December 2013 Moms
Options

UO

Re: UO

• Options
    Here's a UO: Marriage should be privatized. What business does the government have in marriages anyway?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Oh, on the skills thing... usually not necessary.  

Resume writing is taught.  It's called English where they teach actual writing.  The format can be googled.  

--- I have stayed out until this and only this. No English is NOT enough. No googling résumé format is NOT enough. You need to be taught these skills. English has changed dramatically since I was in school. It continues to change and resume protocols are not the same. But google wont tell you those things. This needs to be taught in college. It isn't as valuable to be taught in HS.
    How has English changed since you were in school?
    Grammar, punctiontion....He/She/It
    The language is constantly evolving. Most are. And if they are not, they typically become a dead language.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

amberpro said:

Resume writing is taught.  It's called English where they teach actual writing.  The format can be googled.  

---
    I have stayed out until this and only this. No English is NOT enough. No googling résumé format is NOT enough. You need to be taught these skills. English has changed dramatically since I was in school. It continues to change and resume protocols are not the same. But google wont tell you those things. This needs to be taught in college.

It isn't as valuable to be taught in HS.
    How has English changed since you were in school?

Please give me an example. I'm calling bullshit.

D13 June Siggy Challenge Awkward (Awesome) Bathing Suits
    photo d5230f4f-07cc-4b75-b11c-da060b42a66d.jpg
  • Options
    Here's a UO: Marriage should be privatized. What business does the government have in marriages anyway?
    I could really get behind the privatization of nearly everything. It would fix a lot of what's wrong with our country, I feel like.
  • Options
    Yezbick9 said:

--- I have stayed out until this and only this. No English is NOT enough. No googling résumé format is NOT enough. You need to be taught these skills. English has changed dramatically since I was in school. It continues to change and resume protocols are not the same. But google wont tell you those things. This needs to be taught in college. It isn't as valuable to be taught in HS.
    How as English changed dramatically?  I'm genuinely curious.  

I recently created a new resume.  I googled, downloaded, filled in the blanks.  My mother is the vice president of a large company.  She is continuously hiring people, and this is exactly what she suggested.  
    I'm teaching resume writing at the moment. I find it much more advantageous to teach content over format, because some of the pretty resumes are the ones that end up on blooper lists. I liken them to the stereotypical vapid beauty queen. Google a format. Think about the content. The end.
    I get that completely.  Content beyond fluff is taught in composition writing as well.  

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

• Options
    amberproamberpro member
    edited April 2014
    @amberpro‌ Quote tree died. How as English changed dramatically?  I'm genuinely curious.  

I recently created a new resume.  I googled, downloaded, filled in the blanks.  My mother is the vice president of a large company.  She is continuously hiring people, and this is exactly what she suggested.  

English hasn't changed. The way "English" is taught has been. They try to lump grammar, reading, and writing into one block and don't give enough time to address all three. So teachers choose to focus on the more pressing subject, reading for example, and the rest is left out because we have all these "standards" to meet. Clearly they aren't being met thus the problem with education.

I agree that the way it is taught has changed.  I also agree that there isn't enough time to give each its full attention without integrating the skills into other content areas.  But students are still taught to write a composition as well as proper grammar, format, sentence structure, etc.  It's tested so it's taught ;).  

I also didn't read that as what she was trying to say.  

• Options
    amberpro said:
    @amberpro‌ Quote tree died. How as English changed dramatically?  I'm genuinely curious.  

English hasn't changed. The way "English" is taught has been. They try to lump grammar, reading, and writing into one block and don't give enough time to address all three. So teachers choose to focus on the more pressing subject, reading for example, and the rest is left out because we have all these "standards" to meet. Clearly they aren't being met thus the problem with education.

I agree that the way it is taught has changed.  I also agree that there isn't enough time to give each it's full attention without integrating the skills into other content areas.  But students are still taught to write a composition as well as proper grammar, format, sentence structure, etc.  It's tested so it's taught ;).  

I also didn't read that as what she was trying to say.  

