April 2014 Moms
Options

Stupid Questions Thread

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

• Options
    This is just annoying.....Just like cost of delivery depends on where you are in NORTH AMERICA, so it depends in AFRICA. Pls don't compare a country to a continent! It really depends on what country you deliver, circumstances of your delivery, your insurance policy etc. how do you know you have the best policy over there in Africa? It would be best to compare apples to apples and ask specific questions to compare. I live in Nairobi, Kenya with superb care, my emergency CS, should I have one, would cost me around $25K.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Meant to quote the question about cost of delivery in US compared to Africa... a few posts back.
  • Options
    Did you bring your prenatal vitamins and dha to the hospital? I'm assuming you just continue those and its good for bf'ing, right? Or just wait to get home? I'm sure its no big deal either way. Just curious since I haven't seen it on any lists.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Ok. This is totally embarrassing, but here it goes....my nipples are peeling. Just the nipple nothing else. I'm using lanolin and was using ml nipple cream. There's no blood and very minimal pain. Has this happened to anyone else? It's finally gotten to the point where I'm going to work up enough nerve to ask my dr since it's only getting worse.
  • Options
    Heidiman said:

Did you bring your prenatal vitamins and dha to the hospital? I'm assuming you just continue those and its good for bf'ing, right? Or just wait to get home? I'm sure its no big deal either way. Just curious since I haven't seen it on any lists.

They will put you on them while you are there. You actually aren't supposed to bring any of your own meds not even Tylenol. Everything is supposed to be given to you by the nurses/doctors.
  • Options

Heidiman said:

They will put you on them while you are there. You actually aren't supposed to bring any of your own meds not even Tylenol. Everything is supposed to be given to you by the nurses/doctors.
    I've had to bring my asthma inhaler to the hospital before for surgery. They even brought it into the operating room with a label on it. That's typically the same when my mom goes in for COPD. They always make her bring her own rescue inhaler. I figured it would be the same with vitamins. Thanks.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Ok. This is totally embarrassing, but here it goes....my nipples are peeling. Just the nipple nothing else. I'm using lanolin and was using ml nipple cream. There's no blood and very minimal pain. Has this happened to anyone else? It's finally gotten to the point where I'm going to work up enough nerve to ask my dr since it's only getting worse.
    This has been happening to me, too!! It's sooo strange. Also some new bumps have appeared around them...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Crap, so I JUST learned about how toxic dryer sheets are the other day (and was reiterated by MamaFantasic's post a few pages back).  Even though I have free and clear dryer sheets I used them on ALL of the baby laundry.  Ugh.  
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    MC #1 January 2013
    DS born 4/06/14
    MC #2 August 2015
    CP November 2015
    MC#3 January 2016
    BFP 5/11/16  EDD 1/19/17
  • Options
    The nipple peeling and bumps are normal, I think. I've experienced it with three babies now.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • Options
    thomas930thomas930 member
    edited March 2014

This has been happening to me, too!! It's sooo strange. Also some new bumps have appeared around them...

The bumps are normal. They are called Montegomery's tubercles. They secret oil to help protect the nipple and it also aids in breastfeeding. The peeling is usually caused by the friction from your bra.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

On a more serious note:

Those of you who have had PPD, were you able to recognize it? Could you basically self-diagnose? My mother had it and I'm worried about having it as well. DH and I have discussed it and he's worried that I wouldn't be able to 'acknowledge' or recognize it if I did get it.

Like how would you tell the difference between tired and overwhelmed vs. PPD? Just curious.

I think you begin to notice- well I did anyway. I probably noticed way after I was showing signs and after DH noticed.I didn't address it like I should've and really regret that. Keep the lines of communication open. If your dh or anyone else should notice your struggling, consider it.

This was similar for me as well. With my first it took a while to realize what was really going on, but since DH could see a pretty significant change in me we know it was more than just being overwhelmed. It was easier to recognize it when it happened after my second. Since I have shown a history of it my midwife is on alert for it to show up again.

Keep communication open with DH and be open to hearing him out if he raises concerns. It wasn't easy for me to admit that there were issues.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    thomas930 said:

The bumps are normal. They are called Montegomery's tubercles. They secret oil to help protect the nipple and it also aids in breastfeeding. The peeling is usually caused by the friction from your bra.

The little bumps are normal. They got really obvious when I started bf, but got smaller again.

