February 2017 Moms
Options

Ask a STM 8/3

Got questions about pregnancy, labor/delivery, baby gear, and beyond? 

Ask away!

Re: Ask a STM 8/3

• Options
    Kind of a broad question to start things off, but what is your #1 piece of advice for a FTM (whether it be for pregnancy or once the baby comes)?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    A TMI question: did you take measures to avoid tearing? Lotion? Oil? Is it even possible? 
    Married: 2011
    TTC #1: 3/2016
    Me 39 - DH 44
    BFP 5/27/16 EDD 1/30/17
    DD born 2/3/17
  • Options
    @Vastra - Now, this is something to discuss with your provider, but I do Evening Primrose Oil, inserted vaginally, around 37 weeks. This helps soften the cervix. I am not sure if there is evidence for it to prevent tearing, but it certainly won't hurt! The biggest things to prevent tearing are positioning and slowing down your pushing when crowning. A lot of provider will do a perineal massage for you during pushing, actually. Most you do not need to ask- they just do!

<3 DD1- Aug11 <3o:) Angel Baby- June13, said goodbye Oct12 o:)<3 DD2- Aug13 <3<3 DD3- due Feb17 <3

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    lfrank12 said:
    Kind of a broad question to start things off, but what is your #1 piece of advice for a FTM (whether it be for pregnancy or once the baby comes)?
    We all think we are screwing it up. Being a mom is brutal hard. Mom guilt is real. Be kind to yourself. 
    So much this. 

• Options
    @vastra if I remember correctly, my OB suggested last time to do perinal massages or something like that? I didn't end up doing it and tore but have no idea the success rate.
  • Options
    Gear question for moms of two already and for those preparing for their second, what are you doing about this? 

We we currently have a single BoB running stroller and an almost two year old, do I need a double stroller ? I found having the travel system in the early days was fantastic so I want to be able to click in to a stroller in the beginning. Do I sell the single for a double? 
  • Options
    My biggest piece of advice, which is going to sound stupid, is make your SO help IMMEDIATELY! I didn't. Nothing changed for him, I was up every night and with DD all day when I was on ML, H would come home and go straight to the mancave and not be seen again. At first I thought, I'm on ML, he has to get up for work, whatever... But I slowly started to resent him for never helping. Once I went back to work, he freaked out because I leave for work earlier and he had to get DD ready and drop her at daycare. Obviously since he had never helped he had no idea what to do and she just wanted me. She's 14mo now and still rarely says Dada but literally constantly says Mama and always wants me...

So yeah... Make him help, make him be involved! Even if it's just sitting up with you when you're feeding the LO in the middle of the night.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I have a question - did any of you do the 12 week Bradley course? I would very much like to deliver med-free, and this seems to be the best course offering in my area. If not Bradley, any other suggestions on going without meds?
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    My biggest advice is to be honest with what you need. Don't be too proud to ask for help if you need it. Postpardum is a real thing and it's nothing to be ashamed of. I would also look into meal prepping to make coming home less stressful. Don't be afraid to kick people out so you can have some alone time as a family. It's stressful, exciting, and all around busy time and you'll be exhausted when you go home - the last thing you need to do is entertain people so if you don't feel like having people over then don't. Another big piece of advice is DO NOT ASSUME your spouse can read your mind or will automatically know what is needed. Men are clueless and to avoid frustration, be direct and straight forward with what you expect or need from them. 

We have two sleeping beauties in heaven.
    Jack gained his wings on 09/02/2016. 
    Kali gained her wings on 07/28/2015.
    They will be forever missed. <3
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Vastra said:
    A TMI question: did you take measures to avoid tearing? Lotion? Oil? Is it even possible? 
    My doc did some kind of massage with baby shampoo or something.. I didn't ask for it bc I didn't really know what to expect, but he just did it anyways. 
  • Options

homemake said:
    Gear question for moms of two already and for those preparing for their second, what are you doing about this? 

We we currently have a single BoB running stroller and an almost two year old, do I need a double stroller ? I found having the travel system in the early days was fantastic so I want to be able to click in to a stroller in the beginning. Do I sell the single for a double? 
    My sister is giving us a hand me down double stroller. I honestly don't even think we will use it that often as DD barely needs it now except for super long outings. I would say try to find a cheap one on CL or from a friend and not spend a ton on it. 
  • Options
    Ryder0406 said:
    My biggest piece of advice, which is going to sound stupid, is make your SO help IMMEDIATELY! I didn't. Nothing changed for him, I was up every night and with DD all day when I was on ML, H would come home and go straight to the mancave and not be seen again. At first I thought, I'm on ML, he has to get up for work, whatever... But I slowly started to resent him for never helping. Once I went back to work, he freaked out because I leave for work earlier and he had to get DD ready and drop her at daycare. Obviously since he had never helped he had no idea what to do and she just wanted me. She's 14mo now and still rarely says Dada but literally constantly says Mama and always wants me...

