July 2016 Moms
Options

Postpartum Health & Fitness

Re: Postpartum Health & Fitness

• Options
    erin7264 said:
    Well, I took the stroller out for a test drive today and definitely overdid it! We live in the country, so it's not like I can walk around the block and I wasn't in the mood to load everything up in the car to go to a park, so we went down the road. Probably walked 2 miles total and OH the pelvic pain!  

I am happy with how my baby weight loss is progressing - hopefully another week or two and I'll be back to pre-baby weight, which I was worried about since I gained a solid 50lb. The incision from my tubal is healing well and my belly button is receding, but I know it will take a while for my belly skin to lose the flabby pooch. My biggest struggle is the muffin top look that it gets when I wear real pants, it makes me very self conscious. 

Mentally, I want to do so much more than I am capable of physically right now! 
    So much this!! 
  • Options
    I'm really wanting to get back to my pilates! I'm 3 1/2 weeks PP but the bleeding still hasn'y stopped, and my hips still feel weird if I am on my feet too long. I'd feel so much better if I could get back to my old routine, and really want to get started on this dumb pooch that's leftover. Until then, I'll just try to be patient! Anybody have any workouts they'd recommend to target that belly flab?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @schaze is it just loose skin/fat or do you have a bit of a tummy pooch still? If you are certain you don't have diastasis recti you could probably do some light ab work, but maybe put a call in to your midwife/OB first to check?  Mine didn't give me any directions besides no sex, no tampons, no lifting over 10lb (yeah right, I had a 9.5lb baby!) and they recommended not driving for 2 weeks (ignoring that one too, hub went back to work 2 days after I was released). BUT, I did also have a tubal ligation the day after delivery so my situation is probably slightly different. 

I am trying to do easy exercises that indirectly strengthen my core, squats and pelvic lifts and such, until my PP appointment (on the 9th, should be about 4 weeks PP).
  • Options
    3 days pp and I still look about 5 months pregnant. I know it takes time for the ute to shrink back up but damn....I don't remember having this much of a pp pooch with DS1...I have my work cut out for me!
  • Options
    @erin7264 it seems like it's just extra skin/fat. Is there a way to know if you have diastasis recti? Thanks for the tips!
  • Options
    Are any of you counting calories? I started keeping track of my calories but I am unsure of how many I should be taking in. Pp I was on a 1600 cal diet, but that is clearly not enough now. I have read that I should be taking in an extra 300-500 cals, but is that on a 2000 cal diet? Or should I do what I'm used to and add 300-500 cals to my normal 1600 cal diet? So confusing!! 
  • Options
    Does anyone know of a calorie/ fitness app or tracker that let's you identify as breastfeeding? I use my fitness pal and a fitbit and I feel like nursing adds another aspect to the trackers (ie Burn more calories/ eat more). Or like @arhodes6, how many calories should I be tweaking on the app? 