I think I remember my LLL Leader saying that you can over use nipple cream and it can cause the skin to peel off. No idea what's causing your issue, but it could be too much oil.
  • Options
    purespark said:

Is it reasonable to have two pack n plays? We registered for one, and received it, and then my husband's boss just handed theirs down to us, too. We have a two-story house; I was thinking it might be convenient to keep one upstairs in our room for co-sleeping and use the other downstairs, or for travel... Or should we return the registry pnp?

We had two for a short while when DS was born and that's exactly what we did - one upstairs in our room for cosleeping and one downstairs. It was definitely much more convenient that way. But then we only used one when DD was born and got along just fine so it's really up to you. If you want to exchange for something else then that's an option but having two won't hurt.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • Options

I have been following this thread and making a million mental notes. I haven't seen anything mentioned about the medela freestyle pump on here yet. Sorry if it was! I honestly know nothing about it and wanted to get spare parts to be prepared. It doesn't seem to have membranes (at least they aren't sold anywhere), does anyone have experience with this pump?

I wasn't sure which one this was, but I just googled and the spare parts kit ($30) comes with spare membranes.
    I'm not entirely positive, but I believe all the membranes for Medela are interchangeable.

Ok just kidding. This is the target link, but the whole piece is the membrane I believe.
    https://m.target.com/p/medela-freestyle-spare-parts-kit/-/A-10989838

Okay, that clears it up for me. I was confused and I didn't want to take it out of the box just yet. Thank you ALL so much for the replies. This thread has had some really helpful questions and replies. :)
  • Options
    snappyK said:
    My hospital also says not to bring things to plug in, but I noticed in the tour that there were plenty of plugs available in the rooms. It seemed to me from how the tour guide was talking that they didn't want people bringing, like, TVs or boom boxes, but that you should be able to get away with charging your phone.
    I would call and see if they just meant that your stuff needs to be checked before you can plug it in. At my hospital they tell you not to plug anything in until someone from environmental services comes up and checks/tags your phone chargers etc. While they obviously have backup redundant electrical systems, they want to make sure that no one is plugging in things with damaged wires or anything that could short out equipment and cause a problem. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    What are the first few days at home with LO like? I picture myself being extremely busy but then again I know they sleep alot. What was a typical day like for you?

baby slept and ate a lot. Take the opportunity to stay off your feet. The first days for me were easier than the next few weeks when baby started having growth spurts and being more alert/demanding.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Options
    On a more serious note: Those of you who have had PPD, were you able to recognize it? Could you basically self-diagnose? My mother had it and I'm worried about having it as well. DH and I have discussed it and he's worried that I wouldn't be able to 'acknowledge' or recognize it if I did get it. Like how would you tell the difference between tired and overwhelmed vs. PPD? Just curious.
    I was never officially diagnosed, but my midwife is looking for it now because looking back I had PPA and possibly PPD.  The problem is that the standard questions you're asked after LO arrives are often things like, "Are you crying irrationally?" "How are you feeling?" and I always thought to myself, "I'm drowning", but it must be normal new mom thing and things seem to be getting better anyways.  

Have DH watch for it because while you're in the middle of it it's really, really hard to see that you need help.  Also, since your mom had it, I think she'll be on the lookout for warning signs too.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Girl: 2014/4/25  K: Born 2012/02/20
    BFP 12/31/2010; missed m/c @ 6w1d, medical m/c(Misoprostol)@ 13w2d.    My Blog

• Options
    KimC85 said:
    So I had my first cervical check today and I'm barely 1cm but almost 100% effaced.  Some medical website (I forget which one) said that when you're 100% effaced labour is right around the corner.  Any truth to this from STM experience?
    It does make it more likely since when you're 100% effaced baby's head is right there.  It's not a guarantee, but I would think that walking around a lot would help if you're already completely effaced.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    So... My hair gets pretty oily fast if I don't blow dry after washing it, and usually have to wash at least every other day or it gets pretty gross. Is it normal to take a hair dryer to the hospital if you shower? I feel like it would be really loud if baby is in my room but didn't know the protocol. I typically have to use dry shampoo on the second day, and by day 3 it's beyond needing a wash. TIA!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married 9/18/10
    TTC 1/1/12
    BFP #1 12/13/12 MMC Confirmed 1/30/13
    BFP #2 6/17/13, (Clomid+Ovidrel) CP Confirmed 6/26/13
    BFP #3 8/14/2013 (Letrozole+IUI) Charlie Grace born 5/2/2014

Laparoscopic surgery 8/15 to remove misplaced IUD

BFP #4, #5, #6  (Letrozole+IUI)all MMC, BFP #7 EDD 1/3/2017

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Ok, here's my stupid question: baby hasn't dropped. Belly hasn't moved anywhere, I have the pictures to prove it. But when I bend over I feel like there's something in my butt/vag. I didn't have this sensation with DD. Anyone else have this weird feeling only when they bend?
  • Options
    snmetz7snmetz7 member
    edited March 2014
    I work about 45 mins for home And plan to work to the point I going to labor. If My water breaks at work and I'm contracting will I be able to drive myself home?
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @snmetz7 said:

I work about 45 mins for home And plan to work to the point I going to labor. If My water breaks at work and I'm contracting will I be able to drive myself home?

Chances of water breaking as the first sign of labor and contractions immediately coming fast & hard are slim, so you *should* be fine. I do know a woman who drove herself to the hospital without issue.
    *Married 10.10.08*
  • Options
    @MrsStanton87‌ I switched from red ras leaf to "pregnancy tea" because I prefer the flavor. From what I read, pregnancy tea just has a few extra ingredients but maintains the (claimed) benefits of rrlt.

imageimage
  • Options
    The baby will be sleeping in our room. We have two stand fans in our room, because our house is old and the air conditioning isn't the best in our bedroom. Is there any reasons we won't be able to have the fans on with the baby in our room? I'm worried she might get too cold?
  • Options
    Thanks!!
  • Options
    LoriMc12 said:
    Crap, so I JUST learned about how toxic dryer sheets are the other day (and was reiterated by MamaFantasic's post a few pages back).  Even though I have free and clear dryer sheets I used them on ALL of the baby laundry.  Ugh.  
    I just did some reading into dryer sheets and realized that I did the same thing... the dryer sheets my mom uses are "free and clear," but do you ladies think I should rewash and re-dry all my baby clothes without the dryer sheets?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Question spurred from the weight thread: when do your hips start widening? I haven't noticed a change in mine at all, but that could be due to the fact that my growing belly is a much more noticeable change in body. :D
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
  • Options
    kangstadt said:
    LoriMc12 said:
    I just did some reading into dryer sheets and realized that I did the same thing... the dryer sheets my mom uses are "free and clear," but do you ladies think I should rewash and re-dry all my baby clothes without the dryer sheets?
    Yes.  Babies have tiny systems and really can't put up with as much of the toxins that we expose ourselves to.  Get dryer balls and just use those instead of dryer sheets.  YOu can even get dryer balls that have essential oil scents if you like scented stuff.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    SLSchuerg said:

Question spurred from the weight thread: when do your hips start widening? I haven't noticed a change in mine at all, but that could be due to the fact that my growing belly is a much more noticeable change in body. :D

If memory serves me correctly, I think they started spreading for me around 15 or 16 weeks or so? That's about when my underwear stopped fitting but I still hadn't gained any weight (I was actually still below my prepregnancy weight since I had lost some first tri.)

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• Options
    I went from wearing underwear in a size S to being more comfortable in an M pretty much in the third trimester. It's not butt, just hip circumference. This does not bode well for my clothes.
  • Options
    What are considered the "essentials" to pack in a diaper bag? I'll be BF'ing if that matters and don't want to lug around a crazy heavy diaper bag.
  • Options
    hbell12 said:

What are considered the "essentials" to pack in a diaper bag? I'll be BF'ing if that matters and don't want to lug around a crazy heavy diaper bag.

I'm pretty minimalist- diapers, wipes, mini rash cream, changing pad, change of baby clothes, burp cloth, breast pads if you're leak prone.
    *Married 10.10.08*
  • Options

hbell12 said:

It kinda varies. I know that's not helpful, lol.
    Wipes, diapers, diaper cream, something to lay baby down on to change them (changing pad, or just a receiving blanket works too). Nursing cover, at least 1 outfit change in case of blowouts. If you have a spitter, maybe a bib or two, and a burp cloth or two. Ummm......those are probably the absolute essentials for EBF. FF would need bottles, water, and formula as well.
    Oh, a pacifier or two if they take them. A toy or two
    Thanks! I figured it couldn't be that difficult but didn't want to pack the whole nursery! Haha.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"