Re: Super Awesome Honest Giant Baby Names Thread

• Options
    LGW2015LGW2015 member
    edited September 2016
    Yay!! I wanted to name our LO Luca! @books&icecream
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @books&icecream
    Yay, so happy y'all have a name - and I love it!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My H has one name that he loves & keeps going back to - Leilani. I'm not a fan of the "ni" ending but suggested possibly Leilana. So her name would be Leilana Kay. I've been rolling it around the last few days and I keep going back & forth. Thoughts?
  • Options
    Pretty, @kaessi! I like both Leilana and Leilani. 
  • Options
    @Kaessi Leilana Kay is beautiful! My husband's family is from Hawaii and we use Hawaiian middle names, per his family tradition. This baby's name is Willow, but we haven't picked a middle name yet and DH's parents are really pushing for Leilani.  :) Are you familiar with the name's meaning? "Lani" means "sky or heaven", so changing it to "lana" may affect the meaning of the name (if that's important to you.) Either way it's a beautiful name. 
  • Options
    @Kaessi I like Leilana!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @ecpdvm I like Evander. I've heard of it once before. A hockey player. He's kind of a jerk player but I still like the name. Don't like Evan or Luke. 
  • Options
    @kmolleltz I have a friend named Ezekiel and everyone just calls him Eze. Easy.
  • Options
    I'm happy this thread is back because DH and I are at a total crossroads when it comes to naming our second baby girl.  Our DD's name is Madeleine for context and her nn is Maddie.  DH likes longer names with cute, short nicknames.  We also both tend to like names that start with E, have a french origin or something in that vein.  We have mostly settled on a middle name of Grace, after DH's deceased grandmother.  Our last name begins with a B.  Here is the relative short like we are playing with now, but we are open to other options as well:

Emmeline Grace (nn Emme)
    Eloise Grace (nn Ellie)
    Sybil Grace (nn Sibby)
    Emilia Grace (nn Emme)
    Autumn Grace (nn Auttie? not sure on this one)

Also, we both love the name Ellie, but feel it sounds more like a nn and needs a formal name attached to it.  I don't know, we are overthinking it and it is killing me.  With 5 weeks and change to go, I just want this figured out.  I think my husband is fine making a decision at the hospital and I am not lol.  Any and all thoughts welcome!
    Me (35) & DH (35)
    Married: August 2009
    DD #1 born 6/12/14
    DD #2 born 10/31/16
    BFP 7/26/18 - EDD 4/6/19
  • Options
    @socks2819 I wouldn't nickname Autumn, or Eloise really. I love the name Eloise. Ellie can be short for Eleanor if you wanted to use Ellie. 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Options
    @socks2819 I am partial to Eloise, out of your choices. I think it pairs well with Madeleine, Grace follows it well, and I think a simple Elle is a cute nickname as opposed to Ellie. It also keeps the French sound going.
    I agree with @ibabyloveb87 about Autumn, I wouldn't nickname it if you choose that name.
    I personally don't care much for the other names, but hey, not my baby right? ;)
  • Options
    Thanks @ibabyloveb87 and @AllyTheKid I agree with not nicknaming Autumn, I love that name as is.  My husband wants to name the baby Autumn if she has red hair because he is a redhead too.  I appreciate the feedback.  I love Eloise too.  Not too much a fan of Eleanor.
    Me (35) & DH (35)
    DD #1 born 6/12/14
    DD #2 born 10/31/16
    BFP 7/26/18 - EDD 4/6/19
  • Options
    @socks2819 I LOVE the name Autumn!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Autumn was in our top choices in the beginning. I still love it but want a name that can have a nn
    ~Erin~ 
    proud pagan 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @NoraAurora that was my first thought too
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks @NoraAurora and I agree @aesthyerin That is our hesitation with it as well
    Me (35) & DH (35)
    DD #1 born 6/12/14
    DD #2 born 10/31/16
    BFP 7/26/18 - EDD 4/6/19
  • Options
    @NoraAurora Evander Holyfield was my first thought as well, so I associate the name with boxing.