I don't plan on following it strictly but it would be nice to have an idea of where I'm at, health wise. 
  • Options
    @jennyleigh16  I did weight watchers years ago and I know you could put that you were breastfeeding in with your calculations. As far as calories, my midwife told me about 600 a day. 
  • Options
    @arhodes6 As much as I want to work out I'm not going to until at least 6 weeks and then have decided to ease back until 12 weeks. Calorie counting is going to be my focus too! Are you using my fitness pal? It allows you to set calories to whatever you want. I've heard add 500 for nursing. For 1lbs loss per week it wants me at 1260cals daily. I'm thinking of trying to do between 1400-1800 daily with macros being the focus- trying to keep sugar low and protein high. If my milk supply lets up I'll increase it but so far so good! PM me your MFP username if you want bump friends there- I've added a few ladies already! Great to have other new moms to commiserate with there!
  • Options
    I've been itching to work out again too! As far as post partum goes I feel pretty good but I have this god awful viral infection so I haven't even been able to walk. We even just bought a new stroller so I can walk before it gets hot but I just haven't felt io too it! I'm going to wait until my 6 week check up before I get back to the workouts I did prior to pregnancy though. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @PootsDragon I have never used My Fitness Pal but I'm going to start it this weekend! Great idea having mom support on the app! Thanks! 
  • Options
    I want to be able to do some more walking and exercises but with 3 episiotomies and only 2 weeks post pregnancy I've been told to sit and rest still.  :(
  • Options
    @thepen15ismighty Yes! I bought a pair of pants 2 sizes up and it says they have "lift and tuck technology". It hides my pooch really well. I feel kind of like a normal person again. Except I smell like milk all the time. 
  • Options
    I'm frustrated with weight loss. I only lost about half the weight I put on, and now the scale seems to just be stalled with 20 pounds to go. I'm trying to be kind to myself and not sweat it, but it's irritating when everyone tells you that the weight will just fall off when you breastfeed. Not true, at least not in my case! I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that this pooch may just be here until she weans, unfortunately. I've been walking but am waiting for my doctor's clearance until I start running and boot-camping again.
    July BMB Siggy Challenge: Weird Hot Dog Situations
  • Options
    I know it's really early to worry about this as LO is 3 days old, but I am pretty down about my weight since it looks to be working out totally differently than last time. I gained the exact same number of pounds as I did last pregnancy and when I was discharged, I had already lost over 20 pounds first time around. Now I've only lost a grand total of 10! Baby was about 7 at birth, how is that possible? Even trying on my "fat" clothes, it is obvious I have gained a lot of weight everywhere and have a lot of work to do if I want anything close to the body I had before.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @whataboutscience I am in the same position as you! I gained quite a bit of weight even though I worked out until it was uncomfortable and at that point I walked 2 miles a day until I gave birth. I lost 12 lbs at first and have been stuck there for 3 weeks. Everyone kept saying the weight would just fall off and it's not! I think it will take me actually working out to lose this weight. I was hoping to lose about half before I started working out but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen. I have no clothes to wear, but I have no where to go right now so I guess it's not a huge deal 
  • Options
    rnyland1rnyland1 member
    edited July 2016
    @whataboutscience I'm experiencing the same thing as you...came home from the hospital only to have lost 12 lbs. but...they did also pump me full of fluids. My abdomen has not gone down as much as after I had DS1...I still look 5 months pregnant. Also yesterday I noticed I could finally see my feet again, meaning they were no longer swollen, but, I can't fit into any of my old shoes!!! Ugh I will be so mad if my feet stay this way :(
  • Options
    Thanks @joleri23 for the support! I just started using my fitness pal so hopefully I see some results from counting calories. I created a cardio exercise of "breastfeeding" burning 300 cals that I add to my daily calorie intake to make sure that I am eating enough! 

@rnyland1 I can't fit into any of my shoes either! I tried on my cowboy boots, which I LOVE, and they are so tight it hurt. My mom told me that her feet grew one size with each of her kids... I REALLY hope that isn't the case with me! I already have giant feet, I won't be able to find any cute shoes if my feet grow a size with each kid! I'll be wearing men's shoes because we want three kids.
  • Options
    @arhodes6 That's a really smart way to use the app. I used to count calories all the time, but I'm a little scared to BFing because I don't know what the right number would be for me. I do need to do something to get healthy again though. I started 20 pounds heavier than my last pregnancy and we might want a third. Don't want to follow that trend.

