December 2013 Moms
Options

UO

Re: UO

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wish I hadn't come back to read this post. The public school system did fail me. I don't know if I was being called out, but I never said that I was better than any teachers. If Emma or Amelia don't do well, learning at home, they will be put in school. If I hadn't been pulled out of school, to be homeschooled, I would have never graduated with my class. I actually graduated before my class because once things were presented to me in a different way, I caught on much faster. I just don't want my girls to feel the way I did about school. I hated it. Mostly because no teacher went out of their way to help me. They saw my very obvious struggle and didn't reach out to me or my dad (who couldn't have cared less). I don't have to explain myself. Typically I don't care what people say about homeschooling. I find that people who have something against it, weren't homeschooled and have no experience with it. The only reason my feathers were ruffled was because of the comment "my kid will your kid's boss". Rude rude rude. Everyone gave my mil crap for homeschooling all five of her children, and (for the most part) they turned out really well. They're very hard working and motivated people. I have nothing against public school, but if I can help my children enjoy learning, then I will homeschool. If they aren't doing well, we'll consider schooling outside the home. I had to stop and start this response many-a-times, so if it's all over the place, excuse me.
    I agree with what you are saying 100%.

I feel like homeschooling will be the best choice for my children, most likely. Especially if we decide to stay in AZ. The schools out here are a joke and have failed many people I know, and almost failed me. They work for some individuals, but they don't work for all. I feel like each parent should be able to choose the best education for their child and that's the point I was trying to make by saying I'd like to home school based off the example of public education I've seen in AZ.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @greenbeanqueen I know of a couple of teachers I had in high school that are truly excellent public educators. It's sad that this is not the "norm" where I come from. If it were the case I'd have no problem with the school system here.
  • Options
    College applications request parent education & occupation (or at least they did when I applied!).  Parents considering home schooling sans college degree may want to consider this since your child will be putting your education on their application and the fact that they are home schooled.  It could easily prejudice an admissions committee. 
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Options
    VCGolfNYC said:
    College applications request parent education & occupation (or at least they did when I applied!).  Parents considering home schooling sans college degree may want to consider this since your child will be putting your education on their application and the fact that they are home schooled.  It could easily prejudice an admissions committee. 
    I feel like that was a stab at me ... since I'm the only one who said I don't have a degree.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    rfred20 said:
    VCGolfNYC said:
    I feel like that was a stab at me ... since I'm the only one who said I don't have a degree.
    Considering I rejoined the board maybe a week or so ago after a 8 month hiatus I really had no way of knowing that. And, I honestly didn't read the entire thread line-by-line to know that either. Sorry about that. 

ETA: To clarify, there are a lot of people whose background I do not know.

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.

• Options
    rfred20 said:
    VCGolfNYC said:
    That's not how VC rolls.  And there are plenty of people on this board who don't have degrees.
    I think I'm the only one who mentioned that and home schooling their kids though ... Please correct me if I'm wrong here.
  • Options
    @heaven802002 I don't really feel like it's paranoia when you are the only one to mention something and another individual expresses that they do not think it's a good idea based on XYZ.
  • Options
    rfred20 said:
    rfred20 said:
    VCGolfNYC said:
    That's not how VC rolls.  And there are plenty of people on this board who don't have degrees.
    I think I'm the only one who mentioned that and home schooling their kids though ... Please correct me if I'm wrong here.
    I mean this in the nicest possible way: Please, just stop.  You're getting your hackles up for no reason -- no one is calling anybody anything for not having a degree, she was just adding another consideration to what was already mentioned.  
    I honestly just thought I was coming at it from a different angle.  Plus, I'm a scientist by primary education and my husband is an economist; if our child showed an interest in the arts I would be absolutely dumbfounded and would have no idea of how to approach that, and if we homeschooled and said child applied to art schools I would understand if an admissions committee raised their eyebrows a bit. So, I would actually use my comment against myself also. ;) 

