February 2017 Moms

Weekly Randoms (8/29)

Re: Weekly Randoms (8/29)

• I haven't made a late pregnancy Dr switch, but the hospital that I'm local charges for the birthing classes if your Dr doesn't have privileges there.  They didn't mention it anywhere but on the first night of the class we had to say who our Dr was and one couple was using a Dr without privileges there and I overheard the conversation about the cost of the class.  

Maybe you can go ahead and look at who is in network on your husband's plan and decide who you'll want to switch to and call them to explain the situation and see what they recommend given your situation?

• @SawyerRichardson I do not have experience switching late but maybe you should try calling the OB you want to go to( that your husbands insurance covers) and tell them your situation and see what they say about it. I'm guessing you can do tours and classes, in my experience I didn't have to say who my doctor was. Also there may be a hereditary component to delivering early or late but for example my mom delivered two weeks late with all her kids and I delivered mine right on time. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Does anybody know how to get off timeshare call lists? MIL gifted us her week a couple of years ago, and we sat through a presentation for a $75 gift card. Since then they've called my cell every couple of months,  which is fine, but suddenly over the last two weeks it has been multiple times a day. It's always a robocall, not a real person, so I'm stumped as to how to proceed. 
  • @Xstatic3333if they are calling your cell and it's always the same number, you should be able to block the number from your cell phone.  Sorry I don't know anything about timeshares, though.  

@fourPsinapod does your husband have PTSD? I get night terrors, sleep paralysis, and act out in my sleep from the nightmares. These are all symptoms of PTSD. You may want to look into that.  

• skiingstarkskiingstark member
    edited August 2016

Is anyone currently/has in the past/planning on going back to school? Most importantly, while they have kids and/or are pregnant? I've wanted to be a teacher since the summer I graduated college (2012)...I know, too little too late since I have my bachelor's in Business Management. I would really love to go back to school and get my masters in education and I can do it all online - with the exception of student teaching. My fiancé wants me to do it also, obviously because I want to, but also because he thinks the teachers hours are great for having kids and he loved that his mom was at home when he was a kid. How hard do you think it'd be to work full time, have an infant, go back to school, have a crazy hyper dog, and tough it out for 2 more semesters while my fiancé finishes his masters?

As a teacher here are my thoughts: First thoughts teaching is amazing! I think you could do it, also look into alternative certification programs. Many states have them esp could be an easier route if you teach business in high school you could be able to use your bachelor's degree in business. Here is my big butt, the idea teachers have good hours is a myth. I work from 7 to 5 having to stay after school to help kids or call parents and then I bring work home to grade and collect tons of data (pointless data that state requires) and then I am pressured to go to the kids games, plays, concerts etc... to show my support for my school and students. Also summers are filled with teacher conferences because we have to continue our education to keep our  certifications up and schools start early than they use too. I started school the first week of August. 

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • AfKash said:
    @Xstatic3333if they are calling your cell and it's always the same number, you should be able to block the number from your cell phone.  Sorry I don't know anything about timeshares, though.  

