May 2017 Moms

Randoms and Questions 2.13 - 2.17

pshaortaopshaortao member
edited February 2017 in May 2017 Moms
Happy Valentines week! <3

Re: Randoms and Questions 2.13 - 2.17

• Has anyone booked a newborn photographer yet, if you plan on doing so? I've been shopping around all week for one and I just cant believe the prices. I've seen prices between $275 and $1400. I think its just crazy! Also, many photographers I've contacted are already booked up.
  • Happy Monday! I really wanted the taste of coffee this morning so I went and got a decaf coffee and a chocolate muffin because if you can't have full caffeine from coffee why not have it in the form of a chocolate muffin!?

@lrwardrop I have not booked a photographer yet. I was looking at one for maternity photos just to see prices, but holy cow they are expensive! My sister is big into photography and takes great photos so I may just see if she can do something with either or both! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     "A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • Loading the player...
  • @lrwardrop they are so expensive!

My mom really likes photography. When DD was born my mom took some beautiful newborn photos for me. That way there was no rush for time. I just won't pay that much for them. My mom's may mot be "professional" but they are way better than nothing!
    April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker

• I have a friend who is a photographer, she offered to do free delivery pictures (Which I totally don't want). We plan to do a newborn session once we are home, but I didn't even ask for a price quote since I knew I'd go with her anyway. We will also do the hospital photos they offer.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Great news @CherryBananas!

For the newborn photos, what about JCPenney's or one of those department stores? Our friends did that and they honestly turned out really nice! (So nice their baby was featured in the catalog!) I'm not willing to pay a bunch for that.

Along the same lines, is anyone doing any kind of brith photography? I plan to bring camera and videocamera, and it'd be nice if there was a company who could put it all together into a new short for us. Anyone know of anything?

Also, my belly button is making it's way into an outtie. :(
  • As far as newborn photos go our hospital offers some affordable packages and the photographers are great. We did it the first time around and plan to do it again this time as well! 

#1 DD Aug 2014 @39weeks via CS

#2 Due May 2,2017 hopeful VBAC

• @Irwardrop I scheduled mine last month. For some reason I was determined to have them so I really hopped on the ball. We choose one that's one the high end around here ($300), but I looked at the next large town an hour away and their prices go from 300-1200. I didn't look too much into it, but if cost is a huge concern, places like Target and JC Penney does them also.
  • @jayandaplus I had gall bladder surgery in june and they use the belly button to go in and now my belly button looks so funny as its getting stretched out!. With my first I never became an outie but it just got pulled and flat now who knows what this new scar tissue in the belly button area is going to do!
  • I'm really lucky because I work with a girl who does photography on the side. She's done most of the girls I work with and I love them. She only charges $200, which around here is a steal. I'm really happy about it. She does maternity for $150, which is reasonable, but I'm not sure I want them. Any insight on that from you STM+s? Anybody get them and love them, wish they hadn't or didn't get them and regret it?? I'm not in love with my body, and I don't know how I'll feel seeing it. But, you're only pregnant so long/so many times, so I wonder if I'll miss out!
  • lrwardrop said:
    Has anyone booked a newborn photographer yet, if you plan on doing so? I've been shopping around all week for one and I just cant believe the prices. I've seen prices between $275 and $1400. I think its just crazy! Also, many photographers I've contacted are already booked up.
    I booked mine back in November but I knew who I wanted and she books up fast. I'm paying $850 and that includes maternity photos and a 3 hour newborn session. Photography is expensive but when you take into account equipment and time spent editing there are most of your costs. I'm a photographer on the side so I guess seeing the back side of it doesn't surprise me the prices are like that. 

@ShadeofGreen816 if you are on the fence I would have them done. You don't have to show anyone and it will be nice to have them to look back on. I bought a gown to wear and am excited to have updated pictures of DH and I. 
  • Photography is insane. We skipped newborn but did a family shoot when kid 1 was 9 months so he would have pictures with dad during deployment and even that was like $500 for a "mini session"? His 1 year photos were probably closer to $1,000, I don't remember.

