May 2016 Moms
Options

Newborn Questions

Re: Newborn Questions

• Options
    @yogahh there's a leap according to Wonder Weeks around 5/6 weeks. Last week was looooong and Kasper basically refused to go anywhere that wasn't attached to me. Miraculously yesterday morning he napped everywhere I put him and sure enough the leap is over according to the app. I found the app fairly accurate last time too. It's helpful to mentally psych yourself up for what's to come. 
  • Options
    @yogahh I've been dealing with a fuss pants for days. She turns 6 weeks on Friday. I'm thinking this means she'll wake up on Friday as an angel. Prayer hands...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I haven't hit the 6 weeks with this baby but with my first I will never ever forget that 6 week growth spurt/cluster/wonder week. It was a welcome to parenthood initiation neither parent will forget.  
  • Options
    kbrands7 said:
    yogahh said:
    Harper is 5 weeks today...and a FUSS PANTS!!! I think there is a 5-6 week growth spurt? Anyone else have a super crabby ass 5 week old?
    It's a wonder week! https://www.thewonderweeks.com/mental-leap-1/
    Yes! Wonder weeks can be crazy. I distinctly remember leap number 8 or 9 with DD where I didn't know if it would ever end. It did :) 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I'm dreading said 5-6 week wonder week based on the above comments.... LO turns 5 weeks on Thursday. Glad I can mentally prepare now...!
  • Options
    Anyone else have a LO with an umbilical hernia?? What's your doc said about it??
    I do-- I just called and they said to make sure it doesn't get larger, seem to hurt him, or change colors. He is perfectly fine... He will just have an outie when it goes away (I think I read by 12 months?)
  • Options
    yogahhyogahh member
    Wonder week + gas= sad baby :( I think she's having stomach issues as well. Kinda funny, but just gave her a bath and she ripped farts the whole time 

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    I just went to a clinic for babies and oh my gosh my baby is 11 pounds! Six weeks old tomorrow and 11 pounds! No wonder he's always hungry this kid is gaining a pound a week :)
  • Options
    My LO is having gas issues as well. I can't figure out what I've eaten differently in the last couple of days. Twice today I've been changing her diaper, and she startled me with a fart. I've had her poop mid diaper change, but all this farting is new. I am going to keep the gripe water nearby - I haven't used it yet, but I'm on my own tonight, and I'm in survival mode.

It just adds to the confusion for me. I think she'd being fussy because it's a wonder week or a growth spurt. She's crying at the breast and wants to be right there with me - so much so she over eats. But then she's gassier than normal, so maybe it's not the dreaded growth spurt and just gas. Maybe it's all of the above. 
  • Options
    yogahh said:
    Wonder week + gas= sad baby :( I think she's having stomach issues as well. Kinda funny, but just gave her a bath and she ripped farts the whole time 
    I tell DD that she's creating the ultimate spa experience by adding bubbles to her bath when she does this. 
  • Options
    I haven't hit the 6 weeks with this baby but with my first I will never ever forget that 6 week growth spurt/cluster/wonder week. It was a welcome to parenthood initiation neither parent will forget.  
    Me neither! My husband was out of town for 2 weeks when it happened and he had finished up all his business but his flight wasn't for two more days. I walked around the house all night with the baby just furious thinking about how he was sleeping in a hotel room somewhere and at like 5:00 am I called him crying and asked him to switch his flight. Which, to his credit, he did :) He came home the next day and I pumped a bunch of milk and went and slept at his folks' house for a night. 
    This happened to me too! DH was out of town for 3 weeks from about 4-7 weeks for Army training. It was HELL. DD was difficult anyway, so I only ended up getting about an hour of sleep a night. 
  • Options
    yogahh said:
    JoMunson said:
    I just went to a clinic for babies and oh my gosh my baby is 11 pounds! Six weeks old tomorrow and 11 pounds! No wonder he's always hungry this kid is gaining a pound a week :)
    @yogahh I'm right there with you. This has been going on for the last couple of weeks for us. She just cried for 1.5hours all because of gas!! 

