April 2014 Moms

Stupid Questions Thread

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

• @ksulli‌ @AcaAwkward‌
    That's why I was asking! It was on baby center and it freaked me out!! I thought it was over the top but I didn't know. Thanks!!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• poru said:

snmetz7 said:

Okay thanks Ladies. Both my girls will be born here in Africa so I don't have a frame of reference. I have the best insurance you can get here and we pay about $1000-1100 out of pocket for a cs. The insurance covers $1500. I just didn't know if birthing in the US was a lot more expensive than here. My family/friends always asked me a lot of questions about delivering a baby in a 3rd world country.

if the total cost of a CS is 2600 (1100 pocket and 1500 insurance), then it is a lot cheaper there than it is here. it is about 30000 (before insurance) for a CS here

Yep -- my Hospital stay, ECS and NICU (short-term) bill were way over $200,000.00 before insurance kicked in.

Mine also. Before insurance it was 140K
  • Loading the player...
  • Heidiman said:

Another question... Baby Center just got me into a FTM fit about a first aid kit. Here's the list. Good, too much, add something else you didn't know you would need until baby arrived?

Infant and/or child thermometers (both digital and ear or rectal)

Children's and/or infants' acetaminophen and ibuprofen, as recommended by your doctor, to relieve fever and mild pain

Antihistamines, as recommended by your doctor, for insect bites, hives, and allergic reactions

Topical calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream (.5%) for insect bites and rashes

Rubbing alcohol swabs to clean thermometers, tweezers, and scissors

Petroleum jelly to lubricate rectal
    thermometers

Antibiotic ointment for cuts and scrapes

Irrigating eye wash to rinse irritants from eyes

Saline nose drops to clear stuffy noses
    Aloe gel for burns

Tweezers for removing splinters and ticks

A pair of sharp scissors

Child-safe sunscreen (See sun safety and sunscreen guidelines.)

Child-safe insect repellent
    Nasal aspirator bulb (not a pointy-ended ear syringe)

An assortment of adhesive bandage strips in various sizes and shapes (for children's sensitive skin, get the less-sticky kind)

Gauze rolls (1/2 to 2 inches wide)

Gauze pads (2 by 2 inches and 4 by 4 inches)

Adhesive tape

Sterile cotton balls

Cotton-tipped swabs

Non-latex gloves

Mild liquid soap (most antibacterial and deodorant soaps are too strong for babies' sensitive skin)

An oral syringe or calibrated cup or spoon for administering medicines

A package of tongue depressors for checking sore throats

A hot water bottle and an ice pack

A small flashlight to check ears, nose, throat, and eyes

Blanket (space blanket)

First-aid manual: American Medical Association Handbook of First Aid and Emergency Care

About the tweezers for tricks and bees, it would be better to get a tick key (REI sells them) as tweezers can make the problem worse. We camp with a small bottle of cooking oil in our E-kit, which instantly removes ticks. The oil suffocates them and they back right out without the risk of introducing further germs or breaking the head off.
  • So I'm prepping my GMD unbleached prefolds and after the first wash they have a really weird smell to them. Kind of musty but really hard to explain. Does anyone know if this it's normal? I know someone on here was an expert in prepping prefolds but I can't remember who.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Are the shields, valves and membranes of the medela Pisa dishwasher safe?
  • poru said:

If you have a SCS do they break your water once they cut you or through your vag? My first was ECS so I had already been in active labor and water broke that way.

They will break it during the C section through the incision on your uterus.

Interesting thought since it looks like I am headed for a RCS.  I would think that would require a lot of suction to avoid getting amniotic fluid all over your insides.  Would it be gross if I went in search of a youtube video?

I don't know all the logistics of it, but I know the dr broke my water during the csection and my DH said that's the only part my dr did, his associate did the rest. However the nurses beforehand and my DH afterwards talked about him breaking it, apparently that's the only part that weirded my DH out.
  • poru said:

Are the shields, valves and membranes of the medela Pisa dishwasher safe?

I would get a pack of the microwave steam bags and do that instead.

Ditto. I love those damn steam bags! And you can reuse each of them 20x!
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • Sorry in advance, I know the topic of breast pumps have been beaten to death but what accessories or extras do you need to buy? Mine came with the basics - pump, chords, attachable bottles, and some disposable pads ... Obviously I need bottles but what else?!
  • Tferr02 said:

poru said:

If you have a SCS do they break your water once they cut you or through your vag? My first was ECS so I had already been in active labor and water broke that way.

They will break it during the C section through the incision on your uterus.

Interesting thought since it looks like I am headed for a RCS.  I would think that would require a lot of suction to avoid getting amniotic fluid all over your insides.  Would it be gross if I went in search of a youtube video?
    I don't know all the logistics of it, but I know the dr broke my water during the csection and my DH said that's the only part my dr did, his associate did the rest. However the nurses beforehand and my DH afterwards talked about him breaking it, apparently that's the only part that weirded my DH out.

