March 2017 Moms
Options

Names!

Re: Names!

• Options
    We've settled on the name Ansley (pronounced Ann-sley) for out little one.  

• Options

I think we may have a winner for a girl's name! Emilia Farol

Farol is Portuguese for "lighthouse". It was part of the name of a hotel we stayed at. We frankly, fell in love with the country, and if we weren't lucky enough to have family ties here, we'd move in a heartbeat. It was also our last adventure before TTC. So we were looking at a middle name that could commemorate our time there - I think this might be a good fit! 

DH: 29
    Me: 27
    Married 9/20/14 
    BFP: 7/3/16
    EDD: 3/13/17

BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @korpisar This is back to Max, but I was building a visualizaiton of names from the past 16 years just to check out trends,and I noticed Maxton as a name popping up. It might be one to go trendy, but thought it was something different for the nn Max.
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • Options
    Now that we know it's a girl we are between three names - Kelly, Emily and Lily. The problem with Lily is that DH likes Lillian but I like Liliana. Luckily we still have some time!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so jealous of all of you that have names picked already. My DH and I have known ever since we were dating that we were really going to struggle and we really are. He has a very common name so he wants our daughter to have a rare name and I have a name with a younique spelling so I want a classic name. We rarely talk about it and when we do it ends really fast and in a stalemate :( It makes me sad that we can't call her by a name, although callling her she is a nice improvement over it. Is anyone else having this problem? How did you make any progress?

Me 28 DH 28 Married 2012

TTC #1 since March 2015

Metformin + Femara + Gonal F + Trigger = BFP 6/24/16 

EDD 3/3/17

Found out it's a girl! 9/23/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Gators&BoSox That is a really good idea. Maybe that will give us a place to start because we wouldn't have to keep rejecting each other's names in person which I can tell makes us both defensive.

Me 28 DH 28 Married 2012

TTC #1 since March 2015

EDD 3/3/17

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kap1988 We didn't name my girl until i met her in the hospital! The name battles are hard, but try not to feel too rushed or stressed ;) a name you both love will come around! Just keep trying to broach the topic and find middle ground -  I just started trying baby names I loved when I talked to her or about her... practicing talking about her room or mentioning when I felt her kick ;) making up nicknames I liked... mostly ended up calling her my little "Bear" , or things like that made me bond even though we hadn't officially named her.   it was that that made DH keep my name choice instead of his cuz it fit well in our day to day conversations when I talked about our "Nora Bear" 
  • Options
    For anyone who wants to check it out, I made an interactive viz here using some name data someone put together from the last 100 years or so. There are 3 tabs - the first one is for if you know of a first initial you like, you can push that initial, then pick boy or girl and see a list of names and how many times it was used for the year that's listed.
    The 2nd tab I'm using for comparing the names we're considering... you can choose them in the filter in the top right, and then see how they're trending over the past 15 years or so. If you click on a data point for a name in a certain year, you can see how it was used through the US by state (for some reason looks like you have to click a state and then click again to see the map better)
    3rd tab, click a state to see the names for that year/state broken down by sex.
    In any instance click a point you clicked initially to reset things.
    It's not super pretty or anything, I just wanted an easier way to quickly look at names to see what else I can blindside my husband with. :)
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • Options
    kap1988kap1988 member
    edited October 2016
    @kjd291 It's good to hear that someone else had the same problem and their child is not still nameless lol Thanks for the perspective! P.S. Nora is one of my favorite names! Is your Nora an Eleanor? If I convinced DH, I don't know if I would do just Nora or make it short for something.

Me 28 DH 28 Married 2012

TTC #1 since March 2015

EDD 3/3/17

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kap1988 we decided to go with just Nora, since we didn't think we'd ever call her Eleanor/Eleanor or Ellie. 

That's a whole other battle in and of itself.  Haha!  Having it here too! Right now we like Catherine a lot because of "Kate" and we can't decide if we just name her "Kate" or stick with the longer name even if we don't use it.  Kinda like the Max vs. Maxwell convo earlier.  

