October 2016 Moms
Options

Super Awesome Honest Giant Baby Names Thread

Re: Super Awesome Honest Giant Baby Names Thread

• Options
    Now that we know what we are having. We have 2 top names at this moment. It could definitely change though. My husband loves the name Aria. I don't have a middle name yet for Aria. Our other current top name is Emmalyn Rae. Rae is after my baby sister who passed away named Rachel.  
    So which do you like better? Aria or Emmalyn. Nickname would probably be Emmy. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @Piperella I love Liesel-- good suggestion. We're trying to find a name that is either Indian or sounds Indian (Husband is Indian), so it's been really hit or miss lately. Half the names I love are very European, and husband has nixed most of them. I also really love Annaliese. 

We had thought we found the perfect name-- Arya. It's Indian, but it's also European. We both really loved it. But then we found out that one of husband's cousins just had a baby and they named her Arya. I'm ready to just use it anyway. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Arya is a very popular character from Game of Thrones. Beautiful name, but know the implications if you choose it (or Aria, which sounds like it.)

• Options
    @RainMira9e Yeah, that was one of the reasons why we liked it. I was apprehensive about it, but I know quite a few Ariels who were born in the late 80s- early 90s and they seemed to turn out alright. :smile: 
  • Options
    @ammiddleton3 I love Emmalyn. I wanted to use it, but DD is Adalyn so too close
  • Options
    @minnemiska I LOVE Vivian Faye. Classic and beautiful. 
  • Options
    Arya is a very popular character from Game of Thrones. Beautiful name, but know the implications if you choose it (or Aria, which sounds like it.)
    +1, there are going to be about 100 thousand Arya/Aria/Ahreeyuh (j/k) littles running around the public school systems in a couple years. 
  • Options
    Please help me ladies! 
    We decided that our baby boy's name is Archer. I was dead set on naming him Archer Wilder but recently the DH has voiced his opinions about Wilder and they haven't been the nicest. Anyways, he's vetoing the middle name Wilder which makes me super sad
  • Options
    +1, there are going to be about 100 thousand Arya/Aria/Ahreeyuh (j/k) littles running around the public school systems in a couple years. 
    This is the main reason I'm not in love with the name. It's just getting sooo popular. I'm not against a popular name per se. Hubby and I are Michael and Ashley. Doesn't get much more vanilla than that! Lol
  • Options
    OMFG, NEVERMIND. Troy is out... -_- I quit. FI can name this baby by himself. I'll love him regardless of his middle name. I haven't named any of my other kids so it's not like it's new to me.
  • Options
    KaessiKaessi member
    @AllyTheKidI'm sorry you're having to go through all this! The last time DH and I tried to talk about names it ended with me in tears & him pissed off so we have just avoided the subject since then...pretty sure this child is going to be nameless. My H is also coming up with ridiculous names & then not understanding when I don't like them. And he has vetoed very single thing I have suggested. So...I feel ya! Fingers crossed for a resolution for both of us soon!
  • Options
    mothernorthmothernorth member
    edited June 2016
    @Kaessi I'm still waiting for that one "special name" to just materialize out of nowhere and the both of us agree instantaneously... I know, Fairy Tale haha I hope you guys have better luck in the name game! I never realized how ridiculous something like this could get.
  • Options
    I need opinions. Not that it is going to change the names of our girls - but does anyone think Cora and Carli are too similar sounding? Carli is the nickname, not the full name, but probably what I will want to call her. 
  • Options
    @AllyTheKid maybe you need to just stop thinking about it and talking about it for a while? Revisit when your minds are clear and fresh. Or maybe toss the first name and start from scratch? Seems like Cash keeps coming up- maybe that as the first name?
  • Options
    @sjo_thetwins I like that those names sound similar, but I like alliteration with sibling names even though I know some people don't  which leads me to say @kmvisioli I definitely want to keep the first name Johnny since my LO is Jimmy, but I am for sure taking a break from names for a while. 
  • Options
    I need opinions. Not that it is going to change the names of our girls - but does anyone think Cora and Carli are too similar sounding? Carli is the nickname, not the full name, but probably what I will want to call her. 
    I think it's completely fine... they're both great and great together!
  • Options
    @sjo_thetwins They do sound similar, but as they are twins, people are going to confuse them with each other even if they were named completely different-sounding names. Just be sure to enunciate so you don't scream yourself hoarse for one only to have her innocently say "Oh, I thought you were calling my sister." =)

As an aside, Cora is one of my very top names, although it is not the one we chose for this girl.

• Options
    @allythekid We had a very hard time with a middle name too. We took a break and then sat together and went alphabetically down a list of boy names until we found something we could both be happy with. It wouldn't be either of our first choices but it was a compromise we are both satisfied with. Good luck!
  • Options
    @sjo_thetwins I don't think they are too similar! They're close, but hardly a "Jim and Kim" scenario. My sister and I grew up with very alliterative names and it was never a problem. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Personally I *love* the name Aria (I prefer that spelling).  That is the name we would have chosen if baby was a girl, and I doubt I'll change my mind if we have a girl in the future.  I had a friend by that name in middle school and I just always thought it was such a beautiful name, unique without being weird.  And I don't mind its link with GoT ... Arya is a strong, self-confident, independent girl.  I kind of wish we were having a girl now just so I could use the name before it gets even more popular!

Having been born in 1987, it was very common for kids I grew up with to have "popular" names, and in fact it was seen as a good thing.  I like the idea of picking a name that's a little bit unique, but I also don't think it's the worst thing in the world to choose a name for your child that another child might happen to have.  What you name your child will have little to nothing to do with their personality, popularity, or accomplishments in life.  Just go with the name you like the most!
    Me (28) & DH (29)
    Married: May 2015
    BFP 1/24/16 EDD 10/4/16
    It's a boy!

• Options
    Personally I *love* the name Aria (I prefer that spelling).  That is the name we would have chosen if baby was a girl, and I doubt I'll change my mind if we have a girl in the future.  I had a friend by that name in middle school and I just always thought it was such a beautiful name, unique without being weird.  And I don't mind its link with GoT ... Arya is a strong, self-confident, independent girl.  I kind of wish we were having a girl now just so I could use the name before it gets even more popular!

Having been born in 1987, it was very common for kids I grew up with to have "popular" names, and in fact it was seen as a good thing.  I like the idea of picking a name that's a little bit unique, but I also don't think it's the worst thing in the world to choose a name for your child that another child might happen to have.  What you name your child will have little to nothing to do with their personality, popularity, or accomplishments in life.  Just go with the name you like the most!
    This is kind of where I stand on it. I don't mind having a popular name if it's a name I truly love! Like I said previously, my husband and I have very popular names for the time we were born. Michael, and Ashley. So it's not a deal breaker! I do like that Aria is unique, but not out there. I just can't decide on a name to save my life right now! :)
  • Options
    @kamroberts I actually prefer Archer Wyatt over Archer Wilder, because of the double -er ending.
  • Options
    Hazel Erin or Rylie Erin?  
  • Options
    I'm not totally 100% on either of these right now, but at the moment my top names are Vada James for a girl and August Pierce for a boy. I'm hoping I'll find out on the 14th what I'm having and can settle on a name. I'd love to be able to order something like @nataliemaephotography's wooden name sign. That is absolutely gorgeous!

• Options
    Ok, so. Back to the Sage conversation. We actually found out we are having a boy!! DH surprised me by still loving Sage on a boy. He wanted to spell it Saige but that just seems weird to me. Anyways, I feel like this is more of a girl name. He is looking at name lists but nothing is interesting him. I'm frustrated because I have a long list of boy names that i like but he keeps saying no to everything. What are your honest thoughts on Sage for a boy? MN would be Joseph or Martin (family names). Big brother is Rider Gordon.
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    @LizaKate1213 I literally only know ONE person named Sage, spelled that way, and he is male. I never thought of it as feminine. I think it has a neutral sound, leaning more masculine IMO simply because I've only ever known a man named Sage. I know he's a stranger to you and it isn't important, but he is an extremely interesting and intelligent individual, so I now correlate those traits to that name.
  • Options
    PS
    I like Sage Martin.
  • Options
    @LizaKate1213 Sage sounds feminine to me, primarily because of the plant/flower reference. Somehow I picture a sweet, African American girl. Though I don't know anyone with that name, so not really all that helpful. I do like both name combinations of Sage Joseph and Sage Martin. If you're undecided, you could always flip the names around - Martin Sage is totally masculine and flows well. Gives you the option of calling him Sage later.
    DS#1 born 05 October 2016
    DS#2  due 25 April 2019
  • Options
    I know a female named Sage, but in my opinion it can be an androgynous name. He might encounter people assuming he's a woman on email or on forms in the future, but who cares.
  • Options
    My husband really likes the name Marcelene (no idea on spelling) for a girl. I have never heard that name before. Thoughts?
  • Options
    My husband really likes the name Marcelene (no idea on spelling) for a girl. I have never heard that name before. Thoughts?
    I love it!! Never heard it before but I know a Marleena and a Marcella who not only have beautiful names but are also great people, so I may be biased ;)
    DS#1 born 05 October 2016
    DS#2  due 25 April 2019
  • Options
    LizaKate1213LizaKate1213 member
    edited June 2016
    Thank you @books&icecream and @AllyTheKid! I think part of my hang-up is that DH is native american, and DS has very long hair that we put back in a braid. EVERYBODY assumes he is a girl when they see him. He just laughs at them and politely corrects them now. I worry that a borderline girl-name combined with long hair on this baby will open him up to teasing and rude comments. 
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    I think Sage works fine for a boy, but the spelling with the i in it is more feminine.

@kathleenkat could it be the French name, Marcheline?

• Options
    I was just wondering, is Sage a Native American name? I think I would like it better for a boy if it represented his father's culture, that would be cool. Otherwise I would normally think of it as a girl's name.

@kathleenkat never heard of it but it sounds pretty!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kathleenkat I love that name! It's the vampire in the Adventure Time cartoon (which I love), and this was a name being thrown around in our name conversations too! I think it's beautiful. 
  • Options
    *not like it only belongs to that character or anything either, that cartoon was just the first time I heard the name
  • Options
    I have never seen adventure time but I think husband watches it. Maybe that's where he got the name. Could be French but I'm not sure of the spelling, I've definitely heard Marcella though, must be a variant of that.