July 2017 Moms

Announcing!

So what are everyone's plans for letting family/friends/work/facebook in on the big news??

I see my family at least once a week so there will be no hiding it - I'm planning to tell them at my birthday party this weekend! 

My BFF is the only one I planned to tell, and she knew the night I got my BFP.

Work I have no idea, I guess when I can't hide it anymore, but I have a teeny office and it's a long way to the restroom!

Would never like to announce on fb because I usually roll my eyes at those posts, but we'll see!
Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 

Re: Announcing!

• Loading the player...
  • I'm so glad you all don't think I'm crazy for ignoring the "12 week rule"! My BFF is very adamant about it!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Probably not till christmas, we won't see any family till then and my first apointment isn't until right before Christmas anyway at 12 weeks.  I'm not sure we'll do anything special announcement wise, it's our third and we didn't for the others. I usually have big plans but so little motivation to do cutesy things. Lol

• AdaByron said:
    @GlitterFish I waited until after 1st trimester with my first. I was just overwhelmed and didn't want to discuss it with everyone and their mother. So I totally understand people who want to wait. But this time I just don't feel like doing all the pretending to drink, and making excuses for how tired I am, and finding things to wear from my real wardrobe that still fit. I'm switching to maternity clothes ASAP.
    I saw my mom on Sunday and she made a joke about how I looked pregnant in the tunic I was wearing! So I can safely say I've been wearing "maternity" clothes for a long time... Unfortunately the real maternity clothes out these days are more "bump accentuating" than flowy tunics!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• LOL @GlitterFish did she know you were trying? I think I'd be pissed if my mom told me I look pregnant!
  • AdaByron said:
    LOL @GlitterFish did she know you were trying? I think I'd be pissed if my mom told me I look pregnant!
    Not at all, but that's my mom for you!
    She HATES that her 2 girls are chubby!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• We told our immediate families and I also told my best friend.  We're waiting until the first US to share with extended family, and will probably tell everyone else around Christmas. I'm torn, part of me wants to do a Facebook announcement but at the same time I know when I was trying that it sucked seeing announcement after announcement on my newsfeed so I'm not sure what to do. I had a friend who mailed announcements to friends and family... I didn't even realize people did that anymore, but it got me thinking that maybe we could do it as like a Christmas card or something.
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• We told our immediate families and I also told my best friend.  We're waiting until the first US to share with extended family, and will probably tell everyone else around Christmas. I'm torn, part of me wants to do a Facebook announcement but at the same time I know when I was trying that it sucked seeing announcement after announcement on my newsfeed so I'm not sure what to do. I had a friend who mailed announcements to friends and family... I didn't even realize people did that anymore, but it got me thinking that maybe we could do it as like a Christmas card or something.
    I've never heard of that either! Maybe birth announcements but definitely not BFP!!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @glitterfish yeah it was just like the kind of cute announcement you'd see on FB but in card form
    TTC history in spoiler
    Baby G born June 2017

• It will be awhile before we announce. Unfortunately my family will not be very supportive.

Me (K)-27 DH (T)-30
    2 Rainbow DDs L-10/26/10 and A-03/27/14
    2 Angels- 10/26/09 and 02/03/15
    Surprise BFP on 10/25/16!!! Baby Firecracker is due on 07/02/17! 
  • @kghusker1003 sorry to hear about your family.
  • @osucma thanks! They were also unsupportive during my pregnancy with DD2, but were thrilled when she was born.  We just don't see eye to eye on some things, but I have learned to let it slide off my back. 

Me (K)-27 DH (T)-30
  • With you @AdaByron! I've already told my immediate family and close friends since this is my second. Funnily enough I had just started fitting into my pre-preg clothes again, but back to maternity wardrobe I go! Congrats to everyone on our BFP's...looking forward to supporting each other through the next 36 weeks! 
  • @GlitterFish I'd be upset too if my mom said I looked pregnant even if she did know this early on! 
    @kghusker1003 I'm sorry about your family as well, I can't imagine having actively unsupportive family while pregnant 
    @AdaByron Totally excited for maternity clothes. I know you pop earlier with the 2nd and I'm going with it. Of course I totally bought new skinny jeans for work 2 weeks ago and even told myself at the time that I would probably get a BFP now that I bought them. I did find some sweet high waisted yoga tights that double as leggings that should last a good while

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @JAM85     thank you too! It was a lot worse with DD2, but I have a really supportive MIL and awesome friends, plus that is one of the main reasons I chose to join a message board.. extra support!

Me (K)-27 DH (T)-30
  • I'd love to keep things quiet until around Christmas, but everyone in the world knows we're trying since we've had two recent miscarriages.  My nausea is usually a giveaway too.  I'm still waiting another week or so to tell DH.  I'm not convinced yet- I need to see lines get darker and know this is really happening.

• We've told one of my sisters who we see all the time and a close friend so far. We will wait a few weeks to tell family when we travel back to our hometown.

Work, sigh, I'm not sure! I want to give my director and colleagues ample time to talk through how my work will be covered. I think it will go over well. I may also be able to stack leave and get more than 3 months, so I'm trying to figure out how to best approach it so that's a possibility.