Ugh.  I thought we had settled in a name months ago - Peregrine.  But no w my husband, who suggested the name in the first place, isn't sure about it.  He's afraid people won't be able to pronounce it.  So now we're back to three choices: Gideon, Sebastian and Peregrine.  My favorite is Gideon, but husband doesn't like it because it doesn't have a nickname.  He has the same problem with Sebastian.  This baby is going to be here in two weeks and he's going to be nameless.
  • Options
    We have a few name but having a really hard time narrowing it down and with middle names so...... One name we have is Reed. My grandfathers name was Robert. Do you think Reed Robert is to many Rs? Also we have a nephew named Kane but I love the name Lane. DH thinks they are to close, what's everyone's opinion on that? Does it even matter? 
  • Options
    Re: Evander

My brain went straight to Ollivander's Wand Shop from Harry Potter... then definitely Evander Holyfield... then to Vin Diesel's character from XXX, Xander. 

@Rachandcorey - For me, Reed Robert is too many Rs. But I like Lane and I personally wouldn't care about it being similar to a nephew's name, but that's just me. 

@ignoscemihi - Do you pronounce Peregrine as pair-a-grin? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about people mispronouncing it. I honestly don't know how else you'd pronounce it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @ignoscemihi A cute nickname for Sebastian is Bash. 
  • Options
    @Rachandcorey - I like Reid but spelled "Reid" and not the plant, "Reed." "Reedy" is an adjective for a 'high, thin voice.' Just not real masculine IMHO.

@NoraAurora Evander Holyfield was my first thought as well, so I associate the name with boxing.

Ugh.  I thought we had settled in a name months ago - Peregrine.  But no w my husband, who suggested the name in the first place, isn't sure about it.  He's afraid people won't be able to pronounce it.  So now we're back to three choices: Gideon, Sebastian and Peregrine.  My favorite is Gideon, but husband doesn't like it because it doesn't have a nickname.  He has the same problem with Sebastian.  This baby is going to be here in two weeks and he's going to be nameless.

I also like Peregrine, especially for the nn "Pip" but mostly because I'm an LoTR nerd. However what about "G" as a nn for Gideon? PS I really like Gideon too. Actually I like all 3.

• Options
    @CopperBoom86 Gah wish I had come up with Olivander for our baby!  ;)
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Options
    ball4768 said:
    @Kaessi Leilana Kay is beautiful! My husband's family is from Hawaii and we use Hawaiian middle names, per his family tradition. This baby's name is Willow, but we haven't picked a middle name yet and DH's parents are really pushing for Leilani.  :) Are you familiar with the name's meaning? "Lani" means "sky or heaven", so changing it to "lana" may affect the meaning of the name (if that's important to you.) Either way it's a beautiful name.

@ball4768 I love Willow! It was also a top pick of mine, but I haven't been able to persuade my H. Lana in Hawaiian means "calm" or calm waters" so I'm kind of okay with that too. And although he would like a Hawaiian name, I think if we both like it, it doesn't necessarily have to be Hawaiian. I'm fond of names ending in "ana".  Here's my list as of today (that could change at any moment!):

Leilana Kay  (NN: Leila)
    Milana Kay   (NN: Millie)
    Milliana Kay  (NN:Millie)
    Viviana Kay  (NN:Viv or Vivi)
    Lilliana Kay  (NN: Lily)
    Elliana Kay  (NN: Ellie)

I welcome thoughts :)

• Options
    @CopperBoom86 he's afraid people will pronounce it as Para-green.  @ball4768 I like Bash, but my husband says he's never heard it used.  It sounds a little like the lead character from Trigun (Vash the Stampede), so I think I can convince him it'll work.

@NoraAurora my husband got it from Lord of the Rings.  I'm a fan of Pip as a nickname too.  So cute, especially for a toddler.

