June 2015 Moms

Breastfeeding Check-in Week of 6/22

124»

Re: Breastfeeding Check-in Week of 6/22

• LO is four days old.

I've been breast feeding and pumping between meal times to increase my supply. Bc LO was a 9# baby she will require more milk to sustain her and to keep gaining weight.

My biggest concern so far is, am I making enough milk? LO is borderline jaundice so she needs to pee and poop a lot to remedy this. Yesterday when my milk came in she didn't want to latch so I pumped and bottle fed her in the morning. Went to a breast feeding support group and got help with the latch and met a few nice ladies too. They were all shocked how old she was. She's 8#3oz now, so bigger than many of the babies who are 3 weeks old.

I take a few 15 min breaks throughout the day and go sit on my back deck. We have a water feature with a waterfall that relaxes me. I'm able to return phone calls, answer a few texts or hang out on the bump for a little bit.
  • Loading the player...
  • @lovethatcolosun My LO was jaundice as well. I nursed constantly the first several days to try to clear it. Is she's latching and will nurse it's huge for improving supply and clearing the bilirubin. Nurse on demand and offer even when she's not demanding is what the nurses and doc advised for us. Jaundice increased for 4 days and then improved quickly as my milk came in fully and LO's latch improved. My nipples suffered but it was worth it to clear the jaundice and establish supply.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My son was jaundice (all three of my kids were, because of my O+ blood type). This time they had me pump after each nursing session and give him whatever I was able to express. We were able to avoid bringing home the biliblanket, and I think the pumping helped.
  • Here's a good article on drinking while nursing. I still limit my drinks to 2, and try drink a water in between.

https://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/the_kids/2014/12/breast_feeding_and_alcohol_it_s_fine_to_drink_while_nursing.html

This part explains the concentration of alcohol in your milk:

If a 150-pound nursing mom downs four alcoholic drinks—say, four 5-ounce glasses of table wine—and then breast-feeds her 13-pound baby 4 ounces of milk when she’s at her tipsiest, her baby will end up with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.0038 percent—the same blood alcohol concentration her mom would have after consuming a mere 1.5 ounces of Bud Light (one-eighth of a 12-ounce bottle).

It goes on to say that there is more of a concentration of alcohol in fruit juice because of the fermentation, than your baby would get after 5 glasses of wine!
  • So having 1 beer is ok nursing? I don't have to pump and dump?
  • 1. How old is your LO?
    4 days

2. Are you breastfeeding, formula feeding, pumping? A combination of two or all three?
    Combo of all three. We had to go to urgent care today for my massive swelling- 3 hours worth of tests and waiting! MIL watched DS and had to give some formula.

3. Any concerns or questions you'd like to share with the group?
    My milk just came in today. I'm just excited he has a good latch. I'm sure I'll have questions later.

GTKY: What's something you do for yourself to maintain your sanity?
    Right now, I am in 100% baby mode still. Once I learn to survive, I'll start worrying about my sanity.
  • I think my supply is starting to die. I'm not doing anything different than I was before and even started drinking the mothers milk tea stuff. I'm barely getting 2ozs every time I pump, and LO drinks 4! I know something is better than nothing but I'm ready to give up. But then I feel so horrible :-/
  • I need a beer. STAT.

Yes you do. It is excellent for your milk supply.

I have enjoyed reconnecting with my corner liquor store after 9 long months. The worst part is I drink my nightly beer on the porch while nursing my LO. Looks terrible I'm sure but he nurses so often its the best way to clear the alcohol from my system before the next feeding. Flame away.
    I've invested in a six pack of Dos Equis Lager and it's fabulous. No flaming here. If you can drive, you can nurse.
  • I think my supply is starting to die. I'm not doing anything different than I was before and even started drinking the mothers milk tea stuff. I'm barely getting 2ozs every time I pump, and LO drinks 4! I know something is better than nothing but I'm ready to give up. But then I feel so horrible :-/

Are you getting enough water and calories? There are other foods/supplements to try, but I don't have any specific recommendations. Good luck!
  • Sammy K said:

I think my supply is starting to die. I'm not doing anything different than I was before and even started drinking the mothers milk tea stuff. I'm barely getting 2ozs every time I pump, and LO drinks 4! I know something is better than nothing but I'm ready to give up. But then I feel so horrible :-/

Are you getting enough water and calories? There are other foods/supplements to try, but I don't have any specific recommendations. Good luck!
    I haven't felt hungry. I probably eat 2 meals a day. Also I feel so busy I don't have time to eat. I have a 7 yr old too and in between pumping and sterilizing and showering lol I barely feel like there's enough time in the day to eat!
  • 1. How old is your LO?
    3 days

2. Are you breastfeeding, formula feeding, pumping? A combination of two or all three?
    Breastfeeding

I'm struggling to know if my milk is coming in. The girls do look bigger today but that's the only thing I have to base this opinion on. Is there a way to know for sure?