@fourPsinapod does your husband have PTSD? I get night terrors, sleep paralysis, and act out in my sleep from the nightmares. These are all symptoms of PTSD. You may want to look into that.  
    I don't think he has PTSD.. Or at least anything I know of that would cause it. Hmm. Interesting.. I'll have to look into it. 
  • So where did we land on @krob being banned? Was it accidental? Did it get fixed?
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Whoops! Today was my first day of the new job and I forgot to post. Gosh, where are my priorities?! Haha! 
    I'm just now joining in and I'm curious why type of job did you start and do they know that you are pregnant yet? I started a new job on August 12th and I haven't told my new boss yet. I'm pretty nervous for some reason. I know job wise everything will be fine because this company has their own leave policy that in eligible for so my job is secure during maternity leave. I also planned a trip to Disney world at the end of the month that wa a planned well I advance of this new job so I think once I get back from that I'm going to break the news. 
  • Whoops! Today was my first day of the new job and I forgot to post. Gosh, where are my priorities?! Haha! 
    I'm just now joining in and I'm curious why type of job did you start and do they know that you are pregnant yet? I started a new job on August 12th and I haven't told my new boss yet. I'm pretty nervous for some reason. I know job wise everything will be fine because this company has their own leave policy that in eligible for so my job is secure during maternity leave. I also planned a trip to Disney world at the end of the month that wa a planned well I advance of this new job so I think once I get back from that I'm going to break the news. 
    I'm a teacher. I've only told my direct supervisors - no coworkers. Plus, I've barely met people yet anyways. I probably won't "tell" people, they will just figure it out soon. It was really scary to tell and truly, I wasn't ready to (we had a loss and I'm still anxious) but I knew I had to because of specific mentor program requirements and deadlines and needing a sub. 
  • It's always different numbers @AfKash. It may even be multiple companies. Timeshares are such a scam. They always make it sound like you won a contest. I wonder how many people fall for this crap.
  • @fourPsinapod I'm glad I'm not the only one who is scared. I plan to only tell my direct supervisor and the rest of my coworkers and just figure it out and my supervisor can tell the people above him if he needs too. So far everything seems to be really laid back around here and I don't think it will be an issue, but it still has me nervous. On the other hand my boss is only a few years older than me and him and his wife are expecting thier first in December so I'm sure he will understand. 
  • +1 for annoyed at no thank you card.. I bought $100 gift for a not very close friend's wedding and got NO sort of thank you. Not even a text message. Nothing. So rude. 
  • No one should expect a card within a month of someone getting married. That's obscene. Eddiquitte is like a year for a thank you but I think 3-6 months is standard. 
  • Yeah, I'm firmly Team Send Thank You cards.  It's the most basic gift etiquette- someone gives you a gift, you send a thank you.  Simple.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • edited August 2016
    @marriedhamstermom having cake yourself but feeding your guests donuts?? How tacky and rude! If they couldn't afford a wedding (which I totally understand) at least do something extremely small with only very few people. Instead of doing shit like that! 

I went to a wedding of someone we are not very close to.  It was a shit show. The family invited way too many people then what they had planned for in terms of food and seating. Not only that, but they arrived SUPER late and didn't even apologize to the guests.  There were people standing around because they didn't have enough seats.  They ran out of food! There was absolutely no room to dance but yet, the family was dancing like crazy bumping and elbowing their guests. Ugh.

Edit: Also, the reason I even brought this issue up is because someone in my family decided to throw an 8th grade graduation party.  Is that a thing now?! I didn't even want to go.  But had to because it's family.  But neither the graduating girl or her parents have sent a thank you note. 

• Is anyone currently/has in the past/planning on going back to school? Most importantly, while they have kids and/or are pregnant? I've wanted to be a teacher since the summer I graduated college (2012)...I know, too little too late since I have my bachelor's in Business Management. I would really love to go back to school and get my masters in education and I can do it all online - with the exception of student teaching. My fiancé wants me to do it also, obviously because I want to, but also because he thinks the teachers hours are great for having kids and he loved that his mom was at home when he was a kid. How hard do you think it'd be to work full time, have an infant, go back to school, have a crazy hyper dog, and tough it out for 2 more semesters while my fiancé finishes his masters?

As a teacher here are my thoughts: First thoughts teaching is amazing! I think you could do it, also look into alternative certification programs. Many states have them esp could be an easier route if you teach business in high school you could be able to use your bachelor's degree in business. Here is my big butt, the idea teachers have good hours is a myth. I work from 7 to 5 having to stay after school to help kids or call parents and then I bring work home to grade and collect tons of data (pointless data that state requires) and then I am pressured to go to the kids games, plays, concerts etc... to show my support for my school and students. Also summers are filled with teacher conferences because we have to continue our education to keep our  certifications up and schools start early than they use too. I started school the first week of August. 

