October 2022 Moms
Options

The Great Big Question Thread!

Have a question? Drop it here so we can try and answer it, or point you in the right direction!

(Try to place questions here rather than in "one off" threads - keeps the board looking cleaner.)

Me: 34  DH: 34
Married 10/28/17
Our TTC Journey
TTC #1 February '18
Team Green turned Team Blue 10/15/18

TTC #2 January '21
BFP June '21
MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C July '21
Jan '22 - started IF testing
BFP Jan '22
MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C Feb '22
BFP May '22

Re: The Great Big Question Thread!

• Options
    I’m hoping I can make it to the end! It’s my 3rd and I found out gender at the 5 month ultrasound with my two girls, but realllly wanting to wait this time. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hey Knotties. Just a suggestion, if you change your username on here it would be easier to tag and acknowledge you. I was team green for my first and we have started talking about if we want to do that this time, but are currently going back and forth. I didn't mind being team green at all, it was actually pretty fun!
    Married 10/28/17
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1 February '18

TTC #2 January '21
    BFP June '21
    BFP Jan '22
    BFP May '22

• Options
    I was team green for my first and third babies. I'm unsure if we will be this time, but the surprise was fun with those 2😊
  • Options
    Question! I am 5 weeks and 2 days today. This morning when I went to the bathroom I noticed a very small amount of brown colored discharge. Nothing on my underwear and nothing actually leaking out. I of course googled it and it said it is prob fine but I just wanted to ask you guys to see what you think or if you have experienced the same thing. I almost want to go to the store to get another pregnancy test just to make sure it still says positive! 
  • Options
    I have changed it in settings but for some reason it won’t display it in comments 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • Options
    I have changed it in settings but for some reason it won’t display it in comments 🤷🏻‍♀️
    Have you tried logging out and then back in? That seems to work for some. Others have more issues so it might just be a wonky TB thing. 

@teacherchelsea I've always read that brown spotting is usually old blood and could even be implantation bleeding. Best bet though is to call your OB/MW and ask them. I usually always have luck calling into the nurse line to ask questions like that. I would also just keep an eye on it.
    Married 10/28/17
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1 February '18

TTC #2 January '21
    BFP June '21
    BFP Jan '22
    BFP May '22

• Options
    Ah! Do it with me-- I ALSO have 2 girls and found out with both of them. It is going to be hard but I think worth it. 
  • Options
    @teacherchelsea I've had this with both pregnancies. Nothing to worry about. Only worry if it is green, which could signal an infection, or if it's a lot of bleeding. Even bright red spotting just a bit can be normal, as the cervix is sensitive. I called in about that in my first pregnancy and my midwife said so long as it wasn't a lot and I wasn't in pain it was likely just a little cervical blood vessel burst.
  • Options
    First timer here! I have been having terrible night sweats, that leave me very cold and have been sleeping so poorly. Does anyone have experience with this symptom?
  • Options
    @mckenzc Third baby here and we’re going for the surprise this time! We did it with my first, found out with the second and wanting to hold out until the end this time. It’s so hard though because I really would love another girl so I’m afraid of being disappointed in the delivery room if it’s not! 
  • Options
    @kkinder93 When I was pregnant with my first I bought my DH "Dude, you're going to be a dad." I skimmed and it looked pretty good, but DH never read it. He's not a huge reader, so it wasn't because of content. 
    Married 10/28/17
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1 February '18

TTC #2 January '21
    BFP June '21
    BFP Jan '22
    BFP May '22

• Options
    @kkinder93 my husband just liked skimming the classic guides (What to Expect, etc) to know what's going on :) He found the dad-specific ones to be kind of annoying and overly gendered, and assumed he was really stupid or something, haha. Hopefully there's a good one out there now though!

