July 2016 Moms

Postpartum Health & Fitness

Re: Postpartum Health & Fitness

• @hannahmp still bleeding at 15 days pp. it hasn't really slowed down to much and I still have clots and bright red color. My doctor said its okay. I also had a lot of trauma during delivery. 
  • @hannahmp my bleeding has maybe (fingers crossed!) stopped at 5 weeks PP. It's been 2 days with no sign of anything. I've had just pantiliners in for 2 weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • Anyone else lose weight initially and start putting it back on? Now that I'm no longer bleeding or hurting and hormones are stabilizing I'm starting to get HUNGRY! Like more than when I was pregnant...
  • @hannahmp I'm 5 weeks PP and I'm still occasionally bleeding. Sometimes it's brownish signaling I'm close to being done and other times it's bright red. Can't figure out what's going on but I go to the dr next week for my 6 week check up
    Ditto. 
  • @PootsDragon yes! I regained like five pounds after losing initially. I am starving all the time! 
  • @CarrieandRoy That was my biggest thing too, my stretch marks are really bad and it's a little hard to deal with the fact that my skin won't ever be the same there considering they cover my whole stomach! But thinking of them as victory scars helps :) Plus I know I want more kids if possible, so I just better get used to it! My mom had the exact same stretch mark pattern I have and hers eventually faded so you can hardly see them, so there's hope! 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • I didn't really get stretch marks with my first. I got a few that were very faint. This time, I gained 3lbs less total, but has a 2 lb bigger baby. I am also bummed about stretch marks. I'm wondering if they will ever fade enough for a bikini.
  • My sister had twins and didn't get stretch marks. Mine are creeping up my belly with each passing day. I really hope I deliver before my scheduled induction on Tuesday. I can't take much more of this.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• @PootsDragon That definitely happened to me last time BFing. I lost about 25 pounds right away and then proceeded to gain 10 back over the next year BFing DD, putting me 20 pounds over prepregnancy. I was much hungrier than when pregnant.

My initial weight loss is not as impressive this time even though my pregnancy gain was the same and this LO was within ounces of his sister's birth weight. I really want to start jogging again so I don't put anything back on. I know I need to wait longer, but am thinking I might try at 4 weeks taking it easy because I had such an easy delivery/recovery. Trying to eat healthier too, but with 2u2, it's not always the priority I'd like it to be.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was within 5 lbs of my pre-pregnancy weight at 2 weeks PP. Now I feel like I've gained a bunch back because I'm so so hungry all the time! I'm really nervous for my 6 week appointment next week; I don't want to see the scale. So ready to get back to my normal workout routine once I have the OK from my doc! Does anyone have any cardio workouts they recommend for at home? We don't have a gym membership as money is a little tight right now so anything I do is outside (when it's not a million degrees out) or in my living room.
  • @schaze I've done Insanity before. It's TOUGH but fairly effective. Or I do Zumba. I like dancing and that gets a good heart rate going.
  • So happy to have lost 26 lbs already!! Unfortunately I'm still 30 lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight. Not happy about how much I gained while pregnant but trying to remain hopeful that I will be able to lose it all! 
  • @CarrieandRoy ugh I feel you on the stretch marks. For being a bigger girl, I've shockingly never really dealt with them! They're surrounding my belly button now and even though the baby weight is long gone its hard accepting how different my body looks now, especially my stomach/stretch marks. I guess its something we just have to ignore or embrace. I am jealous of your sister!
  • I am really needing to get back to exercising as my stomach muscles are non existent it seems and it's really straining my Back but I don't have my check up until August 30th 
  • Ugh seeing everyone say how much weight they have lost is so frustrating for me bc I have started gaining back! I'm 6 weeks pp, ebf and chasing around a toddler all day while carrying a baby! We eat pretty healthy balanced meals and I only ever drink water, skim milk or coffee. I just got the ok to exercise again so hoping to be able to fit in a workout here and there and maybe that will help! 
  • LF93LF93 member
    I don't know if this was mentioned in another thread or not but thought I'd throw it out here. Has anyone found it difficult to go pee several days after birth? I needed to have a catheter fitted to drain urine after the labour but I was fine up until Wednesday. Now it seems to take a lot for me to be able to pee. I'm hoping it's not an infection as my local doctor is 3 hours away. Just to add, it's so much easier to go when I've only drank water. Any other kind of liquid kills me to pass, I'm finding it very strange! 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DS#1 July 2016
    Baby #2 July 2018
  • @LF93 Have you been using the perineal bottle to spray warm water while you pee? That helps immensely with the discomfort. I ended up with a horrible UTI that I suspect was from the ridiculous amount of cervical checks during my induction, and it ended up going to my kidneys which was as painful as back labor (aka worst pain of my life). I think I didn't notice it before it got that bad because I thought the pain while peeing was just due to delivery, so if you think it could be an infection I would get checked sooner rather than later. 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • @lf93 I don't think it's that strange because of how strained those muscles were and then add any tears you may have on top of that. First time is typically much worse I believe because next time around you're more stretched out. I had the opposite problem with DD and was still occasionally randomly peeing my pants about 2 weeks post partum. Sometimes I couldn't tell I had to go until I was going. I did have the problem you're describing immediately after labor this time around, but I had very few stitches and a much easier recovery, so it subsided pretty quickly.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• A couple days after birth I had some trouble peeing I would have to sit on the toilet and wait until I could start the stream sometimes standing up would help get it down and then I could go. The peri bottle was a life saver too. It only lasted like 3 days. My fear of peeing after tearing and stitches didnt help either.
  • LF93LF93 member
    It doesn't hurt to go, its just uncomfortable. I'm thinking the fact that I haven't been peeing as much is throwing me off a bit. I'm going to drink lots of water today and have some cranberry juice too. Hopefully that helps and if not I'll be off to the doctor to be checked out! My body is finding it difficult to get back to pre pregnancy rituals! 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DS#1 July 2016
    Baby #2 July 2018
  • @lf93 yes! I had to stay extra nights in the hospital because I was unable to pee and they wouldn't send me home until I could go. They put in a catheter in twice for me and told me it was normal for some women to have a "sleepy" bladder after delivery. In the hospital they ended up giving me a meds to cause my bladder to contract and help wake it up. I'm 18 days pp and it's still not the same going on my own but I can tell it's slowly improving. For me it was never about the pain or stinging, I literally couldn't get started going. Some things that have helped me go: using the peri bottle with warm water and running my hand under the warm water, drinking a lot of fluids, going after breastfeeding, opening my mouth and relaxing my jaw. Also, relaxing my jaw with my mouth open while in the shower has helped me go too (no shame in peeing in the shower on my end..) it sucks and the longer in takes to start going when you try the worse the mental block becomes. Hang in there, it will get better!! 
  • @rakel88 You go with your bad self, 135lb deadlift! I also had to order new bras and they arrived the other day so I'll be going on my first PP run today - so excited!

