June 2015 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding Check-in Week of 6/22

So I thought I'd go ahead and start this check-in. It's my feeble attempt at keeping things organized. Whether or not you breastfeed anyone is welcome to participate and ask questions or give feedback.

1. How old is your LO?

2. Are you breastfeeding, formula feeding, pumping? A combination of two or all three?

3. Any concerns or questions you'd like to share with the group?

GTKY: What's something you do for yourself to maintain your sanity?

Re: Breastfeeding Check-in Week of 6/22

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    aj1327aj1327 member

1. LO is just short of two weeks old.

2. I'm Breastfeeding and pumping occasionally to build supply and start an emergency stash.

3 I'm terrified I'm not going to make enough milk/ and she isn't gaining weight. We have weight check Thursday, and if they tell me to supplement formula I will throw a fit.

Due to lack of sleep, I'm not in the position to judge my sanity.

Do you know for sure she isn't or your just worried? I'm only asking because I was also terrified of this and LO is gaining like a champ. Hang in there!
  • Options
    amccoy129 said:

1. LO is just short of two weeks old.

2. I'm Breastfeeding and pumping occasionally to build supply and start an emergency stash.

3 I'm terrified I'm not going to make enough milk/ and she isn't gaining weight. We have weight check Thursday, and if they tell me to supplement formula I will throw a fit.

Due to lack of sleep, I'm not in the position to judge my sanity.

Do you know for sure she isn't or your just worried? I'm only asking because I was also terrified of this and LO is gaining like a champ. Hang in there!
    I'm just worried. I've been stressing over breastfeeding since I decided to do it. Mainly, because I've only ever formula fed. I would be heartbroken if it didn't work out.
  • Options
    katyertl said:

3. I'm concerned about my milk supply and how my boobs will be during this transition to formula. We're adding a formula feeding every few days. She's doing really great with it. Just nervous about how my boobs will take it lol
    Any advice to anyone who switched to formula now or with another child? I still want to BF her a few times a day. Maybe morning and bedtime but that would be it.

@katyertl I've already had to transition my LO to formula, which I was really bummed about, but after some research I was able to lessen my supply without much trouble. I had been pumping exclusively, so to transition, I slowly pumped less and less each day spacing time between pumping further out. Since you'd still like to nurse a few times a day I'm sure you could probably do the same with nursing less and less slowly throughout a week or two. My supply has slowly gone down and I was only uncomfortable for a few days. I just keep wearing supportive sports bras with pads to catch any leaking. Hope this helps a little!
  • Options
    1. How old is your LO?
    Rohan is 12 days old today.

2. Are you breastfeeding, formula feeding, pumping? A combination of two or all three?
    Just breastfeeding for the moment

LO seems to swallow alot of gas when he nurses - we have to burp him for quite a bit after each feed. Any tips to reduce this, or at least speed up the burping process?
    My other main issue is that my right nipple is still really sore. I think there's a crack where he bit me the other day, and it's pinched every time he latches on. Didn't help that he kicked me there while feeding on the other side last night.
    And if anyone has any tips on how not to get covered in milk while breastfeeding that would be appreciated!

Just getting out of the house for a few hours has worked wonders. Yesterday evening DH and I strapped LO into the car and drove halfway across town to a coffee shop just to get out for an hour. LO loves the car, he slept for 3 hours solid afterwards!
  • Options
    seeseaseesea member

swaugh14 said:

katyertl said:

3. I'm concerned about my milk supply and how my boobs will be during this transition to formula. We're adding a formula feeding every few days. She's doing really great with it. Just nervous about how my boobs will take it lol
    Any advice to anyone who switched to formula now or with another child? I still want to BF her a few times a day. Maybe morning and bedtime but that would be it.

@katyertl I've already had to transition my LO to formula, which I was really bummed about, but after some research I was able to lessen my supply without much trouble. I had been pumping exclusively, so to transition, I slowly pumped less and less each day spacing time between pumping further out. Since you'd still like to nurse a few times a day I'm sure you could probably do the same with nursing less and less slowly throughout a week or two. My supply has slowly gone down and I was only uncomfortable for a few days. I just keep wearing supportive sports bras with pads to catch any leaking. Hope this helps a little!
    That's good to know! I plan on EBF for 2-3 weeks, then start building a stash (I'm a teacher, so when school starts back I'll need formula for daycare.). & then I want to try to pump 2-3 times at school & BF early morning & afternoon/night.
    That's the dream at least. Like my idea of labor, I'm reminding myself to stay flexible.
    @krystleshel I'm a teacher too! Pumping at school is doable. It's hard at first but once you get the rhythm of things it's a breeze. It does get lonely sometimes not being able to hang out other teachers lounge during lunch though.