Thanks for your thoughts! Actually, both my fiancé and I have been teachers in the past. We both taught at placement facility for "at-risk" boys. It's a residential treatment facility and like their step before juvi. The hours there were long with having to enter crazy data, grading at home on the floor because these kids barely do any work and their sheets are half complete on 6 different versions, and documenting all of their behaviors and IEPs for the state. I am interested in elementary SPED or possibly just early childhood ed. I was hoping I'd be able to do just the certification programs for one of those given I have a bachelors and am confident I can pass the praxis. Do you have any knowledge on that? I am also looking to coach so I am okay with the "longer hours" as long as there is some give somewhere, maybe coaching will get me out of concerts haha! I just really hate what I am doing now and it is soul sucking to go to work. Even if teaching elementary school ends up with me putting more time in, that'd be okay because I love it and miss it! I just worry about the going back to school part.... especially now.
  • It makes me sad that they are a dying art. That said, I am ok with it being 2-4 months after a wedding. I'm just happy to get them at all at this point. I probably only do about 50% of the time after weddings. 
  • No one should expect a card within a month of someone getting married. That's obscene. Eddiquitte is like a year for a thank you but I think 3-6 months is standard. 
    I feel like a month is plenty of time. We were on our honeymoon for a week and then wrote them when we got back and still had them in the mail by 2 weeks... I've never heard a year, that is insane why bother at that point? 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• Ermagerd! Sorry to change my own topic....but I forgot to tell you ladies! Lorena Bobbitt was on Steve Harvey on Monday! Did anyone else see it?? Steve's reactions to her comments were hilarious. 

I feel like a month is plenty of time. We were on our honeymoon for a week and then wrote them when we got back and still had them in the mail by 2 weeks... I've never heard a year, that is insane why bother at that point? 

@marriedhamstermom 1 year is indeed proper etiquette. I think it also depends on the size of the party. We had 200 people at our wedding, and just about everyone brought a gift....so we definitely needed more than a month to get everything logged and cards written.

ME: 25, DH: 27

TTC #1 since 09/2015

Miscarriage @ 10 wks 02/28/2016

BFP 05/28/2016!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ***VENT!!***

my 14 mth old has not been feeling well with a fever And he is teething getting his molars in which is causing him a lot of pain. Last night, I finally sat down at 7:00pm, once my husband got home from work, only to jump off the couch in a full on panic because my little one was screaming at the top of his lungs and my husband, who was upstairs with him, starting yelling my name.  LO is fine, but he did throw up a tiny bit from crying so hard which is why my husband was calling me. He stopped crying soon after I got upstairs.  The issue is that by jumping off the couch and literally sprinting, I somehow managed to tear all the muscles (it seems) in my left calf. I cannot put any weight on that leg and cannot flex my ankle. My husband took me to my PCP this morning but all they did was make an appointment for later today for me to see a sports medicine Doctor. So now I'm sitting here with a pair of crutches and a very active, mobile Toddler. My husband had to go back to work and won't be back until late tonight. I have no idea how this doctors appointment is going to even workout. I'm thinking DS is going to have to go in the baby carrier on my back and hopefully I can manage that and the crutches to get into their office. Once there, I'm not sure how I'm going to contain my little beastie boy (which we sometimes refer to him as, in the most loving way, of course!) I'm also hoping he is feeling a little better because he had such a difficult morning and was crying and wanted to be held for over an hour and even that did not calm him down. He's doing a little better now, thank goodness. (Yes I took him to the doc on Monday, he has a virus. Nothing to do but give him medicine to keep his fever at bay). anyway, we don't yet have a babysitter that we use, and my sis in law, who sometimes comes over to help, is not available till later today. So I'm just going to have to make this work.  Uggggggghhhhhhhh!! thanks for listening.
  • @gingersnap So excited to see after pics!

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • Is anyone currently/has in the past/planning on going back to school? Most importantly, while they have kids and/or are pregnant? I've wanted to be a teacher since the summer I graduated college (2012)...I know, too little too late since I have my bachelor's in Business Management. I would really love to go back to school and get my masters in education and I can do it all online - with the exception of student teaching. My fiancé wants me to do it also, obviously because I want to, but also because he thinks the teachers hours are great for having kids and he loved that his mom was at home when he was a kid. How hard do you think it'd be to work full time, have an infant, go back to school, have a crazy hyper dog, and tough it out for 2 more semesters while my fiancé finishes his masters?

