May 2014 Moms
Options

The Big Snooze (Sleep Thread)

Re: The Big Snooze (Sleep Thread)

• Options
    @KellyQ116‌ I feed him each time he gets up. He will only take 2 oz same. And then he's out. I tried just shooshing him and rocking and it didn't work. Well we only had 3 days and now he's back to his same schedule. So let's pray that was it!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @THD7580‌ Cute! I can't decide btwn that or the magic Merlin suit. I need to hurry tho!
    Thanks for your feedback ladies. Just didn't want to create bad habits but it doesn't seem she'll go back down wo eating. I'm hoping this phase passes quickly!
  • Options
    @anniemore Thanks.  She still startles but I though the zipadee thing was supposed to help with that too.  May just bite the bullet and buy the Merlin suit.  Both are expensive really. She hates the swaddle so I'm sure she'll love the suit or the zipee
  • Options
    KellyQ116 said:
    Ok the 4 month pain-the-a$$ wakeful..... Do you feed them every time they are up? I gave her the boob at 12a when she woke up. She seemed to eat a lot. At 3am I tried to calm her wo feeding her but she wasn't having it. More boob. She fussed around 4 but when back to sleep on own. Then she was up again at 5am. DH thankfully took this over. She was up until 6:20! She took 2 oz of a bottle but that's it. So are yours eating each time? Are you having any success getting them back down wo doing so?
    Typically we go to bed at 830, are up at 11, then every hour to 2 hours after that. I typically resort to just nursing him so I can go back to sleep faster. Patting and shushing isn't doing much (maybe a 25% success rate). The swing has worked in the past if I am willing to go downstairs. I can hold him with a paci until he falls asleep, but he has a tendency to wake up the second I put him back in his crib. So yeah, I just feed him each time. I want this to be over soooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad. I think I was less tired when he was a newborn. 

To respond to some people who are asking how long their LOs have been going through the sleep regression, we are coming up on 2 weeks on Thursday....... no end in sight yet.
  • Options
    Broke down and bought Merlin's suit. Stupid thing better be magic, we went from having a pretty good sleeper to having a girl who wakes up hourly. Going on night 3 of this and I'm so spent! I used to be able to just pull her into bed with us and she'd be out like a light, not anymore!
  • Options

Broke down and bought Merlin's suit. Stupid thing better be magic, we went from having a pretty good sleeper to having a girl who wakes up hourly. Going on night 3 of this and I'm so spent! I used to be able to just pull her into bed with us and she'd be out like a light, not anymore!

Same here, just ordered it this morning. I'm dying...it really better be magic! Wah.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Ugh. Tried putting dd back in her crib. Before she was rolling herself onto her tummy and face planting so we moved her back to her RnP. Well she was okay sleeping on her side in the crib, 15-20 min later we could hear her roll over. I went in her room and watched her, didn't want to pick her up right away that way she could try to figure it out. She kept turning her head but would not leave it that way. After ten minutes or so of her squirming around and face planting, I picked her up and now she's back in her RnP. I just wish she would be okay in her crib :-/. Guess more tummy time during the day might help but she just doesn't seem comfortable enough with her head being sideways...
  • Options
    @kendy20‌ we are going through this exact thing right now. DS is in the process of rolling from back to tummy and being face down. I rolled him back over after he was face down. Mind you he has a really bad cold and can't breathe already. He loves to sleep face down when he naps and eventually moves his head when he can't breath but I'm like nope not in the middle of the night when I need to sleep kid!
  • Options
    jsquaree said:

Ladies and gentlemen, the 4 month wakefuls.
    LO is waking up every 20 minutes tonight, desperate to play. No, sir. No you may not.