@SammeMotley I'm rooting for you! Hang in there!
  • Options
    1. Spencer is 12 days old today.
    2. Breastfeeding and pumping. Depends on the mood, plans for the day, and how engorged I am.
    3. Any tips on how to handle a MIL that is constantly giving "tips" like "give the baby water between feedings" & "you aren't dressing the baby properly" when my dr says I'm doing a good job?! Just venting really
  • Options
    1. Alan aka Angry Bird will be 4 weeks tomorrow.

2. EBF but I just pumped for the first time. Gotta get LO used to a bottle before I go back to work! Thank goodness I have my own office to pump in (Audiologist so I'll pump in my nice, peaceful sound booth)!!!

3. It's been a long month full of cracked nipples and a bout with mastitis. Nipples are still not healing! Any pumping moms see a difference in cracking pain when they started pumping?

GTKY: Read! I go through two to three books a week on average. It's my escape from reality. And really good chocolate.
  • Options
    1. 16 Days (STM)
    2. BFing, and pumping only to relieve engorgement. Which was a LOT last week, so I have quite the stash in the freezer already (probably close to 70oz). I'm a high producer (and was with DS as well).
    3. No questions or concerns, but as a STM- am happy to try to provide any help/info where I can!
    4. GTKY: I sing and eat snacks. I'm also a sucker for people watching at parks and coffee shops (while indulging in a coffee/latte/whatever tasty beverage I feel like at the time). I'm waiting to get the green light to start running again. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    btm013btm013 member
    1. How old is your LO?
    4 weeks

Pumping and formula

I'm trying to switch over to formula and am slowly weaning off the pump. I'm up to 4 pumps a day every 6-7 hours. I really just want to be done with it but one morning I woke up severely engorged with a clogged duct. I did ubspeakable things with that pump to get it unclogged (and my sister was more involved than she probably should have been haha). But it scared me from attempting to space it out further. Anyone have experience tapering off the pump? Suggestions for getting through it?

I feel like I'm keeping it together pretty well for the most part. I typically garden at dusk while my husband tends to LO.
  • Options
    btm013 said:

1. How old is your LO?
    4 weeks

Pumping and formula

I'm trying to switch over to formula and am slowly weaning off the pump. I'm up to 4 pumps a day every 6-7 hours. I really just want to be done with it but one morning I woke up severely engorged with a clogged duct. I did ubspeakable things with that pump to get it unclogged (and my sister was more involved than she probably should have been haha). But it scared me from attempting to space it out further. Anyone have experience tapering off the pump? Suggestions for getting through it?

I feel like I'm keeping it together pretty well for the most part. I typically garden at dusk while my husband tends to LO.

I'd love to know suggestions for tapering off too! I only pump every now and then. But I BF and am starting to switch to formula. I'm up to two formula feedings a day and the others BF. I found an example feeding schedule online and am trying to stick to it. It involves adding a formula feeding every few days but I am terrified of becoming engorged or getting a clogged duct.
  • Options
    CillyMama said:

1. How old is your LO?

1) My boy is a little over 2 weeks old

2) Only breastfeeding for now, but looking into a manual pump for the occasional engorgement

3) I got a nipple shield which worked wonders at first but started hurting again... Normal?

I have frequent tingling in the nipples and the occasional shooting pain. I'd like it to stop buying don't think anything's really wrong... Is there?

4) I used to spend a day at a Korean bath house to keep my sanity, or read. Since LO arrived, I've been napping and watching Call the Midwife
  • Options
    btm013btm013 member
    @Sammy K thank you so much for the tip! I am going to try that. That's wonderful you were able to pump so much! I get a dismal 1.5-2oz per breast. I tried everything to increase my supply but LO is taking in more formula than BM bc I can't keep up with the demand. It's not what I planned but such is life!
  • Options
    So I fed LO the 2oz I pumped earlier when he woke up and he still proceeded to breastfeed for 20 min on each side. Here less than 2 hours later I'm feeding him again. He took that bottle no problem and downed it in like 5 min. Does that seem too fast? It makes me think I'm not producing enough milk for him.
  • Options
    1-three weeks old today!

2- EBF and pumping to start my stash for work

3- she ate every hour yesterday afternoon and night. Very hard to find time to pump. Going to do it now even though I'd like to be sleeping.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    CillyMama said:

1. How old is your LO?
    Just over 2 weeks old

2. Are you breastfeeding, formula feeding, pumping? A combination of two or
    Pumping mostly but thanks to the shield we now bf too

Sometimes I don't pump for several hours now im concerned that my supply will suck and my dh will be super pissed.

