won't be having my own chickens anytime soon but my parents neighbors have eggs and we used to buy their eggs and they are heavvvenly! Yummy orange/red yolks. Nothing compares honestly. 
    edited February 2017
    @Nellin Oh man they won't be anywhere near my house haha! We are gearing up to grow our garden this year and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to keep the freaking turkeys out of it. Tempted just to shoot them and feed them to my cats lol! (I'm a raw feeder and my cats prime meat is turkey. But I'm not a hunter so as ugly as they are, I'd never actually be able to kill them haha! So I'm just joking on that one.) Neighbour feeds them and her house is on the market... I don't want them looking for goodies on my lawn once she leaves! I have not had farm eggs yet but I really need to get on that. They are better all around and I should especially be using them for my cats food as well. @kerils I'm curious as to if you know where the vegan community stands on chicken eggs if I raise the chickens myself? From a cruelty aspect? (As opposed to health)  Part of me feels like it would be no different but I do have the space for them to roam, live good lives and be well taken care of. 

And on another note, I have to share my excitement. Got this gem made locally for me this past week. I took a pic of the IKEA one and put some feelers out there. (Particle and fiber  board is on my "no-go" list for chemical free) I was surprised at how inexpensive it was. Still more than IKEA but for solid wood it was a steal! I picked up some eco-friendly, chemical free paint last weekend to start the crib and got an extra jar for this beauty. Picking it up on Sunday! Eeekk! LOL 

ETA: Shelf is for nursery and I'll be lying it horizontally rather than having it vertically like in the pic. 

• stokesm21 said:
    I'm back for more recommendations!  Organic baby carriers ... I've been looking at ERGObaby and Britax both in their organic lines.  Does anyone have experience with either?  The Britax is significantly less expensive which is swaying me but ERGO seems to be the more popular brand.  
    Ergo is the best baby carrier in my opinion. I used it when my baby was newborn, just folded up a receiving blanket under her bottom. And continued using it regularly until she was one. I love it and will just reuse it with baby # 2. 
  • @stokesm21 Ah the great chicken debate. There are proponents on both sides. It really depends on you, why you're a vegan, and what you are comfortable with. Generally speaking, people are vegans for three reasons (either one or some combination there of). Health, environment, and animal cruelty/rights. For health, eggs and chickens that are home grown carry many of the same negatives as factory farmed ones, so you're not really gaining a lot of benefit there. Yay for no antibiotics, hormones, or rampant disease, but meat and eggs are still meat and eggs. Environment wise, keeping chickens is a wash. I don't think you're really helping the environment, but I don't see any reason you're really hurting it either. Animal cruelty tends to go both ways. One the one hand, you are saving chickens from inhumane slaughter, cages, etc. etc. On the other hand, you are still using them for their eggs and intend to have them slaughtered for food at some point? Personally, I want to have chickens. I intend to get rescued ones, and then use their eggs and the chickens themselves for food. I doubt I will actually eat the eggs or the meat myself, but my cat, my future dogs, my husband, and possibly my future children (if they decide to eat it) will. If I had become a vegan at a time when I had access to family farms and backyard chickens, I may well have continued to eat them. Now though, since reading about the health negatives of animal consumption, I probably wouldn't eat it anymore. Personally, I take no issue morally with eating animals, just with the inhumane practices used to raise and kill them. So it really depends on you and why you're becoming a vegan and what you are personally comfortable with (as I think it goes with all things vegan). There are "The Vegan Police" as they are affectionately called, who will gladly find anything you do that is not to their standards and dub you a non-vegan. In truth, the person who coined the term defined it as follows: "

Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose" 

People use it the way they want to and have their own standards. I personally focus on the not eating meat or dairy aspect. Basically, you do you ;) 

P.S. Sorry for the obnoxious formatting, I couldn't get it to be normal. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  •  I've been looking at forumula (just in case I am not able to bf) I want to have an alternative ready in case if for any unfortunate reason im
    not able to breast feed. 
    I was mostly looking at German and u.k. Ones but not entirely happy with them. 

Has anybody used/considered any with success? 
  • @BusyZee I think that's something that you'll just have to take as it comes.  Most Mom's I know had to switch their formula multiple times in order to find what worked for their baby.  I don't have any recommendations other than the book that I am reading!  Guide to Breastfeeding by Ina May.  It's amazing and because of it I am 100% confident that I will be able to breastfeed.  
  • If anyone was interested in or looking for pacifiers/teethers, I just found and am quite happy with the natursutten brand. https://www.natursutten.com/
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    edited February 2017
    @kerils Thanks!  There is a company straight up called Hevea that I was planning on buying mine from (well from stores that sell them) but recommendations are always appreciated.  I was excited to see a nice long list of online retailers that sell this in Canada!  :)
  • @stokesm21 Hevea came up on the lists I was looking at too! Natursutten was the top pick, but I think every site had Hevea as the second. I'm slightly concerned about the Natursutten because I happen to be allergic to latex, but I can wear latex/rubber that gets naturally sourced. Plus it looks like from their page they filter out the part of the rubber sap that most people react to. Also, just because I'm allergic doesn't mean my child is doomed for it too. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • stokesm21 said:
    @BusyZee I think that's something that you'll just have to take as it comes.  Most Mom's I know had to switch their formula multiple times in order to find what worked for their baby.  I don't have any recommendations other than the book that I am reading!  Guide to Breastfeeding by Ina May.  It's amazing and because of it I am 100% confident that I will be able to breastfeed.  
    @stokesm21 it's nice to have confidence and I don't want to discourage you, but nothing in life is 100%. 
    When you are dealing with a NICU baby who is severely jaundiced, you're on day 6 with tiny amounts of colostrum and no mature milk, and the NICU doctors start talking about either this baby needs to be supplemented or she's going to end up needing an exchange transfusion, you supplement.