imageimage

• Options
    VCGolfNYC said:
    rfred20 said:
    rfred20 said:
    VCGolfNYC said:
    I mean this in the nicest possible way: Please, just stop.  You're getting your hackles up for no reason -- no one is calling anybody anything for not having a degree, she was just adding another consideration to what was already mentioned.  
    I honestly just thought I was coming at it from a different angle.  Plus, I'm a scientist by primary education and my husband is an economist; if our child showed an interest in the arts I would be absolutely dumbfounded and would have no idea of how to approach that, and if we homeschooled and said child applied to art schools I would understand if an admissions committee raised their eyebrows a bit. So, I would actually use my comment against myself also. ;) 
    Well then I take back my offense taken. ;)
  • Options
    esf60esf60 member

@rfred20 said:
    esf60 said:
    Holy shit @chillp‌r... You have a job in PUBLIC RELATIONS? How's that possible?
    I feel like that was kinda unnecessary. She can have opinions and still be good at her job. If she wasn't able to perform it properly than she wouldn't have said job.
    Just seeing this. Her communication skills are... well, I'm just not going to continue because I don't care enough.

• Options

I believe that parents that don't have degrees and are not licensed to teach should not home school their kids. I would never attempt to home school my child. I mean I don't even know when to use a semicolon FFS!

Andplusalso I think kids need to learn social skills by being around other kids

The problem with this is, that I was in public school with many licensed educators, but was failed. I am not saying is was their fault, completely. There are a few reasons why I was failed, a lot of it had to do with my dad being craptastic, and the stresses I was facing at home. I was pulled out of school and homeschool by my aunt. She didn't attend college, but did a fabulous job, helping me understand what was in front of me. She didn't sit in front of me and teach me, she had the best curriculum and programs to help me out.
    If my girls are anything like me, they're going to need things explained a little differently. I always felt like an idiot while I was in school. Once I was pulled out, and actually caught into the material, I felt so much better about myself.

imageimage

BFP #1 July 4, 2011 Baby girl born Feb 22, 2012!!
    BFP #2 December 17, 2012 MMC January 24, 2013
    BFP #3 April 7, 2013 Baby girl born December 11, 2013!!
    Amelia has Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. She has had 3 open heart surgeries, 1 g-tube surgery, and one tracheostomy. She is the strongest, most precious little fighter. 
    You can follow her at. Www.ameliafaithsheart.blogspot.com
  • Options

I just hope all the anti-vax parents decide to home school their kids.

This is where my original comment stemmed from. I know people who are anti-vaxxers and are considering homeschooling (basically they are Dr. Sears ideal family magnified). I am fine with them keeping their kids home but I really feel the children's education would be lacking. Also they are a bit hypocritical as the husband works for the school district as a slp.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    esf60esf60 member
    I just hope all the anti-vax parents decide to home school their kids.
    Where I live, it would be their only option.

• Options
    KateMW said:
    rfred20 said:
    VCGolfNYC said:
    OMG why do you always think EVERYTHING is about you? You're like a fucking living Carly Simon song.
    Kate, we've already cleared this up. You should read below. Or above now, in this case.
  • Options
    That doesn't change my opinion in anyway. You always think everything is about you...
  • Options
    KateMW said:
    That doesn't change my opinion in anyway. You always think everything is about you...
    I don't. When people post things that sounds like they could be referencing me, I think they might be, naturally. If it's something that does not seem applicable to me at all, then I do not think that they are thinking about me.
  • Options

I believe that parents that don't have degrees and are not licensed to teach should not home school their kids. I would never attempt to home school my child. I mean I don't even know when to use a semicolon FFS!

Andplusalso I think kids need to learn social skills by being around other kids

I'll bite. The socialization aspect should be discussed in two parts.

I don't want my child learning social skills from other kids his age, generally speaking. I've seen how they act. I've heard how they speak. I'd much rather he learn social skills from older, more mature individuals who are a regular part of his life as well as youth who come from like-minded families.

