September 2015 Moms
Options

Anyone else struggling with Gestational Diabetes?

Re: Anyone else struggling with Gestational Diabetes?

• Options
    @cheflilo62686 , the majority of my fasting readings are in the 60s. This morning I got 72, but that's not my usual range. My 7 day avg is 88 and 30 day avg is 82. Even my post prandial readings come back in the 70s-80s for the most part, hence the 82 avg. occasionally I'll have something in the low 90s, but it's pretty rare. I never changed my diet from my norm, in fact I've never seen a dietician bc my dr said there was no reason to since my numbers are what they are. He admitted the test is not perfect and studies show that 50-70% of all women who retest would get the opposite results, whether they passed or "failed" the first time around. However, he also says this isn't something he retests for. So unfortunately the diagnosis stays on my chart. But I've had no NST done or any other additional monitoring, I don't have any extra appts and he only makes me check twice a day. So...I don't know...I often feel like I may have been misdiagnosed as well, but at this point I just go with the flow.
  • Options
    So at my appointment today the dr was not concerned about my numbers so far, thankfully. I did find our that from here on I will have weekly ultrasounds due to chronic hypertension (that I got in my pregnancy 6 years ago and never left! )
    My husband brought up that though my numbers are good he doesn't feel I am eating enough and the doctor said if I am continually eating the recommended carb count and getting high numbers then they will put me on oral meds, but that I shouldn't bee cutting down the recommended carbs to make my sugars lower. I guess we will see what happens.
    @squigles28 hoping things are going okay!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm just waiting to hear results and what Dr decides in the morning. I will say hubbie had to bring snacks since my sugar keeps dropping here in the hospital
    Yay hospital food!

But I agree, I would def make sure you are getting enough carbs per meal and per day and not just cutting too much until your numbers go where you want.
  • Options
    @squigles28 thanks for the update, was worried about you! One day at a time and keep us posted!
  • Options
    @squigles28 Glad you are doing ok and baby is still cooking! Less water?! That's weird advice to me. Haha. How much do you drink daily? I usually drink 100 oz or so daily. I didn't drink enough water with my son, and my fluid levels were a little low at his birth than they wanted, so I am trying to make sure that doesn't happen with my baby girl.

@seamonkey4 At least I know I am not alone in feeling misdiagnosed... But whatever we need to do to ensure the babies come into the world without being hypoglycemic is the reason, right? :/ Only 5 weeks left for me, so I am hoping it will go by fast so I can feel comfortable eating 100% normally again.
  • Options
    @cheflilo62686 I do drink a lot of water to be fair! At least 100 oz + if I have a diet soda or tea
    He just said since I'm producing over a gallon of urine a day just to cut back a little. The Dr even said he has never ever said that before ha-ha.
    But he also said he'd better not see me out at Walmart etc this weekend and off of bed rest!
    So for now drs orders.
  • Options
    @cheflilo62686 I just want her to be healthy. So even though checking my sugars is frustrating and a pain, especially when I am at work running around and have to stop do go check or when I'm starving and it hasn't been 2 hours so I can't eat yet...I do find some relief when I see good numbers and know baby girl didn't get loaded with sugar. I just want her to be a healthy size that won't require a c-section and I don't want her to have any hypoglycemia. As long as I can bond with her right after birth, I will be happy. Good luck to you mama, I have 5 weeks and a couple days left, so I know this will all be over soon.
  • Options
    Glad to hear the good news, @squigles28

My change in nighttime snack and snacktime has brought my fasting numbers down a bit. I wasn't feeling like it was that much better, but it seems to be enough that my doctor says we'll continue to hold off on meds and just watch the numbers. So good I guess. I do still have the ultrasound to check on her size that way so we'll see what those results bring. 
  • Options
    Had my 34 week appt this morning. Appt was at 9:10, I was back in the car driving away at 9:15. It went just like this...dr comes in, your BP looks good, sugar looks good. Let's listen to baby. Measures fundal height and uses Doppler. Size looks good, heart rate is good. I will see you back in 2 weeks. End of appt. ugh. I read posts that all these women know so much more than I do about their pregnancies and I get 2 min appts. It's good in the sense that everything is going well and there's no need for long detailed appts, but come on man, give me something a bit more!
  • Options
    seamonkey4seamonkey4 member
    edited August 2015
    Ugh...I messed up this morning and I'm so upset with myself. When I went to compare some food at the store last night in my fit pal app I decided to go with the Wegmans brand multi grain flax seed bagel. This morning I made myself a breakfast sandwich with the bagel, egg and cheese. I checked my sugar and it was 125. What??? The highest I have ever been. Then when I did some investigating I realized the bagel was in my app for 1/2 and I ate it all. So the carbs were doubled and it messed up my protein:carb ratio. I'm so upset with myself. I should have paid better attention and just made an open face sandwich and saved the other half for tomorrow. :-L
  • Options
    Honestly it is so easy to do @seamonkey4 ! I just try to make up for it next meal and have a better overall day!
    But I'm with you, so hard not to beat yourself up!
  • Options
    And @seamonkey4 , mine was self inflicted... Pizza sigh. I know it was only 127 after that, but then you question, should I have done that? It's just hard to be on bedrest, watch my sugar, my blood pressure, my water intake. But I will do it and try to be better if it keeps my baby in there longer!
    I'm tired of feeling guilty for every single decision, even if I portion size to limit how high my sugar goes.
  • Options
    Yes it is easy to do! My dietician doesn't have me counting carbs, I count portion sizes ... Kinda similar I guess... I always feel guilty if I eat anything "off plan" I know it's for the health of baby but it gets tiring!

