February 2017 Moms
Options

Ask a STM 8/3

Re: Ask a STM 8/3

• Options
    What were things you bought/registered for that you wish you didn't or could have done without?
    a "wet/dry" bag to put soiled clothes in the diaper bag. A plastic grocery sack is easier. 

Dont bother with toys/blankets/clothes because you will get a ton that you didn't register for anyway. 

I was actually pretty happy with our registry. 

July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    No blankets, as you'll get a ton of those.

Ditto on the nursery bedding.  Just a fitted crib sheet is needed so I didn't need the extra stuff.  Although I do see some people use the crib bumpers as wall decor so I guess it can be used it other ways.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Some people love them, but I couldn't stand my diaper genie! Got rid of it right away and just use plastic grocery bags to tie up and throw in the garage garbage. I though the genie filled up so quickly and was a pain in the neck to change. Plus you have to buy special genie bags. And I thought it smelled bad, and gets so germy. 

• Options
    What were things you bought/registered for that you wish you didn't or could have done without?
    Lucy's list is an amazing resource for this!
    My personal opinion, like the others said clothes, blankets, but also most of the "hip new crap" i.e. Wipe warmers, bottle shakers..... The more basic, the better. You are going to end up with a TON of shit, seriously, you'll never use half of it.
  • Options
    Some people love them, but I couldn't stand my diaper genie! Got rid of it right away and just use plastic grocery bags to tie up and throw in the garage garbage. I though the genie filled up so quickly and was a pain in the neck to change. Plus you have to buy special genie bags. And I thought it smelled bad, and gets so germy. 
    We made sure to register for a diaper pail that was compatible with normal trash bags. I can't remember what brand it is - but it works well. We have to empty it about once a week. Maybe a Dekor or something like that. 

It wIll stay in the nursery, though, even if my daughter is still in diapers when the new baby arrives. Toddlerhood, and her transitioning to a big girl bed this winter, will mean too easy of access to the diaper pail and that is a mess I want nothing to do with!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Nursery bedding set. 
    Yes!!! Only need to buy 3ish crib sheets and call it a day. Sets are a total waste of money, you can't even use the quilts or bumpers!
    Married 5/29/09
    DS 8/10/2010 8lbs 6oz
    DD 11/28/2012 8lbs 7oz
    It's a Girl! Due 2/5/2017
  • Options
    Has anyone ever used a Thule jogger?  I saw one yesterday at a brewery (I was picking up cans of a special release for my post-baby stash, which is already starting to get out of control...) and was super impressed with how easily it maneuvered annnnnd how pretty it was.  I'll be looking at reviews and everything, but I'm definitely interested in hearing about some more personal experiences.
  • Options

Nursery bedding set. 
    What is the point of a comforter for a newborn?! I mean I used it way later when DD was older, but it always seemed like it wasn't really big enough for a toddler who is rolling around while sleeping.
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • Options
    tentacular tentacular member
    edited August 2016
    I didn't use ANY of my fancy baby stuff. It was a waste of money. 

Here's a fancy baby thing that's been indispensible: zipper crip sheets. The top sheet zips on, so you can change sheets after a leak or a blow-out in 30 seconds without having to lift the crib and wrangle the sheet into place. Highly recommended. 

(edited for autocorrect issues.)
  • Options
    I didn't use ANY of my fancy baby stuff. It was a waste of money. 

Here's a fancy baby thing that's been indespensible: zipper crip sheets. The top sheet zips on, so you can change sheets after a leak or a blow-out in 30 seconds without having to lift the crib and wrangle the sheet into place. Highly recommended. 

(edited for autocorrect issues.)
    I didn't even know they had such a thing. That is amazing!
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • Options
    All good to know. Especially about the diaper genie requiring special bags since we can only use bags we buy from the town for our trash so I would want something that couldn't be used with those.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    A swing/bouncy seat were never used in our home. They took up so much space and just sat there collecting dust. 
  • Options
    @angeltennis3 That's actually totally genius! Probably cheaper than the zipper sheets, too. 
  • Options
    Here's a question for previous C-section moms. 

I know with twins, my section probability goes way up. I'm tempted to prepare myself by watching videos, but part of me thinks that's a real horrible idea. Thoughts??

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    HeatSparks, NO!!! Don't do it! JK I'm being dramatic, go ahead if you think it will help. Seriously though, I wouldn't. I still don't like seeing videos of it or if it's shown on TV or in a movie or anything and I have had 2 of them. I figure I'm not going to see my own, so why do I need to see it at all? I have a pretty strong stomach too, but there's something about it I just don't like seeing what actually happens lol that's just me though I'm weird. Unless there's videos that explain or show what happens other than the actual up close surgery part. 
  • Options
    @heatsparks I did not watch videos prior to my first c section - I personally would get a lot of anxiety from know exactly what was going on. 