Also, my LO seems to spend most of his sleepy time when on the boob, and otherwise just cries or sucks on the boob. DH seems to think that he should be spending his time off boob sleeping peacefully, and only crying when he wants to nurse or needs to be changed. I know that newborns just... cry, and you try to soothe them, but he wants me to ask you ladies anyway. LO has been this way since before we left the hospital.

GTKY: What's something you do for yourself to maintain your sanity?
    Regarding the ongoing discussion about beer... I did just have half of a milk stout with my dinner. Mtly reward fornmaking it thru the 1st 24 hours at home. I love milk stouts so I knew I would have some even tho LO is young. I plan to keep it at only a half a beer with dinner on occasion tho until he is bigger. I dunno exactly when, but I just don't want to drink a full beer while nursing right now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sammy K said:

I need a beer. STAT.

Yes you do. It is excellent for your milk supply.

I have enjoyed reconnecting with my corner liquor store after 9 long months. The worst part is I drink my nightly beer on the porch while nursing my LO. Looks terrible I'm sure but he nurses so often its the best way to clear the alcohol from my system before the next feeding. Flame away.
    I'm having one right now! Cheers! :P
    Please explain this beer thing to me! How many is ok and how long do you have to wait to breast feed?!
    Basically your breast milk will match your blood alcohol level - so if you feel tipsy, there will be high alcohol content in your milk. It is best to drink while baby is on the boob or just coming off the boob, to give you as much time as possible between feedings, to process the alcohol. So how much depends on how your body processes and how often LO nurses... But you can probably safely have two, if you time it right. Some women have more, but two is my personal limit and I've been sticking to one.

There are beers called milk stout that are particularly good. Malty-er beers are what you're looking for.
    Your liver will break down the "dangerous" part of alcohol, your LO will not have to process it.. Cheers
  • house86 said:

So having 1 beer is ok nursing? I don't have to pump and dump?

Definitely ok. Pump and Dumping is now considered a needless waste based on recent research.
  • mellymar said:

I'm struggling to know if my milk is coming in. The girls do look bigger today but that's the only thing I have to base this opinion on. Is there a way to know for sure?

Mine was obvious as I woke up in the morning looking like I'd had a botched boob job, but I've had crazy oversupply so it might be atypical. But if your breasts are feeling fuller then that's probably a good sign. You might leak or notice the colour changing from yellow colostrum to white milk, that would probably be another indication.
  • @Kbchavez23
    I'm having the same problem. I'm not consistently getting enough calories or water in during a day. It's hard when you have other children to take care of too. I try and keep up with everything on My Fitness Pal and that helps.
  • 1. LO (aka Baby Buddha) is a little over 1 day old!

2. The plan is to breastfeed and pump-I was almost two weeks over due so I only end up with 8 weeks to get a stash up before I go back to work and I'm nervous. My milk hasn't come in yet though, so that's just the plan.

3. Concerns are latching and my milk eventually coming in. I was trying to keep up with the other breastfeeding board and I know people were struggling with supply. Latching wise, my nips are already a little bruised so I obviously screwed up at least one of the times I fed LO in the last 24 hours, and I hope it doesn't make things totally awful for me in the long run.

4. For fun I read and watch trashy TV. Rereading Song of Ice and Fire, book 4 (Feast for Crows) so I can annoy my DH with all the reasons why the books are better than the movie. Loving Reign right now-seriously, if you like trashy shows made for teenagers that teenagers shouldn't watch, you should really watch this show. It's horrendous but addicting. 
  • @SmashJam re: point 3, try not to feel like you "screwed up" with his latch. Just look at it as still learning, and an indicator to keep working on it. Breastfeeding is hard! No need to add performance pressure. I bet you're doing well, if you weren't in pain at a feed where the latch wasn't quite right. Lanolin and patience. You got this!
  • @virginiaunicorn11 thanks for the uplifting words! I will try super hard not to sound a little negative-you are right I just started! :)
  • @SmashJam we could be book/tv twins. I LOVE Reign (waiting on season 2 on Netflix) & have read GoT a couple times (all except DWD, still waiting a bit to reread). You would like Merlin (on Netflix) & Sarah J. Maas books too I bet!
  • house86 said:

Definitely ok. Pump and Dumping is now considered a needless waste based on recent research.
    Do not pump and dump.. Ever (unless you are an alcoholic in which I doubt you would have supply to dump)
  • @krystleshel thanks for the recommendations! I will look into both of them for sure! I am also currently powering through the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, but take a break between books so I can actually read other things. I am getting ready to read book 5 and I think there are 15 books, so I have a ways to go, haha. 
  • HayesRN13 said:

house86 said:

Do not pump and dump.. Ever (unless you are an alcoholic in which I doubt you would have supply to dump)
    With DS, I pumped and dumped once (several years ago) and cried watching 9 oz of milk go down the drain. Never again. I'm glad research has progressed. I still stick to one drink per feeding, or 2-3 hours, just to be safe.