June 2015 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding Check-in Week of 6/22

Re: Breastfeeding Check-in Week of 6/22

• Options
    I bought the breast milk storage & feeding pack. It has 12 little containers (12.99). I like them because you can just sterilize and reuse. I also invested in the sterilize bags (5.99) came with 5. Saves tons of time! & extra bra pass. I bought the big box of 120 for like $12. Other than that I just use what came with the pump.
    kes166 !! I thankfully have a boppy and a nice supply of lanolin samples (my mom is a L&D nurse and has started a collection for me). I figure I can invest the $20-30 in some of the storage bags and sterilizing bags. If it ends up i totally bail on pumping at least that's not a ton of cash to have wasted. You ladies are amazing! Reading your experiences is helping prep me for what's coming. I appreciate it so much!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    @Mommaswizz you have way more than I did! I am a broken record, but HIGHLY recommend the book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. And reading it asap, before LO arrived, if possible.

Not sure what the equivalent would be in the U.S., but what's saving me are these medicated inserts that keep my nipples soft. They're like big, non-sticky bandaids. I personally like them better than lanolin because they're constant, but sounds like most people swear by the lanolin.

Couldn't live without my Boppy knock off. Will look into the other one @kes166 recommends because I do wish my pillow was bigger.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    1. How old is your LO?
    My twin girls are 3 weeks tomorrow. (STM)

2. Are you breastfeeding, formula feeding, pumping? A combination of two or all three?
    I am breastfeeding and pumping. The girls nurse really well. I pump to give dh a chance to feed the girls and for a stash when I go back to work. I'm very grateful that I haven't had to supplement with formula. My supply is good now. I can feed both girls for 20-30 minutes and still pump between 2-5 ounces afterwards.

3. Any concerns or questions you'd like to share with the group? Nothing I have questions about. I will try to help answer questions like other stm's.

GTKY: What's something you do for yourself to maintain your sanity?
    I love going for walks. Also just a nice hot shower really makes me feel good. We have an almost 3 year old son and the twins, so not a lot of down time for us.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    edited June 2015
    @virginiaunicorn11 - FYI, the my brest friend pillow isn't really that much bigger than my boppy knock off, but it has this arm thing that wraps around my back and straps to the front. I'm doing a horrible job describing it, but the gist is that it helps the pillow stay in place, which I find really helpful. Here's a link to it on Amazon if you think that sounds like something that would help you! I have the green paisley one. 

• Options
    MurLindzz said:

3. How was others first few nights for sleeping? I was sure I saw a thread on it before baby was born but now I can't seem to find it. This LO won't let me put him down to sleep. He wants to sleep with a boob in his mouth, and when he can't have that he'll settle for sleeping on my chest but I can't set him down beside me on the bed or in the bassinet without him fussing and waking up. It's only been two nights, but if anyone has advice, please share! :)

Our twins were like that the first few nights. They had to be held. We introduced the paci, and that helps a lot! We also started putting them in their rock n plays during the day. They didn't like them, but we stayed right there to rock and comfort them. We maybe did it for 10 minutes the first time, 20 the next and just worked our way up. Now they sleep in them with no problem at all. We do have to put them in the swaddle me wraps during the night. They like to be tucked in and warm. Hope this helps!

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

@virginiaunicorn11 i'm kicking myself for not having read more baby books that would help me for AFTER the baby is born. I spent to much time with what to expect when you're expecting. I just started a book a friend recommended for sleep training but i figure i have time for when that will be useful. I'm gonna order the book you recommended now and jump start that. I appreciate the recommendation!!

Ditto! I may buy it for my e-reader because it's BIG and reading it while nursing (which is when I have the time) isn't working too well!
  • Options
    seeseaseesea member

I bought the breast milk storage & feeding pack. It has 12 little containers (12.99). I like them because you can just sterilize and reuse. I also invested in the sterilize bags (5.99) came with 5. Saves tons of time! & extra bra pass. I bought the big box of 120 for like $12. Other than that I just use what came with the pump.

kes166 !! I thankfully have a boppy and a nice supply of lanolin samples (my mom is a L&D nurse and has started a collection for me). I figure I can invest the $20-30 in some of the storage bags and sterilizing bags. If it ends up i totally bail on pumping at least that's not a ton of cash to have wasted. You ladies are amazing! Reading your experiences is helping prep me for what's coming. I appreciate it so much!

Ditto to what @virginiaunicorn11 said. You are more prepared than I was when I first started and get the book! Also, if lanolin doesn't work out for you, you could try earth mama angel baby nipple butter. I honestly prefer it over the lanolin since it's not sticky.

One more thing if you decide to pump get flanges that fit correctly. An LC at the hospital got a set for me so you may not have to pay for any. The set that comes with the pump isn't a one size fits all type of thing.
  • Options
    seeseaseesea member

Zulily has kiinde right now with their feeding system and heating contraption (warms bottles and frozen breastmilk bags etc) it is a little starter kit and not too expensive!

