July 2014 Moms
Options

Breast feeding in front of family

I breast fed DS, and  I had the hardest time in front of family. It worked well as an excuse to get away from some of the family members I can't stand, on one particular side. However, the other side of the family I felt like I was constantly leaving to feed him. These are people I'd bend over backwards for. BFing isn't big in my family, not like it is for me, other babies were formula fed. I was directed to a rocking chair in another room- I assume they were considering my privacy, but I felt more ostracised then considered. I wanted to just hang out comfortably and not resent feeding my child because it was taking away from hanging around them (DS fed hourly- a bit high maintenance).

Anyway, has anyone over come that? It's akin to the feeling of knowing that your parents/aunts/cousins have sex- I feel like it's gross to them and don't want to have it in their faces- esp around my male cousins. But really, I'd like to put those feelings aside, if for nothing more then that I SHOULDN'T feel embarrassed to feed my child, and they shouldn't have that control over me...and they SHOULD be OK with all of this. I feel bad for making them uncomfortable, though- so maybe this is my issue not theirs. I wouldn't have trouble doing it in front of friends of mine, I don't have issues with anyone doing it in front of me. I can do it in front of my mom, and mostly my dad (I don't think I did last time, but I don't remember), but the rest of the family, IDK.

I'm think I'm planning on just doing it an not asking, perhaps they won't even notice. I will be wearing the new LO, so I can likely do it within the sling/wrap. IDK
imageimage"">

Re: Breast feeding in front of family

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just do it. I use a blanket or a nursing cover. No one ever seemed to mind. 

image image   image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

BFP#1 9/25/10 DD born 6/9/11
    BFP#2 8/1/13 MC 8/31/13
    BFP#3 11/2/13 EDD 7/15/14 Stick baby Stick
    1st u/s 11/26/13 at 7w, measuring right on track and a heartbeat of 139bpm
    NT Scan 1/6/14 at 12w 6d, normal healthy squirmy baby measuring right on track heartbeat of 147bpm
    1st 2nd tri Scan 2/3/14 at 16w 6d, very healthy baby BOY!
    A/S 3/4/14 still a very healthy BOY, measuring right on track!
    DS born 7/9/14

All always welcome

• Options
    I had the first grandbaby/young child on either side of the family so babies being fed in any sort of way was not the norm.  When I first brought DD home, I always went upstairs to my bedroom because I just couldn't imagine nursing in front of my FIL, and even my MIL for that matter.  DD and I were still figuring it out.

By their second visit, I would just hang out like I normally would and nurse her with a cover whenever and wherever needed.  We had pretty much gotten into a good groove so the process was smoother. 

Is it your family that is uncomfortable or are you assuming that they are uncomfortable, OP? 
    Formerly knittylady
    DH:34 - Me: 33
    Emmaline Winifred - 1.25.2013
    Wesley Daniel - 7.24.2014
    #3 EDD - 6.24.2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It made me a little nervous at first, but I got over it with time.  This time I will be nursing where I please and if someone else is uncomfortable they are free to look away or go to another room. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

BFP#2 7/3/13.  U/S at 6w4d showed 1 heartbeat at 127 bmp and 2 empty sacs.  MMC discovered at 10w4d.  D&C 8/27/13.  Pathology showed normal boy.  Missing our babies every day.
    BFP#3 10/29/13!  Beta#1 at 4w5d - 2141, beta#2 at 5w1d - 7651!  U/S 11/21/13 showed baby measuring 2 days ahead with a heartbeat of 127 bmp!
  • Options
    jnnfrrose6jnnfrrose6 member
    edited June 2014
    I think this depends.  Were you in your own home and asked to go to another room, or were you in their home?  If I'm at home, I'm nursing wherever I'm comfortable.  For some family, it's right there wherever we are, for others, I step away.  If I'm in someone else's home, though, I try to get an idea of their comfort level before nursing, but if I'm not sure, I ask.  Family or not, it's their home and I try and respect their wishes on that.

ETA there =/= their.
  • Options
    At first, I would leave the room.  I think mostly because I was uncomfortable about it, and I was a little worried about what other's felt.  Especially my dad.  But after awhile I got over it as I became more comfortable with BF.  Then I would just do it wherever, making sure to bunch a blanket up around DD, not over her completely, just so it looked like I was just holding her all bundled up.  And as it turned out, everyone was fine with it.  Way more comfortable for me, and I wasn't missing out on anything.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    imageimage
  • Options

I was nervous as a FTM. Even my DH doesn't like it. He was not breastfed and has never been around it before DD was born. It's not that he thinks it's gross, it's just not something he's used to. He's better now, but I think he would still prefer me to cover myself. He's a pretty modest person in general though.

I felt weird BFing in front of family last time but they were so cool about it and didn't think it was weird at all. I think it was my own insecurity at the time. This time I honestly will not care and if anyone says something, they can leave the room. I'm not going to hide myself every time LO gets hungry.