I did want to know what the prep was like and what to expect after - but the actual surgical procedure I left to the professionals. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've had a c section and will get another one this time. My doc office made me watch the videos, it's informative but made me scared to do this again. So if you like being in the dark like me, I say skip it if you can. 

We have two sleeping beauties in heaven.
    Jack gained his wings on 09/02/2016. 
    Kali gained her wings on 07/28/2015.
    They will be forever missed. <3
  • Options
    I think my son tolerated his swing for a grand total of 20 min in five different tries. So I would not register for a swing if I had to do it again. Other than that, everything we registered for we have used. Or that stupid piece of wood that goes around the changing pad on the top of the dresser. 

My big piece of advice - try different things. All babies are different and what works for someone's baby may not work for yours. So try something and it it doesn't work, move on. 

Also, I echo everything said about doing what you have to do to survive. Pacifiers, holding your baby, rocking your baby, nursing him/her to sleep. Do what you have to do! Chances are those "bad habits" won't really be as bad as you think. 

You cant spoil a newborn. Don't forget that. Cuddle that little smushy baby every chance you get. 

Don't feel like you have to let someone hold your baby. For the longest time, I thought I was keeping my baby from family etc when I really wanted to hold him at that moment and I would hand him over to make that person happy. You don't have to do this. 

if you are BFing and your baby has a tongue tie-get that sucker clipped ASAP. It makes a world of difference. We went from so much pain and me dreading nursing to nursing for 10+ months. 
  • Options
    Some kids are just shitty sleepers, and you do what you have to do so that everyone gets sleep. The kid included. 
    YES!!! I really don't have a strong opinion on a lot of these "hot topics", but after 3 kids, all of which were shitty sleepers at some point, I've learned you just do what you have to do to get sleep! I've been extremely sleep deprived and it's NOT pretty for anyone! (Mostly not pretty for my husband because I become a crazy person after many nights of not sleeping;) Live and learn and do what works for you! Of course you have to be safe & be smart, and use good judgement...

I'm late to this party, but I also learned the hard way that my husband needed very direct and specific instructions. After my first we got that cleared up, lol. 
  • Options
    We will be transitioning to a 1-income (kind of), 1-SAHP household when this baby is born. Does anyone who is a SAHM or who has a SAHD have any tips on this transition? Habits that make your life easier, do's/don't do's, etc?
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    We will be transitioning to a 1-income (kind of), 1-SAHP household when this baby is born. Does anyone who is a SAHM or who has a SAHD have any tips on this transition? Habits that make your life easier, do's/don't do's, etc?
    I've always been a SAHM  so we never had to transition the income, but for us, with 1 income, it's super important we make an outline of where the money will need to go for the month. My husband gets paid weekly so it's easy for us to say, well we can spend extra now and make it up later, nope it always gets stressful. It's best when we stick close to the plan and spend the extra money when we actually have it. Also I'm a schedule person and so is my daughter. We both benefit well (which also affects the rest of the family because of our moods) to keep to a good schedule. My kids know what time we eat and what time I'll start supper. They know what time is bed, it helps keep everything smooth and from a bunch of nagging and whining.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kswiger06 Thanks for the tips! I'm definitely going to have to get back on the budget train. At the moment, we do an un-budget... basically first we save X, bills are Y, and whatever is left is fair game. 

Do the kids have trouble when varying from the schedule? I worry about working in flexibility and a schedule together. 
  • Options
    @kswiger06 Thanks for the tips! I'm definitely going to have to get back on the budget train. At the moment, we do an un-budget... basically first we save X, bills are Y, and whatever is left is fair game. 

Do the kids have trouble when varying from the schedule? I worry about working in flexibility and a schedule together. 
    DD sometimes did. She did best on a schedule, but if it needs to be flexible that day then just make do with what you're doing and try to stick to it as best as you can. For example, if we went out and missed her naptime, I would lay her down for a short one or something. She was very sleep-oriented though, so missing out on sleep turned her into a monster.

On top of budgeting, which was super important for us, I'd say know your limits & when you need a break. Being with a baby all day is exhausting at times and sometimes I just needed to back away & take a breather. Maybe you can during the day, or maybe once your SO gets back home. There were some days that I would dump DD in his arms as soon as he walked through the door & I would leave for a bit. Don't feel bad if you need to do that, everyone needs a break & it took me forever to wrap my head around that concept.
  • Options
    @Aussie45 You make a very good point. I am used to working full time, and on additional real estate jobs... but I've never had a job that you cannot walk away from if you really needed a break. 
  • Options
    Definitely make a budget and an outline of how much is coming in vs all the bills/necessities/extras. Plan your month accordingly. 
  • Options

