April 2014 Moms
Options

Stupid Questions Thread

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

• Options
    Repost from RTT:

DD loves her play mat. It was a hand me down from my SIL so it's just the mat with random toys I added. At target last night I noticed there were fancier options. Are play mats the best thing for my 7 week old or are there other options? I have a bunch of gift cards to use up and thought maybe this would be a good option.
  • Options
    Play mats are good for baby's development. If you are worried about spending money on something your LO might outgrow quickly you could get something like this which can grow with your LO.
    https://m.toysrus.com/skava/static/product.html?type=TRU_product_us&url=/product/index.jsp?productId=18166196&fromRegistryNumber=51342476&product_skn=158849&domain=http://www.toysrus.com
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks! We have a play mat already but I'm thinking it isn't stimulating her enough since it's just random toys clipped on. But this one is nice! I'm going to have to check it out!
  • Options
    @Jessieann1020‌ - if it makes you feel better, my LO has gone almost full days without any nap, LMBO. She's a very alert baby and has been this way since 2-3 weeks. I spoke to my pedi and she wasn't concerned. "It just offers me more time for interaction..." In reality, it means she's attached to my boob more often.
  • Options

With the mini pill, do I have to be religious about taking it at the exact same time each day? I take it within an hour of the same time each day, but I'm so busy with putting LO to bed that I take it at a somewhat different time each night.

The NP who prescribed mine told me that if, for some reason, I can't take it at the exact same time each day, to make sure I take it within two hours of the time I took the previous day's dose. She said that might lead to some spotting/bleeding, though. =/

A14 Siggy Challenge (November): Favorite Fall Smell
  • Options
    Another question about the mini pill: it says to start it on the first day of your period. Well obviously my period has not made an appearance yet, so do I just start it on any random day?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I've noticed if I pick her up before the full blown crying I can get the diaper change without too much of a fight. But I'm not always that lucky. Especially at night.
  • Options
    What's the white stuff in my daughter's crotch, and how long is it supposed to stay there? We were told at her birth not to wash or wipe it out, and let it come out on its own, but how long is that supposed to take? It's been 7 weeks, should I be wiping that out? :-??

A14 Siggy Challenge (November): Favorite Fall Smell
  • Options
    @SoulTermination‌ the nurse told me it's discharge and not to wipe it off either. My LO is 8 weeks and still has some but During bath time I usually wash her up and it comes back. I don't intentionally wipe it off during diaper changes though.
     BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I burped LO tonight after BFing her and a little bit of milk came out of her nose! She will be 5 weeks on Saturday. A quick Google search says this is normal? It was a little alarming. It wasn't like spit up, but almost like breast milk she hasn't swallowed yet? Is this something to call the doctor about?
  • Options
    Are you suppose to wash off your boobs before pumping?
    I bf my LO but occasionally pump so I can start getting her used to a bottle. I haven't been washing off my boobs but am now wondering if I should have been because of potential bacteria left behind from LO during bfing. I don't wash them between a feedings. Should I?
  • Options
    Sometimes even after a workout my daughter is soo ready for eating she gets my sweaty boobs! She doesnt seem to mind, but dh is a little grossed out. Eh, so no, I dont wash them.
  • Options
    Help! Poor dd has a awful diaper rash. It's day three of it, and just doesn't seem to get better. Aveeno and Burt's creams didn't do a thing, so now we're giving desitin a try. Any tips to speed up the healing process?
    Desitin to heal and then baby aquaphor on top to act as a wetness barrier.
  • Options
    Do any of you wash your bottles in the dishwasher? If so, do you put them with other dirty dishes? I've been washing them by hand with warm soapy water everyday and it's getting a bit tedious..I need more bottles lol
     BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I have the same type of section @mamrotu73‌. Good to know I can stop hand washing!
     BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    hlm184hlm184 member
    How do you put LO down for naps?  What's your routine?  Should I be mimicking our nighttime routine?

At night we nurse, diaper, PJs, Swaddle, top off, and then to bed in a dark quiet P&P, and it's successful.  Should I try to copy this for naps?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Same swaddle burping as P&B715 here
  • Options
    TallaBTallaB member
    I'm being brave and taking a solo flight with baby to visit my parents when she's about 4 mos. I'm planning ahead! I think my biggest questions are - where would you have baby sleep? It doesn't seem ideal to put the pack and play on the plane, and i'm not one for having baby in bed with me...has anyone used those collapsible travel beds like the phil and ted cot? And what do I do about the car seat? Do I drag the base along? Or just hope that the vehicles we will be in have the proper belts to hook it up without the base??  Traveling just got more complicated :(

• Options
    TallaB said:

I'm being brave and taking a solo flight with baby to visit my parents when she's about 4 mos. I'm planning ahead! I think my biggest questions are - where would you have baby sleep? It doesn't seem ideal to put the pack and play on the plane, and i'm not one for having baby in bed with me...has anyone used those collapsible travel beds like the phil and ted cot? And what do I do about the car seat? Do I drag the base along? Or just hope that the vehicles we will be in have the proper belts to hook it up without the base??  Traveling just got more complicated :(

I traveled solo with DS at 4 months. I just strapped the car seat in with a seatbelt. I also asked friends at my destination if they had pnps we could borrow. I don't know if that's an option for you. DS slept most of our flights and everyone was really helpful if that makes you feel better!
  • Options
    maelicmaelic member
    Eggy/sulphur-y smelling poops today? Concerning or just a variation of normal?

