Baby Names

***Why name spelling matters***

Re: ***Why name spelling matters***

• Technically Jack was once short for Jonathon anyway... but I have seen Jaxon a TON and it drives me mental. I also know a Trycestan which they pronounce Trice-ton and to me it looks like trissa-stan.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Anyway, here's a different take on baby names and popularity for those that are interested.

https://qz.com/481547/how-to-name-a-baby/
  • Anyway, here's a different take on baby names and popularity for those that are interested.

https://qz.com/481547/how-to-name-a-baby/

That's like, almost exactly what we talk about on here, except with more stick figures and less swearing.
  • Did you read my post? I didn't say anything about the opinions of the original article. I happen to AGREE with a lot of points. What I don't agree with is the mean girl attitudes and the blatant bragging about making fun of children who are unfortunate to have parents that gave them oddly spelled names. That's it!

Lol. I'm so done here.
  • Ive seen some names that just make me go ewwww. Was a counselor to a girl named KT ( pronounced katie) and met a new mom who had just named her so Tykevian (pronunciation negotiable). A gentlemen at my work place has a daughter Ariona and gets upset when people pronounce it Airy-Anna. He is always like " that O makes an O sound"

I guess my biggest thoughts on spelling and pronouncing, not like an idiot . Remember you are not
    naming a dog.
  • saham07 said:

stahlop said:

saham07 said:

What do you think about the "leigh" way of spelling names? EX. Ashleigh, Bayleigh, Leigh Ann. I personally don't like it. Is there a historical meaning for that way of spelling?

I don't know why, but I always get this special, ghetto, trashy feeling when I see this spelling. I really don't know why though.
    I've actually seen the spelling of Ashleigh on an older British man before. So it's not new. Didn't Leigh used to be the male version of Lee? I've seen male actors named Leigh before.

it doesn't change it for me. It is something that I don't have power over.

My middle name is Leigh...and my best friends first name is Leigh... And Mandy Moore's middle name is Leigh. It is a very real name. Haha. And I think it looks pretty added to certain names instead of the usual "ley"... But I agree that it would be tough to spell as a little kid.. Though that wouldn't stop me from choosing a name.
  • Love this.
  • my cousins sons name is kale like the food but she spells it kayle and everyone in school calls him Kaylee even his teacher I remember when he started school it was awful I feel so bad for him so in some way spelling can matter..
  • karmanakarmana member
    edited October 2015
    Agreed! Made-up spellings or made-up names are terrible. Then you throw in the ones with apostrophes (aka J'Den) and hyphens (aka La-a pronounced Ladasha) and it's a nightmare! 
  • Look, name your kid Baycee or Raystlynne if you want to. Just know that I am judging your choice. It looks like something you'd buy from the off-season sale rack at walmart. I don't get "offended at everything" either. In fact, I'd argue i get offended at a lot less than most people and am often the one doing the offending due to the unfortunate fact that I opt for honesty, despite mounting evidence that it will ruin my life (aka, I'm blunt. It's my personality). Names like Baycee don't offend me. Don't give yourself that kind of credit. I'm not shocked at the heterodoxy of a daring name choice. I'm rolling my eyes because I dislike bad taste. That's about as strong as my reaction will become. They just make me idly and calmly assume the parents grew up in a trailer park. I don't make that my problem. You want that association stuck on your kid because you really love the name? Then be brave and fierce and name her whatever you want no matter what people like me (or anybody else) have to say about it.

Saying something childish like "wow everybody who hates my misspelled stupid name must be the kind of person who gets offended about everything" is kind of ironic. Because YOU care what WE think or you wouldn't give a damn what we think to begin with.

Case in point. My daughter is being named after my great grandmother. What was her name? Olive. Yes. Olive. A woman who passed at age 96 recently was named Olive when she was born and because she was so kind and gentle to me and made every effort to show me she loved me, my daughter is now going to be named Olive too. Is Olive stupid? Yeah. Actually it is. A little bit. It's pretty but it's stupid. I have a kid named Olive to add to a cat named Turnip. What i really should be doing is opening a restaurant instead of making human beings but the point remains that this is her name and I don't really care if people don't like it. But do i know objectively that it's a bit of a flimsy and airhead name? Sure. Of course it is.

Having a handle on reality and doing what makes you happy are rarely one in the same. Being shocked and appalled that somebody would DARE side-eye what looks like total illiteracy is not having a handle on reality.

Pretty good post here......BTW I love Olive
  • Gingermom15Gingermom15 member
    edited October 2015

Look, name your kid Baycee or Raystlynne if you want to. Just know that I am judging your choice. It looks like something you'd buy from the off-season sale rack at walmart. I don't get "offended at everything" either. In fact, I'd argue i get offended at a lot less than most people and am often the one doing the offending due to the unfortunate fact that I opt for honesty, despite mounting evidence that it will ruin my life (aka, I'm blunt. It's my personality). Names like Baycee don't offend me. Don't give yourself that kind of credit. I'm not shocked at the heterodoxy of a daring name choice. I'm rolling my eyes because I dislike bad taste. That's about as strong as my reaction will become. They just make me idly and calmly assume the parents grew up in a trailer park. I don't make that my problem. You want that association stuck on your kid because you really love the name? Then be brave and fierce and name her whatever you want no matter what people like me (or anybody else) have to say about it.

Saying something childish like "wow everybody who hates my misspelled stupid name must be the kind of person who gets offended about everything" is kind of ironic. Because YOU care what WE think or you wouldn't give a damn what we think to begin with.

Case in point. My daughter is being named after my great grandmother. What was her name? Olive. Yes. Olive. A woman who passed at age 96 recently was named Olive when she was born and because she was so kind and gentle to me and made every effort to show me she loved me, my daughter is now going to be named Olive too. Is Olive stupid? Yeah. Actually it is. A little bit. It's pretty but it's stupid. I have a kid named Olive to add to a cat named Turnip. What i really should be doing is opening a restaurant instead of making human beings but the point remains that this is her name and I don't really care if people don't like it. But do i know objectively that it's a bit of a flimsy and airhead name? Sure. Of course it is.

Having a handle on reality and doing what makes you happy are rarely one in the same. Being shocked and appalled that somebody would DARE side-eye what looks like total illiteracy is not having a handle on reality.

Good way of putting this. Name your kid whatever you want, but it doesn't change the fact that armpit names make you look like trailer trash. Your kid is the one who has to be saddled with the atrocity at least until they are old enough to change it legally. Also, changing the spelling of a legit name to make it youneek and cute is just as bad. Imagine the name in 16 and pregnant, if it sounds fitting to the title choose a different name. Looking at all the Jerney's, Khrystenn's, Taylar's, Laycee's, Arica's and Charrleigh's.

Olive is a perfectly lovely name.

Edited because my fingers are hotdogs.
  • Thank you to both of you. The reception we've gotten on Olive has been 50/50. Som people really gush over it and others just kind of go "huh... okayyy... Cute..." and you know that they do NOT think it's cute, they think it's F^&#ed. And that's ok. Not everybody is going to like it.
  • @Cfabretti2 my best friend's name is Concetta (she's full Italian btw) and it was pronounced without the H sound, but everyone alway pronounced her name "con-chetta" anyhow. (sorry I know that was like 6 pages ago LOL)

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • mamakrys3mamakrys3 member
    edited November 2015
    Trust me. As a woman named "Krystina," I can tell you that spelling does matter!

Creative spelling isn't "cute." It's annoying for the child. No one will ever get their name right, important documents will need to be corrected because of misspellings, and comments will always be made like "Well, that's special!."

Do your kid a favor and spell the name you choose correctly.
  • This is so important. PLEASE think of your children! I have a very basic first name and a ridiculously ethnic Dutch/Flemish last name (and I'm like 4th generation in the US, they've just stuck with it) which I have had to spell for EVERYONE since I was a child. It is frustrating and annoying, please don't do that to your child with their first name! 
  • NovaSaysNoNovaSaysNo member
    edited November 2015
    My parents thought "Kristal" was a fun name. They wanted to be able to use "Kris" as nn. Apparently they thought spelling would matter for that to happen. Now almost 30 years later I'm still having to correct the spelling on my name on everything, every day (or, at the very least, just ignore it). I honestly hate my name. Only a couple of my coworkers can get it right, which makes presentations or documents a nightmare.

I can't even begin to count the number of times people will say "Oh, I spelled your name wrong on <insert whatever here>" or "I've been spelling your name wrong for years!" I then assure them that they are not the first. People want a special or unique spelling/name to give to their kid, I get that. What they don't get is that it doesn't make their kid feel special or unique, it makes them annoyed. I stopped correcting people back in middle school, unless it was important. Even when I was a kid it was frustrating to deal with. 

I found out a few years ago that my older brother wanted me to be named Lana and my parents thought that was a funny name. I would have preferred Lana. At least people could spell it.

ETA:  btw I actually love the name (and meaning/origin of) Lana.
  • If only my name really applied to this, but there is only one spelling of Andromeda. But on that note, my name is just as weird and outlandish as any other spelling of some "normal" name, and I got by jsut fine for the last 21 years. No one ever says my name right, or spells it right, but I get loootttss of compliments. I picked a semi out there name for my son, not crazy, but not something you hear everyday and people think its neat. I personally think, if you are willing to call your child something for 50+ years, and think its neat and cool, go for it. If they don't like it when they are older, believe me they will tell you.

•  I personally think, if you are willing to call your child something for 50+ years, and think its neat and cool, go for it. If they don't like it when they are older, believe me they will tell you.
    It might be a cultural difference, but I would never tell my parents I dislike the name they gave me. They still talk about it to this day as though it was a great decision. I know it makes them happy so I wouldn't ruin that for them. 
    As for the other parts (that I didn't quote), I've also gotten along "just fine" throughout life. I wouldn't consider a name some great life issue, it's more of a constant annoyance. I admit I was really angry when I wrote that post. I had been dealing with my pharmacy who couldn't find, (then) fill, or release my prescriptions because my name was spelled wrong. This is why I should never change pharmacies, they didn't have any of my info on file. The nurse at my doctor's office hadn't given my message to my doctor (I had been trying to clear this issue up for a few days at this point). I understand why I couldn't get my meds, unfortunately my heart doesn't care that my name starts with a "K" and not a "C". So my husband found me unconscious on the bathroom floor (luckily it was only a blood pressure drop and not something worse). Another expensive trip to the ER thanks to a nurse who couldn't deliver a message, the pharmacy that couldn't fill it (which I know is a legal issue), and my name which had to be spelled different. 
    Also, count me in the camp for never having heard the name Andromeda, it is quite beautiful (no other spellings and spell check can catch any mistakes!).
  • edited November 2015

The level of judgement on this thread is astounding. 

"It amazes me sometimes that even intelligent people will analyze a situation or make a judgement after only recognizing the standard or traditional structure of a piece." - David Bowie

"The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Correction does much, but encouragement does more." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

• It warms my ice heart that I've been MIA for 2 months and we're still doing this. Some things never change. <3 

Whoa! Heyyyyy @MixedBerries88! You were missed!
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• It warms my ice heart that I've been MIA for 2 months and we're still doing this. Some things never change. <3 

Whoa! Heyyyyy @MixedBerries88! You were missed!
    Hi love! Glad to hear it!

EDD for #1: 3/19/17
  • edited December 2015
    We want to name our son Ali (as in Muhammad Ali), and I know a lot of girls named Alison that have the NN Ali (pronounced Alley) . Let's spell our NN's correctly too :)
    Me:23 DH:32
    Married 5/14/13
    TTC #1 since 5/14
    TTC #1 w/ treatments since 5/15
    BFN 7/15
    BFP 8/15-MMC 9/15

BFP 10/15- Diagnosed BO 12/15
    BFP 2/16-EDD 11/18/2016 

• Omg, this is the funniest board I've come across yet!  Pair all the back and forth banter with everyone's hilarious memes and siggy's..... I love it!  

• To the lady who says random people would never give her child a nickname: You are horribly mistaken. I can't tell you how many times a stranger or teacher in America decided to call me Anne, Annie or Nikki despite me telling them that my name is Annika. I even had a professor in college who decided to call me Jen because my middle name is Genevieve and she didn't like my first name. If I didn't answer, it was my problem. People decide to shorten names, especially if there's more than one Jackson in the room. My cats name is Jack and I think it's a lovely name.
  • I concur, 100%.

Unfortunately, I don't know if people who consider dipping into the "XY and Z bowl" for their kids' YOO-NEEK names are going to have the patience to read that - let alone the comprehesion skills to understand what you are talking about. Here's hoping...

I don't know if I would go that far... my children are Vanderlei, Xaria and Yliana and I don't think I have strayed from convention. I simply didn't want my child to be 'Carrie R" or have to go by their first and middle name because there are 4 Carries, Olivias, or Jacobs in their class.
  • Name spelling matters because...
    When you name your daughter Islay and you want it pronounced "Eye-lee", in about 7th grade; your daughter is going to be constantly berated with "Islay is a good lay, Islay is a good lay!"

Pregnancy Ticker