July 2017 Moms

Announcing!

Re: Announcing!

• @GlitterFish Would FaceTime be any better? 
    @CAdreamin13 I'm not sure they have facetime. I think his dad has an iphone 3 and DH only has the original ipad...
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Loading the player...
  • DH & I aren't planning to tell our families until Christmas. It's up to him to decide how he wants to tell his mom. I'm going to buy shirts for my mom, dad, and sister with "Best Grandma/Grandpa/Aunt Ever", wrap them with (hopefully) baby's first picture, and make them unwrap them at the same time. I'll probably end up sending my grandparents something with instructions that they call me when they are ready to open it so they can open it while I'm on the phone. DH's dad's side of the family - we haven't discussed this. We'll probably tell them Christmas Eve when we see them all.

I won't post on FB until after 14 weeks (so mid-January). I can't decide what I want to do, but I'll probably involve the dogs somehow. 

I am, however, planning to tell my boss at 10 weeks. Since I work for the government, I need to get everything lined up early for my leave. 
    Married: 10/13/2013
    TTC #1: Mirena removed 5/26/2015; DH - normal SA, me - diagnosed with PCOS 8/4/2016 - on Metformin; BFP - 10/29/2016!!!, EDD - 7/8/2017; DD born 6/29/2017
  • We just told my mom and step dad yesterday! They are essentially the first to know (my friend visited me last week and I told her, since it would be incredibly obvious that I wasn't drinking with her, plus she was in town and it was a good opportunity), but the rest of my family doesn't know. We're going to announce it on Thanksgiving with the disclaimer that it's still early (I'll be 8-9 weeks by then), and a specific demand for my social media-crazed sister to keep things off FB and Instagram for now. The first appt and ultrasound is scheduled the week before on 11/15, so I think I'll feel pretty safe telling everyone on turkey day.

For DH's family, we'll tell a week later when we see them all at an annual post-Thanksgiving dinner we have (since we don't spend Thanksgiving with them). We are very close with DH's brother and wife and will probably tell them before this dinner... they were actually over our house yesterday and it was very hard to not spill the beans! But it's still too early, so I just fake drank to keep up appearances. Will tell friends in mid December or so.
    Me: 33 DH: 34
    Married: Oct 2015
    TTC #1: Sept 2016
    BFP: 10/19/16 ~ blighted ovum ~ D&C 11/23/16
    BFP: 3/24/17   <3  DD1 born 12/2/17
    TTC #2: July 2018
    BFP: 8/26/18 <3  DD2 born 5/16/19

• I've told DH and BFF, going to tell my mom today. The rest of our immediate family will figure it out by Thanksgiving, I'm sure (they know we're trying and not drinking will be a real give away). 

*TW: loss mentioned (or do we not do that here??)* We had a close friend experience a loss recently that has made us both super cautious about telling others before 12 weeks *end TW*

So many good ideas on here for how to announce to others! Going to wait until Christmas. 
    @manillabar I kind of love the idea of a mailed christmas card with an announcement in it (especially since we have still have most addresses from our wedding invites).
    Me: 28 I MH: 27
    Married August 2016
    TTC #1 September 2016
    BFP 10/31/16
    EDD 7/16/17
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Pepper16 the more I think about it, the more I like that idea. H likes it too so I think we're gonn do it! 

My in-laws are chomping at the bit to tell all of their friends -_- yesterday FIL called my H to whine about how they just NEED to tell the neighbors because they keep asking how we are doing and it feels like lying to them to not be able to tell them. ...yeah, right *cue massive eyeroll*
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• pepper16-2pepper16-2 member
    edited November 2016
    @manillabar Your IL's NEIGHBOR'S are on a "need to know" basis?!. Give me a break. 

