May 2016 Moms
Options

**The Everything Random Thread for May 2016**

Re: **The Everything Random Thread for May 2016**

• Options
    Bltbear82 said:
    How many pieces of cake is too many?
    That cake is amazing! Please tell me it tasted as good as it looks!

Also, are those cannoli shells in the background? Do you make your own cannolis?! 
    It was delicious, @LadySamLadyboth slices! And yes those are cannoli shells, but I definitely didn't make them. We were at our favorite neighborhood restaurant so they let me run into the kitchen once I realized I forgot to take a picture before they cut it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    yogahh said:
    Urg DH is laying on the couch sick watching Food Network. Some show about donuts. Dude does not understand he cannot have this on the TV right now...why? Because now I want a freaking donut! Its not enough that I have 3 containers of Talenti in the freezer I guess...
    Oh no!

Giant Eagle was trying to tempt me today with donuts and everything sweet-- donuts, strudels, cookies, basically the entire bakery prepackaged supply was buy one get one free. I started loading up my cart, then saw how ridiculous it looked and put it all back except for the strudel. Ice cream was buy one get one too. Sigh. You just can't pass some deals up. :)
  • Options
    My MIL and BIL came up about two hours ago and let's just say I'm not a huge fan of my MIL. DH and BIL are playing video games so it's just me and MIL who is showing me all these random baby pictures of DH she has saved to her phone and pictures of people I don't know from her phone. It may only be 7:30 but I'm ready for bed and need to find a nice way of kicking them out, so far my many yawns has not done anything 
  • Options
    VS2016VS2016 member
    edited March 2016
    dshannah said:

VS2016 said:
    Anyone else stuck renting and feel like they are never going to be able to buy a house??  I have a very nice two bedroom apartment but we are about to become a family of four when this baby arrives.  I really want to buy a house, but have zero money for a down payment.  :(
    DH and I are renting for the next few years: we're moving for my job but we can't buy a house until he gets one too and we know, geographically, where we can live. Also, no clue how we're going to save up for a down payment when we've got student loans yet.  So it might be a while.

But!  The horrible thing is that, in the area we are moving to, it is *SO MUCH CHEAPER* to buy than to rent!!!!  If you pay a mortgage, even with a 10% down payment, you are looking at ~$800-$1200/month.  To rent? $1900/month for anything nicer than a roach motel. How on earth can you pay those rates and save anything??? We'll be making the median income for the area we live in but that will still be about 60 percent of our take-home pay, not even considering utilities.
    It is so frustrating how buying a house works!! Where I live it is about the same to buy as it is to rent so of course you want to buy! But like you said, both my husband and I have student loans along with our other bills I just don't see the math adding up for the down payment (and I'm a math teacher lol)  I guess I'm going to be a renter for life!! Lol 
  • Options
    NinnyJean said:
    My MIL and BIL came up about two hours ago and let's just say I'm not a huge fan of my MIL. DH and BIL are playing video games so it's just me and MIL who is showing me all these random baby pictures of DH she has saved to her phone and pictures of people I don't know from her phone. It may only be 7:30 but I'm ready for bed and need to find a nice way of kicking them out, so far my many yawns has not done anything 
    But this is the perk of pregnancy! You can be really rude and excuse yourself because of baby:) "I'm so sorry, but I'm just exhausted and I need to lie down!"
  • Options

I took a nap today as well. I was up so late because of bad heartburn, and was really crabby. I tried to fight it, but my husband made me. God bless him, that nap was glorious. I woke up and immediately requested cinnamon toast crunch. Haven't had it in 15 years - he is at the grocery store now. To be fair, he was already headed there to pick up an Italian sub from earlier posts - I blame you @ladysamlady.  I think he knows he just needs to keep me well fed - like the wild animals at the zoo.

CTC has been one of my cravings this pg. So weird bc I hadn't had it since I was a kid.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Options
    VS2016 said:
    Anyone else stuck renting and feel like they are never going to be able to buy a house??  I have a very nice two bedroom apartment but we are about to become a family of four when this baby arrives.  I really want to buy a house, but have zero money for a down payment.  :(
    Sometimes I think I'm crazy for owning. Large items usually break in 3's in my house and I always wish in those times we were renters so we weren't responsible for replacing the stuff lol
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Options
    nerdymama15nerdymama15 member
    edited March 2016
    Three things:
    In regards to alcohol, I really want a Dos Equis after delivery.  I don't know what it is about that particular drink, but since I have been pregnant I have LOVED smelling it whenever my DH drinks it.  It sounds weird, but I will literally steal his beer bottle just to smell it and wish I could have more than just a teeny tiny sip.  That's been more like three teeny tiny sips the entire pregnancy.  We aren't heavy drinkers.  I wonder how hard it will be to sneak an ice cold Dos Equis into the hospital room lol

Second thing, I wish they made a Nose Frida for adults.  I know it sounds gross, but if you are like me and stay stuffed up all the time, but not enough to move anything from your nose by blowing, it seems like a good idea to me.   Netty Pots etc do not work.  The water gets stuck and does not go out the other side. 