Gideon was my first favorite, so we'll probably end up going with that.  I just feel bad because with our first, we spent months narrowing down our list and I ended up just declaring my top choice as the name.  My husband still resents that a little 2 1/2 years later, so I don't want to do it again.
  • Options
    @socks2819 my friend's daughter is Ellie short for Elliette. It's pretty!
  • Options
    @ignoscemihi I definitely would have said Pair-a-green...
    Also the German nickname for Sebastian is Basti, pronounced like baschti, which I really like for a kid (Sebastian was one of my top choices). Although I like Bash! 
    DS#1 born 05 October 2016
    DS#2  due 25 April 2019
  • Options
    @ignoscemihi I have a friend from Columbia named named Sebastian, and he goes by "Sabi" for a nickname. We had a German exchange student named Sebastian and like @books&icecream said, he went by "Basti". FI has a cousin named Sebastian, and we just call him "Bastian". Not much shorter, but that's the only American version of a nn I've heard. Tricky little name...
  • Options
    @ignoscemihi I know this may not be helpful since I will reference a dog vs. a human, but take it with a grain of salt.  My brother's dog's name is Sebastian and they call him Sebs which I always thought was very cute.

@ecpdvm  Elliette is beautiful!  I've never heard of it.  Off to stalk nameberry... Thanks!
    Me (35) & DH (35)
    DD #1 born 6/12/14
    DD #2 born 10/31/16
    BFP 7/26/18 - EDD 4/6/19
  • Options
    @ignoscemihi I used to work with a Sebastian and we called him "Seb". 
  • Options
    Thanks guys!  I'll bring all the nickname suggestions to my husband and see if that's really why he doesn't like the name or if he was just using it as an excuse.
  • Options
    @socks2819 my cousin has an Ellison nn Ellie.
  • Options
    @SuperNerd42 I love Cecilia and would use for our girl if my husband liked.  I think Penelope sounds better with the middle name you've selected.  Poppy is also a cute nickname for it.  Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback!

• Options
    @ignoscemihi I know I'm a few days late here, but friends of ours have a LO named Gideon, and they call him Gid or Gidders (he's 2 right now, so I'm sure he'd grow out of Gidders lol) and sometimes Baby G (dad's name is Grant), but you can do nicknames with it. 
     Countdown to Baby H!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mommy to Elizabeth (6/18/09), preemie at 34 weeks
    Wife to Dan (10/4/14), together since Dec 2010
    Anniversary 
    Working Mom
    BFP Feb 2016, Due Mid-October
    Team Blue!
  • Options
    Our top names are both in the top 10 for 2016, Amelia and Olivia. I don't love that, but DH and I are so far apart on names we like, it seems impossible to find many options. Anyone have thoughts on choosing a top 10 name? Do you have one? Does it bother you? 

• Options
    @ByeBabyBunting We had two top ten names on our list for a long time (Olivia and Emma) and just recently axed them because we liked others better, not because they were top ten. Olivia and Amelia are so beautiful and classic that even though they are currently popular they aren't going to come across as trendy. Yes, they might have other classmates or coworkers with their names, but its really not a big deal when you stop and think about it. 

I vote roll with it if they are the names you both love :)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    i love the name amelia 
  • Options
    @ByeBabyBunting Those are both great names! My husband had big concerns about popular names, but then I read that it actually doesn't work out to that many people. For example, about 17,000 people named their baby Emma in 2015, but there were almost 4 million babies born (so about 2 million girls). That is still a tiny percentage of people. I am not sure if that helps, but I felt better about popular names when I looked at it that way. 
  • Options
    ecpdvmecpdvm member
    edited October 2016
    @ByeBabyBunting This is one of my big objections to Luke. You can check out the percentages of babies with these names on the SSN website. A little over 1% of boys are named either Lucas or Luke, which is 1 in 100. That seems like a lot to me - in a class of 400, he'd be 1 of 4 Lukes! 

I've been trying to avoid the top 100 with my sons, but Lincoln immediately skyrocketed after my Lincoln was born (haha), and my husband and I can't agree on anything for this baby. Everyone ELSE seems to love Luke, and I'm current 38 + 2, so I doubt we're going to come up with a magical name we agree on before then. Kind of bummed about it, though.

Also, more on your topic I was just reading that Amelia is one of the most regretted names parents give their kids (FWIW): https://thestir.cafemom.com/pregnancy/200688/23_baby_names_parents_say/174884/amelia/2

Apparently they did some study that showed 1 in 5 parents have baby name regret.