March 2016 Moms

*** The Official Random Thread of All Random Threads for March 2016 ***

Re: *** The Official Random Thread of All Random Threads for March 2016 ***

• husband still talks about my going back to work when all the kids are in school, bc finances, and i'm here like "what can we live without? i don't want to not be there when my kids get home from school!"
    I'm in the same boat. Think I'm just going to have to keep popping out babies so we don't have to worry about it. ;-)
    Married 7.29.05 :: DD1 5.11.10 :: DD2 1.23.13 :: Baby Boy due 3.13.16!

March 2016 January Siggy: Pregnant Lady Problems
  • smount2011smount2011 member
    edited October 2015
    Ok, I know talking about money is taboo, but seriously . . . did you see that someone in the "baby nurse" thread pays their nanny $220 a day and said paying a baby nurse that much isn't "that bad." Holy cow. I must be really poor, because that number is astonishing to me. I was a nanny for 6 years and never made anything remotely close to that a day!! 
    I totally agree.  I was thinking I must be in below poverty level then... I have never gotten paid that much, let alone pay someone that much to work for ME...
    February Siggy Challenge- Post pregnancy indulgences

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • oceanchildoceanchild member
    edited October 2015
    I'm in the same boat. Think I'm just going to have to keep popping out babies so we don't have to worry about it. ;-)
    RIGHT?! except this is my last hand in that game of cards *sob* (only partially sob though)

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • @oceanchild - my husband says we're done after this one, too, but he's not willing to do anything permanent, so I'm sure I'll wear him down again in a couple years. ;-) 

• It was always my dream to be a SAHM, too. But when the time came, we didnt' make enough on just his salary to swing it. Fortunately I work for a family owned and operated company who are SUPER flexible with familys. We have so many people here who work swing shifts or work from home to be with their kids...it's a great place to be. I used to dream about baking fresh bread every morning, doing crafts with kids all day, and having a fresh dinner every night. Oh well, it's not to be. What we have going works though, so I guess we're pretty lucky.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Ugh my man is such a baby!  Lol

I'm trying to get him to call Human Resources NOW- and he won't reply to me.  He applied for that full time job, and the job post closed on October 2nd.  Well he says they reposted the job yesterday, AFTER HE APPLIED FOR IT.  I told him he can't let them look over him like that to call and find out what is going on.  He has worked there 6 years and while he has never technically done copy editing as a job, when the new copy editor for the sports department came on board, they asked DH to train the new copy editor.  So its not like he can't do it obviously, so why in the eff are they still trying to ignore him!? I don't get it...

• skruhminskruhmin member
    edited October 2015
    I seriously wish I could stay at home. It's my dream. But sadly I'm the primary bread winner since I'm in the tech industry and my husband is just really now getting going with his career. He makes under half as much as me so there is no way possible for me to stay home. But we are blessed that MIL watches our kids.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• Luckily for us we won't need child care.  I work 8-4 and I'm home by 4:30, and DH works 6-2, so someone is always home.

• Ughhh. I Feel so so sick today. I am shaky and weak. I know it's probably the hypoglycemia, but I've already eaten! A ton! And it still hasn't let up. I am really considering asking my boss if I can leave early. She's on lunch break now so maybe she will be a little more open to the idea when she gets back.

All I know is that my big comforter and my couch sounds like heaven right now.

BabyFruit Ticker

• I've always wanted to be a SAHM! I really wish I had the ability to do so, but unfortunately we are dirt poor and I am trying to finish up my bachelors degree. *sigh* I am saving up for maternity leave though. I am hoping to take a minimum of 4 months through possibly 6 months of leave.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I swear to GOD this corporation is the most effed up operation I think I've ever seen!  Said school supplies- I got them all packed up and ready to go.  So about 1/2 hour ago I get a phone call from the SAME LADY AGAIN, now she wants me to hold onto them.  She just got 3 more packages up there to Watertown, with my boss's name on them.  So now she needs to figure out exactly what goes to whom, so I spent my entire morning taking back supplies from teachers, going through my invoice and highlighting them to make sure everything is there, repacking everything, and now I didn't need to do that.  I'm telling my boss when she gets back, and I'm letting her know I am NOT touching those school supplies again until next Tuesday, when hopefully by then shit will be straightened out.  I was asked to put them away/divvy them up, and I did.  Then I'm asked to repack it all, and I did.  Now I'm told I may not have needed to, I'm DONE.

• @red3ye, your situation sounds like it's exactly what you need for right now, with long term plans in place. Often family and friends don't really know the whole story or understand our motivations, but if there is one thing I've learned it's that kids can live on a LOT LESS than we are told we need to give them—it doesn't sound like your kids want for anything. You sound like you've got it all figured out for you guys, and that's what matters. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

• We're also considered low - income for our area, though not below poverty level. In order to survive in this very high COL area we live in affordable (subsidized) housing and we're on WIC. Also all of my pregnancies have been on Me di - Cal (though I only qualify while pregnant. )

I also sometimes feel guilty because I'm only making 1/3 what I was when I was waitressing. But that was a dead end job, and I promised myself I wouldn't waitress after I finished my BA. So now I'm studying for my MA and working part-time. Once I finish my Masters I'll be making more than DH and I currently gross jointly. If he kept kiss full time job we'we'd be grossing around 80k yearly, but he's going to quit and stay home with the new baby instead. He's also planning to use the time to try to figure out his career, but as a musician he may never be the main breadwinner. So, we're slowly improving our lot in life, but truth is right now we struggle.
  • I also grew up below the poverty level as one of 8 children, and I think that has a lot to do with my guilt. I always said I would do better for my children (though my parents certainly did their best) But sometimes it feels shameful that we're not better off. But then again, we definitely made choices that work best for our family, and those choices generally value time together over money. 
  • I'm kind of irritated I binged too much on Call the Midwife Season 4 this week because I'm done with it :( onto Masterchef
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• You should watch Last Man on Earth... It's ridiculous.
  • Already brushed teeth, but hungry again....pregnant person problems!

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• whoo 120 pages and going strong!
    You guys are keeping it alive.

No mass exodus to FB?
  • Does anyone else feel like their pregnancy is dragging? I keep seeing all these posts where people say, "OMG! I'm 17 weeks! It's going so fast!" I'm over here feeling like "Seriously? I'm only 17 weeks?" I just want to get to 20 for the a/s and 24 for viability and 37 for full term. I want this baby in my arms! Why does pregnancy have to take so long?!

• diablesse said:

whoo 120 pages and going strong!
    You guys are keeping it alive.

No mass exodus to FB?

I am on FB but still come here multiple times a day. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • diablesse said:

I felt like my first pregnancy dragged, but this one is flying by.    I'm also anxious to meet this new baby, but I'm also desperately hanging on to every moment of single kid motherhood that I can before the insanity starts.

Do you have kids?  Enjoy this peace you have now.  You have no clue what awaits you.  Nothing can prepare you for it  :))

ETA:  nm...just checked your sig.  You have two kids already and you're anxious for a new one?  You're definitely handling motherhood better than I am.  hahaha
    I'm both excited for and dreading when this baby arrives.
    This. I want my babies but so trying to enjoy every moment I can with just little man. Excited and dreading.
  • RE being a SAHM: The decision for me (us) was an easy one. I barely made over minimum wage, I was determined to BF for at least a year, and my work was 24 hr shifts. Those didn't go well with each other. Thank god DH started a new job when DD was 1 month old and the pay was good enough to keep me at home. I still work part time as a figure skating instructor but it's not for the income, it's to get me out of the house 3 times a week! I feel so lucky to be able to stay at home although it was a difficult transition at first. I absolutely loved my job and I felt like I lost part of my identity for a while. It was hard to cope that I wasn't "that person" anymore.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @flowerpower5838 I also don't partake but don't care if others do but geez that would bother me too. Not real sure what you could do about it without offending your neighbors? Maybe the mom or dad of one of the families like to smoke outside after the kiddos are in bed? 

I called target (they have a breast pump program) monday and they just emailed me the list of breast pumps I qualify for and I was excited there are some medela ones on the list. If you do it through them you can pick the pump up at your local target 72 hours after you order. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • As for being a SAHM, I wish I could.  Unfortunately I'm the breadwinner of the family and it will be that way for awhile.  DH is still struggling to get full time, but works 2 part-time jobs to balance things out.  I'm not even in my chosen career field, because I make more being a secretary and have amazing benefits through the state school system.  My last job was in my career field (was a Master Teacher for Head Start), but I made less money, and my health insurance was HORRIBLE- to the point DH went without and we paid the fine at tax time, and DD was placed on CHP.  Now I bring home less money (although I make more), but my whole family is covered under me, and they can get the health care they need. 

My next issue is now I'm driving an hour round-trip to and from work.  Before I lived a mile away and would walk whenever it struck my fancy (which was quite often).  Now I'm burning through $30+ a week in gas.  We don't qualify for crap- not wic, not foodstamps, only HEAP but that is because the guidelines are higher.  We over qualify by $200 on the YEAR.  Once baby is born then we will qualify for help but until then we sit here and struggle daily.  It breaks my heart, but we survive. 

What is pathetic about our situation is I have a Bachelor's degree, and while DH doesn't (he ran out of money and had to drop out before he could finish- before we got together), he is in his career field.

He is only part time, but he did manage to speak to HR and they are impressed with how quickly he has picked up their new OS program, and they know he has been working hard and looking for full time work, so they are considering him for the position he applied for.  I really hope he gets it.  It would be a BIG relief for us.  Last night he complained he feels like he is going to be the Mr. Mom, and he has every right to feel that way- but until he tries to land a job that makes enough so I can stay home, then this is what we have to do to live.  It is horrible living deciding on what bills get paid and what doesn't, so we have enough money for food, or gas for me to get to work, so I can make the money. 

• edited October 2015

I would love to be a SAHM eventually. I just have a REALLY hard time with the whole cutting back thing and DH doesn't make quite enough to support the standard of living I like. We pay attention to price tags and can't just go buy a car with cash or anything, but usually (DH recently was laid off so not currently) we don't worry about going out to eat, splurging on an Amazon deal of the day, going on random weekend trips, etc. Having to cut back so we don't have to use any savings right now is really impeding the way I usually go about my life and I am not a fan.

Hoping to work something out with my current employer that will allow me to work from home at least a couple of days a week. We shall see...

ETA: I also work for a certified WBE and I have no idea what our maternity policy is. I have a feeling it's non-existant and I find that a little hypocritical. I guess I'll find out when I finally tell them I am expecting...

Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• Loved your response btw
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• As far as the weed goes, being from Colorado I "have" to be ok with it. My bil sells it at a dispensery. I cannot stand it though. It's so gross. And with it actually NOT being safe like they originally told us - THC is much higher than your mom's garden variety from the 70s, the edibles and kids, etc., our crime rates have actually increased along with pot-related injuries, not to mention the money issues involved.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• skruhmin said:
    As far as the weed goes, being from Colorado I "have" to be ok with it. My bil sells it at a dispensery. I cannot stand it though. It's so gross. And with it actually NOT being safe like they originally told us - THC is much higher than your mom's garden variety from the 70s, the edibles and kids, etc., our crime rates have actually increased along with pot-related injuries, not to mention the money issues involved.
    I did read recently that the potency of pot sold in dispensaries is quite higher than what your average smoker is used to. Kind of scary when you think of the "tourist" smokers not used to it at all. And I totally agree with the edible thing - how on earth can you be sure that if you bought that your kids wouldn't find it? I was the sneakiest and nosiest kid over. Guarantee I would have found my parents' stash had they had one.

Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• So..... I have no desire to be a SAHM and have been ridiculed for my decision. Dh makes enough that i could do so, but i LOVE my job most days, i make pretty great money, but most of all its a small company that is family focused and allows for any time off at a moments notice with no complaints. I have had both men and women give me repulsed looks when i say i will be going back to work happily. (yes i will miss them) Comments have been said that "i should want to be home with them and care for them or we shouldn't of had children" Some people and there views on life blow my mind. With all this said to each there own.

Pregnancy Ticker

• I would like to be a SAHM for the first year but after that I would have to go back to my job. I love nursing and even now that I am on vacation I miss my work girls and taking care of my patients. Don't get me wrong that shit is stressful as heck and most people are just rude or non appreciative but there are a few who really do appreciate it and it makes it all worth it. I would however not even be able to take a year off b/c while my husband makes good money I make more than him and we would be really broke without my income. I get to stay out paid until baby is about 4 months and can take another 6 weeks unpaid. Not sure if we can swing 6 weeks unpaid but I am looking into it. Then I will go back when he is about 5 1/2 months and that's way better then most and usually after the colic stage. I would hate for my sweet babe not to have momma while he is having pains.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml