July 2017 Moms
Options

Announcing!

Re: Announcing!

• Options
    We announced to the rest of our family on Christmas Eve/Day and everyone was shocked. I gave the grandparents a framed photo of DH and I holding up a onesie. Our Facebook announcement was a photo of us holding a car seat and standing in front of DH's 2-door Jeep with the caption "We're gonna need more doors..." it was really well-received and I feel like everyone was shocked!! It's a little bit of a relief now that it's out in the open. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    thank you @ktewart!! I had the books, but threw the idea together the night before  :D
  • Options
    We send a (kind of) daily email to our parents with a picture and a little anecdote about our son - a tradition since he was born, since we live in another continent. We made a sign that said, "I'm going to be a big brother ~July 2nd!" and sent it in the daily email. 

We probably won't do a FB announcement (didn't last time - my 8 month pregnant belly just happened to be in a photo one day). We tell real friends by email and whatnot, and that's enough for us.

Love these thoughtful announcements that you all are doing! It's fun to see everyone's different personalities shine. 
    Awww that's so sweet that you send a daily email with anecdotes to boot!  What a cute idea!  Now I feel bad that we don't make anywhere near that kind of effort to keep our parents connected - I'm also in a different country 3000 miles away and not big on Facebook either.  Ugh!  You're making the rest of us look bad!
  • Options
    We're announcing on NYE. My husband is a media arts nerd and he's making a movie trailer like he did for our dd. DD's trailer was an "in a world" style trailer that talked about a new chapter. This one is called sibling rivalry. DD is a super hero and she's gearing up to meet her arch nemesis. It's going to be super cute. We're going to fool everyone into watching it again like we did last time. DD's was at the end of a family video thing. It was kind of a "hey, since we're all sitting here...let's watch this movie trailer" thing. We're cutting into the snow video we made a couple years ago with this one. It's going to be fun. 
  • Options
    ktewart said:
    @mrscate88, you're so sweet to ask! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to tell ho
     the way I was hoping because I started bleeding on the 23rd, so I had to tell him on the way to the ER, since he was going to see on the ultrasound anyway. But he was super excited, once we saw two healthy heartbeats despite the bleeding. He immediately started talking extra names to keep me occupied while we waited for the doctor. I wish I had his face on video, though - even with the circumstances, it was priceless!
    Oh yes that's true...Dumb bleeding ruining the surprise! But still, how wonderful that his reaction was excitement and that he got to see his two healthy babies that night. That makes my heart so happy! 
  • Options
    @GeorgiaWife6912 That's the same as ours!! Apparently it was a popular idea!
  • Options
    @GlitterFish I just literally busted out laughing at your announcement.  We have the same ornament (plus DS).  I thought I was looking at a picture I posted already and was confused momentarily that when I ordered it, I forgot to add DS.  We are Amber and Chris as well! But... then I remembered I put Mom and Dad on ours instead of Amber and Chris.

Ahhh, thats so funny! My first dog's name was Cooper, though, so that's definitely out for my little guy! Lol
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Options
    @caribbeanmama lol, we got a lot of pressure from the grandparents and they howl when we miss a day. In exchange, they take the photos and make us a baby book every now and then, so it's a win-win. I also love the app called Ink which lets you make postcards from photos and send them to family members. It's $1.99/card. Postagram is cheaper at $0.99/card but not as nice. We use these for thank you cards when people send DS gifts - snap a quick photo of him with it, on my phone. Super convenient and easier than handwritten (sorrynotsorry!).

Let me know any tips you might have too, please!
  • Options
    @virginiaunicorn11 Whaaaaaa?  Downloading that right now.  We need to send lots of thank you cards for Christmas.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Xath said:
    @virginiaunicorn11 Whaaaaaa?  Downloading that right now.  We need to send lots of thank you cards for Christmas.
    Ditto!!
  • Options
    Anyone waiting for Valentine's Day? We'll be 20 weeks then - had a normal NT scan this week, will get Maternit21 results in January, then have the fetal survey scan the week before Valentine's. We've had a couple of friends with normal early scans that found out bad news at the fetal survey so we're thinking to stay optimistic and positive but wait til then to be public. We've already told our close families who are very good at keeping it to themselves!
  • Options
    Chamomile said:
    Anyone waiting for Valentine's Day? We'll be 20 weeks then - had a normal NT scan this week, will get Maternit21 results in January, then have the fetal survey scan the week before Valentine's. We've had a couple of friends with normal early scans that found out bad news at the fetal survey so we're thinking to stay optimistic and positive but wait til then to be public. We've already told our close families who are very good at keeping it to themselves!
    Honestly, it's 100% up to you! My early September baby we told parents/siblings at V-Day, and extended family/friends at Easter Sunday mass and party after. We waited so long...people couldn't believe I was already so pregnant when they found out! I hardly showed but it made it super exciting for them since the wait was shorter. My SIL does Facebook announcements the second she pees on a stick. Not knocking her, I'm just not like that. It's your comfort level. I am already into my 12th week and our doctor said we could find out the sex at 16 weeks if we wanted. We might wait to start telling anyone and everyone until then. I was 12 weeks at Christmas so we told parents and siblings. Nobody else knows yet. Might just wait until we know the sex again. It was fun that way! 
  • Options
    Chamomile said:
    Probably!  We've told our parents and I'm slowly starting to tell close friends but last time I didn't say anything on social media until about 20 weeks and I'll probably do the same this time. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Xath said:
    Then it's worth buying a bundle of credits so you get a few free cards, to bring the price down!

(I don't work for them - am a non-profiteer - and I don't get a referral discount, so this is just me liking the apps.)

Another tip: when your kids have birthday parties and other kids come - people love getting a picture of their own kid. So send them a pic of their kid eating cake or whatever, as the Thank You card. Big hit!
  • Options
    Xath said:
    Then it's worth buying a bundle of credits so you get a few free cards, to bring the price down!

(I don't work for them - am a non-profiteer - and I don't get a referral discount, so this is just me liking the apps.)

Another tip: when your kids have birthday parties and other kids come - people love getting a picture of their own kid. So send them a pic of their kid eating cake or whatever, as the Thank You card. Big hit!
    That's a great idea!
  • Options
    Finally announced to the parents on Skype on Tuesday, at 12 weeks, so thankful that's over with, they were happy of course almost cried, now just waiting for Panorama results then we'll officially do the Facebook reveal then with a bunch of photos my SIL is going to take this weekend;

congratulations everyone!
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    @caribbeanmama lol, we got a lot of pressure from the grandparents and they howl when we miss a day. In exchange, they take the photos and make us a baby book every now and then, so it's a win-win. I also love the app called Ink which lets you make postcards from photos and send them to family members. It's $1.99/card. Postagram is cheaper at $0.99/card but not as nice. We use these for thank you cards when people send DS gifts - snap a quick photo of him with it, on my phone. Super convenient and easier than handwritten (sorrynotsorry!).

@virginiaunicorn11  Okay - downloaded the app and designs are super cute!  Cancelled my glamour subscription to keep my app purchases fixed lol!  Haven't been able to keep up with issues since baby was born anyway. So, I guess this means I'm growing up and or becoming boring and caught up in the 'family' life.  Can you explain the thing you mentioned about buying a bundle?  Do you mean the card pack?  And are the premium cards worth the extra splurge?  Thanks!

As for tips, I do love MPix for high quality Christmas cards, Announcements, calendars, and other photo gifts.  Been using them for a couple years and we have not been disappointed.  I got my husband a photo book (coffee table style) from there for Father's Day chronicling out our engagement, wedding, pregnancy, and baby's early firsts.  Ironically, it is our 17 month old's favorite book to read.
  • Options
    @Chamomile 20 weeks is a long time to keep it secret unless you really don't show.
    Our immediate family and some close friends know and we are waiting till nipt results to tell more people. Probably won't announce on Facebook at all, or maybe close to due date.
    At 13 weeks I'm already getting a bump (especially when I need to pee!), and it's going to be hard to keep this quiet for much longer! 
  • Options

@virginiaunicorn11  Okay - downloaded the app and designs are super cute!  Cancelled my glamour subscription to keep my app purchases fixed lol!  Haven't been able to keep up with issues since baby was born anyway. So, I guess this means I'm growing up and or becoming boring and caught up in the 'family' life.  Can you explain the thing you mentioned about buying a bundle?  Do you mean the card pack?  And are the premium cards worth the extra splurge?  Thanks!

As for tips, I do love MPix for high quality Christmas cards, Announcements, calendars, and other photo gifts.  Been using them for a couple years and we have not been disappointed.  I got my husband a photo book (coffee table style) from there for Father's Day chronicling out our engagement, wedding, pregnancy, and baby's early firsts.  Ironically, it is our 17 month old's favorite book to read.
    Thanks! Never heard of MPix - will check it out!

I guess I mean the card pack. It's under the "But Ink Credits" option when you click the Ink icon on the top left (on mine anyway...). I've never ordered a premium card, only postcards. If you do it, let me know what you think!
  • Options
    @GlitterFish Sorry they were underwhelming!  I think it's adorable, and I'm super jealous of all of you finding out via bloodwork.  I'm not AMA and not paying out of pocket, so we have to wait for the anatomy scan at 20 weeks.  It's so annoying how people project on you what they want as though you have any control over it!  My family is all "team girl" since I already have a boy.  It kind of makes me crazy.  I wanted to give my uncle a hug yesterday when he said, "I think it's a boy," after looking at the US just because he didn't say I needed a girl.
  • Options
    Thanks @chiquita928! I mean, I wanted a girl too, but what are ya gonna do??? I'm not a Kardashian, so I didn't get the choice lol

Since I am one of those "disconnected" pregnant women, I dont think I took it as personally as my sister, who went through the same with her two boys! She was pissed enough for me!