Im not sure im totally sane so... I guess I just keeping thinking eventually she will eat solid foods and sleep all night lol.

Edited to add the shopping part.

• Options
    Here's a good article if you're worried about supply and timing for EBF babies. Basically, we're all worried about meeting guidelines when everyone is different. I thought some of you might find it reassuring.

https://www.emmapickettbreastfeedingsupport.com/twitter-and-blog/the-dangerous-game-of-the-feeding-interval-obsession
  • Options
    @emaddock Ooo, I loved Crazy Rich Asians and didn't know there's a sequel!
  • Options
    Tagging @wafa87 who started a thread looking for advice. Redirecting her here.
  • Options
    beckyk9109beckyk9109 member
    edited June 2015
    My twin girls are 5 1/2weeks today! We're exclusively pumping (premie babies who never quite got the latch for breastfeeding). My left side produces wayyyy more than my right side. While I get 3-4oz from left side, I'm lucky to get 1oz from my right. I don't have clogged ducts or anything, so what gives? We've been using a lot more formula than I would like because I'm only producing enough to feed one child, not two. I've been taking fenugreek (which was great in the beginning), made lactation cookies, and drinking mothers milk tea. I'm getting so discouraged...
  • Options
    1. 1 week old
    2. EBF
    3. My boobs hate the pump. Anyone else? I make plenty of milk to feed LO. And they even leak during the night. But when I try to pump I don't even get 1/4 oz! It's very frustrating. I'm going to have to go back to work sooner than Id like but if my pumping continues to go this way, I see a lot of formula in my babies future. :(
  • Options
    1. How old is your LO? 3 weeks 1 day

2. Are you breastfeeding, formula feeding, pumping? A combination of two or all three? Mostly breastfeeding, pumping a bit so DH can give her a bottle at night and I can get some extra sleep. 

3. Any concerns or questions you'd like to share with the group? I'm still not totally sure that she's latching right, especially on my right side - it's super painful when she first latches on. Sometime the pain goes away, sometimes it doesn't. It doesn't help that my right nipple is cracked. Oy. No fun. I'm going to a La Leche League meeting on Friday (can't wait!!!)  so hopefully this will be corrected soon. 

GTKY: What's something you do for yourself to maintain your sanity? Well, my schoolwork is helping me maintain a life outside of Mommyland, only because it's something I HAVE to do. It's good and bad, because while it does give me something to focus on other than LO, it's also a distraction sometimes and causes some stress. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ok ladies, i'm crashing your breastfeeding party with a few questions i was hoping you could help me with. I know you ladies are busy so i didnt want to post in FFFQ and have the new mommies miss the question. As of now the only breastfeeding/ nursing/pumping equipment i have is what came with the basic medela pump and various samples of nursing pads, lanolin cream, and similar stuff. I have bottles people bought me on the registry but not really any breast milk storage bags.

SO  i dont want to invest too much money into extra tubes, pump cleaning supplies, nipple care products, etc.. if it ends up that breastfeeding doesnt work for me.. What items would you say are worth investing in to help me give this a fighting chance? Obviously if thigns are going well, i can order more supplies as needed. I'm just curious if i should have more stuff for as soon as she arrives. Or if you guys recommend i just wait and see how things go before purchasing any thing at all.

I appreciate the help/insight mommas!

• Options

Ok ladies, i'm crashing your breastfeeding party with a few questions i was hoping you could help me with. I know you ladies are busy so i didnt want to post in FFFQ and have the new mommies miss the question. As of now the only breastfeeding/ nursing/pumping equipment i have is what came with the basic medela pump and various samples of nursing pads, lanolin cream, and similar stuff. I have bottles people bought me on the registry but not really any breast milk storage bags.

SO  i dont want to invest too much money into extra tubes, pump cleaning supplies, nipple care products, etc.. if it ends up that breastfeeding doesnt work for me.. What items would you say are worth investing in to help me give this a fighting chance? Obviously if thigns are going well, i can order more supplies as needed. I'm just curious if i should have more stuff for as soon as she arrives. Or if you guys recommend i just wait and see how things go before purchasing any thing at all.

I appreciate the help/insight mommas!

I bought the breast milk storage & feeding pack. It has 12 little containers (12.99). I like them because you can just sterilize and reuse. I also invested in the sterilize bags (5.99) came with 5. Saves tons of time! & extra bra pass. I bought the big box of 120 for like $12. Other than that I just use what came with the pump.
  • Options
    Zulily has kiinde right now with their feeding system and heating contraption (warms bottles and frozen breastmilk bags etc) it is a little starter kit and not too expensive!
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.