@JoMunson my LO is gaining 1lb per week as well. Basically I'm attributing all her fussiness to crazy growing 
  • Options
    MsIanMsIan member
    yogahh said:
    Harper is 5 weeks today...and a FUSS PANTS!!! I think there is a 5-6 week growth spurt? Anyone else have a super crabby ass 5 week old?
    Ugh. I do. Nate cried from 8pm until now. I'm PRAYING he is down for the night. He's in the car seat, with a paci, and my cell phone blaring white noise. It's been a rough night. He's 5 weeks yesterday.
  • Options
    I'm currently using Feed baby I like the notifications settings let's u set it as reminders to feed ur baby helpful during the day when my little one sleeps for hours.  I also  liked Baby Daybook 
  • Options
    CheerfulJCheerfulJ member
    edited June 2016
    I was hoping u ladies could help me...   How often are you bathing your little ones? Are you starting a nighttime routine that incorporates bath time? 
  • Options
    CheerfulJ said:
    I was hoping u ladies could help me...   How often are you bathing your little ones? Are you starting a nighttime routine that incorporates bath time? 
    I might be in the minority but I only bathe Ezra when he starts to smell like sour milk- maybe twice a week? He's six weeks old 
  • Options
    CheerfulJ said:
    Once a week is bath time for us, we do a whole song and dance. Warm up temp of the upper level to 74, set up new clothes and diaper, get towels and blankets ready, bottle to feed after to calm him, set up all materials needed for wash station in bathroom etc. Then we throw all the wash cloths and towels in the wash after because he usually pees on me before or after the bath. 

Otherwise, I just dab his face with a warm wash cloth of water every morning and baby wipe wherever he stinks until it's bath time again. So far, no rashes, just the usual baby acne and start of cradle cap.
  • Options
    I told DH about this question and he wanted me to let the ladies of the bump know that he did some research and there's a bit of a link it seems to frequent bathing of newborns and future skin problems. 
  • Options
    I bathe her every 3rd day. She's got dry and sensitive skin so anything more than that would not be favorable or her. It's not part of a routine either; We don't have one of those.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Options
    Those of you who have a rnp with a rocker/vibration mode: does your LO sleep better with or without using those options? I feel like half the time LO needs the rocker when we use it, and half the time it just wakes her up more. I haven't been using it long enough to tell, but I'm desperate for sleep and will do almost anything at this point. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Those of you who have a rnp with a rocker/vibration mode: does your LO sleep better with or without using those options? I feel like half the time LO needs the rocker when we use it, and half the time it just wakes her up more. I haven't been using it long enough to tell, but I'm desperate for sleep and will do almost anything at this point. 
    I religiously used the vibration mode when putting LO down to sleep. I figured that is what kept her asleep (until it shut off). However, tonight I did the crib for the first time and she slept just like she did in the RNP, so maybe it was all in my mind? I do think it soothed her, though I know sometimes if I turned it on mid-night that she would startle and stir more.
  • Options
    I'm with @aehogan90, every 3rd day is bath day for us unless something out of the ordinary happens (Ex: Yesterday when LO blew his diaper after his 2 month shots. ) 
  • Options
    yogahhyogahh member
    Harper loves baths and is calmed by them. We are doing almost every other day, but might make it daily if they are a magical calming power like it was last night

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    We are once a week bathers, Holly has sensitive skin. 
  • Options
    yogahh said:
    Harper loves baths and is calmed by them. We are doing almost every other day, but might make it daily if they are a magical calming power like it was last night
    We're doing daily baths before bed. Adeline loves the bath and it can actually stop her nightly screamfest, so we're rolling with it. Her skin is fine. We put lotion on after.