My kids do ok for the most part of mixing up their routines, but eating and sleeping on schedule are super important. They are used to eating at 5 every night for supper so now if we are visiting family or out doing something else, by 5:30 they start saying how they are "starving" lol... and bed time is important just because they get grumpy or very weird and drive us crazy lol... bed time is more for the parents sanity :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Something that came up when chatting with my mom last night is that I am almost certainly going to have a big baby. I'm the only baby on either side in recently memory who was less than 9 pounds, and I was in the high-8's. My parents were Team Green, but ended up taking me home in the boy outfit because the girl one was already too small. From what I've read and seen here and heard from my IRL friends, if the baby is measuring on the big side doctors seem to freak out a bit and start worrying about inducing early, extra monitoring, etc. Did any of you STM+ run into this pressure? How did you handle it? Were family history or your size going in (I'm tall) taken into consideration at all?
    @Xstatic3333 my doctors kept telling me it was a big baby but never suggested taking me early. I did end up getting induced at 41 weeks, and still ended up with a c section because my daughter would not drop (doctors blamed the size - but who knows really). She was 22 3/4 inches long and 9 lbs 10 oz. she is the size of a 3 year old now at 21 months. 
    What angeltennis3 wrote was me exactly including the baby's measurements except mine let me go til I was literally just shy of 42 weeks before inducing and I ended up with the csection because I couldn't get him out (not because of his actual size but because of his head at 50cm.) There was no pressure whatsoever to induce early despite both H and I being taller than average plus the family history on both sides of large babies. 
  • Options
    AfKash said:
    Can you eat right after delivery or do they make you wait.  I imagine I'll be starving.  
    With the csections I remember I had to wait and wasn't too happy about it. Of course now I can't remember how long I actually had to. Once I was allowed to, I was restricted to only certain foods too (just at first.) 
  • Options
    @Jab3
    That makes sense with a c-section. Thank you.  

• Options

So much good advice here, ladies, you are life savers! I've been lurking on like every board to try to get all the information I can! I'm a FTM and we were not planning kids right now (as we just got engaged, oops) so I am overwhelmed in trying to learn everything there is in enough time! My main questions are, for now anyway:

I see a lot about breast feeding classes. Is it really common to have issues with either supply or latching or something else where I should go to these classes?

Alright ladies, what do I really need and what can I just forget about buying?

I don't know if this applies to any of you but, we have a "puppy". she's just over a year but she is a very high energy breed and has anxiety so she still acts very young. She is trained and I am very good about keeping her out of situations that would increase her anxiety. My questions are 1. How do I handle her with the baby? She has a fear of people mostly and she is so rambunctious, I worry for the safety of the baby. 2. How the heck am I going to handle a baby and this dog? If we are outside of the house, one of us needs to supervise her at all times pretty much. Are we ever going to sleep or relax again?

So much good advice here, ladies, you are life savers! I've been lurking on like every board to try to get all the information I can! I'm a FTM and we were not planning kids right now (as we just got engaged, oops) so I am overwhelmed in trying to learn everything there is in enough time! My main questions are, for now anyway:

I see a lot about breast feeding classes. Is it really common to have issues with either supply or latching or something else where I should go to these classes?

Alright ladies, what do I really need and what can I just forget about buying?

I don't know if this applies to any of you but, we have a "puppy". she's just over a year but she is a very high energy breed and has anxiety so she still acts very young. She is trained and I am very good about keeping her out of situations that would increase her anxiety. My questions are 1. How do I handle her with the baby? She has a fear of people mostly and she is so rambunctious, I worry for the safety of the baby. 2. How the heck am I going to handle a baby and this dog? If we are outside of the house, one of us needs to supervise her at all times pretty much. Are we ever going to sleep or relax again?

Congrats on your engagement :) I actually had issues with oversupply which sounds like a joke but is not because it can make it very tough for the baby when the letdown happens so fast and the baby is literally choking and gagging trying to keep up with how fast and how much milk is coming out. I didn't really make use of an LC and didn't take classes though, I just kinda figured it out over time (but with my DS it got to the point where he only wanted bottles so I started having to pump all the time.) One trick I did learn from the hospitals LC was to rub my own milk on my nipples when they started feeling sore. 

I agree with others on not needing things like a nursery bedding set, a diaper genie, a ton of toys, etc. I also never used baby shoes. Mine never wore shoes until they actually started walking. I liked the baby bath tubs, having a nice diaper bag and the monitor. The other stuff like swings and bouncers it's tough to predict. I've had one love certain things that the other couldn't stand. It really does depend on the baby. 