Fasting numbers have been pretty good & after meal numbers great - down to only checking fasting & I pick 1 meal now to check 1-2 hours after. Less finger pricking yay!

Blood pressure has been ok but now dealing with back pain & rib pain - gets so bad I am in tears! Only thing that helps is to lay on 4 pillows ...

@squigles28 - picked up some fibre 1 brownies! Trying that tonight with a cheese stick for my snack :)
  • Options
    I think it's the guilt that's wearing on me too. 2 finger sticks a day isn't hard, and really, neither is watching what I eat. But when I do have something I know I probably shouldn't, or I enjoy just a bit more than I should, the guilt eats at me and then I start panicking. And as dumb as it sounds, I say oh no, how many ounces did I just pack on to baby girl, how hard did I make her pancreas work...even though I don't get high numbers. It's just tough. @squigles28 , I know you have it harder than the rest of us right now...keep up the great work. Each day baby stays in is a huge help.
  • Options
    @seamonkey4 - exactly!! I ask myself the same things when I'm eating things that I'm "not supposed to" - Hows baby dealing with it etc ... The guilt ... :-S
  • Options
    I'm really struggling with my morning numbers :( I'm at the minimum recommended carbs but still in the 120s in the AM. I think I'm past being guilty on that because it is high despite limiting to 15 carbs. I have found that if I'm going to have a treat it has to be with lunch, then it doesn't throw my numbers off.
    But I really want some chocolate, I know that is pathetic, but I just do!
  • Options
    What does everyone have for a before bed snack?

My go-to has been 1-2 cups of watermelon & a cheese stick - last night I had a muffin (orange cranberry - husbands - but had to have one!) around 9:30, then watermelon & cheese at 10:45 - fasting numbers were as low as I've ever seen!! 4.6 - about 83 converted.
  • Options
    @cuphalffull - have you tried those fibre one brownies? A good night time snack (paired with protein) with fibre and might help with chocolate cravings!
  • Options
    I don't think I have it harder. Honestly, the diabetes I have a little control over somewhat. At least today for example I knew I what I did ha-ha.

But the preeclampsia, I can rest and keep blood pressure lower but I can't control the protein in my urine. Also, I have found the silver lining...my hubby now does all the cooking! I'm just trying to make the best of it.

Mmmm....I really want a fiber one brownie with my snack tonight too :)
  • Options
    All this talk of fiber one brownies and now that's what I want too. :) think I'll have to get some tomorrow.

I'm struggling the last couple days of not feeling hungry very shortly after I start eating. I force some more in, but not really enough. Numbers are actually a little worse today and I think it's because I'm not eating enough so things aren't staying level. They're still in the acceptable range, but higher than the rest of the week and I think this is why. I guess I'll just need to find a way to do better tomorrow.
  • Options
    @seamonkey4 I think doctors appointments that go real quick -- is the best sign. I have to be in the hospital for 5 hours every monday for non stress tests, growth scans, prenatal appointment, appt with endocrinologist and appt with dietician and in two weeks they want me doing this mondays and thursdays --cant help but be anxious and worried because they need to see me that much, that often. I hope things continue going well for you, im jealous of 5 minute appointments!!!
  • Options
    So after beating myself up yesterday about my breakfast snafu, I decided today would be a better day and I just needed to give myself a break. I decided to check my breakfast and lunch sugars today- and got 74 and 79 respectively. I feel much better and know today baby girl has not been overloaded. It's amazing how one bad sugar can really throw my mood for the whole day!
  • Options
    Had my growth scan ultrasound this morning and very happily baby is a perfect size, at the 40th percentile for estimated weight. I feel very relieved that the measurements don't show her too big. It also helps me feel like all my work trying so hard to eat an appropriate diet is paying off. Hopefully she stays right on track!
  • Options
    We get a growth scan tomorrow too.
  • Options
    I'm jealous of everyone getting their growth scans. I don't get mine till 38 weeks. I feel like by then any changes that could have/should have been made won't matter bc it's so late. Im happy your LO is right on track, @thtrchic , what a great feeling that must be!
  • Options
    OK, so just back from the Dr. Waiting on lab results, should be in around noon tomorrow. But so far on BPP, baby looked good. Weighs 4 pounds 14 oz.
    So, praying until now.
    Dr says continued monitoring. He wants to make it to 37 week, assuming all of these keep looking good. Then we will induce no later than 38 weeks.
  • Options
  • Options
    Good luck @squigles28 !