As far as general pregnancy books, my favorites were Like a Mother and Expecting Better. They really helped change how I think about pregnancy and my body. I'll probably re-read them now!
  • Options
    @kkinder93 The Birth Partner is fantastic!!! I first read it when I was part of my sister's support team. It isn't overly gendered and is very informative and empowering. I also recommend Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth, which was recommended to me by my midwives during my first pregnancy
  • Options
    I am 5 weeks and I have been experiencing the same thing!!
  • Options
    Is anyone else having symptoms come and go? One day I feel tired and the next, I'm fine.
  • Options
    First time mama here. My cramps have gone away since last week but occasionally I’ll get pressure on one side in my lower abdomen. I still get pressure everywhere but it comes back sometimes just to the left side it’s a very dull pain and  It doesn’t hurt and it’s every once in awhile. I also haven’t had any bleeding or spotting.  My biggest concern is an ectopic pregnancy. A couple of women in my family have had them. I don’t want to just immediately think the worst so I’m curious if anyone else has felt that and everything turned out ok. I mentioned it to my mom and she said it could also be a cyst as anyone else experienced cysts while pregnant? 
    Trying not to overthink so much 😭
  • Options
    merostomatamerostomata member
    edited February 2022
    @katiebeth2022 could definitely be a cyst! Or anything. I definitely experience weird twinges in the ovary area, and did with my first too. It’s hard to tell exactly where cramps are coming from.  

From what I understand ectopics usually have bleeding and the pain is more sharp, rather than a cramp or ache. I can’t wait for us all to get the first scan, it relieves so many fears! If you have an OB or midwife now you couldn’t let them know? They could provide reassurance or maybe even do an earlier scan.
  • Options
    Anyone on their 3 or + pregnancy? I already feel stretched out. Do you start to show early after your second? Trying to hide it for as long as I can. 
  • Options
    @livinla7 Definitely comes and goes. All week I was exhausted, then yesterday I was full of energy and did 8 loads of laundry!
  • Options
    Anyone on their 3 or + pregnancy? I already feel stretched out. Do you start to show early after your second? Trying to hide it for as long as I can. 
    This is my 3rd (predicted to be 6 weeks tomorrow) and I SWEAR it already looks like a bump. But I know I’m just bloated and eating a little more freely

That being said, I am pretty small/petite/fit build and when I was only 10 weeks pregnant with my 2nd (and trying to conceal it) someone asked WITH CONFIDENCE if I was pregnant. And not a friend. So, you know that means they were sure. I was in maternity pants by 10/12 weeks and by 14 weeks I was showing off the bump. 

Sooo, I’m just waiting for these maternity pants to come into picture 😆 my leggings already feel snug. It happens so early with your consecutive pregnancies. 
  • Options
    @mckenzc This is my second and my pants are already snug too! I showed pretty early with my first (he was a big ol' 9lb 1oz at birth) so I can only imagine how bumpy I'll be this time.
  • Options
    cdf121089cdf121089 member
    edited February 2022
    @katiebeth2022  I’m having the same symptom! Just on the left side. A friend of mine mentioned that it could be that the implantation has occurred on the left side of my uterus. I wouldn’t call it pain-more like a quick zing or sensation. She said it could also be referred pain from the uterus. Trying to stay positive & not think too much about it. I’ve heard miscarriage cramps & a rupture from ectopic pregnancies are quite painful - like worse than typical period cramps so I’m going to hold out until my first appointment unless it gets worse. 
  • Options
    @proudmama15 This will be my third, too, and I’m already feeling “fullness” in my lower abdomen. I’m sure it’s bloat for now, but I also know the muscle memory is real and I showed much sooner with #2 than #1. 
  • Options
    Number 4 here! And yes! I know I’m more bloated and this is the lowest weight I’ve ever started a pregnancy at by 30 pounds, but the bloat belly is so real. 
  • Options
    @iscea Addressing your question about birthing centres and pain meds here! I highly recommend reading The Birth Partner, Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth and HypnoBirthing for lots of information about pain management. Maybe also consider working with a doula if that's accessible to you. If you do decide to use a birth centre and you reach a point where you absolutely need to tap out you can choose to transfer to hospital for an epidural, so that option isn't gone for you, you're just supporting the opportunity to have an unmedicated delivery by choosing a birth centre. 

My primary birth preference was a birth centre but after labouring at home for a very long time with little to no progress I opted to go to hospital instead for an epidural to give me opportunity to sleep before delivery. This time I have the same first preference to try for the birth centre, but knowing that if my labour really will not progress I will opt for the epidural again. Signing up for one plan now does not mean you don't have the right to change your mind at any point on the journey. 

I will say that fear is the biggest contributor to painful labour and delivery so the more you can do to ease your anxieties throughout pregnancy the better.
  • Options
    Hi Everyone! I have just launched a new facebook group for pregnant women due 2022/2023. There, you can meet women who are going through this beautiful journey with you, share pics and ask questions. https://www.facebook.com/groups/pregnantmoms20222023
  • Options
    Hi! First timer here!! Looking for advice…I took a new job and 2 weeks later found out I was pregnant. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I am afraid to tell my new boss because I am so new and not sure how he will react.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    @teacherchelsea It’s totally normal to experience implantation bleeding. Monitor it and ensure that it doesn’t increase more than your panty liner, also ensure to see your doctor in case it’s coupled with back pain, neck pain or cramps. All the best !
  • Options
    Hey everyone am a first time mom (6.2 weeks in) and it’s been a mixed experience so far. I ended up taking stress a couple of times due to my dysfunctional family 😅 and am worried whether it will cause any long term impacts.. could you please let me know what your experience has been with stress.. am hoping to take complete control of my stress going forward and cut out all negative influences 🙌
  • Options
    Hey everyone am a first time mom (6.2 weeks in) and it’s been a mixed experience so far. I ended up taking stress a couple of times due to my dysfunctional family 😅 and am worried whether it will cause any long term impacts.. could you please let me know what your experience has been with stress.. am hoping to take complete control of my stress going forward and cut out all negative influences 🙌
    I have been trying to keep the stress and anxiety at bay as well, but it is a struggle. I think just knowing what your triggers are and trying to avoid them is the first good step in that direction. I like to meditate and listen to soothing sounds to try to chill out, especially before bed. 

Also Knottie, please consider changing your SN and sticking around a bit. There are instructions on the "read first" thread and sometimes you have to log out and then back in, but it would be easier for us to distinguish you from all the other Knottie### and get to know you better. 
    Married 10/28/17
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1 February '18

TTC #2 January '21
    BFP June '21
    BFP Jan '22
    BFP May '22

• Options
    @teacherchelsea i am in the exact same boat. Because I’m only (4w+3) and had a very early MC in November I’m very sensitive to this stuff. Really keeping my fingers crossed though that it’s totally fine and appreciate everyone else’s comments. Has your brown spotting gone away since you posted?
  • Options
    Hi all, has anyone had experience taking : Zyrtec, Melatonin, or Dramamine? Are they preggy safe? Has Dramamine helped with nausea? 
  • Options
    > @darbyneely said:
    > First timer here! I have been having terrible night sweats, that leave me very cold and have been sleeping so poorly. Does anyone have experience with this symptom?

YES! I had night sweats last week. Completely drenched my PJs and sheets
  • Options
    @mcclanna I took Zyrtec throughout my last pregnancy, but that was 5 years ago so things could have changed. My OB office had an approved med sheet that they handed out, maybe yours has the same?
  • Options
    @darbyneely I've been having night sweats too... I chock it up to increased blood flow and hormones myself🤗  It might help to keep your room a little cooler than usual and use layers of thinner blankets so you can strip them down when you need.
  • Options
    lesann620lesann620 member
    edited February 2022
    I know if you need help sleeping it’s preferred to take Benedryl or Unisom instead of Melatonin. Most OTC allergy meds like Zyrtec and Claritin are just fine. Vitamin B6 taken in 25mg doses every 8-ish hours can help with nausea. But it’s always a good idea to check with your OB if you need help navigating which meds and supplements are ok during pregnancy.