Are you using this system? I've always wondered about it and am thinking of trying it out.
  • Options
    @CillyMama I have the warmer to defrost the frozen breastmilk because I like the way it defrosts (I can't remember it I researched it when I did my registry). I don't have the twist system because I'm using the lansinoh bags for freezing (again with the research ha!) but I've read good reviews on the system. They make adapters to pump directly into the bag too.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    seeseaseesea member

1. 1 week old
    2. EBF
    3. My boobs hate the pump. Anyone else? I make plenty of milk to feed LO. And they even leak during the night. But when I try to pump I don't even get 1/4 oz! It's very frustrating. I'm going to have to go back to work sooner than Id like but if my pumping continues to go this way, I see a lot of formula in my babies future. :(

I'm the same way. A pump isn't as efficient as a baby. Whenever I'd pump at work I have to look at pictures/videos of my LO to get a letdown. It also helped having a bottle of the same lotion I use for the baby handy. I would rub it on my hands and smell it. Sounds so weird I know but there's something about engaging your senses that reminds you of the baby that helps with letdown. You could also try power pumping.

Here's a link to help you get started
    https://www.workandpump.com

Good luck and hang in there!
  • Options
    I feel like I'm on the brink of mastitis. I feel like shit and I have this awful spot I cannot get rid of regardless of compression and massage it's so painful. No fever. I keep feeding her from that side to get it to unclog but it won't. Getting discouraged/nervous.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    @dancegurl1118 have you tried laying baby on her back and leaning over her to nurse? Sounds crazy but Gravity is your best defense in my opinion. It works best after a really hot relaxing shower!
  • Options
    @SammeMotley yes :( I have an angry red patch at the site too. It didn't even lessen after a 20 min scalding shower with massage. I feel awful. Going to pick up some antibiotics now...
  • Options
    Ouch!! So sorry! Feel better! @dancegurl1118
  • Options
    @dancegurl1118
    Sorry it wasn't going away on its own! The antibiotic should help you feel better. It did me a couple weeks ago. Keep it up! It'll go away in no time!
  • Options
    seeseaseesea member
    @dancegurl1118 feel better soon! I'm glad you're getting antibiotics. The first time I had mastitis I didn't have a fever either but I got antibiotics anyway.
  • Options
    Thanks guys :) I'm just sad because we had plans for tonight to go visit our grandparents but we'd get home late so I don't want to mess up her sleep schedule because if I have another night of no sleep (I was up trying to do warm compress and pumping and icing last night) I may jump off a cliff...LO is so freaking busy during the day she doesn't sleep. Everyone comments "wow she is so alert why doesn't she sleep?" And I say I KNOW.
  • Options
    1. How old is your LO? 1 week

2. Are you breastfeeding, formula feeding, pumping? A combination of two or all three? Breastfeeding and pumping for later, no bottle-feeding yet.

3. Any concerns or questions you'd like to share with the group? I'm having a miserable time pumping. I get like twenty seconds of good let down, and then it's over. I have to put everything down and wait a minute and then start over. I'm not sure how I will manage this when I go back to work.

GTKY: What's something you do for yourself to maintain your sanity? Reading
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • Options
    1. 3 days old tonight.
    2. Exclusively breast feeding. I return to work in September though so will start pumping closer to that date.
    3. My milk supply really just came in. He nurses like a champ but holy god, does he have some kind of latch. And my nipples. Just ouch.
  • Options
    1. How old is your LO?
    3 weeks today!

2. Are you breastfeeding, formula feeding, pumping? A combination of two or all three?
    Breastfeeding

3. Any concerns or questions you'd like to share with the group?
    Those of you that are breastfeeding and pumping to freeze for when you return to work, what's your pumping schedule? My LO eats mainly on one side at each feeding. I've pumped my normal feeding to give DH a chance to give him a bottle, and am able to get 5 oz on the side he was scheduled to eat on and hardly anything on the other side. I need to start getting a supply going, but am not sure when to pump to maximize the output, and not take away a feeding from him.
  • Options
    @KonaCoffeeBean Is LO in the room with you? If not, have you tried looking at pictures? It really does help. So do massage while pumping. Someone earlier mentioned using LO's lotion to help. Stress makes it harder, so try to relax, think of LO and what a great thing you're doing.

I apologize for saying "try to relax" since it is the most useless piece of advice ever, but stress will hurt your ability to pump.
  • Options
    1. 2 weeks old today 2. Trying to EBF but because of such a low supply we are supplementing a lot. Going to bring out the pump after we move in a week to see if that helps 3. Any insight anyone has about increasing my supply would be greatly appreciated! GTKY- I read and do puzzles like crosswords I'm a nerd I know :-B
  • Options
    Have been fighting a clog all day. Sleep and water have been surprisingly effective in addition to the usual arsenal. My Medela Harmony arrives Friday, so hoping I can hang on til then...
  • Options
    1. 5 weeks old
    2. BF, pump and feed from the bottle, and formula 2-3x/wk (yeah I'm all over the place!)
    3. My right nipple had a blister on it and I haven't BF from it in a couple days. Too scared it may hurt. Just been using the left breast. I know I'm going to have to eventually feed from it again but I'm sooo tired of being in pain!