A big part that made the decision last time was middle name (balancing syllables) -- And probably will play a part this time.  I personally don't like many syllable names for both first and middle, or only one syllable for each either.  So we like Catherine Rose-but I wouldn't do Kate Rose, so we'd have to come up with another middle name if we kept it Kate. 
  • Options
    @kap1988 we're in the same boat, my husband and I can't agree on a name we both love. I tried convincing him to do the babyname app to no avail...he did agree to come up with a list of 10 names he liked though, so we both did that and we've started to narrow down our choices together from there. We're probably gonna edit our list quite a bit before March but least we have some time to decide!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @serenity13 I'm glad your husband is starting to work with you on it.  That was part of our problem, he wouldn't even take it seriously.  We actually ended up having a big fight about it last night because I started to panic that we haven't even really started trying.  (It may have been a hormone fueled panic lol) But by the end he at least realized it's time to get down to business and he agreed to look for some that he likes and started looking through Nameberry.

@kjd291 I love Catherine/Kate and the middle name Rose.  You guys have good taste!

Me 28 DH 28 Married 2012

TTC #1 since March 2015

EDD 3/3/17

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kjd291 as a Kathryn who goes by Kate I personally like having a more 'formal' name. I don't use it often aside from legal stuff and in University that is what everyone called me. Just my two cents from a stranger ;)
  • Options
    I am in the opposite boat where my full name is a shortened name. As you can probably tell, my name is Jenny (that's my legal full name) and I am forever being called a Jennifer. And I'm named actually for my grandmother's nickname. Her name was Maria Giovanna, nicknamed Jenny. Every new job I have ever had, they set up my name as Jennifer in the email system, then I have to ask them to change it. But some names now, like Nora, are becoming full names in their own right. Jenny sadly for me, never made it that camp, haha. 
  • Options
    Thanks @KateM !
    & @jenny0228 @kap1988 it's funny how our parents name choice for us effects the "rules" me make for naming our kids! Classic, vs unique, shortened vs long.  I have a unique spelling of my name (also to honor a grandmother)-so one of my main requests to DH is we only pick names that the spelling is the common sense one. I've hated growing up with no one ever spelling it right, and even close family and friends still write it wrong.  I stopped correcting people years ago though and just deal - especially now that I'm married and my last name is also unspellible/pronounceable I don't want my kids to have the same name issues as me!
  • Options
    Names are so hard for us this time around!! We have an Emilia, and baby #2 is another girl. I recently discovered the name Elowyn and really like it. We aren't totally sold on having another E name but we are leaning towards it. If you have any other cute girl E names, send them my way! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @aggiejenn37 I love Elowyn!! So beautiful. Other E names:

Evangeline
    Eleanor 
    Elizabeth
    Eloise
    Estelle
    Evelyn
  • Options
    @kjd291 We must have the same taste in names because if we didn't decide on Sarah for DD's name she would have been Catherine. I almost picked that as a middle name. We didn't go with it because we really like Catherine but not any of the nn's and our last name starts with C and alliterative names are just NMS. If this LO comes out a girl she will probably be called Eleanor, nn Norah. DH wants to call her Ellie but I think that's too popular. I really like Norah but it's too matchy with Sarah but if her given name is Eleanor it's easier to swallow, no? I also love Hannah but I'm vetoing my own pick because again, too close to Sarah. But Eleanor Hannah is something we're considering.

@jenny0228 I knew a girl in high school whose given name was Jenny and she had the same complaint. People have done this all the time (Hank, Harry, Liam, Jon, Sadie, Lucy, etc.) but sadly, Jenny doesn't seem to have caught on.

