Pregnant after 35

Random Thoughts Thread

How do you all feel about a random thoughts thread? We have one on my BMB, but I more often have random thoughts I'd like to share with you all.  If you're game for trying it out, let's see how it goes!

My random thought: we ended up coming to the in-laws this weekend since I have work to do and DH was thinking help with LO would be nice.  So I am holed up in their office working away (mostly) and I have the window open because the weather is nice.  About an hour ago, someone grilled burgers or something and the smell is both SOOOOO appealing to me and also making me want to throw up.  How is that even possible?!  

Anyway.  That's my life right now. Back to work. Boo.

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

• Love it!

I've taken an afternoon nap almost every day this week! I'll feel bad for a minute for being so lazy, and then I remember this will probably be the last time in my life I can just laze about the house...and poof I don't feel so bad anymore. 

Also I have to write a food diary for 2 weeks for my midwife and I might of left off the fries I had on thurs night and the small bag of cheetos i had today. I did however write down the cake i had on Monday night. Evens out? I might crumble under the pressure and fes up after all. Gack! 

• @Sporty1216 yum, I love the smell of a good grill! I definitely understand the smells-good-yet-bad conundrum, I had it early on. Now I'm just a ravenous lunatic and want to eat everything in sight!

@createillumination I'm so glad I don't have to do a food diary...mine would be embarrassing! 

My randomness is I finally found a dress for my baby shower next weekend (Nordstrom rack for the win! It's not even maternity!) and I'm super excited to watch the Oscars tomorrow. Hubs and I are movie buffs so every year we've seen most of the films. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Sporty1216Sporty1216 member
    edited February 2016
    Oh my goodness, @createillumination ! I'd be in so much trouble if I had to turn in a food diary! I'd cetainly be tempted to leave off the half-a-big-bag of jelly bellies i ate yesterday--among sooooo many other things! Haha. 
  • Oh my gosh -- no food diary here. This pregnancy is not turning out at all how I expected diet-wise. I ate a salad yesterday, though! That is all I'm willing to admit to. :)
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• I like randoms threads!

I napped nearly every day during first trimester. Exhaustion was my primary symptom - much more prominent than the nausea.

I, too, would lie through my teeth if I had to keep a food diary. I'm really, really hoping I don't get gestational diabetes. I think I generally make healthy food choices (even in pregnancy, most of the time) but I despise the idea of tracking what I eat.
    Me: 40  DH: 43
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    BFP #1 9/28/15, EDD 6/10/16. DS born 5/23/16!
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
    BFP #3 12/17/17 EDD 8/25/18. It's a boy!
  • @createillumnation - I love your justification for lounging around! I've actually been saying this to explain my lazy days for YEARS. Possibly well before I even met DH :) 
  • With so many important things to do and plan for, I've spent some time thinking about whether or not baby will have a Halloween costume and what that might be. Priorities... 
  • tiffanyhrtiffanyhr member
    edited February 2016
    Love this idea! Totally think it's ok to casually "edit" the food diary :-) you don't want to overwhelm the midwife! 

@Sporty1216 - the same thing happened to me recently but we were in a restaurant and the strong smell of garlic and onions was wafting our way...my mouth was watering but then promptly my stomach turned!

random question (pregnancy related but thought I might get a response here)- anyone who's due in late August/ early September: are you wearing maternity clothes yet? I'm in that tweener stage where my regular clothes are tight and uncomfortable but maternity clothes are too big!

Tried for DS for 1 year; one dose clomid Nov 2011 = DS born on 8/10/12
    BFP 6/30/15  MMC 7wks 5 days  D/E 8/9/15
    BFP 1/8/16 EDD 9/9/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @createillumination mmmmmm, cheetos!! The only way I have any self-control with junk food is by not buying it at the store-- that I can do. Once it is in my house, all bets are off!!! 

I am trying to think of any last-minute items that I need to buy for LO, but can't come up with anything. We've been buying baby items since September, so we are pretty prepared. But, I want to internet shop for all the things! I did buy some nice candles yesterday when I was at the store, so the house won't smell so much like dog when LO comes home.  
  • @mthoomom I never buy them my DH brings them home from work as a treat. I'm the exact same way!

I'm glad you guys agree that a food journal is cruel torture for a pregnant woman!