With the dog, you could "practice" with either a doll or a real baby if one is available lol and also to gain a sense of how she might react. Bring home something like a hat or blankie with the baby's scent on it for her to smell prior to baby's arrival home. We even used to play loud recordings of a baby crying to attempt to get ours used to the noise. Also, she might get protective over the baby (not around you guys but others) especially if she fears others to begin with. Another thing is to try and get the dog out as much as possible so she's hopefully more relaxed at home and feeling her best from the extra attention/release of energy. My H was really good about this because I physically couldn't handle it. Good luck!
  • Options
    Bdesterhouse and scifichick09 (and anyone else I instilled fear into) please don't worry about the left side laying/not crossing ankles stuff. I SUCK at doing both, always have and still do, yet everything was fine anyway. It's just something I try to be aware of and fix when I can. I think in the grand scheme of things (barring any severe medical issues) it's really NBD. 

Another one I thought of is for those who have people telling them they're somehow causing their baby to be fussy and tough to calm down, it's 9 times out of 10 more than likely nothing you're doing wrong. I didn't experience this personally, but a friend of mine did and she was devastated by it. She was and still is a great mom, her baby was just not content most of the time, but she did everything she could to the best of her ability. Every baby is different and has their own little personality. I did notice a definite difference in my own kids (and still do!) when I felt calmer or more at ease vs feeling stressed because it's almost like they can sense the vibe. Ultimately though, there's only so much you can do to control that sometimes and you just do what you can. 
  • Options
    Yuck, sorry for the double quote, wtf.
  • Options
    @Jab3 Thank you! We are very excited about all these big life milestones....at once haha :)! I think I'll go to the BF "open discussion" at my hospital because it's free. Just to hear what they have to say about everything even though it is so hard to predict. As for the stuff - thanks everyone! WE will probably end up with a swing or bouncer but a lot of our bedding and stuff will be handed down from my fiancé's sisters. Yep that is our plan with the pooch - tire her out as much as we can. Right now she gets a half an hour walk, and hour of hard play and 15 minutes of brain games everyday and sometimes she is still a pain. She goes to doggie daycare twice a week though and that helps a lot. Hopefully my fiancé is willing to brave the cold and take her out when I can't handle them both haha!
  • Options
    Just realized I was 150+ posts behind on this thread...read through them all and copied some responses into a google doc for future reference/reminders. Thank you everyone for the wealth of knowledge...other than the camaraderie, this is exactly why I'm on here! 

My question for STM: Any thoughts on not getting a true stroller? We live in the country and don't "walk around the city." I've considered a jogger since I do run/walk on the paved roads around here. However, for walking around stores/going to events, I expect the baby will be in a cart or worn...and I struggle to see when I'll exactly need a non-jogger stroller. 
  • Options
    Just realized I was 150+ posts behind on this thread...read through them all and copied some responses into a google doc for future reference/reminders. Thank you everyone for the wealth of knowledge...other than the camaraderie, this is exactly why I'm on here! 

My question for STM: Any thoughts on not getting a true stroller? We live in the country and don't "walk around the city." I've considered a jogger since I do run/walk on the paved roads around here. However, for walking around stores/going to events, I expect the baby will be in a cart or worn...and I struggle to see when I'll exactly need a non-jogger stroller. 
    We go to a lot of outdoor events and my parents place is a rock driveway. I recommend a jogging stroller. The normal wheeled strollers are horrible on gravel and always messed up for us when we'd go to outdoor events.

We have two sleeping beauties in heaven.
    Jack gained his wings on 09/02/2016. 
    Kali gained her wings on 07/28/2015.
    They will be forever missed. <3
  • Options
    @patience7150  I'm struggling with what to do now that I'm going to have two... In the beginning since your baby will be sleeping a lot, it's really nice to be able to simply take the car seat out of the car and click it into a stroller so you don't have to wake them when getting to the grocery store, restaurant, friends house etc. You can get a jogging stroller with an adapter so you still have the option to click the car seat in the beginning. Later on you could always get a cheap umbrella stroller for occasions where you need something lightweight or to travel with. 
  • Options
    Following on the stroller discussion what about double jogging strollers? Have any of you used Phil and teds? The inline jogger? Does it maneuver well? Worth the money? I just can't imagine being able to push around a huge double jogger everywhere. Can it be done without having to move all sorts of stuff out of the way?
  • Options
    Double side by side joggers should be designed to be no wider than a wheelchair.  So doorways, aisles, anywhere that is wheelchair friendly should be fine.   Shopping at Kohls, or trying to get through other areas like that was tough.   It actually made me very mad for people that were in wheelchairs, because if I couldn't get through, how could they?   

Every twin mom I knew preferred a side by side.  They maneuver so much better than a front to back and you can see both kids easily and they can see out.

@Patience7150 I would say you can skip the regular stroller and get a jogger.   Some of them will have a car seat adapter. The other thing you can do is get a snap and go frame.   Those are great for times you don't want to get the baby out of the car seat, and you can usually find them cheap at baby resale stores. 
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker