Parenting
Options

*JOEBunny*

From my post below

Sure everyone can BF, but not all BM is created equal.  Mine had a low fat content, especially after 6 months when I had lost all the extra weight I had gained from pregnancy.

How did you know about the low fat content?  I have been dieting, would that affect my milk? I haven't heard that before.

DD1 12.18.06 DD2 9.18.08 DD3 EDD 5.10.2012 BabyFruit Ticker

Re: *JOEBunny*

• Options

I have a several friends and a cousin who are peds.  We have talked about this in casual conversation.  I think the biggest eye opener for me was babysitting for another little girl who was 2 weeks older than my DD.  Her mother brought her BM.  When cold, It was like butter, had a thick cap of fat on top when cold.  Mine always had a thin layer on top, never nearly so much fat on top.  Her mom happened to be a ped and we started to talk about it.  Just like everything else about people, not everyone is the same when it comes to the number of calories and makeup of BM. 

My DD is still very small, and doesn't eat much even at almost 3.  Her weight is still an issue, but it has normalized.  She is 23 pounds at 33 months.  We are hoping to get to 24 by 3 to stay on "her" curve.  She still will not eat much food with fat and far prefers fruit.

• Options
    REOMREOM member

My older daughter is dairy intolerant, and never developed a taste for anything sweet.  People find it funny when she asks for pears when someone gives her a cupcake. lol.

Interesting about the BM.  I have noticed that the 'fat ring' at the top varies at times. I honestly don't think that I knew that the composition of BM was different depending on the person, but it makes sense.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

** butting in**

My pumped milk started to look like skim (blue-ish, not fat-- and not just foremilk-- the hindmilk too), and J's weight gain slowed way down when he was 6-ish months

I supplemented with formula, and by 10 months we had stopped nursing altogether. ?He's still only 25% for weight, but for us, the formula really helped. (25% is his curve since birth-- but when he fell to 10-15, I was worried-- my ped. wasn't, but I felt like my milk was not enough for him. ?he also finally started STTN, too and he's not fussy at all anymore-- I really do think he was hungry)?

?

?

• Options
    ZenyaZenya member

REOM see if this helps:

https://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/change-milkfat.html

if you are dieting what is most likely (from what I have read but I don't want to discount JB's experience, either) is that your supply has dropped.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    REOMREOM member

Interesting article. Kellymom has a lot to offer, but I find it hard to maneuver.

I don't think my supply has dropped, since I still pump 6 oz before I go to sleep, but I suppose it's possible.

Thanks again for the help

• Options
    ZenyaZenya member
    well - it sounds like overall she is nursing less, right?  b/c she's kind of refusing on and off?  (distractable).  Is she teething?  Is she still nursing at night?  At that age we did a LOT of nursing at night b/c he would strike during the day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"