@tiffanyhr i'm due early sept. I haven't even looked at my regular pants since the TWW before i got my BFP. I wear yoga pants that have a nice stretchy yet supportive waist. They stretch as i "grow" during the day. I might have to buy maternity pants soon thou... 
  • Sporty1216Sporty1216 member
    edited February 2016
    @tiffanyhr--I'm due 9/12 and have been wearing maternity jeans for 2 weeks now! I'm planning a shopping trip after my 12 week appointment tomorrow because "real" pants are NOT happening at this point. ;)

@mthoomom--do you have a muslin swaddle blanket from Aden + Anais yet? I LOVE the one I got for LO when he was about 3 months old and can't wait to find out what this LO is and buy one for him/her. I never used it to actually swaddle him, but I loved it for everything else and he still sleeps with it. 
  • mthoomommthoomom member
    edited February 2016
    @createillumination That is so funny! My DH buys cheetos for me on the way home from work, too! 

@Sporty1216 Yes, I have three of them. I'd like to buy three more, but the colors I really want are $45 on amazon. I really only want to pay $35 for them, and those colors aren't as cute. It's a pressing issue. First world problems... 
  • @tiffanyhr I'm finding there is a huge range of normal in when you switch to maternity clothes. I was slow to show, but I also never wore a lot of form-fitting clothes, so my regular wardrobe has continued to work for a lot longer than I thought it would. I switched to maternity jeans for comfort sometime around 14-16 weeks, but I had some skirts that fit me up through about 20 weeks and my stretchy hiking pants still worked at 23 weeks. I'm currently almost 26 weeks and I'm still wearing a lot of non-maternity tops and dresses - at least half of my regular tops & dresses still fit (length is key). I have one pair of full-panel maternity pants and several maternity tops that I don't "fill out" yet. I'm wearing demi-panel pants currently.
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
  • @tiffanyhr I bought my first maternity clothes at 10 weeks. I had gone to the movies with DH and I had to unzip my jeans to be comfortable. I wasn't really showing but my lower abdomen did NOT like to be pushed on.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• @tiffanyhr - I busted into my maternity clothes bin today - 13w6d.  BUT, I've been wearing stretchy pants for a few weeks, I last wore my jeans around Valentines day and they were SO uncomfortable (they were loose pre-pregnancy), so I really need more stretchy pants.  Caveat - second babies and twins.  I took a bump pic today and I look about like I did at 21 weeks in my first pregnancy.  
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • Anyone have a good unscented belly butter or lotion for itching? I bought burts bees belly butter but it doesn't cut it. A friend gave me dream belly butter and it does a much better job but I don't like the smell. Ai yi yi my itchy belly is making me nuts! 
  • @createillumination -- no recommendations, but I'm anxious to see what folks say. My belly just started itching this morning. 
  • My legs get very itchy sometimes and Gold Bond lotion is the only thing that helps. 
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)

• @Sporty1216I just bought: Better than Butter Belly Oil, Unscented. Pregnancy Oil. Green + Lovely. 8 fl oz. I'll let you know what I think. 

The dream belly cream really works, it's just not unscented, if you don't mind smells in your lotion. 

and... I'm thinking about an awesome doppler session for you tomorrow. I have to confess I am thinking about buying one for home. 

@CarrieandRoy i'll check it out. Thanks!
  • I gave up on jeans around week 6 because of the bloat and just hating anything constricting on my belly. Lived in jeggings and yoga pants. Got low panel maternity jeans around week 12. All of my pre-pregnancy clothes were pretty small and tight fitting so I haven't felt comfortable in most of them. Finally got some maternity tank tops around week 15 and I love them!! So so so comfortable! 

@createillumination I find that if I rub a TON of coconut oil on my belly after showering it helps reduce the itching. I also use Shea butter sometimes.
    ME: 36 (PCOS), DH: excellent SA
    NTNP since 11/12, actively trying since 8/14
    m/c @ 7w (4/22/14), m/c @ 6w (11/19/14)
    11/15: Letrozole, Ovidrel, TI = BFP!!!
    Beta #1(14dpo)=349, Beta #2(18dpo)=2,805
    12/17/15: Got to see the heartbeat (105bpm)!
    1/25/16: NT scan = normal (HB=163bpm)
    EDD: 8/10/16 
    8/8/16: Baby boy born @ 12:25am, 8lbs, 20.5 inches
    5/18/17: BFP!!! (11dpo)
    Beta #1(12dpo)=176.4, Beta #2(15dpo)=607.1
  • I second @jilligan14 - I've been slathering my whole body in coconut oil daily.  My legs and my belly are ITCHY!!  It's the only thing that seems to work for me!!  And I like the smell - it makes me think of summer when it's FREEZING cold outside....
  • emgee27emgee27 member
    edited February 2016
    It's not unscented but it's a natural scent that fades pretty quickly - I've been using Mother's Special Blend oil all over, they sell it at Whole Foods, Sprouts and similar stores. It's almond oil, coconut oil, cocoa butter and vitamin E.
  • My skin isn't dry or itchy at all. I must not be pregnant...
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
  • I use good old fashioned baby oil!!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @redheadbride15 - I live in Minnesota.  Even if I wasn't pregnant, I'd be dry and itchy!  :)  
  • emsmama15 said:
    @redheadbride15 - I live in Minnesota.  Even if I wasn't pregnant, I'd be dry and itchy!  :)  
    I live in Massachusetts so most years I'd say the same thing! But this year the weather has been freaky warm. It was 60 degrees yesterday - bizarre!
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
  • My LO, who will be two on 4/2, is so insistent on doing everything himself! It's so cute--but also frustrating if I want to ever be efficient! I want to encourage his independence, but sometimes I just want to get something done! :)
  • @Sporty1216 I remember when my nephews were in that stage. "Oh, you want to help me take the garbage out? Wonderful -- let's spend half the day doing that."
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)

• @Mamafesto I'm so sorry about your grandmother. I'm glad you got to see her though, and you will certainly honor her by sharing that all of that goodness and positive influence with your children. Hugs to you!
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
  • @Mamafesto awwwww I'm sorry! That  it's great you have so many wonderful memories and that you had her in your life. *hugs*
  • I'm so sorry @Mamafesto.  It's hard to lose someone you're close to, especially when pregnant.  Honoring her with a namesake is a beautiful gift.
  • I'm so sorry @Mamafesto   That is how I feel about my maternal grandmother who is now 94, but doesn't really know who we are most of the time. I haven't seen her in almost 4 years, which breaks my heart. I am so glad you got to see your grandma and have a little more time with her. I think incorporating her name is a wonderful tribute. We plan to give this LO my mom's maiden name whether it is a boy or a girl, for much the same reason. 

Big hugs. 
  • @Mamafesto, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. It's wonderful that you got so many years with her. My grandparents all died when I was between the ages of 5 and 17. Lately, I've been thinking a lot about my mom's mother that died when I was 9. She had 7 children and was pregnant 9 times. I wish I could have talked to her about her experiences. --Hugs to you.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)

• bgf1bgf1 member
    Sorry for your loss, my DD is named after my Grandma who died when she was 6 months old.  Although it might sound strange their are times I see my Grandma in my lo, she doesn't walk anywhere she just charges, my Grandma was just the same.  My lo also had a compassion for people that seems just innate and is also very reminiscent of my Grandma who was a wonderful women. Naming your lo after her off possible is a wonderful rememberence.  And even if you can't sharing stories about your Grandma with you children will be a wonderful way to pass along her memory
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm so sorry @mamafesto. It sounds like she was an amazing woman, so wonderful you got to see her one last time. Incorporating her name into your baby's is beautiful, I'm trying to figure out how to do the same. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • While going to the bathroom before bed just now, I realized that I won't have to deal with snaps or zippers or buckles for the next 7-12 months. How much do I love this? I love it a lot. 
  • mthoomommthoomom member
    edited March 2016
    @Sporty1216 You've just reminded me that I'm going to have to tuck a postpartum midsection into real pants soon. Soooo saaaaad! 
  • @Sporty1216 I had a habit of touching my zipper just before I left restrooms to make sure it was up (not sure why) and every time I absent-mindedly did it to my maternity pants I was delighted again by the thought of no zippers for a long time.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)

• mthoomom said:
    @Sporty1216 You've just reminded me that I'm going to have to tuck a postpartum midsection into real pants soon. Soooo saaaaad! 
    Well, this is why I said 7-12 months above.  I'm giving myself at least a 3-month post-partum window to keeping loving the comfy pants! No rush to get back into those real pants, @mthoomom! :) But exciting that you'll be meeting baby soon--even if it means real pants are getting closer too...