It can get pretty messy with all the fluid. They will suction the fluid and wipe up to make sure there isn't a lot left behind. Hmmm...not sure if you want to see it on YouTube...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ahoefling said:

Sorry in advance, I know the topic of breast pumps have been beaten to death but what accessories or extras do you need to buy? Mine came with the basics - pump, chords, attachable bottles, and some disposable pads ... Obviously I need bottles but what else?!

Extra membranes I have heard. With my last pump I didn't know that and had pretty bad results, but it was also a cheap not good pump. So, I'm still learning too with the medela.
  • spano41 said:

So I'm prepping my GMD unbleached prefolds and after the first wash they have a really weird smell to them. Kind of musty but really hard to explain. Does anyone know if this it's normal? I know someone on here was an expert in prepping prefolds but I can't remember who.

@MamaFantastic‌ is the expert....hopefully she can help you
  • @RedDawnsRevenge‌
    Great advice with the oil. I'm going to try that on one of our dogs who runs into the woods a lot and always picks up a tick or four. I love simple remedies like this. Thanks!!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• bacorreabacorrea member
    edited March 2014
    Ok super dumb question, but my toe next to my big toe (index toe?) on both feet are KILLING ME. Is this normal? My feet aren't swollen. I'm not sure what to do about it.

Edit: hit post too fast
  • @cgoldian‌ -- I totally took the HOV lane last week :) hehehe. Pregnancy counts right??-- so a baby absolutely will! But really--according to the DOT, infants do count!

May the Fourth Be With You: Our 5-4-14 Baby: Andrew Joseph
  • Ok everyone's asking how to get baby out... How do I keep her in? I need more time! Haha (I don't expect real answers to the question)
    Why do my boobs look so good?image
    Then I peed on a stick...image
  • So I'm prepping my GMD unbleached prefolds and after the first wash they have a really weird smell to them. Kind of musty but really hard to explain. Does anyone know if this it's normal? I know someone on here was an expert in prepping prefolds but I can't remember who.
    @MamaFantastic‌ is the expert....hopefully she can help you
    musty??  i don't know, that's weird.  are you sure it's not something in your washing machine?  did you use detergent in the load, or no?  (please tag me in your response, as i don't check RTT and i'm 98% sure i'd never see your answer otherwise)
  • sking72 said:

Ok everyone's asking how to get baby out... How do I keep her in? I need more time! Haha (I don't expect real answers to the question)

Get a cork and tell her stories about areas of the country still getting snow.
    Still snowing here, she has to stay in. Perfect.
  • @MamaFantastic‌ it might have been my washing machine or it might be that I am just used to using dryer sheets and different detergent so they didn't smell as clean as I'm used to. After the third load they smell better. The first load I did was just a rinse, the second I used detergent but only 1/4 the amount because that's what people recommended for our soft water. The third I used half the normal amount of detergent and that seemed to work much better. I'll figure all of this out eventually!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • oooooh @spano41 , you need to stop using those dryer sheets, girlfriend!!  you can't use dryer sheets at all if you're drying your diapers in there too (i don't mean in the CD loads themselves....  i mean EVER, in any laundry load)

also, take your lint trap out and scrub it with soap and a toothbrush, as the residue from the dryer sheets will likely have caked up the mesh screen quite a bit, and can lead to inefficiency and potential for lint backup and fire hazards.  dryer sheets are actually highly toxic.  yucky stuff!  google it...  it will be quite an interesting read.

what brand of detergent are you using??
  • nikki912nikki912 member
    edited March 2014

Can someone please remind me what the contraction-timing rules are? I keep reading that some moms are getting real contractions for days/weeks before going into labor. How long do you need to be contracting on a consistent, timeable basis to know you're actually in labor (like if they don't stop for hours) ?

Typically the rule is 4 or 5 minutes apart (4 for FTM and 5 for STM), lasting for a minute, for an hour. The contractions should also be strong enough to take your breath away/not speak through them.

April 2014 May Siggy Challenge: Funny Animals- Kangaroo Mating Ritual

• They told us in labor class the 5-1-1 rule. Contraction lasting 1 minute at 5 minutes apart happening for 1 hour
  • @MamaFantastic‌ so I can never use dryer sheets again?!?! I obviously wasn't going to use them on the diapers but I didn't know I couldn't use them in the dryer at all. I do clean my lint trap with soap and water semi regularly. I am using All small and mighty free and clear right now which gets mixed reviews. I know there are other detergents that are supposed to be better, but there aren't a ton of detergents that are compatible with my machine. All F&C works for some people and its what we were already using so i thought I'd see if it works for me. I've read a lot about detergents and doing CD laundry in HE washing machines with super soft water and everyone gives different advice so I'm just going to have to see what works.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • sking72 said:
    Ok everyone's asking how to get baby out... How do I keep her in? I need more time! Haha (I don't expect real answers to the question)
    I need mine to make it to her RCS as well and I'm worried! I said I was going to just keep my legs crossed!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Are the shields, valves and membranes of the medela Pisa dishwasher safe?
    Yes, they are.  I often washed mine this way.  The membranes though (tiny white pieces) will just slip out and your dishwasher will eat them.  

The Medela microwave steam bags are awesome.  Load as much crap in there as possible and use them.  You can also use them for more than their 20 uses.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Girl: 2014/4/25  K: Born 2012/02/20
    BFP 12/31/2010; missed m/c @ 6w1d, medical m/c(Misoprostol)@ 13w2d.    My Blog

• Can someone please remind me what the contraction-timing rules are? I keep reading that some moms are getting real contractions for days/weeks before going into labor. How long do you need to be contracting on a consistent, timeable basis to know you're actually in labor (like if they don't stop for hours) ?
    The rule for our hospital is first time moms: 5 minutes apart for at least 1 hour.
    2nd+ moms: 10 minutes apart for at least 1 hour.
  • Leeroy80 said:
    Stupid question here: what brand of burp clothes do people use? I am cloth diapering and have nice GMD prefolds. Do CD moms also use their nice prefolds as burp cloths or do you buy the cheapie Gerber brand and use those purely as burp cloths? I'm probably overthinking this.
    I just used the millions of receiving blankets I got. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Sorry in advance, I know the topic of breast pumps have been beaten to death but what accessories or extras do you need to buy? Mine came with the basics - pump, chords, attachable bottles, and some disposable pads ... Obviously I need bottles but what else?!
    Extra membranes I have heard. With my last pump I didn't know that and had pretty bad results, but it was also a cheap not good pump. So, I'm still learning too with the medela.
    The membranes really help with the suction power.  Medela recommends switching them out every 3 months, but they're really cheap to get and I know moms who changed them every month or couple of weeks if they used their pumps a lot.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Girl: 2014/4/25  K: Born 2012/02/20
    BFP 12/31/2010; missed m/c @ 6w1d, medical m/c(Misoprostol)@ 13w2d.    My Blog

• I bought a pack of Gerber prefolds to be used as burp cloths and they are great - nice and thick and what you expect. Then, the other day at Target I bought what I thought was the same thing, but they were actually Gerber birdseye cloth diapers and they are the WORST. Super thin, small and scratchy. They would be worthless as a diaper - I don't even know how they could call them that. I don't even want to use them as a burp cloth. They may go straight to the cleaning rag pile.

Also, Aden and Anais burpy bibs are great, but definitely $$$.
  • Am I being crazy neurotic if I put some leftover puppy pee pads from dog training on my side of the bed in case my water breaks overnight? My inlaws gave us an amazingly comfortable down mattress topper and I'm not sure I want to find out what will happen if it gets wet and/or pay the astronomical price to clean it off my normal schedule. I know most women don't have the great flood or anything but my brain keeps saying it could be you.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Am I being crazy neurotic if I put some leftover puppy pee pads from dog training on my side of the bed in case my water breaks overnight? My inlaws gave us an amazingly comfortable down mattress topper and I'm not sure I want to find out what will happen if it gets wet and/or pay the astronomical price to clean it off my normal schedule. I know most women don't have the great flood or anything but my brain keeps saying it could be you.

I never really worried about it but you could just sleep with an overnight pad on?

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • Re: burp cloths -- my faves were the Gerber prefolds and A+A burpy bibs. We had all the fancy monogrammed ones we got as gifts that never saw the light of day.
  • AcaAwkwardAcaAwkward member
    edited March 2014
    purespark said:

Just read the brochure from my hospital's preregistration and it notes that patients can't plug electronics into outlets in the rooms. So um, how do we charge our phones? Did anyone else have this restriction? If so, how did you deal? I'm going to call the hospital to ask, but wanted to see if A14 had additional insight or suggestions.

That is really odd...even in your recovery suite that you're in for 24-48 hours?

We plugged loads of stuff in.
  • My hospital also says not to bring things to plug in, but I noticed in the tour that there were plenty of plugs available in the rooms. It seemed to me from how the tour guide was talking that they didn't want people bringing, like, TVs or boom boxes, but that you should be able to get away with charging your phone.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • sking72 said:

Like PP said I think they mean no George Foreman grills, no CD players, etc.

How do they expect me to mak my cheeseburgers then?
    Just ignore and sneak in the grill! George Foreman grills make incredible grilled cheeses.
  • If I put baby in a rock n play for naps/between feedings, do I need to strap her in? Or only when she's old enough to really wiggle around?

• Definitely a stupid question here: since your uterus is so huge now, and is basically right under your ribs, it hurts there during a contraction too right? I feel silly but when everyone says it feels like menstrual cramps on steroids I didn't think about how much more space your uterus takes up so how much more pain it would be if it's your whole uterus that hurts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"