April 2014 Moms
Options

Stupid Questions Thread

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

• Options
    @cgoldian I use a dropper that came with mine and I only give about half a dose (right now thats 1.5ml)

LO had a blow out this morning in her rnp. I washed the cover thing but it got all over the buckle straps, any ideas for getting the nasty orange/brown color out of them?
    Together Since 9/14/2008 
    Married since 08/19/2011 
    Audrey born 5/9/2014 

A14 August Siggy Challange: This time Last Year

Me DH
    image image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If I wear perfume/body spray/scented lotion, will it upset my baby? I don't know if I won't smell like Mommy anymore and it'll freak her out or not, but I miss some of my yummy-smelling lotions. =/

A14 Siggy Challenge (November): Favorite Fall Smell
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    rtv3rtv3 member
    Also posted on RTT, how bad is it that I just did skin-to-skin for the first time since the hospital? DD is 5wks and I hold and snuggle her all the time but she's always been wearing at least a onsie. I just never thought about it and now I kinda feel like a bad mom, short-changing my kid :(
    image    image

With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere. - C.S.Lewis

• Options
    When pumping just for comfort from engorgement, how long should I pump?

Photobucket imageimage

• Options

When pumping just for comfort from engorgement, how long should I pump?

I would think this depends on each individual, but for me I usually just fill whatever bottle I'm using. I generally have plenty more milk but get relief from filling either the five ounce bottles or two ounce, which ever I have handy.
  • Options
    hordolhordol member
    edited June 2014
    rtv3 said:

Also posted on RTT, how bad is it that I just did skin-to-skin for the first time since the hospital? DD is 5wks and I hold and snuggle her all the time but she's always been wearing at least a onsie. I just never thought about it and now I kinda feel like a bad mom, short-changing my kid :(

I'm terrible at skin to skin. :( when I was on leave I rarely wore a shirt around the house because of how often he would nurse, but he was always in a onesie or sleeper because he freaks the f out when he is the slightest bit naked and cold. Once we would get wrapped up in blanket and such he was fine, but it felt like such an ordeal so it rarely happened. I hope face to boob is enough skin to skin!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• Options
    When you ladies take your LOs out how to you bring along the formula. Do you put a can in your bag or pour some into something? I will be starting to FF soon and would like some advice! Thanks!! Also..I will be using powder.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/69/1a18c2e7532600b237c0ccef11ba85.jpeg

Proud Mommy of Derek Michael

April 8, 2014 9lb 6oz 21 inches

• Options
    I'm also really bad at doing skin to skin. I don't like being naked so it just doesn't happen very often because I forget about it. Same with dS1 and our bond is plenty strong.
  • Options

Katy0525 said:

When you ladies take your LOs out how to you bring along the formula. Do you put a can in your bag or pour some into something? I will be starting to FF soon and would like some advice! Thanks!! Also..I will be using powder.

I pre-mix the bottles and bring them as-is. If I know I'll be out for a while, I bring one from the fridge (so it's already cold) and put it next to an ice pack in my diaper bag. The chill from the fridge and the ice pack keep it cool forever...I just warm as needed. Some people don't warm at all, whatever works for you!

We'd previously brought measured-out portions of formula in a bag and mixed it with water already in the bottle but that was kind of annoying for us. Just a personal preference!
    Thanks!! I didn't realize you could mix them ahead of time!

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/69/1a18c2e7532600b237c0ccef11ba85.jpeg

• Options
    For formula on the go, we use a formula dispenser and bring bottled water. Pour water into bottle, add formula and shake. This way it's also at room temp and doesn't need warming.
    First we had you.

Then we had you.

Now we are complete.

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the help!

• Options
    rtv3rtv3 member
    edited June 2014
    Really stupid question: will comfort nursing make LO more gassy? She's so uncomfortable even with the massive burps and poops she's slowly been having, nursing is all that sooths her. But I don't want to make the gas worse for the poor thing!

ETA: Thanks for reassurance on the skin-to-skin, ladies! I feel better now :) This baby thing is hard! Everytime I'm feeling good about keeping her alive, fed, and clean, I start to freak about everything I'm not doing...
    image    image

With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere. - C.S.Lewis

• Options
    Katy0525 said:

I bought this 3 portioned container at target (with all of the other bottle stuuf, it's by Munchkin) for the formula and then i bring a water bottle.