I'm not anywhere close to my pre-pregnancy weight and it's bumming me out. I know the number on the scale isn't everything, but it's frustrating to be eating healthier than I did my whole pregnancy and seeing that the number barely moves. Oh well... it is what it is, right?
    July BMB Siggy Challenge: Weird Hot Dog Situations
  • Any good bra brand recommendations? I need new sports bras since my huge boobs got even more huge. I don't want to spend a ton of money though.
  • @Schmooie730 try moving comfort by brooks. Great for high impact activities like running. I had large breasts before pregnancy and it's the only bra thats worked  for me. I wear the Maia style. 
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • I'm at my pre-pregnancy weight, but that is way up from where I was a few years ago/where I'd like to be ideally, so I have a lot of work to do. I'm only 5 weeks pp so I have a week or so to wait and see if I can get back into things.

It's been so hot and humid here, that I haven't been out walking much which I hate. I'm hoping once I'm cleared to work out, I can use our elliptical and do some hand weights to start and then get into some DVDs and yoga classes once or twice a week. 

Appetite wise, I'm definitely eating more than I was at 2 weeks pp, when I felt like I was losing a ton of weight and not wanting to eat much. I'm also enjoying a little wine every day so that probably isn't helping the weight loss. Ah well. 

While I'd like to be about 2-3 sizes smaller than I am right now, I'm giving myself a break and giving myself a chance to lose the weight as I can. Being a mom of a daughter, I am now so mindful of wanting to have a positive body image (which I have never really had) and teaching her to be healthy and happy in her skin one day.
  • @Schmooie730 I Like Champion bras. There's a style that's high impact and closes in the back and runs true to size, at least in my experience. 
    July BMB Siggy Challenge: Weird Hot Dog Situations
  • Yes to the positive body image! My husband and I are both into different physical activities. I am a die hard distance runner, and in the last year my husband took up biking/ sprint triathalons and has lost about 50 lbs. We have made it a point to say things like, "We are exercising to be healthy." We try not to say anything about fat, and when we weigh ourselves (because now our son loves to weigh himself too) we always cheer. LOL. We don't let him see any scale negativity.  My mom was very supportive of me and never made me feel bad about my weight, but she set an example by calling herself fat in front of me. I have a terrible body image. I was in the best shape of my life in between these two pregnancies, and I felt "fat" constantly. Now that I'm 23 lbs over that, I can't believe how terrible I am to myself. I look at pictures from last summer and I'm just shocked that I would ever treat myself that way!!
  • Is anyone finding it hard to produce milk while dieting? I tried testing everything- caffeine, alcohol, sleep, stress, water intake. I feel the only thing that helps me produce more milk is eating a TON and letting my weight creep up. Days where I calorie count (even adding extra for nursing) I make less milk! I was a pound under my pre pregnancy weight, but milk production was low. I've let a few pounds and some belly fat back on and make double or triple dieting day milk! Is there really a way to lose weight without milk supply tanking?
  • @pootsDragon I would think restricting food intake could reduce supply. With DS1 I held onto a few extra pounds while I was still nursing him. It came off once I was finished with nursing though.
  • When does the jiggly belly skin go away?  Between my PP weigh in at the doc yesterday (still ~8lb over pre-pregnancy weight...) and my jiggly bits I was a bit depressed. 5 weeks PP today and I was cleared to resume all normal activity, but I don't have access to any sort of gym or classes or anything so just trying to do stuff on my own when LO naps. 

• @erin7264 8 pounds away is amazing. I can't answer your question though because I lost a lot of weight before kids, so I'm permanently jiggly... :-/
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Thanks @whataboutscience, I am happy with my progress in that department considering the amount I gained during pregnancy. I just wish I had more than one pair of pants that fit! And more time to work out. I wish we had a gym or classes around here. 
  • @erin7264 My LO is 2.5 weeks old and I am still wearing maternity shorts. :-( I pretty much only have/wear jeans which are not very forgiving. Even my "fat" jeans a size up don't fit over my thighs. Depressing since I wore my regular jeans like 3 days after DD was born. Gained the same amount of weight, but it seems a larger amount of it was fat this time.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @erin7264 I ordered a couple of post partum dvds off of Amazon. Especially designed for mom tummies. No gym needed and you could get it done while baby naps. Just need two sets of hand weights. Lindsey Brin I think is the ladie's name.