So yeah... Make him help, make him be involved! Even if it's just sitting up with you when you're feeding the LO in the middle of the night.
    I agree with most of this, except the sitting up with you while feeding. 
    Why on earth would he need to do that? That sounds.... spiteful. No need for both of you to miss out on sleep. 
  • Options
    lfrank12 said:
    There is always a last for everything and you never know when it will be. There will be a last day of holding and rocking them and you just need to enjoy the moments when you can. 
    The bolded is so true.  When DS was little, I was always looking forward to the next milestone that I didn't even stop to think about how much I'd miss the previous stage.  I do remember the last time I BF him and I wish I would have taken more photos.  

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • Options
    Partyof6? said:
    Don't be afraid to ask for help!  Be prepared to tell your husband and other helpers exactly what you need.   Stock up on pads.  Sending your husband to get them after delivery is funny, but frustrating.   Better yet if you have a mom or sister that can do this job, let them!   
    Do whatever it takes to get everyone sleeping.   Everyone is going to have an opinion but figure out what works for you.   

If you plan to breastfeed, find resources before delivery that can help you, and don't be afraid to use them.   For me, there is a lactation consultant who runs groups and does consults that is a 35-40 minute drive, but worth her weight in gold.  My youngest never had an issue, but my twins were problem nursers.  I am pretty sure later on, we'll have a whole thread on this.

And yes, be kind to yourself.   You are doing the best you can.   Oh, and here's another big, big, big elephant in the room one.   Watch for signs of PPD, tell your husband, mother, sister in law, best friend to watch you too.   For me, I didn't let myself be diagnosed for way too long after my twins.   If you need help, get it.  My zoloft baby was my happiest baby, and she had the happiest mama.  You did not fail, there is not something wrong with you.   

Omg yes to the last one. and not just PPD. Being a mom comes with an inherent amount of anxiety. Even the most chill woman is going to have anxious "am I doing this right?!" Moments. But post partum anxiety is when it goes beyond that. I tortured myself from February 2012 (my first born) until October 2012 before finally admitting that my level of anxiety wasn't ok. And within a few weeks of being treated for PPA, I felt that magical bonding,  happy new parent feeling I so desperately wanted but couldn't find in the haze of anxiety. There is no shame in dealing with these issues. You and baby will be so much better off if you recognize it and get help asap.
  • Options
    I do think it all goes by so quickly. I tried not to wish away any moments because I knew I would miss many of them. That being said, they won't all be great moments. Being overly tired with a grumpy, crying baby is not fun. It's ok if you don't enjoy every moment. It's ok if you do wish some moments would hurry and pass. 

I think others have given great advice. Go easy on yourself, we all will make mistakes or do things differently then planned or decide we want to do what we never thought we would. We grow, learn, change and do the best we can at the time. 

Be aware of what to look for as far as post partum depression or anxiety but also have those close to you also aware of what to look for. Sometimes it's harder to recognize when you are going through it. (Even when you have been through it before and even when you know what to expect) 

Be open with your needs and wants. Even if you feel your partner should know, just tell them. 

• Options
    @lfrank12 yes piggybacking on other responses! Def enjoy every moment!! BF would take like 40 mins every 2hours when DD was a newborn and I woud be so drained. but I didn't cherish it as much as I should have! DD is 15months now. 

• Options
    During labour/delivery be open. Stick to what you want and have a support person help ensure you aren't pushed in to anything but don't feel badly if you do change your mind. A med-free birth is possible but there is nothing wrong with choosing meds. Med-free or not it is ok. 

Your birth experience is yours. If you decide meds are part of that, it is ok and there is nothing less special or less amazing about a birth using pain meds or needing an intervention. You can't fail at any of this no matter what happens. It isn't a test.

• Options
    As far as middle of the night feedings went, my hubby usually was in charge of fetch the baby and change the diaper, then go back to sleep while I nurse.  

Also, when baby is a bit bigger and if you are comfortable with it, nursing laying down rocks.   
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

homemake said:

My sister is giving us a hand me down double stroller. I honestly don't even think we will use it that often as DD barely needs it now except for super long outings. I would say try to find a cheap one on CL or from a friend and not spend a ton on it. 
    I am looking into the sit-to-stand strollers because the double stroller just seems like too much of a pita! DD usually walks, but for trips to the zoo we definetly need a stroller option. 

I dont see a problem with using the click connect system we already have for short outings because I will also have the option to wear the baby and let DD use the stroller if need be.  

• Options
    Best advice would be just try to be okay with things going sideways... 

it's okay! You will get a routine down and before you know it, you will be offering advice to friends/family :) 

• Options
    @gingersnap heck yeh! Even during the day Iwould forget that one of the girls was hanging out and walk around the house like that before I realized. oooooooops.
  • Options
    @gingersnap I'm picturing myself kicking my husband out of bed so the baby and I can have it all to ourselves. LOL. J/k. but side nursing sounds awesome!

• Options
    I thought I needed so much stuff and it ended up that I just really didn't. I know buying stuff is fun and some things end up really coming in handy, but try to keep it simple because it can get overwhelming and expensive very quickly. 
  • Options
    Side nursing and bed sharing was the only way I got any sleep. 
    I would sleep topless, open bar style, and she would nurse as she pleased. You will be amazed at their ability to wiggle and find the nip, even when they are tiny.
    i've got the leakiest boobs that ever existed and had to sleep on towels even with pads on and changed them periodically through the night. 

if you find yourself in this situation don't wear grey shirts outside the house for a long time.  just stick with black.