She's a little more gassy than normal. EBF, but pumped milk so I'm not really sure I can trace it to something I ate.
  • Options
    Also posted this in RTT:

Am I insane for not wanting my SO to pump our baby up with gripe water or gas drops "proactively" if the kiddo isn't showing any immediate signs of serious gas problems? I mean he farts & burps somewhat regularly, but babies just do that, right? When does it reach gas drop time? I want him to be comfortable but I also want to give him as few additional supplements, etc as possible. What is the right approach to take?
  • Options
    @rockstarlaw - I don't like giving things unnecessarily either. DD occasionally gets gas drops or gripe water but only if other means of comforting her don't work and she seems uncomfortable. I don't think I'd give them proactively unless directed to by a doctor.
  • Options
    How does my obgyn confirm if the bleeding I'm having at 7 weeks pp is my period? I feel like I should know if it's my period or not but a "normal" period is usually pretty painful with cramps and heavy. This, well I'm wearing a panty liner and just a little uncomfortable. Oh and my midwife didn't have time for me at 6 weeks pp so I haven't been cleared for sex or tampons or anything until I'm 8 weeks pp.. :(
  • Options
    A few times a week I find some large (baseball sized) wet spots beside LO's mouth. It's happened in the bassinet, but also when she's elevated in the RNP. Is this spit up? I what to ask the doctor about it but not sure how to describe it. It's not milky or chunky (which is how I would classify spit up). Could it just be drool (she doesn't drool during the day)?

• Options
    At my first visit to the pediatrician (about a week old) he said that babies couldn't be spoiled at this age and to hold her as much as we want. I'm curious, when does this change? This morning LO would cry whenever I sat her down even for a second and immediately stop when I picked her up. She's only 7 weeks now so I still think it's early but just wondering when is the age that I should detach a little bit...
  • Options
    hlm184hlm184 member
    Where do you find infant tylenol?  I looked at Walmart the other day and didn't see it, maybe I"m looking for the wrong thing??
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    hlm184 said:

Where do you find infant tylenol?  I looked at Walmart the other day and didn't see it, maybe I"m looking for the wrong thing??

They should have it either in the baby section, the medicine section, or both. I know target has it in both sections.

• Options
    hordolhordol member
    ahoefling said:
    At my first visit to the pediatrician (about a week old) he said that babies couldn't be spoiled at this age and to hold her as much as we want. I'm curious, when does this change? This morning LO would cry whenever I sat her down even for a second and immediately stop when I picked her up. She's only 7 weeks now so I still think it's early but just wondering when is the age that I should detach a little bit...
    At this age, being held is a need. So your baby probably stops crying when you pick her up because you are meeting her need. If it doesn't bother you to hold her, I wouldn't worry about when to stop. If you do feel like you need some space, I'm no expert but I'm going to guess that since they don't recommend you let a baby CIO until at least 6 months that this would probably be the same.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• Options
    Ok good - I love holding and cuddling with her so I'm glad I have awhile before they can be "spoiled" or taught habits!
  • Options
    My baby is now almost 5 weeks and I've been just filing his nails, but at what age can I use a baby nail clipper? His nails grow so fast and he is scratching himself :(. Thanks!
  • Options
    maelic said:

She's a little more gassy than normal. EBF, but pumped milk so I'm not really sure I can trace it to something I ate.

Still happening??? I am dealing with this as well. He's also super gassy! And bumpy rash on face that comes and goes. I am more concerned he may have a dairy sensitivity or something.

May the Fourth Be With You: Our 5-4-14 Baby: Andrew Joseph
  • Options
    aviola329 said:
    My baby is now almost 5 weeks and I've been just filing his nails, but at what age can I use a baby nail clipper? His nails grow so fast and he is scratching himself :(. Thanks!
    We've been using clippers the whole time. It's a matter of your comfort level. I do it when he's asleep, and use my finger to push the skin of tip of his finger away from the nail so I don't cut him.
    This.
  • Options
    @tallab I second the idea of having a PNP at your parent's house, especially if you'll make future visits when LO is still too young to sleep in their own bed. Also, most bigger cities have baby equipment rental places depending on where you are going. I've seen PNPs range from $5-$8/night. I wouldn't bring the car seat base along, but would recommend that you practice installing with a belt at home first. Keep the car seat/stroller with you through the airport and gate check.
  • Options
    maelicmaelic member

maelic said:

Still happening??? I am dealing with this as well. He's also super gassy! And bumpy rash on face that comes and goes. I am more concerned he may have a dairy sensitivity or something.
    Only that one day, but man were those poops awful. She had what I thought was a rash but it's gone away, just baby acne.
  • Options
    When you give gripe water, do you just use the syringe? A 5mL dose is a lot of liquid!

CafeMom Tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"