@JoMunson my mum bathed all 3 of her kids everyday. None of us have any skin problems. I'm a bit sensitive but only as I've gotten older. So to be honest I'm not worrying. Everything is linked to something bad if you look close enough!! 
  • Options
    jenl1681jenl1681 member
    edited June 2016
    Grayson loves baths! We were doing every other day, but he loves them and they calm him right down and make him sleep better so we started doing them everyday. I don't always wash his hair and give him a full scrub down though. 
  • Options
    We do daily baths, it's part of our nighttime routine. I was only putting soap in the bath every 2 nights but since she's had these dairy/soy sores I've stopped using any soap and she just chills in the warm water, she loves it. I take a washcloth with mild soap and wipe her neck and head down every few days since we havent been using soap.
  • Options
    We do baths every three days or so but in the meantime, I use the Mustela waterless cleanser to clean his face, neck and diaper area. He doesn't like baths much yet... 

• Options
    We bathe twice a week
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Options
    Once or twice a week works for us
  • Options
    MsIanMsIan member
    I can't tell either. Last night he only slept on me or in my bed. Sigh
  • Options
    Thank you ladies I've been bathing about once a week as well.  I've been giving her sponge baths due to her stump got the go ahead from Dr to bathe her but thought daily was a bit much she has some dry skin that's peeling as well.  Hopefully she likes full baths.  
  • Options
    @amberraysofdawn I'm pretty sure my baby likes the vibration more than the rocking. We actually had just a vibration rock n play, but bought an auto rock one when she was 2 weeks. She seemed to enjoy it then, but the vibration only is my go to for naps. I almost feel like the fast rocking is distracting/wakes her up. I found this out because the vibrate only rocker is easier to move around, so I brought it upstairs for her to nap while I showered one day. I can put her down in that almost asleep, and she usually will go to sleep. With the auto rocker, she has to be completely out to stay asleep with the auto rock on. I only use the slowest rock setting now. 
  • Options
    yogahh said:
    We're doing daily baths before bed. Adeline loves the bath and it can actually stop her nightly screamfest, so we're rolling with it. Her skin is fine. We put lotion on after.

@JoMunson my mum bathed all 3 of her kids everyday. None of us have any skin problems. I'm a bit sensitive but only as I've gotten older. So to be honest I'm not worrying. Everything is linked to something bad if you look close enough!! 
    So true! We're sort of using Ezra as an experiment since DH and I have very sensitive skin! We're avoiding as much as we can for him!
  • Options
    Corbin loves bathes so every other day with us. They calm him a lot so we've been trying to incorporate it better into his night time routine.
  • Options
    I bathe Gwendolen once or twice a week, or whenever she has a huge blowout. She hated baths at first but is ok with them now. (Thank you to whichever bumpie mentioned the warm-washcloth-on-the-belly trick! That changed everything!) I'll use a wipe or the Mustela cleanser on her face, bottom and stinky neck folds in between baths.

Re: the RNP question, Gwen loves the vibration so we always have it on. I don't have the auto-rock version, since I didn't know there was one. I ordered the RNP in a sleep-deprived haze of desperation when she refused to sleep on anything but me for the first 14 days. She would probably like it better if it rocked more but she'll sleep in it, so MOM WIN.
  • Options
    clw617clw617 member
    Merinmac said:
    I bathe Gwendolen once or twice a week, or whenever she has a huge blowout. She hated baths at first but is ok with them now. (Thank you to whichever bumpie mentioned the warm-washcloth-on-the-belly trick! That changed everything!) I'll use a wipe or the Mustela cleanser on her face, bottom and stinky neck folds in between baths.

Re: the RNP question, Gwen loves the vibration so we always have it on. I don't have the auto-rock version, since I didn't know there was one. I ordered the RNP in a sleep-deprived haze of desperation when she refused to sleep on anything but me for the first 14 days. She would probably like it better if it rocked more but she'll sleep in it, so MOM WIN.
    LOL That's exactly when I ordered mine. It arrives today! I'm not expecting miracles but I'm at least relieved to have a place to put him down for the night that might be more appealing to him than the bassinet.
  • Options
    kp90kp90 member
    We bathe every other night. Mila also enjoys bath time and it's nice to see her happy and clean at the same time! Tonight I may try putting her in the tub with me with the help of my SO... Just hope she doesn't do any business while in the tub with me!