Thanks for your thoughts! Actually, both my fiancé and I have been teachers in the past. We both taught at placement facility for "at-risk" boys. It's a residential treatment facility and like their step before juvi. The hours there were long with having to enter crazy data, grading at home on the floor because these kids barely do any work and their sheets are half complete on 6 different versions, and documenting all of their behaviors and IEPs for the state. I am interested in elementary SPED or possibly just early childhood ed. I was hoping I'd be able to do just the certification programs for one of those given I have a bachelors and am confident I can pass the praxis. Do you have any knowledge on that? I am also looking to coach so I am okay with the "longer hours" as long as there is some give somewhere, maybe coaching will get me out of concerts haha! I just really hate what I am doing now and it is soul sucking to go to work. Even if teaching elementary school ends up with me putting more time in, that'd be okay because I love it and miss it! I just worry about the going back to school part.... especially now.
    @jlellis603 that's going to depend on the state you want to get your cert in. There are technically alternatives to student teaching but, at least around here, you'll be hard pressed to find a school willing to hire you provisionally. Student teaching is usually your only option. You want to coach high school and teach elem? That sounds tricky too - different hours. Sorry if I sound like Debbie Downer - teaching is awesome! I love my job and wish you lots of luck with making a plan. Oh and I did an online master's program when my son was 5-6 and it wasn't bad (+ teaching FT + husband in school)
  • jlellis603jlellis603 member
    edited August 2016
    @MommaBean damn girl, you're superwoman! That is a lot going on! Ugh I know, I was hoping to bypass student teaching because it would suck to either only have one income during that time or to find time to do my job part time from home too. As far as coaching - I don't see too much of an issue because I'm interested in Track as an "assistant". And I would only be doing event coaching (hurdles, long jump) so I wouldn't need to be there until 3:30 at the earliest and probably wouldn't have to be there everyday. I coached my high school while I was in college for those events. But right now, going back to school seems like it will be put on the back burner until we can formulate some sort of "long-term" plan. Thanks for the info :)!
  • I still struggle a LOT with taking PNV. I tell myself I eat a well balanced diet so I should be okay, but honestly when I'm nauseated (most days) it's not super balanced. I picked these bad boys up just now hoping it helps my PNV aversion.

<3 DD1- Aug11 <3o:) Angel Baby- June13, said goodbye Oct12 o:)<3 DD2- Aug13 <3<3 DD3- due Feb17 <3

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• @peachesnbean Where did you find that?  It looks intriguing.  Most of the time I do okay with my prenatals, but sometimes I just don't feel like messing with them.  It doesn't help that I'm taking the Rainbow Light ones that are 6 big pills per day.

I am a career switcher, and did my teaching license through one of my state's alternative certification programs. It is one of the best decisions I've ever made. I would recommend my program to anyone. I do know that my state, and many others, only allow alternative routes to licensure for secondary and ESL. K-5 and exceptional education must be completed through a traditional degree and licensure program. You'll have to check the requirements for your state, though. 
  • I've been struggling with prenatals too. It doesn't matter if I take it in the morning or before I go to bed, the nausea makes it so much worse. I need to figure out a way to get them down though. I barely took it at all during the first tri. 
    Married: 12/2015
    Me: 37 - H: 39
    TTC#1: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/18/2016 - EDD: 02/20/2017 - Born: 01/27/2017

• @peachesnbean Where did you find that?  It looks intriguing.  Most of the time I do okay with my prenatals, but sometimes I just don't feel like messing with them.  It doesn't help that I'm taking the Rainbow Light ones that are 6 big pills per day.

I take a Rainbow Light that's only 1 a day but I still struggle when my stomach doesn't feel right all day. It's like "ok when do I want to take this and try not to throw up?" lol
    Me: 24  DH: 28

Married: 9/2013

Love my LEO!!

TTC #1: 9/2015

BFP: 2/1/16  MC 2/8/16 @ 5wks

BFP: 5/22/16 RAINBOW BABY

EDD: 1/30/2017 *IT'S A GIRL!!!!* 

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

• I read something on TB or on What to Expect...about iodine deficiency and how it can cause serious problems for your fetus. Turns out the salt that we've been using is NOT iodized and my prenatal doesn't have iodine in it either.  Oops! I went out and got iodized salt yesterday.  I'm hoping I'm not deficient because they're isn't really a test you can use to see what your level is.  My doc appointment isn't until 9/13 so I'll just have to wait and see what he says.  

• what the hell happened to the book club?

I READ THE BOOK. 
    Some just needs to start a thread for it! I'm very close to done.