Right there with you sister! How is my baby such a perfect doll all day and such a monster at night?!?
  • Options
    How many are putting their babies "drowsy but awake?" .. this is where we are failing in the sleep department. I feel like in order to accomplish this, we would need to CIO and I'm not doing that. Im going to talk to the ped at our 4 month appointment to see what she recommends but I'm confused on what to do. They say to put them down drowsy but awake but also to not let them CIO at this age (which I don't want to do anyways)... it's a contradiction. A contradiction I tell you!!
  • Options
    We used to be able to do this when our LO was very young and he'd fall asleep on his own.  Here lately it doesn't work without major crying.   We either have to stay with him while shushing, head stroking & holding the pacifier in OR pick him back up and let him nurse to sleep.   So it is a step backwards, but on the flip side, he is sleeping longer at night these days.   Anytime I feel like we're making progress in one area, another area slips.   I guess it will eventually all come together though.
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Options
    How many are putting their babies "drowsy but awake?" .. this is where we are failing in the sleep department. I feel like in order to accomplish this, we would need to CIO and I'm not doing that. Im going to talk to the ped at our 4 month appointment to see what she recommends but I'm confused on what to do. They say to put them down drowsy but awake but also to not let them CIO at this age (which I don't want to do anyways)... it's a contradiction. A contradiction I tell you!!
    We've lucked out here.  DD goes down drowsy but awake.  She'll stare at the monitor.  I swear its like she knows we are watching her.  We watch her little eyes get droopy and eventually close.   We didn't do anything special.  She's just always done this since we've had her in the crib.  She gets pretty sleepy during the feed.  Sometimes she is drowsier than others.  Sometimes she is still pretty awake and I don't think she'll fall asleep but she does.  Sometimes she is already asleep in my arms.    If she was still crying, which happens occasionally, I would rock her to sleep.  I'm all for fussing it out but not crying it out.  
  • Options

Yeah, this almost never works for us. If bebe's drowsy but awake when I put her down, she's instantly alert and awake when her back touches the mattress. Not fussy usually, but wide awake and ready to play. If she's swaddled, she'll just kick her legs up in the air and grin and laugh and warble away. It's pretty damn cute, TBH, but gets us nowhere closer to this mythical learning to put herself to sleep.
  • Options
    athn64 said:

We put DD down almost asleep. Her eyes are generally tiny slits when she's laid down and then she'll open them once to look at me and be out.

But that can be hit or miss. She can wake back up to full alertness. I generally try to leave her in the crib and stroke her cheek or rub her belly to calm her back down.

This is us exactly and I always wonder if it counts as drowsy but awake
  • Options
    ns1 said:

I shared this article once, but I thought it appropriate again.  Baby sleep is hard.  I've read too much.  Now I've given up and am doing whatever I feel is right for our family and just trying to be sensible and enjoy our kids.  

So this.
  • Options
    Merlin's magic suit didn't arrive...wahhhhh :(( :(( :((

Maybe I will get to sleep this weekend. Crossing my fingers it arrives tomorrow X_X
  • Options
    LO is not sleeping. Tonight is the worst yet -- no more than an hour of sleep ay a stretch for her. My grand total for the night is under an hour so far. FML.
  • Options
    After I nurse DD, I lay her in her crib. Sometimes she falls asleep while nursing. She always wakes up when I put her down. She could talk to herself, watch her fish tank toy, or fuss for 5 minutes or so. I let her fuss and she falls asleep. There is a difference between crying and fussing. Fussing is okay in my book.

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    usernewnameusernewname member
    edited September 2014
    I wish DS would just fuss when I put him down in his crib drowsy but awake or when he wakes up when I put him in the crib. It always turns into full hysterical crying. :( I'm still nursing him to sleep every time.
    Same. DS will full on cry when he's laid down in his bed. But now he falls asleep nursing and I can transfer him to my bed for up to an hour. To me thats huge progress from needing the carrier to fall asleep to being able to nurse him to sleep and transfer him. He's just so damn nosey and distractible during the day - has to know everything and anything! I did find though nursing before sleep gave him better quality naps - as he could sleep past a half hour to an hour without waking up starving.

ETA: the nursing to sleep doesn't bother me, as I know he will probably nurse to sleep during the day and night before he weans. I've known children who do that and having a meal before sleep just does the same thing, sans boob. Also, he's not a cuddly baby so its the only snuggles I get.
  • Options
    @mk1013 does she still seem hungry when she is done nursing at bedtime?  Have you tried giving her a bottle of pumped milk after you are done nursing?  I know that isn't what the LCs would suggest since it would not help your supply, but maybe it could help fill her up.  We started doing this and it really helped.   The girl was just hungry and she wasn't getting enough from me.  My supply has tanked since I've been back to work.   We have since started supplementing which took a lot of the pressure off and up until the 4mo wakeful has helped her sleep a ton better.     Did the cookies not help!?
  • Options
    KellyQ116 said:
    @mk1013 does she still seem hungry when she is done nursing at bedtime?  Have you tried giving her a bottle of pumped milk after you are done nursing?  I know that isn't what the LCs would suggest since it would not help your supply, but maybe it could help fill her up.  We started doing this and it really helped.   The girl was just hungry and she wasn't getting enough from me.  My supply has tanked since I've been back to work.   We have since started supplementing which took a lot of the pressure off and up until the 4mo wakeful has helped her sleep a ton better.     Did the cookies not help!?
    I've done the same thing with DD. I nurse and will give 2-3 oz maybe 1-2x a week. I feel like it's so hard to figure out my last pump at work to ensure I have enough to nurse DD with at night. I pump 16-20 oz up until noon and then my supply seems to dwindle. So I'm rambling now, but yes, I agree try a pumped bottle. 

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

DD Born @ 40+4

• Options
    KellyQ116 said:
    I've done the same thing with DD. I nurse and will give 2-3 oz maybe 1-2x a week. I feel like it's so hard to figure out my last pump at work to ensure I have enough to nurse DD with at night. I pump 16-20 oz up until noon and then my supply seems to dwindle. So I'm rambling now, but yes, I agree try a pumped bottle. 
    This is me. My last pump is usually around 3pm and usually BF LO at home around 6 (except for the days when she's just eaten at DC).   But I'm super jealous of your 16-20.   Sadly I get 6-9oz.   I find that I get just as much out of 2 pumping sessions than 3 so I've dropped one session.   Then on weekends I attempt to BF her exclusively which doesn't work because she's still hungry so I have to feed her and then give her a bottle (annoying and time consuming).   I honestly don't know if we'll make it to 6 months at this rate.   
    So... that wasn't about sleep at all... oops.   
  • Options
    @kellyq116 - we seem to be on the same schedule. So DD wakes up between 5-6 AM to eat, I nurse her off one breast and then DH takes her (usually in our bed) and I go pump the other breast (I get 5-6 oz). Drop her off at DC (she gets 3 5 oz bottles at DC). I pump between 8-9:30 AM and get 5-8 oz and then a second time (5 oz) around 12:30. Sometimes I'll pump a third time around 3pm, but I only get 3 oz...so I don't always think its worth it depending on my time constraints and work load that day. DD gets her last bottle around 3:30 so by 6:30/7, she's ready to eat. Ugh. 

...yeah, so not about sleep at all, but I'll bring it back to it...I sometimes feel like DD is hungry around 6-7 before she falls asleep at 7:30. I don't get why my supply drops so drastically from morning to evening, but DD seems to sleep better if she has that bottle sometimes. 

DD Born @ 40+4

• Options
    I put him down drowsy but awake lastnight and he put himself to sleep. I'm sure it won't be an every night occurrence as we all know babies are unpredictable but I feel like he was doing it as an "I'll show you mom" thing. :)
  • Options
    becole42 said:
    @KellyQ116‌ I'm not an expert LC, but regardless of how much you get out if the third pumping session, the session tells your body to make more milk. Pumping or nursing as often as baby would eat will keep up your current supply. Adding a pumping session will increase that supply. Taking one away will decrease it ( over time). You may not see the results immediately but I would keep the three sessions regardless of output during that session. This may explain the days you try to breastfeed and don't have enough.
    Totally agree with you in theory but I did the 3 pumping sessions for over a month and it never increased at all (would only get 2-3oz each session), all the while DD was increasing what she was taking at DC.    My job is really hectic and getting in 2 sessions a day is tough enough.  I'm OK with going down to the 2 sessions and realize my supply might further suffer but so far I'm getting the same output.    I have not tried everything (cookies, supplements, tea) but I'm OK with that too.   It was really hard for me to let go and start supplementing but once I did it relieved a lot of pressure that I was putting on myself.  I'm having a tough time with the transition back to work as it is. As I said earlier this situation does complicate the weekends when I just want to BF her all day.  That's probably what upsets me the most.