I caved and ate a cinnamon bun today. Ugh!! I worked (been off for 3 weeks) and I think stress got to me... No excuse ....
  • Options
    Can I get someone's take on this? I had clear broth soup, a couple crab Rangoon, and a couple pieces of sushi for dinner. Something I've eaten before and had good results with. So about half an hour before my post prandial test, I had KILLER heartburn. So I had two of those soft chew antacid things. And then I had the highest number I've seen in weeks. I retested ten minutes later and it had already started to come down
    Do you think the chews could have done it?
    I plan to retest at bedtime. But crazy.
    Also, I'm sure the stress of my test results tomorrow are not helping any either. Shut off brain!!!
  • Options
    I would check the sugar content on the calcium chews. It could have just enough to have given you a quick burst of sugar and you tested right before your insulin could get control. Or even just a false reading from having something on your finger?
  • Options
    I'll check in just a bit on the sugar content. It was just so unexpected!
  • Options
    This isn't GD related, but you ladies have become my support team. I had what I would consider an anxiety induced dream. I'm a single mom and my support team leaves for Canada for vacation tomorrow morning. Now I'm only 4 hrs from Canada and a FTM, so if labor started they could make it back. But I dreamt baby girl came while I was alone, and no one got any pictures. She weighed 7 lb 90 ounces(??) and had to go to the nicu because she couldn't breathe properly...those two things I believe are related to my GD stress. Now I'm wide awake and had only been asleep for 4 hours, with a 12 hr shift starting in 3 hrs. :(
  • Options
    squigles28squigles28 member
    edited August 2015
    @seamonkey4 I know we all have the underlying worries of after the birth. But Lord knows we have put enough work in! I hope you have a good shift today!

And may the baby stay put until everyone returns. But, go ahead and slip a camera in the old delivery bag for your peace of mind.

I can't wait for you to get a growth scan at 38 weeks! It helps to know all the hard work is paying off
  • Options
    Also the antacid chews did not have carb info on them, but all but one of the inactive ingredients were corn syrup in two forms, sugar, and or milk powder. So yeah.
    I had a snack tested two hours later and back to my expected range.
  • Options
    @squigles28 glad to hear you at least found out what the culprit was! Crazy now that we are looking at labels more closely, you can see what actually goes into products. What's the need for corn syrup in an antacid??
  • Options
    It was one of those chews, so they threw in a crap ton of corn syrup (#1 ingredient) to make it taste good and probably texture. And to me I never imagined. So now my husband has hidden them and laid out the old chalk tablets. So be careful with the chewy antacids ladies!
    It's so funny, he even reads all the labels for me too. It's a family affair I guess.
  • Options
    We go on our maternity ward tour today! I will feel relieved to just see it, as I have never known anyone that had a baby at this hospital, and it will help me feel prepared!
    Is anyone else wondering how soon after baby is out will our bodies go back to noal digestion of sugars? I feel a bit guilty wondering, and I'm fine with it all, just curious I guess. I remember being really hungry the day after my daughter was born.
  • Options
    djf911djf911 member
    edited August 2015
    @squigles28 I have issues with protein in my urine too - dr tells me to eat more carbs even though that can throw off my sugars. They have me take insulin for the sugars and say there is no other way to get rid of the ketones. I was trying to avoid insulin all together but I take it before bed and before breakfast so it isn't so bad.

What numbers does everyone's dr.s want their sugars at after meals. Mine says 1 hr after to be under 130 and first thing in the morning to be under 90. I consistently have been a few numbers over even eating exactly what is recommended. I just see some of you feeling guilty when your after meal numbers are in the 90's - has me curious.
  • Options
    I'm supposed to be under 95 fasting and under 120 2 hours after meals...I'm pretty frequently in the 100s to 130s...