July 2016 Moms
Options

Postpartum Health & Fitness

Re: Postpartum Health & Fitness

• Options
    I am doing WW too. I have lost around 5 lbs with the additional 16 points over 3 weeks. The extra seemed like a lot to me as well. I left it at 16 because I was worried about supply if I increased activity while doing a diet change. I don't ever go into the weeklies though and I think upping my level of activity has helped. I'm walking around 4 miles per day. Just 5 lbs to go to pre-pregnancy and 10 lbs to goal!
  • Options
    That's great! I changed it initially to not exclusively BFing but I was starving and worried about supply so I changed it back to exclusively BFing. I feel much better with the extra points! If I don't need them all during the day I dont use them. I have a lot of weight to loose so I'm hoping this gets it started. I have upped my activity level as well! Thanks for the encouragement knottie! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @arhodes6 I just rejoined WW too! I did it a few years ago and had good results so I have high hopes! I also just got a fitbit so I've upped my activity level too. Here's hoping I can start shedding some weight and not diminish my supply! 
  • Options
    That's great! I quite like the program so far. It really encourages you to eat more fruits, veggies, and protein. I am sure we can all do it! It also encourages sow weight loss, which is essential for anyone, but especially us nursing moms! It sets realistic goals per week. We did gain the weight over 9 months!

For additional exercise, I joined Fit4mom. Not sure if they have it in your areas, but in Chicago they have stroller classes (Stroller Strides) you can take your little one too that are actually quite a good workout! It is like a bootcamp class. They also have other types, probably depends on your area. I'd encourage you to see if there is anything similar where you live!
  • Options
    Yay weight watchers!! Good luck everyone who is on it! I believe in us!! 
  • Options
    I had been debating whether or not to join WW, but hearing all of y'all talking about it convinced me. Today will be my first day. It's been a really long time since I've focused on my eating and exercise habits.  
  • Options
    I don't feel quite ready to join WW but wanted to congratulate you all on joining. I've lost 45 lbs and 70 lbs using the plan in the past so I know it works! 
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • Options
    I'm officially down 35 lbs at 8 weeks PP! Unfortunately I was really overweight when I got pregnant so I'd love to lose another 80-100 to be healthy. I'm 280 now which everyone says oh you don't look that heavy!! Since I'm 5'9" and have big boobs/butt I guess they somehow think it's okay but it's not! Technically I am healthy and don't need any meds, but I just want my energy back. Plus I know being overweight and getting older is no good on your knees and back. 

So what im getting at is... does WW really work?! I've always been a skeptic. Can one of y'all explain how it works? Thanks! 
  • Options
    WW worked for my step dad, and has continued working - he lost about 75 pounds and has kept it off for years now. However, I think one of the keys  to his success was that he was super strict, borderline militant with himself about sticking to the system and not deviating. I think it can be great if you use it to rearrange your lifestyle permanently versus looking at it as a temporary "diet" change. Give it a shot! 
  • Options
    arhodes6arhodes6 member
    edited September 2016
    @setosh like PP have said,WW is all about making a lifestyle change and not just a fad diet to loose weight. It gives you the tools to make healthy decisions when it comes to food but it also allows for splurging because it's almost impossible to stick to a diet that is so strict you hate every moment of it. I did WW a few years ago and lost 40 lbs but made a lifestyle change and was able to stay healthy. What's really nice right now is I am getting a lot of extra points since I'm EBFing so it isn't super strict and I'm still loosing weight. I'm at the end of week 2 and down 4 lbs. Only 36 left to go :wink:
  • Options
    @sestosh Wow that's a lot! Well done you! Keep up the good work.

I've lost 33lbs PP but still have another 14 to get to my pre pregnancy weight, saying that I need to lose about 30 to be at a healthy enough weight! It's super hard and I'm finding no motivation at all. I did start exercising but then kept finding excuses not to. I think that until I'm in the frame of mind and completely focused I'm not going to take weight loss seriously. I keep telling Nigel to encourage me more but he can be just as lazy as me! Good thing is the scales keeps lowering in number and not increasing!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DS#1 July 2016
    Baby #2 July 2018
  • Options
    For those of you who have made healthy lifestyle changes, either now or prior to pregnancy...what do you do to hold yourself accountable and stay motivated? This is where I struggle. I've had a hard time making healthy changes stick in the past and I think it's because I've always been tiny. But I know that skinny does not necessarily equal healthy! I'd really like to start working out a few days a week, even if it's just at home, and I really want to start forming better eating habits. (I type this as I sit here on my lunch break eating nachos and drinking a large slushie.) I want to set a good example for my son to follow as he grows up but I need to figure out how to keep myself on track. Any tips?
  • Options
    arhodes6 said:
    @jjtruffles I track everything in my Weight Watchers app to keep myself accountable. But it sounds like you need motivation to work out. my DH is my biggest supporter so we made a deal that until I reached my goal of a certain weight I wouldn't buy any clothes (shopping is my therapy so it was really hard!), but if I worked out a certain times during the week he would put money in a savings account for me to have a shopping spree when I reached my goal. It was like $10 if I worked out 3 times up to $50 for working all 7 days. By the time I reached my goal I had a good chunk of change to go shopping with. Maybe you could come up with something like that to keep you motivated? It worked for me! 
    I love this
  • Options
    My biggest thing was finding a gym that I like. I have always been a part of the park district gym and have workout videos but I always got bored bc I didn't know how to use the machines or what I needed to do. I found a local gym that has trainers there all the time to help you without paying for a personal trainer on top of the gym fee and that is a "no judgement" zone. For healthy eating it's all about allowing myself to have sweets when I want them or to eat out but don't gorge myself on it. I find that when I say I absolutely can't have dessert I crave it more and then when I do have it I binge. I allow myself to have something sweet each day but only a small amount. That's usually worked for me.
  • Options
    Is anyone just freaking hungry?? I am no longer a nursing mom (I was not built to be a dairy cow has been the realization but that's ok!) but pump 3x a day to get enough for LO to have a bottle of BM every morning. Since I've started back to work I feel like I am hungry ALL THE TIME. I've been trying to drink plenty of fluids but I'm still hungry.
  • Options
    @HoneyBear40 Yep I can relate! Since P was born I am always hungry but nothing ever sounds good. It's irritating because it makes me not want to eat and be ravenous at the same time! I was hoping this would pass but 12 weeks PP and it's still a thing. Except I still want all the sugar. It's a recipe for terrible eating habits.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    I have lost all motivation to work out. I can't pull myself out of this rut to get myself into gear. I think if I was back to work I'd be a lot more motivated because I'd be more active. *sigh* anyone any ideas?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DS#1 July 2016
    Baby #2 July 2018
  • Options
    @LF93 I'm in the same boat. I keep saying next week but next week comes and nothing. Let me know if you find anything that works. 
  • Options
    Anyone finding it difficult still in regards to peeing? I found it really difficult after labour to pass urine, it actually hurt. It went away for a while but it keeps coming back. Its like my urinary tract is being super lazy, any help?