@rnyland1 The fluids make sense. I didn't even have an IV though, so I can't explain my lack of weight loss.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Anyone feel they did anything to help the post swelling go down faster? I am more swollen today than while pregnant. 
  • Options
    setoshsetosh member
    I was weighed a week before I had the LO and then yesterday at 3 days PP I weighed myself. It said I lost 4 lbs. I don't understand the math since he was 8 lbs and I had a tooon of amniotic fluid and blood loss. I know scales can be off but come on!!
  • Options
    rnyland1rnyland1 member
    edited July 2016
    @mrsmommya sorry but it took about 10 days for my swelling to go down. Doc said it can take even longer, like 2-3 weeks :(
  • Options
    @setosh I was the same way, I think I was only down 3 lbs almost a week later, which I thought was crazy!!!!! But I was on IV fluids for over 30 hours during labor, so I was super swollen for a while and probably retained tons of fluid. Don't worry, I'm 4 weeks PP and down 30 lbs, so it will start coming off as you recover! I stopped looking at the scale until I started to feel healed up. Just focus on your healing and your LO for now! :)
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    I reached my pre pregnancy weight after about 3 weeks but this stupid belly pouch still lingers. Idk when I'll have the time or motivation to work on it. I'm sure the 25 pounds I lost is solely attributed to stress. Hope I can kick it into gear real soon and at least start walking. 
  • Options
    What does one do to lose/tone the belly pouch? I have never been one to hit the gym and I feel so clueless when it comes to what I should be doing to help make this thing a little less sad looking.
  • Options
    holly142holly142 member
    edited July 2016
    @jjtruffles- with DD I ran/walked, did yoga, tried a few Barre classes (man those are a workout!) and did a few standing ab videos. 

Edited to add, when I say ran/walked I mean I ran until I couldn't breath and then walked. Lol. I am not a good runner but I figure a little bit is better than nothing!  Plus they say it's best to run in intervals ;) 
  • Options
    I'm two weeks PP...I'm wondering when is it ok to start doing some mild ab/core exercises? What have other ppl been doing? I'm starting to feel pretty good and walking a bit more and such so I'm hoping I can add in something else too.
  • Options
    @rnyland1 I had the same question, so I sent a message to my clinic. They advised me to wait until I see my OB at my 6 week appointment next week before starting anything like that. I'm really anxious to get back to my pilates though!
  • Options
    rnyland1 said:
    I'm two weeks PP...I'm wondering when is it ok to start doing some mild ab/core exercises? What have other ppl been doing? I'm starting to feel pretty good and walking a bit more and such so I'm hoping I can add in something else too.
    My OB also said to wait the full 6 weeks. I'm giving myself grace and letting my body heal even if I feel good. I have been walking and doing light yoga/stretches, but nothing more. As soon as I have my PP appointment I'll start working out and tracking my food. So I'm happily enjoying these last few weeks of "freedom". 
  • Options
    I'm counting down the days to 6 weeks, which is Sunday! I'm going to start running again with the C25k app, since I took nearly my whole pregnancy off. I'm also hoping to go back to boot camp for socializing and weights, but we'll see how willing DH is to watch her that often. He knows fitness is important to me, so we'll see! I've been tracking my calories for about a week. I started early because I didn't think I was getting enough. Sure enough, once I started eating more, my weight loss got going again (only a half-pound a week, but better than nothing!). 
    July BMB Siggy Challenge: Weird Hot Dog Situations
  • Options
    How long did you ladies bleed? I'm 13 days pp and still bleeding. It gets heavier if I speed walk. I guess that means I'm doing too much. I just want to get back to running so bad.
  • Options
    @hannahmp I'm with you. 15 days PP and still bleeding. It seemed to go away then came back :( 
    H. Foxe born October 22, 2013
  • Options
    @hannahmp I'm 5 weeks PP and I'm still occasionally bleeding. Sometimes it's brownish signaling I'm close to being done and other times it's bright red. Can't figure out what's going on but I go to the dr next week for my 6 week check up
  • Options
    @hannahmp  I bled for 3 weeks. It definitely tapered down and I didn't need heavy pads the whole time. I also had a c-section for what its worth.
  • Options
    @hannahmp I'll be 5 weeks PP tomorrow and most of the bleeding stopped by 3 weeks but there's still some here and there when I've been more active which my midwife said is totally normal and to be expected for awhile. I switched to liners as opposed to pads around 3 weeks as well because the pads were uncomfortable as hell. 
  • Options
    Thank you ladies. I had a lot of trauma around the birth of my last son and I seem to have mentally blocked the details. I was thinking this wasn't normal, but it probably is. I know last time I was good to go at 6 weeks and ran a 5k. There is hope!