• Options
    Since I'm giving DD an antibiotic, should I be giving her probiotics as well to help keep up the good bacteria in her gut? Pedi didn't mention anything. =/

• Options
    Katy0525 said:

They have started making these "to go" bottles that are liquid and don't need heating or mixing. We use those ready made bottles when we are out and about.
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    DD is 10 weeks old and we never started a concrete bedtime routine because she was pretty consistent falling asleep around the same time and we followed her cues about eating/sleeping. The past few days have been total hell with her falling asleep later each night. Last night wasn't until midnight after only taking 2 20 minute naps. Is it too late to try and get her into a solid routine to be down earlier? I see many of you putting your LOs down around 8 and I'd love to do that. I've tried but she's wide awake from 4 to whenever she falls asleep (usually 9:30ish).
  • Options

Katy0525 said:

I bought this 3 portioned container at target (with all of the other bottle stuuf, it's by Munchkin) for the formula and then i bring a water bottle.

Just got one of these! :) I love it!

• Options
    I read in baby 411 that 8 weeks is a good time to stop swaddling for development reasons. We haven't used the velcro swaddler too much but it has been amazing the last 2 weeks, in fact she slept 8 hours straight last night for the first time ever! Tomorrow is 8 weeks for her and I'm not ready to give it up! When they say no more swaddle, do they just mean the Velcro tight ones? I very often just swaddle her in a blanket (which she kicks around in and is decently loose to give her leg and arm room)... Can that continue? Btw she is still in bassinet not alone in crib so I'm not worried too much about sleeping with blanket yet.
  • Options
    P&B715 said:

Katy0525 said:

Katy0525 said:

Just got one of these! :) I love it!

I bought those and now I hate them. I bought tommy tippee individual ones and I love those now. It's double the price as munchkin, but this works Better for us

Ooo awesome! I use tommy tippee products so I will have to check them out!

• Options
    hordolhordol member
    ahoefling said:
    I read in baby 411 that 8 weeks is a good time to stop swaddling for development reasons. We haven't used the velcro swaddler too much but it has been amazing the last 2 weeks, in fact she slept 8 hours straight last night for the first time ever! Tomorrow is 8 weeks for her and I'm not ready to give it up! When they say no more swaddle, do they just mean the Velcro tight ones? I very often just swaddle her in a blanket (which she kicks around in and is decently loose to give her leg and arm room)... Can that continue? Btw she is still in bassinet not alone in crib so I'm not worried too much about sleeping with blanket yet.
    I just got super depressed reading this, lol. LO is 8 weeks tomorrow and I am so dependent on that damn swaddle for my sanity.... I don't think my LO is anywhere close to being able to roll over back to front so I'm not personally going to worry about the swaddle yet.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• Options
    hlm184hlm184 member
    I know I read this recently on here but I don't remember where - what kind of sterilization microwave bags do you recommend?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I use medela too. Seem to work for me!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm totally guessing here so I could be wrong...but I know that doctors have concerns about hip/leg issues when babies are swaddled tightly in a blanket, essentially pinning their legs into a certain position. So maybe that's what they mean? We use a Halo sleep sack and he's free to move his legs around any which way, it's just his arms that are swaddled. I'm assuming that's still fine...because I want it to be. Haha

Is a sleep sack a better option for a baby after 8 weeks?? I'm not gonna lie, I have no idea what the use of one is.. Just so you don't have to use a blanket?
  • Options
    poru said:
    Cross post from RTT. 2+ moms. What the fuck are you supposed to do when both kids are level 5 crying. Sick toddler plus baby who just got shots is not a good combo. They both woke from their nap at the same time and screamed. I tried to hold them both but toddler would kick if baby was there. And if I put LO down she purple cried so hard she started choking. That was a rough hour. I got the baby sleeping and the toddler playing in a dark room (light is giving him headache). So glad it's over. Tips for next time!?!
    FTM, but based on what I'm seeing from a babywearing group I'm in, a popular choice seems to be wearing the toddler on your back and wearing/holding the baby in the front. That way both get physical contact but aren't coming in contact with each other. No idea if that's something you'd feel comfortable/capable of (seems pretty hard to me!) but some moms swear by it. Hope your little ones start feeling better soon!
    TTC #1 since August 2012 |  BFP August 17th, 2013  |    EDD April 25th, 2014
    Living with Vestibulodynia (Chronic pelvic pain)

• Options
    ahoefling said:
    We swaddled DS1 until 5-6 months and he seems fine developmentally. The swaddle is a godsend for better sleep with both kids, so no way I'm giving it up until I have to.
  • Options
    P&B715 said:

Mirena users: this bc is new to me. I got it 6 weeks pp, and now I'm 8 weeks pp still haven't had my period. I know it can lessen the chances of you getting it, but would you still test for pregnancy monthly if you weren't? I know they said that becoming pregnant on it could be bad, and chances or low, but I'm a worrier...