@aggiejenn37 Emilia is pretty and reminds of Game of Thrones. Elowyn is also pretty and melodic, sounds Welsh? I think in the same E family would be Elodie, Eloise, Esme, Elwyn, Emmanuelle, Evangeline, Edie, Elspeth, etc. My only reserve on Elowyn, or Elodie for that matter, is it sounds like initials when yelled out on a playground. But that's probably not enough of a downfall to not pick that name.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    aggiejenn37aggiejenn37 member
    edited October 2016
    @Gators&BoSox @Phil413 thanks for the feedback! Such beautiful E names you both listed! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Phil413 clearly you have good taste ;)

Yes! Makes sense to me--second DD naming has been a little harder than I thought it would be from having to think about how the names go together.  I also had to ignore some names I liked because I didn't want anything too matchy with Nora.  
  • Options
    We are having such a hard time coming up with a boy name. Our other son is Evan. We are tossing around Connor, Collin (debating between one L or two) or Donovan. Middle name will be James. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @clarereedy of your options I like Connor simply because the other two rhyme with Evan. (If that doesn't bother you than ignore me lol) 
    If you are open to suggestions:
    Caleb
    Carter
    Cody
    Jacob
    Dominic
    Damien
    Chase

• Options
    kiyamurphkiyamurph member
    edited October 2016
    jenny0228 said:
    I am in the opposite boat where my full name is a shortened name. As you can probably tell, my name is Jenny (that's my legal full name) and I am forever being called a Jennifer. And I'm named actually for my grandmother's nickname. Her name was Maria Giovanna, nicknamed Jenny. Every new job I have ever had, they set up my name as Jennifer in the email system, then I have to ask them to change it. But some names now, like Nora, are becoming full names in their own right. Jenny sadly for me, never made it that camp, haha. 
    That must've been frustrating! My dad used to be a high school principal and so of course he always came across some different names. I'll never forget when there was a student who used to assist my dad during the student's free period and his name was E.H. It literally didn't stand for anything. Just E.H. My heart went out to that poor kid. 
  • Options
    I'm leaning towards Connor too! Collin doesn't. Other me as much as Donovan with the rhyming. I think the -van would bug me. I do like Caleb but my husband shot that down. And chase is cute but I can't get past the puppy on the paw patrol being named chase. Lol!!! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We are leaning towards Emily. But I had no idea it was in the top 10 and has been for so long. I'm really not one to not pick a name because of popularity.. but I also don't want her to be one of 5 with the same name in her class.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • Options
    @jenny0228 my los name is Harrison without any nicknames (I mean he's only one lol) I figure we can cross that bridge when he gets older for now I want him to get used to his name first. Harrison Stanley def rolls off the tounge though!! 

Alright ladies so this is my first time posting my potential names.

Annabelle Jane (Jane was DHs favorite grandmother's name) or Annabelle Rae. (Rae is my middle name which is a family name)

I love DSs name and I want DD to have another not super popular but strong unique name do yall think Annabelle covers that?

I definitely like Ryleigh too but it feels so much lower on my mental list. Just to share all the names I love and DH does not -

Lydia, Elena, Scarlette, Amelia

• Options
    @vino831 we are name twins lol. I love Annabelle and I love that it comes with multiple nick names. Annabelle jane flows nicely and Annabelle would have been on our list if it wasn't the name of my dad's dog!  :D  Riley was my #1 for a while but I fell out of love with it when it started getting so popular and I began to think I would want little girl to have a more formal name for things like resumes. Our baby will be named Scarlett Irene :)
  • Options
    @Gators&amp;BoSox Aw thats a super sweet name. They flow so well together. 

I just love the name Scarlett  (and have NO IDEA why DH was so opposed lol) Irene is also unique but classic. Had to look it up - Irene: goddess of peace. :-)

