June 2015 Moms
Options

Nighttime sucks. That is all.

Re: Nighttime sucks. That is all.

• Options
    LO gave me 5 hours of sleep two nights in a row. He's normally up every three like clockwork, so of my boobs decided at hour three to let down and leak through my bra, pads, and shirt and soak the sheets.

Yuck.

Can't change them because DH is dead to the world so I'm sleeping on a towel like back when peeing the bed stopped being a reason to change the sheets.
  • Options
    yup, she was up at 3 but I ignored her then she woke up at 4:30. She fed on one boob then fell asleep, but woke up after setting her back down. Make up your mind lady!

This can't continue. She was doing well going to bed at 9 waking up at 2:30 so I may have to go back to a shorter length of sleep at night.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    katyertl said:

I read somewhere that later feeding, dream feeds and feeding a bigger amount don't work at all to make a baby sleep longer. The best nights of sleep we had were ones that lo last eats at 7.

I've noticed this too. I honestly feel like it's all one big crap shoot and he's going to what he's going to do. I'm just along for the ride!
  • Options
    And up again. I want to cry this week has just been going so awful
  • Options
    I'm calling the feetie pj's a success...her sleep pattern was exactly the same as it has been with the swaddle...down at 8, up at 4, back down to 730...dozing now and anticipating a wake up soon.

If only transitioning to the crib was this easy...we'd really be in business! In fairness DD was always swaddled with her arms out (or she'd break then out immediately) so the pj's aren't that big of a change.

I go back to work Monday and will have to get up at 5...so I wish she'd do her MOTN feed at 5 instead of 4, but whatever. She's a good sleeper so I can't complain. I'll just have to go to bed at 9 instead of 10.
  • Options
    amccoy129 said:

katyertl said:

I read somewhere that later feeding, dream feeds and feeding a bigger amount don't work at all to make a baby sleep longer. The best nights of sleep we had were ones that lo last eats at 7.

I've noticed this too. I honestly feel like it's all one big crap shoot and he's going to what he's going to do. I'm just along for the ride!
    Was just coming to post the same thing. I think it's coincidence, but the nights we dream feed at 11:00, he seems to wake up sooner or more often.

@delujm0 Hooray for footed PJs transitions!
  • Options
    I just started putting LO in footie Jammies too. I also put a Muslin blanket in her RnP and have a fan on. I used to be worried she'd be too warm, but she's been just fine. Only problem is finding jammies that fit. She's sort of in between sizes at 12 lbs. Her Carters 3 month Jammies look like 3/4 sleeves.

She's been going down between 8-9:30 and then wakes at 3AM and 7AM. We were able to knock out a third feeding in between. I usually feed her on one side, but started offering both at the 3AM feed. Worked well.

Now we just have to switch to the crib.. And I'm terrified. It's going to be a mess. She likes the rocking on her RnP. We also won't have a good time to do it until 5 months. We're traveling at the end of October so she'll be in the RnP and we need to use her nursery when my mom visits next week. So there wouldn't be much routine for her. I just feel like 5 months is a looooong time to be in the RnP.

Then again, I may be making excuses because I'm not ready for her to leave my room. :((
  • Options
    I think its a total crapshoot over here, too. There is some consistency with regards to feeding times and wake times, sure. Something might happen 3 out of 5 times the same way, but those other 2 times are usually such an aberration that I just basically wing it every night. LO has been *almost* STTN, which is kinda good on one hand, and I'm grateful, don't think I'm not. But his wake up overnight is at 4-5am, which is a really rough time to wake up for a feed because as I'm finishing the sky is lightening or the sun is already coming up. So its really hard for both of us to go back to sleep, but far too early to just begin the day at that point, either. After going to sleep at 1030pm, he woke up at 430am and I finished feeding him (which includes two diaper changes each time) at ten to 6. Too early to get up, too late to easily go back to sleep. I'd almost rather have a MOTN feed at 1 or 2 am. Which is what I usually get on those other nights, which I can't find a direct correlation to causation for those feeds. Otherwise I would try to duplicate that schedule. Bah.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Putting her down early seemed to work...still sleeping (I of course am not because my boobs are about to explode).

This reminds me that DH was like "we need to stop saying 'put the baby down' and stay 'put the baby to bed' instead". It DOES sound disturbing otherwise! ;)
  • Options
    Our 14 week old girl is teething already. Hope our night goes well...
  • Options
    Dear God just wake up once in the night!
  • Options
    mellymar said:

Not a sucky thing, but a nighttime related thing - LO is having his first nap in his crib in preparation for transition to crib at nighttime. I've got my little audio monitor (which works surprisingly well for a $20 item impulse bought at Walmart. really sensitive. I can hear the mobile music over the sound of the air purifier, which isn't really loud, but I fully thought it would drown out the mobile) and I'm downstairs eating and having an IPA. For the win. :D

This lasted all of 20 minutes. Not the crib's fault. He's in a leap and thus its been a disaster to get him to nap like normal, and he's been hungry earlier than usual, and this nap started at 2 hours after a feed, he usually eats every 3ish hours (when not in a leap).
    I didn't get to finish my meal, tho. Came back to a cold bowl of chili and a warm beer. :-w
  • Options
    ^^^^ boo to warm beer!
  • Options
    HoosOnFirstHoosOnFirst member
    edited September 2015
    @dancegurl1118 we are in similar boat ... Had a work picnic and she refused an afternoon nap so she went to bed at 7 instead of 830... Ugh we are screwed tomorrow morning! I hope your LO cooperates and decides to get some extra zzzzs instead!
  • Options
    @paige0704 2nd night of one arm swaddle for us. I tried both out but she wasn't having it. I put one arm in & the other against me & she was out. Girl thinks it's awake time if both arms arms are flying free.

@slr1229 I feel the same way only I would jump for joy if it was only 2 awakenings after the week we've had. I should be asleep now since she is but I needed some time to myself & with DH. I'm sure I'll be regretting this in the middle of the night.

I'm trying her in her room for the first time, still in Rock in play. Wish me luck! Not sure if I'll be able to sleep without her right there but wanted to see if this arrangement might let us both sleep more.
  • Options
    Already up. Fml. She didn't even last until the next day! Went down at 8. I am at a loss what else to do.
  • Options
    @slr1229 maybe our LOs are on the same schedule. Mine was down at 8 & up now. Guess it didn't matter I stayed up. Of course DH is fast asleep on the couch
  • Options
    @ciennah99 I feel your pain! My DH is out of town after watching our college team play football with all of our old college friends and here I am!

I even gave LO a bottle at 7 to ensure she ate enough (downed close to 5.5 ounces) and still! I was too tired to stay awake to do the dream feed and yet here we are. So disappointing when you see the clock be not what you want.
  • Options
    @slr1229 Mine thinks it's daytime so I just handed her off to DH. He hasn't had night duty in quite awhile. I feel bad cause I know he's tired as he played softball all day but I need to sleep. LO has been waking every two or three hours for the last week.
  • Options
    Well the one arm out swaddle lasted 27 minutes and then she was wide awake at 905 smiling at her mobile...so being that I had already fallen asleep ( yes at 830) I went over to crib wrapped that arm back in and she passed out in seconds so of course I did too...just got up bc my boobs are hard as rocks to pump and she's still sleeping so I don't think she's quite ready for the arm out ugh
  • Options
    LOL has a cold. I've been rocking her for the last hour. Every time I try to put her down, she wakes up and cries. It's going to be a long night.
  • Options
    Welp due to another clogged duct in a different spot I had to wake LO up to feed her in the MOTN. Breastfeeding is the pits. THEY SAID IT GETS EASIER!!!!!!
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    Back up at 4:45. If it takes as long to get her back to sleep this time, I'll have her back in bed in time to get up and make DS's breakfast. Yay.
  • Options
    LO seems to have put herself on somewhat of a night schedule....falls asleep at 8 or 830, gets up at 4 and then sleeps until she starts pooping, which could be anytime between 6 and 8. Doesn't sound too bad until I realize that when I put her down after the 4am feed tomorrow morning, I can't go back to bed bc I have to get ready for stupid work. And depending on how long she sleeps, I may already be gone when she gets up. Boooooo.
  • Options
    My guy did the same thing tonight. Went to bed 2 hours earlier but I only lost an hour off my normal first chunk total. Thinking/hoping he'll sleep later this 2nd stretch as it is earlier so it may all even out
  • Options
    Such a horrible night. Down at 7, up at 9, 1230-230, 6. The middle stretch was so bad, just cries and cries. She refuses to go off an every 3 hour eating schedule. 11 1/2 weeks old
  • Options
    delujm0delujm0 member
    edited September 2015
    As if she knew today was my first day back at work...bedtime took 2 hours last night, and she refused to go back down after her 430 feed. Sigh.
  • Options
    KaLikeAWindKaLikeAWind member
    edited September 2015
    slr1229 said:

Such a horrible night. Down at 7, up at 9, 1230-230, 6. The middle stretch was so bad, just cries and cries. She refuses to go off an every 3 hour eating schedule. 11 1/2 weeks old

LO over here supposedly just finished a leap. Yours is probably in it.
    ETA I say supposedly because I want my $2 back. He was still cranky yesterday and it was supposed to be over
  • Options
    Up at 10:30, 12:30, 230, 5, 630, and 8. He was also tossing and turning all night. No one slept well. He's also having some huge man farts... Not sure what the deal is. I'm exhausted. 10.5 weeks
  • Options
    The extra early bedtime didn't hurt us he was up at 5:45 but then went back down til 9. I ate breakfast, pumped, so I still didn't get a ton of sleep but still a success
  • Options
    this thread is so helpful, even if to know we are not alone in the baby wakes all the freaking time modes. All. The. Freaking. Time.
  • Options
    My kid is 14 weeks. He wakes every 1-3 hours to eat, but the saving grace has been that he goes right back to sleep very easily, so it's a 10 minute wake up.
    But the past two nights, he will cry if I try to put him in his bed - he will fall right back asleep if I lay him in bed with us.
    I'm hoping the whole "no bad habits before 4 months" applies here, too, and this is a passing thing. I don't mind bed sharing, but it's not as restful.
  • Options
    LO is in the crib for the first time. He's been asleep for 40 min. I'm glued to the baby monitor. He's been thrashing around like crazy but still asleep... So weird.
  • Options
    LO fussed and grunted enough to wake me up, I waited an appropriate amount of time before deciding he was actually waking up and not just making noise. Got up, went pee. Came back, homie is asleep again. But since I got up, my body is awake. Its been 15 minutes already and not a peep from sleeping baby while I just lay here. FML.
  • Options
    mellymar said:

LO fussed and grunted enough to wake me up, I waited an appropriate amount of time before deciding he was actually waking up and not just making noise. Got up, went pee. Came back, homie is asleep again. But since I got up, my body is awake. Its been 15 minutes already and not a peep from sleeping baby while I just lay here. FML.

And then he will wake when you're falling asleep. Or it seems that's how it works