February 2017 Moms

Weekly Randoms (8/29)

Re: Weekly Randoms (8/29)

• what the hell happened to the book club?

I READ THE BOOK. 
    Some just needs to start a thread for it! I'm very close to done. 
    I'm going to do it!
  • Loading the player...
  • True, but not all salt is iodized. Who knows what kind of salt these manufacturers use. 
    It's ok though.  I think that's why our docs always check our thyroid levels.  My thyroid levels were borderline in June.  The PA said my OB will recheck again later. So I think I'm ok.  

• AfKash said:
    True, but not all salt is iodized. Who knows what kind of salt these manufacturers use. 
    It's ok though.  I think that's why our docs always check our thyroid levels.  My thyroid levels were borderline in June.  The PA said my OB will recheck again later. So I think I'm ok.  
    I would guess that most manufactured food that has salt is using iodine. When I had to have radioactive iodine therapy a few years ago I had to go on an iodine free diet and it sucked because I had to avoid like everything. I was told to assume anything with the ingredient salt used iodine. 

On that topic though I'm curious is the iodine for the mother's thyroid or the baby's thyroid or both?
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• Thanks @PerraSucia! I'll join in tomorrow, hopefully.
  • @NiceyMeany nice! Thanks for the input! It's all a little overwhelming trying to figure out what is allowed. And on top of that we are planning on moving from NH to Maine next June sooo...

BOOK CLUB! I must have missed that, I'd be game for joining on the next book!

• @marriedhamstermom that's a good question! I think the iodine is for both mom and baby's thyroid. However, the deficiency during pregnancy can cause lower IQ in baby.  

• @jlellis603 wow! Honestly, you may want to wait until after your move to make the switch. Interstate reciprocity isn't too bad, especially among neighboring states, but it gets hairy when you're working on a provisional or career switcher license. Plus, it may take you more than a year to take all your exams and complete your program. I had to take all my exams (including my Praxis) before I could be admitted into my program. 
  • @MrsDramaK not random hairs everywhere, but my belly has gotten a little hairy :/

ME: 25, DH: 27

TTC #1 since 09/2015

Miscarriage @ 10 wks 02/28/2016

BFP 05/28/2016!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited August 2016
    I had mentioned awhile back that I had gone back to school for a career change to teaching and since there are so many teachers here, maybe one of you can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I completed my Masters in Elementary Ed but my undergrad degree is in Business.  I only have student teaching and 1 year as a teacher's assistant as experience so I understand that I'm not the most desirable candidate for a teaching position.  But I've been applying to other teaching assistant positions and I've heard not one peep from anyone.  It's extremely discouraging to say the least.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • MrsDramaK said:
    Is anyone else growing random hairs EVERYWHERE?  
    I've taken to plucking hairs near my belly button :expressionless: and maybe a few other places...sigh
  • @BumpasaurusRex are you a certified teacher now?  If so, you're certainly overqualified for assistant positions.  I am currently hiring teachers and would not hire someone who was working on a doctorate or an admin degree because I know they'd only use the job with me as a stepping stone up to the next thing.

You also might need to start reaching out to department heads directly.  Usually, applicants come to me via my principal, but they come to us from the district.  It can take a long time to get an application through the grapevine.  Go right onto the website for a school where you want to apply, look up the email address for the head of the department you want to be in, and email that person directly.  Attach a PDF of your resume and explain why you're contacting them directly (my kids go to school there, I'm an alumna, I toured the school and knew I belonged there, etc.  Make something up if you have to).  Be aggressive!  The other thing I would suggest is having a really solid portfolio prepared.  Do you have a teaching philosophy, classroom management strategy, sample lesson plans, etc? 
  • @NIceyMeany yeah you're probably right. It would make the most sense to wait until we are settled in the state we want to be in for a while before I start this process. That will save me from having to get licensed in more than one state also.

@BumpasaurusRex I know that here in NH, surprisingly, teaching jobs are hard to come by :/. Not many people are leaving their jobs since they are afraid they wont find anything else, therefore there are no vacancies. Also, the district my friend worked in just laid off 20 teachers due to budget cuts....it's scary out there. So don't get too discouraged! It's probably not your credentials, its probably more so that when a position does open up, the circle of teachers know someone or have someone lined up or they hire from within. Unfair, kind of, but it is happening :/

• @NiceyMeany I do have a portfolio that contains everything so I'm good on that point.  And your explanation about using the assistant job as a stepping stone definetely makes sense.  But on the flip side, I need more experience to actually get a teaching position.  I'm certified but after I completed the program, I couldn't find a job and to be honest, we had a financial setback and couldn't afford to have me work just as a sub.  

So there's a gap between when I completed school/student teaching to now.  I'm sort of in a 'need more experience to get a job but can't get the experience to move forward' spot.  

@jlellis603 Budget cuts are a worry for me, because I fully completed the program and got my Masters.  So it's more desirable to hire someone with a Bachelor's degree than a Master's with the same amount of experience because they can get away with paying them less.  

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • @BumpasaurusRex I totally understand you on that point.  In the meantime, could you pick up any tutoring and/or online teaching?
  • Anyone else on Hermine watch? 
  • @BumpasaurusRex I totally understand you on that point.  In the meantime, could you pick up any tutoring and/or online teaching?
    Tutoring may be a good idea but I haven't explored online teaching.  

