October 2022 Moms

The Great Big Question Thread!

Re: The Great Big Question Thread!

• @mcclanna I get terrible migraines while pregnant. My doctor just suggested adding magnesium once a day as well. It’s good for muscle and bone health too, and I’ve noticed an improvement after 3-4 days. She also told me if they don’t go away to go to the hospital and they’ll hook me up with IV headache cocktail (that’s how bad mine have been). 
  • Silly question: what does it mean when people write 12+ 3 or 15+4? What is the plus and differentiation? I just say the amount of weeks I am. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @wolfiebaby the plus is number of days after week. So, for me a new week starts on Monday. I was 16 weeks on Monday. Today is Wednesday so I am 16+2. You don’t have to use it but sometimes it makes a slight difference in symptoms and then makes a big difference closer to D day!!! I gave birth at 40+5 with my first. So I feel obligated to add +5 because I was well over due but I wouldn’t want to say 41?

i mean it is a little silly. Just like when we say “oh, she’s 14 months.” Instead of a year. 😆
  • daisyyyydaisyyyy member
    edited April 2022
    mcclanna said:
    Second trimester and getting DAILY headaches. Pretty much from week 13 onward (it’s not blood pressure related, already checked). Doctor “prescribed” Tylenol and caffeine but if anyone has experienced this before and has other suggestions I am ALL EARS.
    Aghh the headaches!! I’ve had them so badly since around 3 weeks, and they were actually the first symptoms to suspect I was pregnant. Unlike the morning sickness that has eased up they have not and I still go bed and wake up with them constantly! Unfortunately I can’t take Tylenol so there isn’t much help there, but taking magnesium has helped a bit to make them tolerable to get through school and the day! 
  • @daisyyyy and @mcclanna mine are my primary symptom at this point, too, and I didn’t really have headaches with DD1 or 2. I did have debilitating heartburn with them, but not so much this time around. The headaches have been so rough, though. I try to get through them with caffeine and Tylenol. 
  • @daisyyyy how many mg of magnesium are you taking? My prenatals have 100 mg already so wondering what your total for the day is. I’ve heard from many that magnesium could be a good addition to the mix!
  • @mcclanna I’m taking 200mg 
  • having an ER follow up appointment with my OBGYN. Anyone know if they will use Doppler or do an US?
  • @jilliboo they SHOULD do an ultrasound because you were bleeding and I would really advocate for that. They might just do the Doppler but express your anxiety and concern about growth and the bleeding. They should check for the source of the bleeding. I had like two drops of red blood last night and they did an US to see if there was a reason. 
  • @krysnicole1022 you’re the best!!! I’m hoping they do the ultrasound. Every time I express my anxiety, they oblige but they don’t seem to happy. They are amazing drs and specialize in my weird uterus, but they don’t always have the best bedside manor. 
  • @jilliboo is your appointment today or tomorrow? Also who cares if they are happy about it? It's not good for us mamas to be so stressed and it's a simple thing they can do. It takes five minutes. I really hope they do one so you get peace of mind.
  • @krysnicole1022 they used the Doppler. Which as long as I can hear hb I’m good. They did some other tests for my piece of mind. And that was helpful. I had a very real talk with the dr and he thinks a low dose of anxiety meds should help take some of my edge off. He was very reassuring since he specializes in bicornuate uterus, and said we are so healthy and super strong hb, he personally is not worried about us. 90% of women with bicornuate uterus have spotting/bleeding because of the 2 different sides not communicating properly. We are 15 weeks today, so I’m feeling a bit better. Will start meds today. 
  • @jilliboo I'm glad you're feeling better!  I'm also glad your doctor listened to your concerns. I hope the meds will help!!!!
  • Entering the second trimester!! Does anyone have any tips on what things you should do or be planning ahead for, during this time? 
  • @daisyyyy honestly just enjoy it and keep an eye on the product spotlight to build your registry. Feel free to ask any questions you might have about anything. 
  • @daisyyyy I’m trying to take advantage of some renewed energy to build my freezer supply for post-baby. I double-up a recip every 1-2 weeks, and put 2/3 of the leftovers in the freezer. 
    Other than that, like @krysnicole1022 said, enjoy and start building your registry! 
  • @KGETS86 good for you for doing that! I always mean to but literally never do. I'm almost certain I would forget about it. Haha. I think I could manage a boatload of pancakes and waffles though so maybe I'll do that. We are big brinner people in our house. 
  • @krysnicole1022 we don’t really have family nearby (my in-laws brought us lunch once with my second, and didn’t show up until almost 2pm, making a nursing mom starve, and that was with the expectation they’d get to hog the baby and then not leave even when I was falling asleep on the couch), so I’m trying to be better prepared. I freeze pancakes and waffles too (my 4yo wants a pancake almost daily) so, I make double batches on the weekends. I’m trying to come up with a better system for keeping track of what’s in the deep freezers. Ask me in 6
    months how that goes ;-)
  • any bicornuate uterus moms out there? When did you first feel baby kick? And did you show earlier? I’m 15/5 and already showing. Just waiting to feel kicks. Thought I felt flutters, but not sure. 
  • @jilliboo Don't have that, but with both babies I showed quite early. 10 weeks with my first, 8 or 9 weeks with this one, so 15/5 definitely sounds like a common time to show.
  • I had a scary appointment today. I am 16w and 2d and they were not able to find a heartbeat on the Doppler. They used 2 devices and then I had to go to an ultrasound. Thank goodness when I was in there they found the heartbeat at 161 but it was so scary. Has anyone else had this happen? Would love any advice and how to relax and feel ok with how the baby is doing 
  • Hello mamas! 