Funny you mention Scarlett on a resume - if I saw that name I'd definitely think professional!
  • Options
    kiyamurphkiyamurph member
    edited October 2016
    @vino831 I think Annabelle's a great name and I'd pick that any day over Ryleigh. Riley is SO popular, and in my humble opinion, spelling it the way you mentioned looks like one is trying too hard. Plus, Riley to me doesn't translate to a grown woman's name. The name makes me think of a 5 year old. Annabelle Jane can grow with her and she more than likely won't be 1 of many Annabelle's in her school. 
  • Options
    serenity13serenity13 member
    edited October 2016
    @lindsey61811 I LOVE the name Emily! It's always been my #1 favorite since my early teens... When it became one of the most popular names several years ago I remember thinking "noooo that was supposed to be MY name!" (I wanted to spell it Emileigh though) ...it didn't even make the list of potential girl names DH & I discussed because I just can't bring myself to pick a super popular name, even though I still love it so much.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @vino831 I think Annabelle Jane is a beautiful choice! Nickname potential, works well as she grows, not too popular but not also sounds classic.  Plus pairs well with Harrison!
  • Options
    I'm stuck on names. I knew we should not have shared the gender with family because everyone (mostly inlaws) have no shame in being rude and shutting down all my favorite girl names. I seriously almost wanted to walk out of my mother in law's house when she grimaced when DH told her Chloé was my favorite girl name. And my BIL and his wife just laughed and made fun of our name choices right in front of us. My MIL suggested Katherine instead and my Grandfather-in-law suggested Hillary. I don't like either of those names but I was polite when I told them that I don't picture my daughter with those names. Our first DD is named Zoey Nicole and I wanted our second daughter to be Chloé Marie or Chloé Chanel. Our last name is Carrillo. I was thinking of a name beginning with a K or a C. I like the idea of a K name because we could call her KC for short. I just feel like I am going back to the drawing board because I care too much about what other people think. It's my biggest problem I've had my entire life. Any name suggestions would be appreciated. 
  • Options
    @loveyoga7 you and DH should choose whatever name you two love and don't let others sway you. That being said I do find Chloe to be a bit rhymey with Zoey but again my opinion doesn't really matter. Some other names for you just in case:
    Kayla
    Kiera
    Kierstyn
    Camille
    Callie
    Cambrie
    Clementine
    Cassidy
    Colette
    Coralie
    Cordelia

Good Luck and no matter what her name is I'm sure once she is here everyone will fall in love with her :)
  • Options
    @loveyoga7 I'm so sorry you went through that. I don't think people realize just how much they're being jerks when it comes to things like this. People feel like they have a right to an opinion on what you name your kid and it's annoying. I don't have any suggestions for you, all I have to say is from this point on I highly recommend keeping whatever names you and your husband choose between yourselves. It'll save you both a lot of heartache and annoyance. Once the baby's here, people's opinions on names tend be different. My mom originally hated the fact that I wanted to name my son Oliver, but after he was born she thought it was perfect. This time around, my husband and I aren't saying a peep about any names we might choose. We don't need opinions from the peanut gallery. 
  • Options
    Thank you @Gators&amp;BoSox 

Cambrie sounds pretty. Thank you for the name suggestions. I'll run a few of these by DH. Cambrie just may be a new front runner.
  • Options
    @loveyoga7 I'm so sorry mama! I also have the exact same "care way too much about what other people think" problem with life. The only way to avoid it for me last time around was to keep our name choices secret till she was born.  Doing it again this time.  I'd definitely reccomend it for you too from now on. People are annoyingly incapable of keeping their opinions to themselves--but when you announce a name after she's here--they are forced to just say "congratulations, she's beautiful" and keep any other thoughts to themselves!!!
  • Options
    @loveyoga7 I think it's pretty also... it's a nickname for Cambria too if that matters to you
  • Options
    @loveyoga7 Im sorry you recwived those reactions. when I casually mentioned in front of family MONTHS ago "if it's a girl i kinda like annabelle" My SIL vocally grimaced and my own brother said out loud "wow. Are you kidding? that's a terrible name!!"

You HAVE to ignore everyone else. When your lo is born YOU decide the name that you love, that fits your family and that goes on that birth certificate. 

Now that I know it's a girl and we've pmuch decided on Annabelle I'm not saying another word to anyone in my family. It's my daughters name not theirs. And tbh their comments will be non existent once lo is here. And IF somehow they are awful enough to make comments after lo is here then it will be easy to call them out and ask them to very nicely stfu.