I think you should do what makes you comfortable, but also know that some people are not used to it and may take while for them to be comfortable with it.

• Options
    In my house, my parents house or in my hospital room I nurse in the open.  If they dont like it, they are welcome to leave.  In someone elses house I will attempt to cover up unless I know it wont bother them.  I wont leave the room though.  If they have an issue with my breastfeeding, I will avoid their house until no longer necessary.

13 yr old boy with ASD, ADHD and PICA, 11 yr old boy, 3 yr old Girl, & baby Girl.

imageimage

• Options

My and DH's families are very supportive of breastfeeding, but I always used a cover when nursing DS even in my own house. It was more for my comfort than theirs. When he got older and didn't like the cover, I usually went into another room, again for my comfort. By that time, he wasn't nursing as frequently or as long so it wasn't a big deal.

July 14 May Siggy Challenge: Cute Animals
    imagelambs photo: lambs lftsidemovies5.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    mana84 said:
    I plan to feed lo under a nursing cover when in public or in front of family. If anyone is uncomfortable, then I welcome us having an adult conversation about it. Plain and simple.
    Mostly this. 
    I'll be asking if anyone minds me feeding and if they do, I'll use a cover - same as with my first - because I know the women of the family will be fine and the men will be polite about not being comfortable with me getting my boobs out which is fair enough so a cover should suffice. 
    I'm not about to leave the room because someone feels uncomfortable knowing it's going on under a cover, that's ridiculous.
  • Options
    mana84 said:
    I plan to feed lo under a nursing cover when in public or in front of family. If anyone is uncomfortable, then I welcome us having an adult conversation about it. Plain and simple.
    Mostly this. 
    I'll be asking if anyone minds me feeding and if they do, I'll use a cover - same as with my first - because I know the women of the family will be fine and the men will be polite about not being comfortable with me getting my boobs out which is fair enough so a cover should suffice. 
    I'm not about to leave the room because someone feels uncomfortable knowing it's going on under a cover, that's ridiculous.
    In my mind, it's more awkward/uncomfortable to ask "the men" if they mind me feeding my baby. Because if they actually have the balls to say yes to my face, they're an a-hole. I'd rather save them the embarrassment, be discreet and do my thing. Then if they really are uncomfortable, they can remove themselves from the situation.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    JayBzoJayBzo member
    edited June 2014
    @iris427 my point is - we can easily do it while tossing a nice little blanket over ourselves and move on without making it a big stink. If the men in your family are good with it and you are too - go for it girly! Get those puppies out.

And my point about waggling - while being lighthearted, which may have been missed by you, was just to simply say I don't need to sit down, rip all my clothes off, have my boobs out, get the baby ready and begin when I can easily BF (without leaving the room or being exiled) and still be semi modest. 

This is obviously my opinion, it is your business if you want your tits out for all to see. I see no issue with doing so (BF) while remaining somewhat modest, and I do not think this is me being "shamed". I am comfortable to BF and will do what is best for me/my baby but my dear old gramps doesn't need to see my nipples. Or my neighbors, dad, etc. 

Edited to add (BF) for clarification.

• Options
    Ekg688Ekg688 member
    Certain family I'll feed in front of (w/ blanket or cover). Others I'll use as an excuse to get away from or will go elsewhere due to my comfort level (aka super extended family). My mom is planning a sip-n-see about 6 weeks after my due date. That should be interesting bc I know it will mostly be people who I wouldn't BF in front of.
  • Options
    I was very self conscious about nursing in front of people, even my own mom, when DS1 was born. I always left the room...at times I felt isolated and at other times, it was nice to get away for a bit. When I had DS2, I was a lot more relaxed, though I still used a blanket and tried to avoid nursing in front of my dad, FIL, brother and BIL just out of courtesy. I'm sure
    I'll be even less worried about who sees me feed this time.
  • Options
    JayBzoJayBzo member
    edited June 2014
    Clearly exaggerating ladies. But I do think there is plenty of nipple time (of all the ladies I have seen BF - which obviously is not everyone - I have seen lotsa nips in my day) and I for one, would prefer to have things covered up at least until baby is latched. 

If you are a super pro and your nipple never shows awesome. Or even if you love your nipples out and DGAF awesome also. It is not for me, I don't want these people seeing my nips (side boob/top boob doesn't bug me) and I know how my family would be - and while no one would say anything I know not being covered up would make them squirm.

I have a super amazing family that would never ask me to leave or let me know they were uncomfortable, but I know our dynamic well enough to know it would make them uncomfortable. I am just saying I feel like we should be understanding of that. As stated previously, multiple times, I never agreed with leaving. And I will not be leaving if I need to BF when they are around. 