FTM here and almost at the 14 week mark. I am considered a high-risk pregnancy and my doctor advised me to take low dose aspirin. Has anyone here taken these? Is there a “good” brand that I should go for? 

Thanks a ton!
    💛💛💛
  • @knottie I’m taking low dose aspirin at the direction of my provider team. I take the Bayer chewable kind. That’s really only because that’s what my husband picked up at the store though.
  • @pangolindrome yeah. Sometimes. Haha
  • Hello mamas! 

FTM here and almost at the 14 week mark. I am considered a high-risk pregnancy and my doctor advised me to take low dose aspirin. Has anyone here taken these? Is there a “good” brand that I should go for? 

Thanks a ton!
    💛💛💛
    Hi! My third was like this. I had two appointments (at about 13 and 17 weeks) in a row where they couldn’t find the heartbeat via Doppler. She just liked to hide. 

Since my doctor was a family med / OB in a small rural clinic, they didn’t have an ultrasound on site at the visit. Both times I had a 30 mile drive to the hospital to get an ultrasound. And on the ultrasounds she was always dancing away! My doctor was not able to consistently find her on the doppler until after 20 weeks.

My first two weren’t like this. And for this baby my doctor was able to find at my 14 week appointment.

I think there are just a lot of variables that make it harder to find on some pregnancies and it does not necessarily mean anything is wrong.
  • I've been struggling with eczema that's started to flair up on the back of my hand(s) and wrist. I also get dry red patches around my mouth and under my nose. I used to have baaad eczema as a kid so I have a great habit of using lotion after my shower regularly and I've been using CeraVe moisturizing cream specifically on those spots as needed but it's just not enough sometimes.
    Anyone else deal with this or have some solutions? I'll ask my OB about it next week at my appointment.
  • @moogieks my daughter has terrible eczema. We also use the CeraVe moisturizing cream but we've found that a layer of CeraVe Baby under and cream helps. We've also had success with Aveeno night time balm and CeraVe eczema cream in the red tube. Be really careful with everything including sunscreen. We are frequent flyers at the derm and unless you need a prescription strength ointment CeraVe is the best. 
  • I too was on low dose aspirin “baby aspirin” and took Bayer orange flavor that dissolved on my tongue. 
  • grahamkmgrahamkm member
    edited April 2022
    @moogieks I don’t struggle with eczema specifically but I live in a land of eternal winter and dry skin is a really big problem off and on for me! I’ve found that coconut oil is really helpful for chronic dry skin- you need to have time to sit after applying it since it’s so oily, but it could be worth exploring that as a moisturizer! 
  • I hope this isn’t as strange of a question as I feel. Has anyone else had impostor syndrome @ their pregnancy?
    I can’t explain it any better. Sometimes, I feel a bit like a fraud. I haven’t had the typical cravings, no real aversions, no vomiting, not the typical misery. I know that everyone’s pregnancy is different and it’s my first one, possibly my only one. I think I’m requesting reassurance?
  • krthousekrthouse member
    edited May 2022
    @pangolindrome I felt that with my firsrcpregnancy, even with aversions. Food aversions were one of very few symptoms I had through pregnancy with DS. I totally felt imposter syndrome, especially when I went past his due date.  This time I don't feel like an imposter but I also often have to rind myself that I'm pregnant and that there is in fact a baby in there. 
  • I’m still feeling pretty nauseous (16 weeks tomorrow), and I was so hoping for it to be gone by now! anyone else? 
  • I would like to invest in a fitness tracker for pregnancy and beyond - does anyone own a FitBit or Apple Watch and have pros/cons of either?  
  • edited May 2022
    I have a Fitbit but it doesn't have a pregnancy setting which I hate because of weight gain etc. I turned off the menstrual tracking but it would be nice if they had a pregnancy setting.
    I do love having something that helps keep track of my activity and motivates me. I'll have GD and exercise is essential to managing it without insulin. Fitbits are usually cheaper for the charges (I had the 3 and now I have the 4) than an apple watch but the apple watch definitely has it's benefits from those I know who have it.
  • pangolindromepangolindrome member
    edited May 2022
    @sandy5693 If you have an iPhone, I will strongly recommend an Apple Watch. They're a little pricey but they synchronize automatically to your phone for health info, they let you control your music/podcast apps from the watch, text and answer phone calls, add things to the shopping list/reminders/calendar, see local weather, set alarms, track your sleep if you're into that (not for me), and it really helped me with period tracking. It would even alert me that a period was coming up in the next chunk of time. There is still so much I don't use it for.
    OH! And it lets you find your phone when/if you misplace it by playing a noise on your phone. It works both ways - phone can make the Apple Watch chime as well. I use this too many times every day. I put my phone down everywhere.
    AND if you use the navigation app, highlights from navigating show up on your watch and if you have the sound on, it makes specific noises to alert you to whether you are turning left, right, or continuing straight.

I have the Apple Watch SE 36mm. I love it. That's probably obvious. I can't really tell you any cons because I haven't found any - except for the price tag.
  • Thank you @krysnicole1022 @pangolindrome - I am leaning towards Apple Watch since I do have an iPhone, but have been hesitant due to the price.  I am happy to hear that it has a lot of great features! So thankful for your feedback.
  • bows22bows22 member
    @sandy5693 DH and I have the series 3 which is considerably less expensive and we haven’t missed any features! If you aren’t planning to get it with cellular service I’d look into that!
  • @sandy5693 I don't have an iPhone. I think if I did I would have eventually sprung for the apple watch. The music feature would be enough for me.