Third, I am addicted to jellybeans (this is a lifelong addiction).   I need jellybeans, I want jellybeans, but I am not supposed to eat a lot of sugary stuff at the moment.  Aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!  I've failed a couple times already though.

Four, (I know I said three earlier, but had to add one), The nursery is the only room in the house that has not had a dog in it to get dog fur in it.  I had wanted to keep it that way.  Then the other night our dog that sheds the most fur got in there and I threw a fit.  DH just sat there like whatever, while I had a meltdown.  You seriously do not understand the amount of fur this dog produces!  Not even counting our other two dogs which shed bad also, but not as bad as him.  So anyway I blurted out to DH, you don't understand he caused the room to lose its furginity.  (rhyme it with virginity, but fur instead of vir).  DH then lost it and started laughing.

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • Options
    Thank you to those who answered my weird Breastmilk+alcohol question! I'm not even a big drinker since it can trigger migraines for me but after pretty much back to back pregnancies (one loss and this one) and looking at another two to three back to back pregnancies (if we're lucky) and being so fastidious about alcohol im really excited about having just one ice cold blue moon with a lemon slice.
  • Options
    Three things:
    In regards to alcohol, I really want a Dos Equis after delivery.  I don't know what it is about that particular drink, but since I have been pregnant I have LOVED smelling it whenever my DH drinks it.  It sounds weird, but I will literally steal his beer bottle just to smell it and wish I could have more than just a teeny tiny sip.  That's been more like three teeny tiny sips the entire pregnancy.  We aren't heavy drinkers.  I wonder how hard it will be to sneak an ice cold Dos Equis into the hospital room lol
    I've already picked my drink as well... I forget the name exactly, but it's this amazing chocolate nitro stout. It was actually the last drink I had before I found out I was pregnant. It's so good though. It reminds me of chocolate milk. And dark beers are supposed to be good for milk supply... So there's that. :wink: If I have the baby at the birthing center I won't be there very long after so I've already decided to have mine at home though. Plus DH is being a wimp about trying to sneak it in anyway.

My dad and step-mom have also said they're going to buy us a nice bottle of champagne to celebrate, but they probably won't be there right away so I'll have to wait on that too.

• Options
    All this alcohol talk has me thirsty. I am torn between wanting a beer (maybe a Stella or a Vanilla Porter), a nice Riesling, or a Not Your Fathers Root Beer after dlvy... Would it be wrong to request all 3?

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    arj14 said:
    Any recommendations on baby swings?  All the ones I saw online at Target either weren't rated very well, were more expensive than I'm comfortable with, or not available online or in stock at a store within 20+ miles.  Lucie's List only had a couple suggestions.

(We were going to be getting a used one from SIL,  but unfortunately it broke. :( )
    I just registered for ours. I decided on the Rockaroo primarily because of these two reasons:
    1) It was listed as one to look at from Consumer Reports (they don't "test" swings, but the 4Moms brand was listed as a good brand in CR's buying guide) and;
    2) It is SO MUCH SMALLER than a regular swing. Those things are huge. WE have a big open layout so we can actually accommodate a swing, but still, they seem rather big. 

So...that's what we went with FWIW
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Options
    CharissadeatsCharissadeats member
    edited March 2016
    I am having a really stressful and crappy day. 

Family drama is non-stop at the moment. I just want to have my baby and have people leave me be.

Money is truly the root of all evil. 

Edit: because I posted before I was sure what I wanted to say and maybe it was going to be too personal. Meh.
  • Options
    yogahh said:
    All this alcohol talk has me thirsty. I am torn between wanting a beer (maybe a Stella or a Vanilla Porter), a nice Riesling, or a Not Your Fathers Root Beer after dlvy... Would it be wrong to request all 3?
    I forgot about Not Your Fathers Root Beer! Ugh. Now I want that too. And I personally see nothing wrong with requesting all 3. :wink: 
  • Options
    dsmith211 said:
    Three things:
    I've already picked my drink as well... I forget the name exactly, but it's this amazing chocolate nitro stout. It was actually the last drink I had before I found out I was pregnant. It's so good though. It reminds me of chocolate milk. And dark beers are supposed to be good for milk supply... So there's that. :wink: If I have the baby at the birthing center I won't be there very long after so I've already decided to have mine at home though. Plus DH is being a wimp about trying to sneak it in anyway.

My dad and step-mom have also said they're going to buy us a nice bottle of champagne to celebrate, but they probably won't be there right away so I'll have to wait on that too.

I am totally on board with the increased milk supply. There is this incredible microbrewery that does a fantastic oatmeal stout with hints of cinnamon and clove (basically like an alcoholic oatmeal cookie in a glass...yummm!) so I figure between the dark beer and the oatmeal one-two punch, it is basically required drinking while BFing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    yogahh said:

I am looking forward to having a Not Your Father's after delivery. Maybe as a root beer float. Mmmmm!