Also: when I referenced having them out for all to see, that was in response to the comments that boobs will be out when in PP own home. I think those two comments go fairly hand in hand and even though they BOTH may be exaggerated - I am still stating do what you want. I think the comments of "you are doing it wrong" or "why on earth.. this/that" are a little silly. I obviously don't think you are stripping down to the buff to BF (unless that is your thing ha!). 

• Options
    With DD I nursed in front of my mom and MIL no big if my stepdad was there I would slightly angle my body away from him or turn my chair so I could still participate in conversation. I was just getting used to breast feeding so it was hard to cover with my shirt as well as getting her to latch right. Once we got the hang of breast feeding I didn't worry cause I could use my shirt to cover.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    mana84 said:
    THIS!
    <<a href="http://lilypie.com/">Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers>
  • Options
    JayBzoJayBzo member
    @iris427 yeah girl! I don't care what you do - I'll be covering up being cognizant of those around me. And trust me I don't think you have to worry about FIL/brother/whom ever staring at you and seeing your nipple, but of the men I know, the fact that a nip could slip out would be the uncomfortable part. A simple little light A&A blanket will make them feel more comfy so that is what I'll be doing. It's definitely for both of our sakes - I am not even close to okay with friends/family that aren't close females seeing my breasts.

• Options
    JayBzo said:

@iris427 yeah girl! I don't care what you do - I'll be covering up being cognizant of those around me. And trust me I don't think you have to worry about FIL/brother/whom ever staring at you and seeing your nipple, but of the men I know, the fact that a nip could slip out would be the uncomfortable part. A simple little light A&A blanket will make them feel more comfy so that is what I'll be doing. It's definitely for both of our sakes - I am not even close to okay with friends/family that aren't close females seeing my breasts.

I'm not worried but thanks for the reassurance.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My goal in life is to become proficient at boobfeeding him while he's in a carrier.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    JayBzoJayBzo member
    @iris427 anything for you ;)

• Options
    honeybee434honeybee434 member
    edited June 2014

I don't really care one way or another about whether anyone else chooses to use a cover or not. I honestly don't pay attention enough to really notice if I'm out in public or around friends & family. I don't think that I will feel comfortable feeding in front of most of my family or DH's family without a cover or going to another room, but that's just me personally. I'm a FTM so that may change, but knowing myself I will be surprised if it does. I also don't plan on continuing to BF once I go back to work from maternity leave IF BF'ing ends up working out for me. If I was planning on committing more time to it, I have a feeling I would feel differently after I got used to it.

• Options
    With my daughter, my dad would leave the room until I was set up and comfortable, and then he'd come back. I did use a cover and it worked well for everyone. 

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • Options
    CsltdkCsltdk member
    I'll BF in front of everyone with the exception of my MIL. Mostly because she will say I'm doing it wrong and have a fear she'll try to bf my baby herself.
  • Options
    If someone isn't comfortable with their breasts out in front of their closest friends, I'm interested in how modest they will be with their vagina stretched to the max in front of a doctor, nurses, their partner and possibly medical students.

I understand wearing a cover if YOU feel more comfortable. But honestly you and LO are the only ones to be concerned with. Feeding and eating is very natural. And if people are seeing your whole nipple, then you're doing it wrong anyways.

My mom, MIL and all my friends with babies except one breastfeed/fed. So it's pretty normal for me to be comfortable around it. And I've heard it's not always easy so I'll take any help I can get from someone being supportive.
    imageimage

BFP #1 11.10.13 EDD 07.22.14 Stick baby cake!
    image https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/ee/d355aa73ed49767417acbbe29ed0e6.png  BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    If someone isn't comfortable with their breasts out in front of their closest friends, I'm interested in how modest they will be with their vagina stretched to the max in front of a doctor, nurses, their partner and possibly medical students.
    You think I should be more comfortable with my breasts out in front of my dad and brother than I am with my doctor?

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • Options

You think I should be more comfortable with my breasts out in front of my dad and brother than I am with my doctor?

I'm more comfortable with my boobs out than my vagina in front of people I hardly know. I'm very close with my family so I could care less if my dad saw my boobs while feeding his grandchild.

To me, boobs aren't sexual at all during breastfeeding. ..They're a source of nutrients. I think the issue is it makes people uncomfortable because they view them as fun bags and not a baby's food supply. It totally will depend on each person. I find it as whatever. Someone we barely knew breastfed at my sister's party last weekend in front of 20 people. She didn't make a big deal of it so it wasn't a big deal. And she used no cover and I never saw anything. And I was definitely watching because it's something I hope to be doing soon.

I think the more casual and relaxed you are the more comfortable everyone else is. I've been very upfront this entire pregnancy it is what I'll be doing openly.
    imageimage

BFP #1 11.10.13 EDD 07.22.14 Stick baby cake!
    image https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/ee/d355aa73ed49767417acbbe29ed0e6.png  BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"