Married August 2016
    TTC #1 September 2016
    BFP 10/31/16
    EDD 7/16/17
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Pepper16 THANK YOU! that was the perfect gif reaction to that.  There are no words. They're just lucky we didn't have this conversation in person because I would not have been able to hide my facial expressions or the scoffing noises I made
    TTC history in spoiler
    Baby G born June 2017

• @manillabar Yeah... the eye roll/scoff combo is always hard to hide in person haha. Now MH on the other hand has gone to the other extreme and is insisting we keep it from his parents until at least Christmas even though we're hosting them for Thanksgiving; his mom and I usually demolish at least two bottles of red wine whenever we have dinner (or lunch...) together. I've tired to point out that I **think** she just might notice if I'm not drinking for an entire week...
    Married August 2016
    TTC #1 September 2016
    BFP 10/31/16
    EDD 7/16/17
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Pepper16 yikes! It sounds like she's definitely gonna notice! Is there any particular reason why he wants to wait that long? Or just until you're close to out of the first tri? Sounds like he needs to come up with excuses to sidetrack your mom if that's the case lol
    TTC history in spoiler
    Baby G born June 2017

• @manillabar Yeah he wants to wait until we're close to out of first tri to be safe . I've already told my mom (that was not up for discussion!), but I think he's going to have to get used to the idea that his parents will know in the first tri, too, and that's ok! I can't possibly think up an excuse good enough to not have have even one glass of wine over the course of a week... sudden severe allergy to alcohol??
    Married August 2016
    TTC #1 September 2016
    BFP 10/31/16
    EDD 7/16/17
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Pepper16 yeah she's totally gonna guess right away! I know he wants to be safe but another way to look at it is if God forbid something went wrong (*knock on wood*) then at least he could have them for support, too.
    TTC history in spoiler
    Baby G born June 2017

• @manillabar Couldn't have said it better myself - I 1000% agree! 
    Married August 2016
    TTC #1 September 2016
    BFP 10/31/16
    EDD 7/16/17
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah, so the plan is changing...because I REALLY want to tell my sister and my parents. We're going to tell immediate family at Thanksgiving, which will be after the first US. I think I'm still going to get them the t-shirts for Christmas. Now I need to figure out a cute way to announce to them on Thanksgiving Day. And we're telling DH's dad's side of the family in December. And announcing to the world/FB after Christmas.
    TTC #1: Mirena removed 5/26/2015; DH - normal SA, me - diagnosed with PCOS 8/4/2016 - on Metformin; BFP - 10/29/2016!!!, EDD - 7/8/2017; DD born 6/29/2017
  • I think I'm going to go ahead and start telling people at work so I can start wearing maternity clothes (mostly I just want to wear leggings). So I'll tell the people I'm close to and see every day, and I'll let everyone else wonder if they happen to notice my clothes. I live in a different city from family, so I don't have to worry about the news travelling.
  • TBH, we had a loss at 8 weeks this summer and I didn't regret telling my friends (and in fact, wound up telling a lot more people about the loss), but telling my parents was really upsetting and awful (I made DH do it). So I think the plan this time is to start telling close friends soon, tell my SIL and her husband in person when they visit in 2 weeks and wait til after the 8 week appointment to tell parents. My mom is coming for Christmas and if I can hold out til then (I'll be just shy of 11 weeks), I'd love to tell her in person - I was thinks of getting stockings for all of us and a tiny one for the baby!!! Social media will be after 14 weeks.
    TTC #1: 4/16
    BFP #1: 5/16
    MMC at 8 weeks: 6/16
    BFP #2: 10/16 
    Sweet baby boy arrived 7/7/17!
  • I couldn't wait (well..more like my DH couldn't wait!) Our families new we were trying. 

I told my sister and my brother the day I found out. 

The day after I sent my dad a picture of a shirt that said Coolest Brother and asked him what I thought of the new shirt I got my son. He called me immediately  :) 

DH told his parents that day as well. I wanted to wait on telling my DS, but DH wouldn't hear of it. DS is 4 1/2 which means now everybody knows. I picked him up from daycare today and they all asked me! 

I was hoping to wait a little bit to tell everybody but our families, but that didn't happen.

I'm headed to FL on Friday for a conference with my boss. She will definitely be questioning why I am not drinking. I have a feeling she will know next week. 
  • My MIL is coming next week and she'll probably figure it out.  So once we have our first couple appointments  (confirmation of pregnancy and dating US ) I won't  have a problem telling our parents .   That's what we did with our daughter .   As for the FB announcement we'll announce close to Christmas .   I found this ornament on Etsy of a snowman family and the mom is pregnant so I kind of want to do that.