DS#1 July 2016
    Baby #2 July 2018
  • Options
    My ob referred me to physical therapy to restregthen my pelvic floor muscles.  It is helping A LOT but my problem was random bladder leakage.  The PT explained that the pelvic floor muscles drop one inch during pregnancy/childbirth and don't move all the way back afterward.  Plus birthing a child moves everything around so the body has to figure how how to work again.  I find releasing the pelvic floor muscles harder than tightening them which sometimes makes it harder to pee.  Deep belly breaths help.  Hope you find some relief @LF93
  • Options
    Not so much bladder issues, but I think the perineal stitches were either wonky or haven't healed up right because that area does not feel right, sex still hurts, and it gets sore and raw feeling still sometimes. My OB said everything looked healed up just great at my 6wk PP appointment, and I no longer have insurance so I don't really want to go in unless absolutely necessary...but it's super annoying! 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    My scar still hurts too!!!  The PT recommended massaging the scar tissue.
  • Options
    My scar still hurts too. We've been easing into sex, but it's still painful at times. Doc says everything looks fine. Kinda sucks though. 
  • Options
    My knees have always been awful but since pregnancy they've been 100 times worse. I feel like an old lady. I am starting to do modified workouts again, which makes me feel like I'm at least trying something. At my last appointment I was 5 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight but I'm 2 full pants sizes bigger. Oh well haha. Working on eating healthy but my appetite is raging. 
  • Options
    I still haven't attempted sex. I'm thankful I have an understanding boyfriend. I think we're trying next week. We bought the lube and condoms. I'm thinking I need to be at least buzzed. Any other tips?
  • Options
    @setosh we've attempted a few times and each time gets easier. Little TMI coming but this amazing group should be used to it with all we talk about ;) The first time it felt like DH was HUGE and it was super uncomfortable like I was going to tear again - even with lube and a condom. We had to try different positions to make it easier on where my stitches were and he didn't go in the whole way. I found that laying on my side seemed to help too. Hope that helps a little.
  • Options
    Sex is still a bit uncomfortable. My OB says that's normal even 15 weeks post baby. DH and I will try and if it hurts, stop and finish things off High School style (manual/oral).
  • Options
    @FTM53 I giggled out loud at "high school style" 

We've tried 3 times since 7wks PP. Honestly at this point it's not that I'm uncomfortable  (though I certainly don't feel sexy) it's that we can't find the time. The baby goes down at 7 and sleeps 3 feet away from our bed, and refuses to nap during the day. Nothing kills the mood faster than listening to your baby cry hysterically while you're trying to orgasm. I feel a little bad for my husband these days. 
  • Options
    We tried the first time at 6 weeks postpartum. It wasn't horrible, but it was definitely uncomfortable and hurt for the first half. We just started slow and things felt better as we got into the swing of it. I didn't know at the time that I had a granulation of tissue that needed to be cauterized, so I am sure that added to it.  It has slowly gotten better since then. Yesterday was the first time it didn't hurt at all! I am almost 16 weeks postpartum. 
  • Options
    HeathereaddyHeathereaddy member
    edited October 2016
    We haven't attempted The Sex either and I'm not looking forward to it. LO sleeps in the room with us still so I use her as an excuse usually bc we can't do that in front of the baby! Even if she's asleep lol 
  • Options
    Had my first good sex PP at 15 weeks...yay! Got to be honest. It. Was. Awesome. We tried me on top moving. It let me get into a position that was comfortable, and move a pace that I liked/felt good. I was actually able to relax and enjoy it. Hubby got a letter of recommendation.  :D
  • Options
    We tried to put Jax down last night before Phillip left for work, but he wasn't having it. At least I attempted. Maybe tonight? I'm 13 weeks PP on Tuesday. 
  • Options
    I've found weekend nap times are the best. I have more energy and am in a better mood to begin with. 
  • Options
    This is definitely  TMI post:

Is anyone else still battling hemorrhoids? Did OTC treatments work? I used two tubes of prescription strength when I got out of the hospital and have been using OTC since along with tucks. I think I have internal ones and it's really annoying. The external come and go but I think the internal hhave been there the whole time(symptoms are way TMI)
  • Options
    JYesi0812JYesi0812 member
    edited October 2016
    Im 17 weeks PP and havent tried to have sex , I cant picture myself trying right now , I havent even gone to my 6 week checkup because Im afraid it will hurt like it did with my first baby , it takes me about 6 months , thank God DH is supportive and knows how sensitive I am