That work stuff all sounds vague and confusing, but vague and confused about telling work is pretty much how I feel!
  • I'm surprised and encouraged to see so many of you are planning on announcing to family sooner rather than later! I was torn on whether to wait, but this being my very first pregnancy, I don't really want to go 12 weeks without my Mom knowing especially - we are really close. My DH knows obviously and I am telling my BFF tonight because she lives far away and I feel she deserves to know. 
    We will most likely tell our families sometime within the next few weeks, but I don't want to announce to favebook or work until 2nd tri.
  • I told a couple of my super close friends and my online mommy group. I'm thinking I don't want to tell everyone even my siblings until Christmas. We announced at Thanksgiving with my son so I don't want to do that again. I may tell my mom before then but otherwise we aren't saying anything. 
  • I told my BFF and DH told his parents. My mom drives me crazy so she'll have to wait. I think it will be awkward for an announcement so not sure what we will do if anything lol.

@GlitterFish my mom is constantly telling me how fat I am and how I shouldn't eat. So I know how you feel!
  • I want to wait until after our first sonogram and bloodwork in December before we start telling. Our families don't live near us (or each other!), but we will see them at different points in December. I want to buy my family members Christmas ornaments that reveal it (i.e., ones that say "grandma" and "grandpa" for my mom and dad). I'm not sure what we'll do for his family... the Christmas ornament trick might not work since all of his siblings have already had babies. 
  • DH knows, my brother and his brother knows and my dad knows so far. Telling my mom when she gets back from a trip Sunday. A few close friends also know. I like the support so I've been ok with them knowing. Waiting till 2nd tri for Facebook and work to know though! 
  • @osucma that's a cute shirt! I kind of just want it to have lol
    TTC history in spoiler
    Baby G born June 2017

• They have a bunch on a store on Etsy called TheMaternityShop and JLawcreations
  • We are waiting until the dating scan to tell most people.  I have to tell my BFF soon because her wedding is on July 8 and I'm guessing I won't be there.  My mom is staying with us this winter so we told her right away since she would figure it out the first time I turned down a glass of wine.  I went and bought DS 3 shirts, one of them saying best big bro.  I pulled them out of the bag one at a time to show mom with the big bro one last.  Most family will just get a call since they are out of town.  
  • The nature of my job requires I tell my employer ASAP.  So I told my manager and a couple co workers.  I told my  Mom because we see each other several times a week and there would no hiding it.  My Dad wanted me to come visit so I had to tell him why it might be a bit before I do.  No extended family until Christmas probably.  I want to do a cutesy announcement but will probably just tell everyone that morning.
  • I really don't know about this, still weighing it all up, and probably worrying more than I need to.

We live in a different country from all of our family members.

(*TW* IF implied) It's also the first baby news in mom's side of the family since I was adopted 32 years ago. (*TW end*) For that reason I feel it might be good to wait until things are farther along & confirmed. 

He's very close to his mom, I think it will be hard for him to wait to tell her. We'll be visiting them at Thanksgiving (I'll be about 8 weeks) which makes it harder!

With our parents in 2 different countries (neither being the country we live in) we also have to be very diplomatic about things, like who finds out first, and how (Skype vs. face to face).

But... If we can get away with waiting that long, I'm *loving* the Christmas ornament idea. That ticks off the great-grandparents as well! 
  • We will tell our moms/step dads on Thanksgivinng (because I'm gonna need more help with DS and DD, and I don't want them to think I'm just being lazy). We will announce to the rest of the family/coworkers/friends around Christmas. I don't think I'll make a formal FB announcement this time around. 
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• DH wants to just call his parents. I feel thats so impersonal! But maybe he just wants them to know around the same time as my family (tonight).... Am I being ridiculous?  Calling them feels like I'm not even included, too....
    1st grand for them, 3rd for my parents 
    He only speaks to them maybe once a month.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @glitterfish I agree I think a phone call is impersonal. I think if he absolutely wants to that Skype/Facetime would be the best alternative to doing it in person.
  • @GlitterFish Can empathize with this. It sucks not to be able to do it in person for all family members, esp if it's grandbaby #1 for them. Agree with @CAdreamin13 - video call can at least feel like you're included in the convo, added bonus that you can see their reactions.

@Itsnotyourturn I'll have to go check those out ;)

• This is a tough one for us to decide as well.  

By way of history (TW): We told my parents early last time at 6 weeks (earlier this summer) and my Mom was less than excited on account of our having to cancel our trip to the Caribbean to see them due to zika concerns.  She then made an inappropriate comment when we told them about our loss.  Something about the timing not being right so it may have been for the best...  This time we may tell them when the baby is born but that is probably not very mature.  

I think I would love to do an ecard announcement to our family and friends - they live all over - but will hold out for the 12 week mark.  Lots of cute stuff on Etsy as well that we may check out.

I won't tell work until I start showing because I practically just took maternity leave and then was working from home for an extended period of time, so... Eeeek!
  • I guess it's a UO but I don't think a phone call is impersonal.  We told our parents via phone because we weren't gonna see them soon and so we just had them on speaker while we talked to them. They were fine with it! Granted my mom likes to know these things right away lol so I think she'd have been more miffed if I waited forever to tell her, haha.
    TTC history in spoiler
    Baby G born June 2017