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • @BumpasaurusRex teaching jobs are hard to come by here too. I was laid off this past year due to budget cuts. Thankfully, I snagged a job in another district but it was another long process of applications. Over the past two years, I've probably applied for 200 or so positions. 
  • For anyone who wants a teaching job come to Pueblo, CO we need teachers. We are the poor city in Colorado so a lot of Coloradans  do not want to come down to pueblo. They stay up in Denver. 

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • @homemake we are on hermine watch here. But for us I don't think it will be that bad. We are at top of fl/exit 1 of ga. 
    . Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • For anyone who wants a teaching job come to Pueblo, CO we need teachers. We are the poor city in Colorado so a lot of Coloradans  do not want to come down to pueblo. They stay up in Denver. 
    Or, if you're on the east coast, we're desperate for teachers in Virginia.  My district still needs to hire something like 50 more teachers before Tuesday.
  • @WinchesterGirl poor doggies. My older one definitely just goes on the porch when it's raining. The weather is so nice right now but I have a tropical storm warning for my county. We're definitely in the line of fire but after its hit land for a bit... Not sure what's going to happen. 

@lct2008 I'm in north fl/south ga too! But if you're talking I-95 , we live nowhere near each other. 
  • @homemake yup. I95. We are right on the water 
    . Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • edited August 2016
    I just blow dried and styled my hair for the first time in weeks. I feel like a human again.  

@MrsDramaK I hear ya on the nose hairs.  Same here.  I've never had to trim them so often before! Also, it's getting tougher and tougher to groom my bikini area with this growing belly. I'm going to have a bush pretty soon.  

Illinois also is very short handed in teachers and subs! If anyone's interested.

Edit: spelling 

• @NiceyMeany I had a feeling you weren't far from me! MD here. Must be where all the teachers went bc H is struggling to get a job. In special ed. What the what?!
  • @MommaBean wow, that's crazy!  We have 5 openings in Exceptional Ed!  Come down to VA.  It's better than MD anyway ;)
  • Lol idk about that, @NiceyMeany - I remember when we were discussing salaries, leave, etc a few weeks ago and I was telling you to come here!!
  • I majored in chemistry with no educational background. I was a career changer. It worked out fine for me though! I was able to do my student teaching in my own classroom, my principal just had to sign off on it. I'm a big advocate for just putting your resume out there everywhere. There's a good chance you could get hired, and then after that take the steps you need for your masters!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I missed the pain olympics TWT posts yesterday.. but I'm pregnant tired and my kid wakes up six times a night. 

IM WINNING BY LOSING. 
  • I missed the pain olympics TWT posts yesterday.. but I'm pregnant tired and my kid wakes up six times a night. 

IM WINNING BY LOSING. 
    You are clearly winning. But I don't know if anyone wants to win like that. I'm sorry :S 

IM WINNING BY LOSING. 
    You are clearly winning. But I don't know if anyone wants to win like that. I'm sorry :S 
    I definitely don't recommend it. It makes you so angry. 
  • edited September 2016
    I seriously think my husband has a form of sleep apnea. He gets terrible night terrors that he says causes sleep paralysis and he has to shake uncontrollably to wake himself up. I nudged him bc he was snoring and he told
    me he just saw something climb in from the top of the doorway. Anddddd now I might sleep with the tv on. 
    My husband gets sleep paralysis night terrors too. Similar, except he doesn't shake to wake himself up, he'll suddenly just burst awake, sit up or jump out of bed and yell something like "What the F***?!" really loud which always scares the crap out of me. I definitely think it's related to stress because he doesn't have them all the time, it's the worst when he's going through something stressful. There was a lot of very stressful personal drama on his side of the family last year and he was having them a lot :(
    Also, I'm not 100% sure because i'm always asleep until he wakes up from it, but I think it's when he's sleeping on his back like a few others were saying.

Edited to clarify.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm not sure if this should go in random or the STM thread, but I need some advice.

I'm a FTM and thought I had good insurance until it came time to use it. Apparently I have a plan that no one accepts. The closest OB that takes it is over an hour away and he delivers at a hospital I don't want to go to and I absolutely can't stand him as a person. Ive decided to just suck it up and deal with him until I can join my husband's amazing insurance in January.

So my question is has anyone switched doctors late in their pregnancy? I'm due Feb 14 so I'll be 34 weeks at the beginning of Jan. Can I sign up for hospital tours or classes at a hospital my current OB doesn't go to? I live within 15 minutes of two of the best hospitals in GA so I'd much rather go to one of those. Is there anything I need to do differently or plan for differently? My mother had all of her children a couple weeks early so switching that late is kind of stressing me out a bit..
    . I am seeing my family dr and won't even get referred to an OB until around 30 weeks unless deemed high risk. And the chance that the OB delivers is just if they happen to be at the hospital working at that time. My first happened to have the OB deliver and my third (stillborn) as well but that was scheduled. With my fourth, the OB was on holidays for weeks 39 and 40 and I wasn't even told until I booked the appointments each week. 
    That being said, if you are having a "normal" pregnancy with no complications, I wouldn't have a problem switching that late. 

IM WINNING BY LOSING. 
    And then she has this asshole friend who texts her about being child free and taking naps...

IM WINNING BY LOSING. 
    And then she has this asshole friend who texts her about being child free and taking naps...
    I'm no jelly bitch. You deserve awesomeness.