My child has many opportunities to be around other kids. We belong to home school groups who plan educational as well as social events. He is around other kids at church twice per week. We live in a neighborhood overrun with kids - and our house is one of the favorite hang outs. My son participates in sports year-round, from football to soccer to baseball to tae kwon do. His best friend even *gasp* attends public school!

Now, I do realize that in his social settings, he is exposed to the sort of behaviors and language we don't approve of sometimes. But those situations are the exception and not the rule in his life - and we use those as opportunities to teach. He can tell you the meaning of most swear words because we discuss things he hears. He knows how to stick up for others despite bringing the target onto himself.

While I agree that home schooling can create an environment where children get too little socialization, I assure you that this is not always the case. I can also say that it is entirely possible for home school kids to spend vast quantities of time with other kids. Home schooling doesn't mean locking our kids in the house and only taking them out for church.

Jill (36) Wife to Joe (36) Mom to: Alyssa (forever 10) Jacob (10) Baby Due 12/31/13 Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    azmama20azmama20 member
    edited April 2014
  • Options
    I hate when people use the word Spouse. I think people that still have a house phone are weird.

My grandma still has a house phone... But she is a but senile. Lol. And we just got her one of those cell phones made for small children where you can program like 3 numbers. She doesn't like it. She finds it confusing. :-w

=))
  • Options
    rfred20 said:

VCGolfNYC said:

You seem to think everything is a stab at you.
    calm down.
  • Options
    KateMW said:

rfred20 said:

VCGolfNYC said:

OMG why do you always think EVERYTHING is about you? You're like a fucking living Carly Simon song.

I love the shit outta you.
  • Options
    VCGolfNYC said:
    You seem to think everything is a stab at you. calm down.
    Once again, we have already clarified this. But thanks for bringing it up again.
  • Options
    rfred20 said:

rfred20 said:

VCGolfNYC said:

You seem to think everything is a stab at you.
    calm down.

Once again, we have already clarified this. But thanks for bringing it up again.

No problem @rfred20‌
    I'm always happy to help.
  • Options
    rfred20 said:
    VCGolfNYC said:

Oh good lord, you need to loosen the fuck up. And yes, that was about you.
  • Options
    azmama20azmama20 member
    edited April 2014
    KateMW said:
    rfred20 said:
    VCGolfNYC said:

Oh good lord, you need to loosen the fuck up. And yes, that was about you.
    I don't see why I need to loosen up, seeing as people keep making passive aggressive comments to me. I wasn't even trying to start anything. I was asking for clarification.

I feel like those who continue to bring up me objecting to VC's original comment are failing to read (or failing to comprehend what they read) in regards to that I no longer take offense to what she said not that she clarified what she meant.

This is continuing to stir the pot. I'm merely trying to defend myself here.
  • Options
    Cashingn2 said:
    @rfred20‌, I don't see that anyone is being passive at all, not even aggressive. You're taking things personally. Half the comments are jokes. You seriously need to stop worrying about comments on the interwebz.
    Some of them don't seem like jokes to me. They seem like stabs or personal attacks.
  • Options
    VC's comment wasn't. But some of the others clearly were.
  • Options
    I guess I just don't get why some people can have "all the feels" with no questions asked. And some people get either, attacked, argued with, or made fun of for expressing themselves.

Like Cash, with the fast food thing, I get you are sensitive about it, and rightly so. But Herc's comment was not directed at you, specifically. So by the logic you are telling me to use you shouldn't have been offended by her words.
  • Options
    rfred20 said:

VC's comment wasn't. But some of the others clearly were.

I haven't seen one, not one, passive aggressive comment on this thread that was "clearly" directed at you.
    Again, calm down.
  • Options
    You come off as paranoid a bout everything and it's really sad. Why do you think everybody is talking about you? Honestly, for me personally if I was talking about you, you would know.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"