@mk1013 maybe to start just offer 1-2 oz from a bottle after BF her at night like @Jcrewgirl85 suggested
  • Options
    Well I have to brag because I'm just so happy! DS has been in his zippy for 4 days. First two days were a little rough but last two days he's gone to bed at his normal 630 drowsy and put himself to sleep. And.. I've done his normal dream feed at 930 before I go to bed and he's slept until 7 straight through! Yay!!! I'm praying it stays this way!
  • Options
    @comicsans‌ same here! Sleeping a lot today! Mostly on me but hey she's sleeping so that's a plus. Hoping we are at the end!

• Options
    bazinga++ said:
    Here's my problem. DS has been sleeping like crap for the past week. He moves A LOT in his sleep. No rolling, but he spins circles and wiggles all over. We have discovered that he keeps waking up because he is pushing himself head first into the sides of the crib! Ouch! I can't blame him for waking, but how do I prevent him from doing this? 
    Hello? Am I the only one with a kid that likes to ram head first into the crib?  :-S
      BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    I'm also worried about this! No advice but wanted to commiserate. Also worried about the boy wedging his arm through the rails of the crib and hurting himself.
  • Options
    bazinga++ said:

bazinga++ said:

Here's my problem. DS has been sleeping like crap for the past week. He moves A LOT in his sleep. No rolling, but he spins circles and wiggles all over. We have discovered that he keeps waking up because he is pushing himself head first into the sides of the crib! Ouch! I can't blame him for waking, but how do I prevent him from doing this? 

Hello? Am I the only one with a kid that likes to ram head first into the crib?  :-S

I watch on the video monitor DD smash her head and feet into her bumper all night, I'm sure if it wasn't there she'd be waking up all the time. But I know a bumper is not a popular choice for many ppl. I'm not sure what else to suggest.
  • Options
    letal316 said:
    bazinga++ said:
    I watch on the video monitor DD smash her head and feet into her bumper all night, I'm sure if it wasn't there she'd be waking up all the time. But I know a bumper is not a popular choice for many ppl. I'm not sure what else to suggest.

A bumper if the only thing I could think of, but I'm too scared. He hasn't managed to roll over yet, which makes the idea of them even scarier. Ugh.
      BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    bazinga++ - Yes!  Mine does and also likes to stick his feet in between the crib slats.  That doesn't seem to bother him to much, but it worries me! 

Last night was awful in the sleep department.  He has learned to roll from back to tummy, but not the other way. So every couple of hours, he would get pissed about not being able to roll back over and scream his head off!  I would go in and help him turn over and he would fall back asleep.   But about an hour later, he would flip over again!!  Urrggg!!  Surely, they get the hang of this soon right? Anyone, advice???  Two nights ago, he just slept on his belly with his head turned and it didn't seem to bother him.  One step forward, two steps back always in the sleep department with us!!  
  • Options
    @bazinga++‌ no bumpers in the crib. At all.
  • Options
    bazinga++ said:

letal316 said:

bazinga++ said:

bazinga++ said:

A bumper if the only thing I could think of, but I'm too scared. He hasn't managed to roll over yet, which makes the idea of them even scarier. Ugh.

Have you tried a sleep sack? Might stop him from getting enough traction to scoot up the bed and prevents legs getting through rails

• Options
    @stina76‌ rolling makes sleep the worse for us! DS just mastered back to belly and even though he can roll belly to back too if he's not completely out when you put him down he'll flip over and have a fit that he's on his belly like he didn't do it on purpose or he can't roll back over or something. I remember DD and us losing sleep when she mastered new abilities too.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Love all the commiseration! DD will only sleep on her tummy now that she can roll. She prefers her face down and on top of her pacifier too. She wakes up a few times angry about being on her tummy. The crib sheet gets covered with drool. She also rolls over on her playmat and screams. Fun times!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Emmagk said:
    letal316 said:
    bazinga++ said:

Have you tried a sleep sack? Might stop him from getting enough traction to scoot up the bed and prevents legs getting through rails
    Yay, tried that. He's a determined little sh*t. Nothing can stop him. 
      BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    Dd refuses to nap today. It's 2 and she's been up since 7. Go the fuck to sleep. I think DC lies about these so-called 2 hour naps in the afternoon.

DD Born @ 40+4