I told my boss already as I'm still on maternity leave  (go back on December  1st) and she just loves babies.  But none of my colleagues will find out until I go back to work . 
  • I have told a couple of my best friends but we won't tell family for Christmas. So I guess here's to hoping I can hide a bump until then
  • I told my bestie, partner, sister and mom today (in that order) immediately upon finding out. After that, though, I think I'm going to wait until Thanksgiving to tell family, or maybe Christmas. I don't feel like having everyone know. My last time was really rough, and a lot of my family, for better or worse, is going to be on the watch out for any sign that I'm having a hard time. My mom already started with comments before she had known for an hour, so I probably should have held off in that regards lol.  

@manillabar My partner called his parents after we mailed them a valentine's day card. It didn't feel impersonal, but that was us. I was there, even though I wasn't on the phone (I didn't really want to be). Oh also I was so close to mailing out our announcements, but I totally over thought it and chickened out at the last moment. We just posted on Facebook and called it good. I think my MIL took charge over informing her side of the family, which was fine by us.

@Glitterfish sounds like your mom would get along nicely with my dad, he's so ashamed that I'm not a stick.

@kghusker1003 my MIL ended up being my sanity lifeline with some drama that went into my baby shower and my family members. Hooray for awesome MILs!

• How quickly are you announcing to work (specifically your boss)? I'm a little worried because I've already had a few early morning appointments and anticipate a lot more.
  • @lfk2013 I told mine right away for the purposes of all the appointments. Also because if I do get morning sickness/vomiting she will know why I am missing from my work station.
  • I told my boss yesterday. We are going on a business trip this weekend and will be gone all of next week. She would've figured out something was up when I couldn't drink with her.  Definitely went better than I expected. Although she did comment that I could only take a week off
  • Dont you think its way to early to annouce it ?? lot can still happen before the 1st trimester  is over...
  • Different strokes for different folks, @captainfay:)
  • Cynth0104 said:
    I told my boss yesterday. We are going on a business trip this weekend and will be gone all of next week. She would've figured out something was up when I couldn't drink with her.  Definitely went better than I expected. Although she did comment that I could only take a week off
    Like after the baby is born??? 1 week?
    EDD: 13/07/2017
    PAIF/PgAL
  • I've told the people that I would want as my tribe if something were to happen.  I like have the support of others when I go through something tough.  Also, I work with a very close-knit group so they would know something was up when I stopped drinking =)
    Met: 1/21/2005
    Married: 6/27/2008
    DS: 3/14/2010 Planned, PG first try
    M/C 6/2012
    DD: 4/22/2013 Planned, UnDx Infertility, PG on our own
    BFP: 10/28/2016 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE! 
    M/C 12/12/2016
    BFP: 10/27/2017 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE
    EDD: 7/2/2018

Babysizer Manly Pregnancy Tracker
  • I'm not telling anyone, outside of my BFF, until I get confirmation at the doctor. It may sound bad, but I don't want to get my hopes up just yet.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker
  • We're waiting for Xmas to tell family. Most of my work already knows though, ha. We've had multiple miscarriages, and high risk for late term loss so we're not anxious to get the news out to family, but with weekly dr visits (or 3 next week), I couldn't come up with enough excuses for work. 

I really dont want to announce on FB either! For my wedding I never announced and it made it so much more amazing and special to know that only a few of us knew. However there are a few expecting really close to my due date and I would like to be able to share with them milestones/frustrations, etc. 
  • Not sure what our plans are yet but we have some ideas that we're tossing around.

For DH's parents: We are thinking of showing up at their church on a Sunday. It wouldn't be a huge shock since if we're in town on a Sunday we will usually go to their church. They will ask us afterwards why were there / in town and we would tell them.

For my parents: We were thinking a picture of the first ultrasound / sonogram in a frame and wrapped as a Christmas gift.

For friends: Depends on the friend. Some will be in person, some will be phone calls and others will be a text.