This was my experience with my first baby unfortunately. And as you can guess from my posts here, this was the LAST thing I wanted. But I ended up struggling with supply issues for what felt like an endless miserable several months. This ruined the newborn stage for me. I was literally stuck to the couch nursing, pumping, nursing, pumping, alllll day long for months, and I still don't think I ever established a true full milk supply.  

The ideas that are touted in the breastfeeding world are great. Supply and demand, more milk out more milk made, lovely skin to skin time with your newborn etc etc. It's not so wonderful when you're constantly afraid you're starving that poor newborn and you start becoming obsessed with diaper output to the point it's all you can think about. It is something that truly gives me anxiety when I think I may end up going through the same thing again. But this time, I don't think I would be so hard on myself if I needed to supplement. 

Just wanted to share my experience in case it helps you think about this in more of a flexible way. Honestly, I wouldn't want anyone here to go through the mental torture that was breastfeeding for me for the first 6 months of my daughter's life. Although of course I hope you all will have the easiest time on your nursing journey if that's what you choose. And I love Ina May, but she's definitely an idealist. 

@BusyZee we used Holle formula when we supplemented. It's a German brand. My daughter thrived on it and we never had any issues. They make a goat milk version for babies with more sensitive tummies which is cool. 
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• @yellow1daisy I am sorry you had to go through that, i want to be prepared for the worst too (that's just how I am). I want to be realistic and you never know what may happen. Iv never had a UTI in my life (touch wood) so getting GBS positive in my urine culture (not even the proper test) humbled me and I realized not everything is under my control, so I should prepare myself.

The first time my sister was not able to produce enough despite all the "techniques" and she regrets not feeding her baby enough and just sticking to breast feeding but after a few months she gave up. Thanks for your recommendation, that's the exact one Iv been looking into especially the goat milk one .
    A goat milk American one that I can't remember off the top of my head aswell. Holle formula sounds good to be but il keep looking because you never know what your baby likes(what suits him/her) 

i also really liked your recommendation for ecokindness cleaning products but Amazon has them for so much more expensive and our nearest grocery stores don't have them, where do you buy yours from? 

• I did stick out breastfeeding for 14 months despite the issues. It got a lot less stressful after 6 months when she started solids and after a year when we introduced some other kinds of milk. We were only nursing maybe twice a day at that point and I enjoyed it. I only gave it up at 14 months because I more or less dried up. 

I buy my EcoKindness products from Whole Foods. Not all locations have them so might be the case for your local markets. That's a bummer. 
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• @yellow1daisy Oh no, no.  I don't have any unicorn fairy misconceptions that everything will be 100% okay haha and that everything will go perfect.  My cousins milk didn't start coming in right away so she formula fed for an entire week (maybe a bit more) before she was able to produce.  After that she was able to get her baby "on the boob" (lol) and now her daughter is exclusively breast fed.  My sister tried with both and it was just too stressful so she gave up.  And then I have friends who didn't even want to so I've been exposed to all ends of the spectrum.     

I'm up for the challenge of a lifetime haha!  And as much as I want to EBF, I'm not the type to guilt myself if I can't do it. (Ask me again if I actually reach that point lmao!)  As long as I've tried, that's all that matters.  I do really appreciate you sharing your story.  Everyone is different and it's always good to have multiple perspectives so that you aren't brainwashed into thinking things are one way or another and then wonder 'wtf' when things don't work out lol!  I'm hoping your LO ended up being okay!    
  • @yellow1daisy I live across from Whole Foods and they don't carry them  :( maybe if I requested them to carry them they could do something about it. 
  • @BusyZee you live across from Whole Foods? That would be extremely dangerous for my bank account 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • I know!!! It's a really nice big one too, but I mostly get produce via delivery and try not to buy too many "packaged" things because our budget goes seriously off!!
  • Jealous!  I would love to have a Whole Foods here.  The "fresh" stuff is so crappy at our grocery stores.  I have to go to the expensive store to get anything decent.  But this is our first gardening year and I am soooo looking forward to not have to buy that stuff anymore!  
  • @stokesm21 trust me it's overrated, I like MOMs the best hands down. Also fresh produce is meh near where I live I mostly get it delivered.