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • Options
    Ok a few random thoughts:

1. I really want to delve more into MH's childhood because he makes reference to things I have no association with. Granted, he is 11 years older than me, but still I feel like I should have some familiarity with these things of which he speaks. Specifically, he has been going on and on about powdered milk and how we should buy it. He says he loved it as a kid and that was all they drank. I was thinking he meant like Nesquick or Ovaltine, but he was adamant that it is powder that you mix with water and get plain old milk-flavored milk. He liked it because he could add less powder than recommended to make it less milky because he doesn't like thick milk. He is weird. He also believes very strongly there was something called Country Club ice cream and has undertaken an epic quest to find some. Basically it was like Neopolitan (you know, vanilla-chocolate-strawberry) but with vanilla, coffee, and orange sherbet? That sounds grosser than gross, but anytime we go out for ice cream he ALWAYS orders a Country Club cone and no one knows what he is talking about so he sighs and says he wants three scoops, vanilla-coffee-orange sherbet. Is this real or has he been punking me our entire marriage? I must know!

2. I forgot #2.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @laurenmdrn16 I've never heard of Country Club ice cream and it sounds nasty, but your H isn't making it up according to Google:

• Options
    @js8812 NO FREAKING WAY!!!!!! Is that currently being made? If so, I am going right now and buying a million of those for MH (at least I know I won't be tempted to sneak some!)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @laurenmdrn16 I use powdered milk for baking, though I've never just drank it straight lol but I know you can!
  • Options
    My shower is a week away and my sister is just sending invites out today... We live two states apart and all of the people on the invite list obviously live near me and not her. I feel like this shouldn't stress me, but it does! Also, they are having it on a week night instead of a weekend bcuz the venue she picked isn't available on a convenient weekend for her, which is ok but a lot of my close friends live an hour away and are in a different time zone... So I'm kinda stressing and maybe it's just the hormones, idk
  • Options
    yogahh said:
    Dog vs bump. 

Do I see Fudge Stripes in the background???
    Ha! They're actually Keebler Chips Deluxe with Rainbow M&Ms...
  • Options
    @laurenmdrn16 powdered milk definitely exists it's just not as common these days I think partly because milk supply is so abundant. People often take it camping and things like that. It's also good for people who need to get in more calories that aren't eating well...just use more powder! I remember it as a kid but don't see it much these days. 
  • Options
    Ok a few random thoughts:

1. I really want to delve more into MH's childhood because he makes reference to things I have no association with. Granted, he is 11 years older than me, but still I feel like I should have some familiarity with these things of which he speaks. Specifically, he has been going on and on about powdered milk and how we should buy it. He says he loved it as a kid and that was all they drank. I was thinking he meant like Nesquick or Ovaltine, but he was adamant that it is powder that you mix with water and get plain old milk-flavored milk. He liked it because he could add less powder than recommended to make it less milky because he doesn't like thick milk. He is weird. He also believes very strongly there was something called Country Club ice cream and has undertaken an epic quest to find some. Basically it was like Neopolitan (you know, vanilla-chocolate-strawberry) but with vanilla, coffee, and orange sherbet? That sounds grosser than gross, but anytime we go out for ice cream he ALWAYS orders a Country Club cone and no one knows what he is talking about so he sighs and says he wants three scoops, vanilla-coffee-orange sherbet. Is this real or has he been punking me our entire marriage? I must know!

2. I forgot #2.
    I don't know if your husband is just idealizing his childhood, but powdered milk is NASTY. It's like water with chalk in it. My gramma had us try it to learn about the stuff she had to eat and drink during the war (thankfully we were spared powdered eggs!!).
  • Options
    Decided I didn't want to go to work today, so I'm still in bed and it's noon. Best decision! 
  • Options
    @Maybaby0519 I understand your stress. I would be too. I hope it all ends up working out!

• Options
    @laurenmdrn16  No idea!  I've definitely never seen that flavor here.  Trust me, I know the ice cream aisle well!
  • Options

I had TWO brownies at lunch, and I regret nothing!

Sorry @yogahh

Image result for green dog

Me: 30 DH: 32
    BFP #1: 9/12/2015
    DD: 6/1/2016
    BFP #2: 1/16/2018 MC 2/2/2018
  • Options
    After catching up on this thread, I decided I am getting cookies from Subway at lunch today. Done deal.
  • Options
    wsgjmw1 said:
    After catching up on this thread, I decided I am getting cookies from Subway at lunch today. Done deal.
    OMG those are the BEST!!!!!! Always warm and chewy

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    Spylon said:

I had TWO brownies at lunch, and I regret nothing!

Sorry @yogahh

Oh my goodness..now I'm contemplating walking to the bakery down the street and getting a brownie. But that would mean getting up and walking.

Which will win..laziness or hunger?
  • Options
    wsgjmw1 said:

I love their cookies!! I haven't had one in soooooo long.

• Options
    yogahh said:
    wsgjmw1 said:
    OMG those are the BEST!!!!!! Always warm and chewy
    YES!!!!!
  • Options
    yogahh said:
    If everyone can just stop bringing up cookies and ice cream, that would be great!
    This. I have my 3 hour glucose test tomorrow morning so I've been abstaining from sugary things for the past 3 days per the nurses instructions. When I went to get my lunch today it took all my strength not to get a cookie with it. I make no promises though once I get the OK to leave after my test tomorrow. :)
  • Options
    Sprinkles delivers cupcakes. Just in case I'm not the only lazy one...