I saved the evening by reading Pout Pout Fish to everyone though! Lol
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Options
    @GlitterFish Boo! That's sucks! You handled it a lot better than I would would have!
  • Options
    @chiquita928 I'm going nuts too. I really want to know (personally want a boy, but not like desperately or anything) and I can't find out until the anatomy scan either. It's killing me! And half my family won't stop about how they "just know" it's a girl. How?! Is it growing inside of you!? I think not. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Thanks @chiquita928! I mean, I wanted a girl too, but what are ya gonna do??? I'm not a Kardashian, so I didn't get the choice lol

Since I am one of those "disconnected" pregnant women, I dont think I took it as personally as my sister, who went through the same with her two boys! She was pissed enough for me!

I saved the evening by reading Pout Pout Fish to everyone though! Lol
    Well, while reading pout pout fish were you glancing knowingly at your Dad?  (A little tongue in cheek on purpose??)  I mean the story selection was awesome given the situation. Sucks that he was being such a grump!
  • Options
    @caribbeanmama Actually I was explaining to them that I call my husband Pout Pout Fish, and that's why I had gotten this as baby's first toy! (and hence, my screen name)

My aunt said to my dad "I guess (mom) is your Glitter Fish!" Haha

Now my dad wants to record me reading the book out loud, so maybe he needs his own copy!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @caribbeanmama Actually I was explaining to them that I call my husband Pout Pout Fish, and that's why I had gotten this as baby's first toy! (and hence, my screen name)

My aunt said to my dad "I guess (mom) is your Glitter Fish!" Haha

Now my dad wants to record me reading the book out loud, so maybe he needs his own copy!

Oh yehhhh!!! You are glitter fish!!!  Duh!

Wait - it comes with the fish?  We read this story to my 17 month old a lot. Off to Amazon!  Where did you buy it?

• Options
    @caribbeanmama I randomly found it at Marshalls!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @glitterfish it could always be worse, but that sucks when family is weird about positive stuff!!! I only say it could have been worse because when we went to a family get together to tell family, my mom called my DH my old, old, 7 years ago boyfriends name(and we dated for 5 minutes basically)?!?!?!?! We were like what??? Then she turned white as a sheet, I sobbed and yelled at her for ruining everything and we left. Shit like this always happens to me, sadly. Lol My DH took it like a champ probably because I was inconsolable on the car ride home. 
  • Options
    @GlitterFish That's pretty sucky that the family wasn't thrilled for a boy. I'd be a little annoyed if people were still calling him she...they'll have to get over that! 
  • Options
    How have people told their work? 

I'm thinking I might copy a colleague who sent an email while she was out of the office. That way people have a gossip and compose their congratulations face. Given another member of my team has just gone on maternity leave for 10 months I imagine not everyone will be super happy with the news that they'll be another staff member down! 
  • Options
    @nellin I've only told one colleague, but that was mainly because I knew she was really happy with the midwife practice she used and I wanted to find out which one. I'll tell my boss in mid-january during our typical monthly one-on-one (I'll be 12 weeks). I thought about officially waiting until after first tri, but it seemed silly to wait another week and have to schedule a separate meeting. I'll probably tell my colleagues the next day - I'm thinking I'll do the (probably overdone) donuts with the "eat up, my mommy can't be the only one with a belly" note. Not super exciting, but I can't think of anything better and it seems weird to just walk in and announce.
    Me: 30 DH: 30
    Dating: 12/21/2001
    Married: 09/08/2012
    TTC: 09/2016
    BFP: 11/16/2016 EDD: 07/27/2017
    Baby Fish born: 08/01/2017

• Options
    @Nellin I told most people at work individually.  I put "From P, C, PJ and Baby G (due July 2017) on our holiday cards to my work friends.  I work in a high school, so I don't have to officially tell the whole staff...just the people who know me.  I do have to tell my principal at some point, but I have an observation to schedule, so I'll tell him then.  I did tell on of the three APs during a casual conversation, though, so chances are they all know.  It's more chill in my school than an office, though.  They're all just going to be happy I'll be back in September.  My department chair literally did the "Yes!" arm move when I told him I shouldn't need a sub.
  • Options
    @Nellin I will only tell the department head.  Last time I told him over the phone.  This time I may just send a text message because I want him to have time to compose his response.  He will blab to everyone from there I'm sure.  I'm trying to hide the pregnancy until February.  (I'm 14 weeks - so this may not be entirely up to me!)  I just went back to work in the office in September after being on maternity leave, then sabbatical, then working from home over the summer (essentially 14 months), so I'm a little embarrassed to be pregnant again.   This is aggravated by the not so great shape that my program is in - so all our conversations have been about how to get my program back up to a high level.  (The pregnancy was planned - I'm 38 so taking the long term view.)

@LoveLee85 sounds like they must have been nervous?  I mean a boyfriend from 7 years earlier?  It's like a sitcom (minus the embarrassment and crying of course).  Sorry, that was such a disaster for you.