I had the Mirena for 3 years and never got a period... If your really worried then check but I would just say enjoy not getting it!
  • Options
    I couldn't find anything after searching so hopefully this hasn't been asked yet...

I am 8 weeks pp and from what I can feel (I really don't want to look) I still have all of my stitches. I had a small first degree tear and a second degree tear. At my 6 week appointment, my OB said the stitches were almost gone from the first degree tear and she said she cleared out what little was left. The thing is, I can still feel two sets of stitches and they are completely intact. I know everyone is different, but shouldn't they be gone by now? Am I feeling scar tissue or something like that? I swore I read they would dissolve within a couple of weeks. If I do look down there, what should I be looking for to identify there is a problem?
  • Options
    Is it possible for a 2-month-old to be sprouting molars? O.o. A-game has spent the past few hours alternating between sucking on my boobs like a flailing little black hole and jamming her fingers as deep into her mouth as she can to chew on them. So far I don't see any blatant white buds that would indicate teeth erupting, but I'm not sure why else she'd repeatedly gag herself by trying to nom on her hands.

• Options
    Ah, that makes sense. I just didn't think she'd keep basically trying to swallow her hands, lol. My silly little piggy. XD

• Options
    Owen prefers his whole fist over a pacifier. I've known some babies to start teething as early as 3 months though, so there's that. The 2 bottom middle ones are *usually* the first to appear if you want to keep an eye out.
  • Options
    Yeah, it generally starts from the center of their mouths and works outward. That's another reason I was puzzled in the event it was teething. XD

• Options
    Anyone used vanicream for excezma? My doctor recommended it for our baby, and I'm curious what you all think of it had you used. :-)
  • Options
    My baby has REALLY bad eczema. The dr. recommended coconut oil and cortisone cream. It did nothing and seemed to irritate her skin more. I tried some cetaphil lotion and it cleared right up. I don't know if you are supposed to use lotion on babies but DD has the most sensitive skin ever and this is the only thing that seemed to work for her.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    LO has a rash that looks like baby acne or heat rash but less red. I noticed it on his chin last night and now it is on his cheeks. He has not been in the heat at all and we haven't changed soaps or any other products. It hasn't spread anywhere else. I googled a bunch but I keep seeing the typical baby acne and such. Is it possible for baby acne to come back after being gone for weeks?
    Mine has it too. She had it bad, then it went away and now new bumps have appeared on her chin and cheeks. I think a bit of it is from the milk and drool and her rubbing her hands when she tries to chew on them.

• Options
    Anyone use vanicream? If so, did you use the lotion or the cream? My pedi recommended it along with a prescription for hydrocortisone for his eczema.
  • Options
    Do you take the warning label and instruction stickers off of your car seats? Thinking it would look cuter without but they are obviously there for a reason...:/
  • Options
    Brigie029Brigie029 member
    edited June 2014
    Apparently, I'm saving them for today. I have two really close friends, like I can tell anything to, and both have been super supportive and even threw me a baby shower. They are spelling my sons name incorrectly ( Skylar instead of Skyler ) because that's how I originally had it but changed it months in. Don't have the heart to tell them, and they could obviously care less if I corrected them, as it's so silly. I just noticed this after he was born and have wrote back his correct spelling many times. No biggie but how do I tell them when they spell it wrong again or just let it go as I have been? I honestly don't care, why this is filed under the stupid questions. ;)
  • Options
    Leeroy80 said:

I know screen time is frowned upon until age 2. I keep the tv on during the day for background noise and lately have noticed DS (7 weeks) looks like she's staring right at it. At what age do people start paying attention and controlling their LO's screen time?

I also like to keep the tv on. My DS (10 weeks today) loves the tv. I turn it off after the today show in the morning because if not he would just stare at it for hours. If he is watching it and someone steps in front of him he will move he head around to try and see it. It is ridiculous. So we already are controlling the screen time. I have tried playing music for my background noise now. Seems to work! Good thing we are getting rid of cable!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"