This was probably one of the weirdest unexpected first year expense categories I had not thought of. FTMs major heads up here. Also book earlier than you think you need to. I called to book the one year photos 2 months before his birthday and pickings were slim. Be prepared for it to take a while to get photos back too. Some people are prompt and have quick turnaround but if you are waiting on photos to send something out you may need to adjust your expectations. Photographers are generally lovely people but it can take forever to get things back. 

May '17 labor memes
  • @Yiggle09 Oh boy! Well, at least we'll have our babies out before bathing suit time? :)
  • hp_mommahp_momma member
    edited February 2017
    We've done newborn photographs for both DD1 and DD2 so we will do them again this time. I think $300 is pretty average from what i remember paying. Newborn photography takes hours and if you get someone who isn't really a "baby whisperer" you won't get this typical sleepy newborn photographs. 
    There is a fellow spouse here who does photography so I'll probably ask her to do the newborn photos. The original lady I wanted is PCSing 3 weeks before I'm due so I had to look again. 

We do professional photos at newborn, 6 months, 1year, 18 months, 2year, and then yearly from then. I think it's a good representation of the various stages. I know some photographers have packages for every 3 months or so but that seemed overkill to us. 

@ShadeofGreen816 I've never done maternity photos and I don't regret it. I just can't imagine hanging them in my house so it seemed wasteful to me. I'd rather save the money for newborn photos. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • @ShadeofGreen816 MH and I took maternity photos the first time around. We're pretty laid back and had majority of them at home. I saved a bunch of poses I liked on Pinterest and showed a photographer friend of a friend. We dressed up in jeans and a t-shirt... posed with our dogs... and I'm SO glad we did them. I changed to a denim button up shirt so I could unbutton the lower ones to expose my belly for a few photos and they were still chill and tasteful. For me, this was something to document in photos... I mean I grew a human! Luckily, she's a fellow nurse and loved doing photography on the side and only charged $200 for everything. 

As far as newborn photos, we, too, were blown away at the prices. So, we invested in a DSLR camera and have been taking monthly photos ourselves (as well as other events). Our hospital offered a service the day after DS was born and those came out great!

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• jayandaplus - I was fascinated with my belly button yesterday. It's definitely starting to push out. Apparently I have a mole there that I never knew about.

I do product photography but tried my hand at baby photos when my grand-nephew was born. My neice really liked them. I'm debating whether I should take my pro-camera with me to the hospital. I don't want to miss out on those first photos but also don't want anything to happen to my camera.
  • @ShadeofGreen816 I would agree that if you are on the fence do them. Maybe don't spend a ton on them, but at least then you'll have some photos to remember this time even if you and DH are the only ones to see them. I love seeing photos of my mom when she was expecting with me and I did them when pregnant with DD so she will have those too. I don't think anyone outside of family has ever seen them. 
  • The March Bump page has a bunch of maternity photos posted, in case anyone wants to get a really good sense about the various options for clothing style, setting/location, props, and overall style/impression of what you might like for your photos.
  • Thanks everyone for all the input! $150 feels reasonable to me but also I could definitely find somewhere else to spend it! I'm doing our taxes today so maybe I'll let that help me decide! If anyone recalls I really messed up my withholdings this year so it's pretty up in the air whether we'll owe a ton or a little or nothing... eeekkk
  • I got maternity photos taken last pregnancy and they turned out so nice, I am glad that I got them taken. I made a book with them and I love being able to look back and see. I had them taken on the beach at sunset. Not the traditional cheesy poses, more of a "lifestyle" session.

This time I booked a mini photo session so I could get a couple pictures with my toddler while I am pregnant. I don't care to be the main focus this time, I just want one or two sweet pictures with my baby! I tear up when I think that he wont be my only baby anymore.. anyway that's a different topic.

Every time I book a photographer I am just shocked at the prices, I love the memories but I just wish it wasn't so expensive... 

• Good to know @squirtgun! I had no idea! I was always curious how those pictures worked since babies can't hold their head up when those pictures are typically taken. 

• @CherryBananas such great news about your dad!! Hope he continues to get better!

As for photography, my SIL is an amateur photographer and has done my engagement pics as well as boudoir pics for me.  She has also done baby pics of her children so she is going to do newborn pics and maybe maternity pics if I don't feel like a cow.