To keep my sanity I watch movies during the day and read when I can. Also bumping helps a lot too :)
  • Options
    klkonwiklkonwi member
    edited June 2015
    1. 3 days old
    2. Breastfeeding and pumping
    @MurLindzz I'm having the same troubles. This babe will not sleep without being held or boob....... Bah!
    Any STM care to elaborate how to break this? With non stop visitors holding and us holding him it seems impossible
  • Options
    1. 3 weeks old on Saturday- phew time is flying already!
    2. Breastfeeding and pumping to try to get a supply started in the freezer
    3. My supply has decreased this week. Everyone keeps telling me that it's normal and my body is regulating for what baby needs but I'm really trying to get a stock going in the freezer and it is just not working! My hubs is a teacher and his last day of work is Friday then he will be home until September so it would be great for him to be able to help with a few pumped bottles a day! But alas my boobies aren't ready to give it up! I started taking fenugreek and I'm drinking mothers milk tea and I may make some lactation cookies this weekend to see if I can get some more milk flowing!
    Lo was only 5lbs 9oz when born and had to stay in the nicu for 4 days dt low blood sugars and jaundice and his weight dropped to 4lbs 14 oz. we have an appt with peds tomorrow and really hoping he hits his birth weight or we may have to start supplementing with formula. We were doing this in the nicu but he would vomit every feed, which he has not done since he has had exclusive breast milk.

Sorry for my rambling! Haven't posted much since Lo was born and needed to express all my anxieties!!!!
  • Options
    klkonwi said:

Any STM care to elaborate how to break this? With non stop visitors holding and us holding him it seems impossible

I wasn't able to with DS and I'm not even trying with LO. It took about 2 weeks for this stage to pass last time. Since they go from being warm and "held" 24/7, and they could always hear your heartbeat and breathing, I figure it takes a while to adjust to life on the outside. Check that LO is warm enough, too
    I'm still amazed at how poorly they can regulate the temperature.
  • Options
    LO's first weight check is in a few hours and I'm so nervous/anxious!! I've really put too much stress on myself with this boob juice business. I mean, what's the big deal if I fail?? It doesn't mean I've failed her. It's not like she won't survive on formula. So why am I so paranoid?!?
  • Options
    1. How old is your LO? 2 weeks 4 days

2. Are you breastfeeding, formula feeding, pumping? A combination of two or all three? Exclusively breastfeeding. Have pumped a bit to practice. Will start letting dad and big brother feed him with a bottle either at 3 or 4 weeks.

3. Any concerns or questions you'd like to share with the group? He sleeps a lot and sometimes will go 4-5 hour without eating. Also having neck/ upper back pains for almost a week and think it's from feeding him. Switched to a recliner chair to feed him as much as I can any advice?.

GTKY: What's something you do for yourself to maintain your sanity? Shop online : ).
  • Options
    Okay reading moms, I need suggestions on good books. I just finished Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons.
  • Options
    btm013btm013 member
    LO's first weight check is in a few hours and I'm so nervous/anxious!! I've really put too much stress on myself with this boob juice business. I mean, what's the big deal if I fail?? It doesn't mean I've failed her. It's not like she won't survive on formula. So why am I so paranoid?!?

Good luck!! Let us know how it goes

• Options
    After 4 nights of holding a fussy LO from 11pm to 7am, I am going to try going dairy free. Advice anyone? My big question is whether I really need to cut all trace dairy or I can just drop milk, cheese, ice cream and all obvious dairy sources? I have been eating a lot of dairy and I don't have much reason to suspect a dairy allergy, he's just so fussy and nursing doesn't calm him so I wonder if its a sensitivity and at this point I need to try something.
  • Options
    @henrytviii from what I've read you should cut out all dairy even trace dairy to fully rule it out and then you can reintroduce trace dairy after a few weeks (it takes 2-3 weeks to get out of your system). Good luck!
  • Options
    amabarne said:
    Okay reading moms, I need suggestions on good books. I just finished Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons.
    Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon if you want something that will last you a while and you're not offended by books with lots of violence, sex, and a fair amount of profanity. Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert if you want something uplifting. The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult if you want something that asks interesting moral questions. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen if you want a classic love story that's not super hard to get into. Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier if you like suspense. If you're not opposed to children's books, A Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz is basically a horror novel / twisted fairy tale for 12 year old boys and it's actually really good. 

That should cover most of your bases :) 
  • Options
    If you're looking for a light "beachy" read anything by Liane Moriarty is great! I just finished What Alice Forgot (it was my breastfeeding at night read) and it was great. Her other books are wonderful as well, notably The Husband's Secret and Big Little Lies. If you're looking for something with more substance All the Light We Cannot See was phenomenal. Set in WW2.
  • Options
    1. 3 weeks today
    2. Breastfeeding and pumping to get some saved up when I return to work.
    3. Having problems with pumping can't get more then 3/4th an oz. And I'm worried because I return to work Tuesday and cannot seem to get enough out no matter what I do. I'm thinking about maybe buying a new pump to see if that's the problem.