Facebook: I'd like to say I am not going to be posting on Facebook (after parents find out) but.......
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• @captainfay, my job requires I lift 50+ lb objects and push and pull 300+ lbs at a time.  Should I have waited until first trimester was over to let them know I am pregnant?  Because I told I manager the night I found out and he was over the moon thrilled for me, and if anything were to happen I would have to tell him anyways due to the above mentioned job requirements.
  • @Jsweet yes. She was kidding though. She just needs to figure out what she is going to do when I am out.  The other person on our team isn't the greatest and they rely on me a lot
  • I'm waiting to tell everyone. My sister and a few girls at work know other than DH. I want to do something for Christmas for my mom, I saw a You're going to be a Grandma again! on a onsie. 
    As far as the announcement goes I think I'm going to do a "tie breaker" or "big big sister and big brother finally" shirts.

What's super fun is my sister is 7 weeks due June 26, we get to be pg together again!
  • Hi everyone! DH and I are going to wait a bit. We had a loss this summer and DH is much more apprehensive about telling people. After first appt. I will probably tell my mom and sister, and then rest of close friends/family after 12 weeks. As far as the rest (work/fb, etc.) probably as late as I can wait (my job isn't exactly super supportive of prego ladies unfortunately) soooo excited!

Anyone have any cute ides yet? I would love to think of a cute way to tell my and DH's parents

BabyFruit Ticker

[spoiler]

Me: 28  Him: 30

Married: 11/15/14

TTC: 02/2016

IF DX: MFI (low count & morphology) & mild PCOS

June 2016 BFP - MC @8w2d

August 2016 BFP - MC @6w1d

June 2017 - 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI = BFP 7/6/17!!

Beta #1 = 422 (14dpo), Beta #2 = 810, prog - 12.3 (16dpo), Beta #3 = 5023, prog - 18.9 (20dpo)

[/spoiler]

• RubyRedPirateRubyRedPirate member
    edited November 2016
    I've had 2 losses and have been going to an RE so my family knows everything is going on. I talk to my family at least every other day since they live 700 miles away. They know what meds I'm on, my test results when trying to figure out why i have had multiple losses. As soon as I found out this time around I called my mom on the way to do my betas. She called EVERYONE she knew so the news was out without my control. That's fine with me because it I have another loss, then I have a lot of support around me. My parents are in going to be in town for thanksgiving and my first ultrasound is the day after so I'm so excited they will be here.

I told my work the day I found out because of my profession. I cant hide it because I cant be around radiation or anesthesia without precautions. 
    ME: 28 DH: 27
    Started Dating: 10/20/2006
     Married: 10/20/2013
    MMC @ 8w 12/15
    MC @ 5w 03/16
    ALEXANDER JAMES DUE JULY 15th!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm paranoid so we will wait to tell anyone until out of first trimester, probably closer to when we find out the sex of the baby. My DH parents reacted weird with the news about our first, so I'm not looking forward to this. They had no reason to be so blah about it, but it ruined it for my poor husband who thought 'tears of joy and hugs of congratulations' would be shared by all. Since this is my second pregnancy, I might show sooner, so might be hard to hide??? Idk. We shall see!!! 
  • DH really wants to wait to tell anybody because he's still in shock and worried.  This pregnancy is high risk for a few reasons and he doesn't want to have to share sad news.  In fact, he made the comment that we could just tell everybody from the hospital in July lol!  As if we'll be able to hide me until then or keep DD from spilling the beans.  

I did tell my mom this weekend because we were together.  She brought wine and I didn't feel like fake drinking.

I also told my supervisor this morning.  With our history of losses I wanted her to be aware.  But she won't share it any farther until I give the OK.

Age 35, H 34

Married 5/09

Pregnancy #1, IUI, MMC, D&C Feb 2012

Pregnancy #2,IUI, MMC, D&C July 2012

Pregnancy #3 IUI, BFP 10/25/12 - Two heartbeats on the U/S!

Twin Girls! C (6/24/13) and E (6/24/13-5/20/15)

Surprise BFP! 10/23/16, EDD 7/2/17

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're showing up on Thanksgiving with our 14 Month old wearing a big brother shirt.  They'll figure it out.