In my class we definitely write across the curriculum and I emphasize grammar and punctuation. I feel like our language is evolving but not the point of it being any harder to learn.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    rfred20 said:

I could really get behind the privatization of nearly everything. It would fix a lot of what's wrong with our country, I feel like.

Because corporations have your/our best interests at heart? Yes, the government is *supposed* to work that way. Do you really not think corporate interests might be a major reason it doesn't?

• Options
    CLY80 said:
    Because corporations have your/our best interests at heart? Yes, the government is *supposed* to work that way. Do you really not think corporate interests might be a major reason it doesn't?
    I'm not going to debate this. I'm simply saying the government cannot run itself efficiently, so why should we trust them to run anything else?
  • Options
    CLY80 said:

rfred20 said:

I'm not sure I really follow what you're trying to say, but who said anything about corporations. I'm certainly not advocating turning over marriage to a corporation.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
  • Options
    @jkrauss627 (and @‌rfred20 as per the love tit in lieu of discussion)

I'm saying that privatization isn't without serious pitfalls. I'm not sure who you think things will fall to if not the government.

• Options
    @northport6‌ Well, I for one welcome our corporate overlords! Do you think they could engineer me a smaller butt while they're back there?
  • Options
    @CLY80 OMG WAS THAT A KEN JENNINGS/WATSON/JEOPARDY REFERENCE? (if it wasn't, forgive my nerdgasm)

Genetically modified asses for everybody, I say.
    Lilypie - (V9Ze)
  • Options
    I will agree that there is an art to resume writing.  I had some of SSM's questions as I was writing mine.  I googled dozens of examples to answer said questions and tailored to meet my needs. 

I'm also a teacher and not applying to a large corporation with hundreds upon hundreds of applicants.  I also have found that it doesn't matter how you write your resume if you "know" someone that can get you an interview.  Interview skills... now that's an art.  

I still don't think those things should be taught in HS.  Take a continuing ed class at the community college, attend a seminar, whatever.  I just don't think the "art" is worth an entire semester.  

• Options
    amberpro said:
    I will agree that there is an art to resume writing.  I had some of SSM's questions as I was writing mine.  I googled dozens of examples to answer said questions and tailored to meet my needs. 

I'm also a teacher and not applying to a large corporation with hundreds upon hundreds of applicants.  I also have found that it doesn't matter how you write your resume if you "know" someone that can get you an interview.  Interview skills... now that's an art.  

I still don't think those things should be taught in HS.  Take a continuing ed class at the community college, attend a seminar, whatever.  I just don't think the "art" is worth an entire semester.  

I don't either....I think college is the perfect place for it. 

FWIW....Day in and day out, I format resumes...It's my job.  I see all sorts of things and I know it is because people don't know.  Google isn't going to solve all those problems. 

I should probably send you my resume, then, lol. I haven't applied for a job in 12 years.  

• Options
    @northport6 Indirectly. I'm sure I just picked it up after it made its way into snarky forums.

Btw, I am pro-nerdgasms.
  • Options
    Chillpr said:

Cashingn2 said:

@Chillpr‌, I'm pretty sure you did once say you wouldn't marry someone outside of your race because your parents wouldn't like it, even though you are actually mixed.

I in fact did.
    But would that make me a racist?

Also - if someone was against gay marriage would that make them homophobic?

If someone was atheist would that means they hate Christian people?

If someone was against abortions would that mean they look down on all those who have had them?

I don't think you can definitely say yes to all those....sure there are some people it's applicable to, but not all, so why are people intolerant to the other view?

@colerose If someone was for segregation, agree to disagree and move on....
    Did it meant they weren't still nice to their maid or cook?
    What the actual fuck are you saying?

I can take this so many different ways, but I'd really like you to explain before I jump to conclusions.
  • Options
    Seriously, now that not so super girl is banned, are some of you trying to win the title of most reviled poster?
    Are you directing this at me? or who are you directing this to?
  • Options
    ColeRose said:

RanFan28 said:

@Cashingn2‌ I'll never give names. NEVAR!!!

Another UO: I feel quite strongly about a lot of the social justice issues being discussed here, but also strongly believe those arguments/discussions/screaming matches/debates should be done in person within the context of a relationship. Fighting about things on here is counterproductive.

But then what would be the point of this thread? People say ridiculously offensive things and we just sit back without saying anything? Of course this would be better in person, but public online forum.

I get that side too. Really, I do. I guess it's just the talking in circles and an inability to properly articulate feelings. I'm not against other people doing it. I just choose not to participate, because...tolerance. ;)

Me: 31 | DH: 33

DS1: 12.23.13 | DS2: 05.06.16

BFP: 06.30.19 | EDD: 3.9.20

**TW**
    TTC3: 11.18
    BFP: 02.05.19
    CP: 03.07.19
    *really traumatic recovery*

• Options
    sasq09 said:

Ok, here we go... On the homeschooling issue: I think most people who disagree with it don't really understand it. I was homeschooled k-12 and did very well and had tons of friends (very diverse social backgrounds and ages) and was involved in many different activities. My mom had no degree, but curriculum can be great and I was in a co-op where I was able to be taught by many different people with different skills. Also in PA we have pretty strict. Testing and regulation for homeschoolers. I can't wait to homeschool, and I think its wonderful, BUT it is absolutely not for everyone and you should only do it if you really have a heart for it.

one more thing that i have to say and i know i will be seriously flamed for: I believe strongly that abortion is wrong, and have serious issue with the "personal choice" statement... No, its not your body. Its a human being growing inside your body. That's a life you are choosing to end... I won't apologize for believing that.

Ftr I was love titing the homeschool part.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Ok, here we go... On the homeschooling issue: I think most people who disagree with it don't really understand it. I was homeschooled k-12 and did very well and had tons of friends (very diverse social backgrounds and ages) and was involved in many different activities. My mom had no degree, but curriculum can be great and I was in a co-op where I was able to be taught by many different people with different skills. Also in PA we have pretty strict. Testing and regulation for homeschoolers. I can't wait to homeschool, and I think its wonderful, BUT it is absolutely not for everyone and you should only do it if you really have a heart for it. one more thing that i have to say and i know i will be seriously flamed for: I believe strongly that abortion is wrong, and have serious issue with the "personal choice" statement... No, its not your body. Its a human being growing inside your body. That's a life you are choosing to end... I won't apologize for believing that.
    Ftr I was love titing the homeschool part.
    I was too. 
  • Options
    Seriously, now that not so super girl is banned, are some of you trying to win the title of most reviled poster?
    Do you think you regularly post things that might make you widely disliked on this BMB?
    I don't know why you can't just answer if you were trying to talk about me passive aggressively. If you were talking about me and I ask you if you were, you can answer. It's not a call out then.

And FTR, I don't think I'm widely disliked.
  • Options
    Cashingn2 said:

Please give me an example. I'm calling bullshit.

When I was in school, all pronouns were he.  then it became he/she.  Now, everything is she.

Comma before "and" was a requirement - apples, oranges, and bananas.  Now, it is optional or nonexistent.

Spacing after a period was required to be 2 spaces.  Now it is 1 or up to the discretion of the author.

I was in school before you and the Oxford comma was always optional.
    I'm an editor and I don't think there's really a right or wrong for a lot of the examples you use. It just depends on which style guide you follow. The most important thing is to be consistent. Use the comma or don't use the comma--just follow the same rule every time. That's most important, in my mind.

• Options
    rfred20 said:

rfred20 said:

Do you think you regularly post things that might make you widely disliked on this BMB?

I don't know why you can't just answer if you were trying to talk about me passive aggressively. If you were talking about me and I ask you if you were, you can answer. It's not a call out then.

And FTR, I don't think I'm widely disliked.

If you don't think you're widely disliked why would you ask if I was talking about you? And FTR, it wasn't you I had in mind.
  • Options
    @rfred20, I think she was talking to the poster who brought up abortion
  • Options
    jordanm24 said:
    @rfred20, I think she was talking to the poster who brought up abortion
    I should hope so. But again ... not my place to judge.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"