October 2022 Moms

The Great Big Question Thread!

Re: The Great Big Question Thread!

• A very different topic - I received a grand jury summons in the mail for next week. It is not ideal for me to serve right now as I have medical appointments, but if I postpone I will then be on maternity leave and the sole caregiver for my child.

The juror's office wouldn't give me much advice and told me to consult a lawyer, but did say that having a newborn doesn't excuse me from serving my postponement.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Should I postpone and then try to get an exception or should I show up on my date and plead my case in person?

I have a headache 
    :s
  • bows22bows22 member
    @sandy5693 I’m sure this varies by county/state, but here if you are breastfeeding that does exempt you or at least allow you to defer. I would search on Facebook for a moms group in your closest city and ask there. Be prepared for some potentially incorrect info but you will probably get better direction. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @bows22 thank you!  Yes, I tried posting on the neighborhood moms group and they is so much conflicting feedback.  I am going to ask our lawyer at work to see if she knows about the breastfeeding exemption/postponement.  Thank you so much.
  • @jilliboo Minor fluctuations in weight aren't a real cause for concern. Sudden major weight changes are something to flag. 2-3lbs should be fine.
  • Thanks everyone! The nurse wasn’t too worried, but said if I felt worried or anxious to add an ensure shake to my snack time either in between bfast and lunch or lunch and dinner. I’ve always had a rough relationship with weight and food. No ED, but always hate seeing the number on the scale climb. So no more weighing for me. But have to eat 3 meals, and at least 2 snacks. My job keeps me pretty busy and mobile, so I walk a lot. Hoping for a healthy rest of pregnancy. 
  • @daisyyy Thank you for the update. I will send hopes and strength for him waking up soon! 
  • andossandoss member
    Hi everyone! Just returned from my 20 week US and was wondering if anyone else has a short cervix / incompetent cervix either now or in previous pregnancies? Any advice/support/positive stories? 
  • @daisyyyy Ive had a hospital birth, a home birth, a birth center birth, and an emergency c-section to boot:) I would echo the other responses that an out of hospital birth center was my favorite. It really is the best of both worlds. For me the tub was an essential comfort measure, so if you’re interested in water birth I would highly recommend a center with a nice jacuzzi tub, but other than that just a nice home-like environment. I unfortunately felt like  in the hospital my intentions to do an intervention free birth were responded to with extreme condescending attitudes from L&D staff. I preferred to be in an environment where my intentions for birth were completely supported, but with providers who could use good judgement if I needed or wanted to be transferred to the hospital.
  • ACAC25ACAC25 member
    @stephers_ if you are leaking you can collect BM but you shouldn't pump or manually express before baby is born. It can cause preterm labour
  • I think this is the right place for this question... My husband and I are pretty minimalist and live in a very tiny space that we don't plan on changing for the next 2 to 3 years. So my question is what are the absolute minimum pieces of baby stuff you would need to get through the day to day? 
  • As a newborn they need a place to sleep and usually a place to hang out to play. You can change them anywhere. 
  • @sandy5693 have you decided what to do about the summons? Is it certain that you would get called again soon after your baby is born? I would be tempted to show up and just explain it. I would think they would excuse you. 
  • @EmilyE13 After talking to 3 lawyers, some local moms, and my doctor - I postponed to the max date (December) and they all felt confident that I could get a further postponement or excusal once that date comes and I’m the primary caregiver/nursing/on leave. Crossing my fingers they’re all right! 
  • pangolindromepangolindrome member
    edited June 2022
    @wileybliss As a fellow minimal-livingspace resident, I will recommend the Graco Pack N' Play, either the plain version or the one with changing table and newborn sleeper. It is super easy to break down and set up (especially after assembling the newborn sleeper and changing table), so it is perfect as a play and/or sleep space that can be stored during the day if need be. We're talking a minute to set up or break down.
  •  has anyone ever experienced food poisoning while pregnant? I’ve been insanely sick the last day and can’t even keep water down. Kinda stressed out because I never had morning sickness or anything to the point of not being able to keep any fluids down at all, and have already been losing weight since I got sick when I should be gaining it at this far along. 
  • @daisyyyy I did with my first. I would definitely inform your doctor but really you'll probably gain it back once you rehydrate and can eat again. I lost a few pounds but once I could drink water my body was happy. 
  • rcgwrcgw member
    @daisyyyy I did - felt terrible for 24 hours but got over it quickly. If it doesn't go away by the 48 hour or so mark call your Dr and see if they want you to do anything different. 
  • mia80mia80 member
    @daisyyyy I had stomache flu in my first trimester, lost 5lbs and basically didn't eat anything but toast for 3 days. I talked to my OB and she said there wasn't anything to worry about. Our bodies will make sure baby gets nutrients before we do. 
  • Blegh, apparently I tested slightly high on the 1 hour glucose challenge test. I have to take the 3 hour test tomorrow to confirm whether or not I have gestational diabetes. I'm a little concerned because I haven't gained weight this pregnancy yet and I already eat pretty clean - I'm concerned that I'll have to start losing weight or something which is not something I want to do while pregnant. 

Does anyone have experience with gestational diabetes that they could share? 
  • bows22bows22 member
    @stephers_ no experience with GD but I do think if you were only slightly high on the 1 hour that there’s a good chance you will be okay on the 3 hour 
  • Usually if it's only slightly high you'll go on to pass the three hour ...that being said I don't develop GD until the 28 week mark. I pass at 24. I most definitely do not pass 4 weeks later. 
    You don't lose have to start losing weight if you have GD. The trick with GD is to eat EXACTLY the right amount of carbs and protein your body can process and that your body can survive on. You have to find out which foods are safe and which aren't. I can't eat fruit. One strawberry is worse than half a cup of chocolate ice cream for my body with GD. Also know that you didn't do anything wrong. This isn't on you. I had zero risk factors when I got GD with my second. Literally zero. No one in my family has ever had it but me. I've always been the smallest, healthiest, most active female in my family. Your body just needs help regulating. It will be okay if you take it seriously. 
    The three hour is an absolute nightmare though. I'm always shaking by the end. I'm skipping it this time 
  • Also what you eat before the one hour could impact your numbers. For those who haven't taken it yet and don't have to fast: try eating a low carb high protein meal before the one hour. It will help you not feel so sick and should help with any false positives. It will not prevent you from testing high if you have GD. 
  • @bows @krysnicole1022 thank you!! That's very helpful. I'm sorry you have had to deal with this before. That is insane about the strawberries! Bodies are so strange sometimes
  • @stephers_ honestly once you get into the swing of things it's very manageable. You can still eat ice cream and dark chocolate in moderation. I was crushed when I was diagnosed the first time. The second time it was expected and now with the third time coming up I'm pretty much just anticipating the change. I already started with little changes.
  • anyone else dying in this heat?!?! It’s so hot I can’t tell if I’m sweating, Have increased vaginal fluid, or if I’m leaking amniotic fluid. 
  • tpecitpeci member
    @daisyyyy my toddler brought home two gastros; one of which had me struggling to keep ANYTHING down for 3 days after pretty much emptying everything in my GI system. I sipped on rehydration pack mix very slowly for those 3 days and it got me through until I could slowly start eating again. It was a week of not eating much and lost 5-6lbs which I've since regained. Baby was fine! Take it easy and rest a lot; if you get dehydrated you can always show up to the hospital to get some IV fluids as well. Hope you feel better soon!
  • So my dog was having the zoomies last night, and unfortunately hit my belly right where my baby and placenta are since I have a bicornuate uterus, I know exactly where they are. No cramping and I felt baby kicking this morning around his normal time of 2:45am. But when I went to the bathroom, I had a tiny pit of tan/brown discharge. I have a call into the dr, but need some mom reassurance. 
  • @jilliboo That's so scary. My daughter slammed her chair directly into my uterus and I fell backward. I had some spotting after and some cramping. I went into the doctor the next day and my doc, who has been very understanding about my anxiety this pregnancy, told me the baby is super protected in there. I hope you get a peek at that baby for reassurance!
  • @krysnicole1022 thankfully I haven’t had any pain or cramping. Dr thinks the brown discharge could just be the usual I have. Since he’s been kicking and punching, I just need to watch for cramping or bright red. I have a normal appointment next Monday, so not too long to wait to hear my baby. 
  • Starting to understand the need for a belly band but there doesn’t seem to be a product spotlight on it so posting here. I live in NYC which is hot and sticky during the summer so looking for something that is both light and supportive. Thanks!
  • Hi @mcclanna - I'm also in NYC - I ordered this one from Amazon a while ago:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z4W4KZB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

It does the job, but I wouldn't wear it on a hot and sticky day.  Not sure of any alternatives that would be good in that situation.  But I feel ya!  I'm so scared for July and August temps here  :D
  • Anybody else fail their one hour glucose test? I’m a little in shock about this one. I passed it with my other daughter 4 years ago, so I have no idea what to do now. 
  • @mackenziep98 lots of women get unsatisfactory numbers for their one hour. A lot of the times it has to do with what you ate beforehand and how long before your test you ate. Odds are you will be fine for your three hours. 
     I passed with my first but developed GD with my next two (soon to be three) pregnancies. Yes it's scary and yes there are risks but in most cases you can easily manage it with diet and exercise and no need for insulin. 
    The night before your three hour make sure you eat a high protein low sugar/carb meal. 
    It sounds scary and if you have it give yourself a minute to process but the reality is that while it's an adjustment it's not really that big of a pain. Denying yourself all the delicious junk sucks but it's worth it. Plus you can still eat some chocolate and ice cream and a lot of melon!
  • @krysnicole1022 thank you. That makes me feel a little better. My numbers were 161. Do you know what the chances would be for my passing my three hour? Idk if 30 above the passing is a good or bad chance of me passing the 3 hr. I felt like I was already eating so much healthier than what I did pre-pregnancy. 
  • What did you eat beforehand?
  • For the record I had three years between my first and second and I had zero GD issues with my first but definitely had it with my second..
  • @krysnicole1022 I only ate a couple of eggs about 2-3 hrs before I went to take the test. 
  • 161 is kind of high so I would say your odds are 50/50 at this point. I wouldn't say being 30 above is great especially if you didn't really eat before. Honestly, it's super manageable and has the best motivation (healthy baby, healthy mama) so while it's an adjustment you can make it work.