I was lurking on TTGP and saw they had a thread about why your user name is your user name, and I thought that was kind of interesting. Anyone else interested in that? 
  • @jayandaplus our hospital would not allow video taping during delivery for liability reasons. So I would definitely ask your hospital. Pictures were fine. 

@ShadeofGreen816 if you can find a reasonable price for maternity pictures I say do them. Like a pp said, you never have to show anyone but it is nice to look back at them. 

We took maternity pictures with a friend of mine who didn't charge an arm and a leg. I really like them, although I would caution anyone doing maternity pictures to make sure that you are not walking a lot during your photos. I was feeling really good, so we did a short hike to take our pictures and I definitely look more swollen/bloated then I usually looked. 

We also did newborn photos at Target because of a mix up with my same photographer friend that did our maternity photos, and I HATE them! The Target studio just does not have the right backdrops, props, or photographers to capture those really beautiful newborn photos. They have done better with other pictures of DD as she got older. But the newborn ones are awful. 
  • I keep seeing Target as an option...I didn't know Target had a photography area...interesting. Is it only certain Targets?

• So, I just looked it up and it said it is no longer available and redirected to JCPenny portraits...

• @lrwardrop I've been looking at maternity photographers and having the same trouble. Found one I LOVE, $600 for a mini session.
    For newborn, we've been talking about flying out a photographer friend from the MSP area. I need to check in and see how serious she is about it, but she's ahhhmazinggggg.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • I plan on doing baby's newborn pictures myself. I have taken nieces and nephews newborn pictures before and thought they turned out pretty good. However, I really want a new camera as mine is 6 years old and I'm trying to talk DH into it, but he is thinking it may be a Christmas present :-/ I also plan on bringing a camera to the hospital. Not sure about maternity pictures as I can't really take them myself and haven't  considered putting money into it. 
    Also, I did not know some Targets take portraits. Crazy!
  • I took DD1 to Target when she was two for photos. It was AWFUL. The photographers really have very little training and the pictures turned out horrible. My kids have always done great with photographers even at a young age and when I took her the next week for photographs with a professional photographer it was 1000 times better. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • lrwardrop said:
    Has anyone booked a newborn photographer yet, if you plan on doing so? I've been shopping around all week for one and I just cant believe the prices. I've seen prices between $275 and $1400. I think its just crazy! Also, many photographers I've contacted are already booked up.
    We talked to our wedding photog and the pricing was insane. They've recently changed their business model to print, so maternity session was $150 with an $850 min print order. Newborn was $250 with $850 minimum print order. No digital copies. 

$2200 of all print photos we can't share on social media. Hell no!

A girl I met a few years ago does photo on the side and we are getting a maternity/family session for $250 total, including digital prints. Still looking for newborn. 
  • bacorreabacorrea member
    edited February 2017
    lrwardrop said:
    Yes! I did about 2 weeks ago and I took the second to last spot. I had to put down a deposit. $300 for 20 photos with printing rights with the option to buy more.
  • Q for you past Team Green moms: Did you really get any clothes at your shower(s)? It dawned on my this weekend I actually may not get a lot of clothes for baby and should probably start thinking about getting some stuff for immediate wear.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • So I know a lot of STM have posted about producing colustrum already, but have any of you felt that "letdown" feeling? I haven't produced anything, but I'm feeling a "letdown" like 5 times a day and it's weirding me out.

@nda_roxybabe I think no matter what team you are, people love to buy baby clothes so you will probably get some. But thinking about buying a few staples definitely isn't a bad idea.
  • @MoshiMoshi7 I started having the "letdown" feeling a couple times over the weekend. I don't remember that happening with DD2. Nothing is happening but definitely getting the feeling. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • This is going to be way off topic but, I was again lurking on TTGP and @antoto started a discussion regarding writing to your representatives to oppose the personhood bills.  As someone who had to begin treatment due to infertility, this means something to me.  This post is in by no way something I'd like to go back and forth about- just something to read and take action on if you find it important.  So again, please read!  <3

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12701869/very-important-for-ladies-with-if-and-those-who-want-to-support-us-please-read#latest
  • @nda_roxybabe  I received several sets of neutral onesies and PJs.  A lot of it was duplicates because there's only so much neutral baby clothing out there (esp. at Carters) and I think most people didn't realize that I'd be ok putting a girl in lots of "boy" stuff. 

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor