April 2021 Moms
Options

Random Vents

Re: Random Vents

• Options
    I'm kind of jumping into this convo. My MIL and my mother have both passed away. DH and I have had many conversations about how our life will look once baby is here. It will largely rely on him and me being the care providers for our child, 99% of the time. Living in Canada, I'm very fortunate to be able to take a 1 year mat leave, and will come back to a very flexible schedule that I should mostly be able to work around DH's schedule. Our shifts may overlap occasionally, but in that case I plan on dropping our child off at my dads house, freshly changed and fed. I'm sure my dad could handle watching the kid for an hour until DH can get there after work. We will probably be hiring someone to come in and do basic house cleaning to take that off our plate as well. 

I would maybe do the same with FIL, as he is actually planning on moving to the city we live in to move in with his partner but I'm curious to see how his new relationship pans out. Since they have gotten together, him and his new partner haven't shown much interest in DH or me, as his partner has grandkids who they see often (his partners daughter just happens to be one of my best friends, they actually met through us, but that's a whole different level of drama).  I'm not too keen on them "all of a sudden" showing interest in us once we have kids. We are actually working on fixing that dynamic right now, before we even announce the pregnancy to them.

I'm interested to see if his partner will try to step up into a grandmotherly role, I will not be encouraging it or asking her to (my opinionis that our child has 2 grandmothers, they just aren't here). It will be interesting to see what happens when they have kids on both sides to worry about, not just 1 side.  Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that my FIL seems very happy in his new relationship. But blatantly choosing his new partner and her family over his own child infuriates me, and it's not likely I will forgive or forget anytime soon. 
  • Options
    @mommeleon I'm sorry you've both lost your mothers :( I'm sure it's frustrating to have FIL focus on his SO's family and use grandkids as the excuse. While both of our moms are still alive, we've managed 3,000+ miles away with kids and zero family on this side of the country to help for the past 3+ years. There are a lot of transplants doing the same where we live. Both of my girls started daycare around 6 or 7 months and I had to say no to certain things if both DH and I had conflicts and we needed to do pickup. We never did this because we kept planning to move and never pulled the trigger (until now - moving in less than 2 months finally) but getting a sitter you trust has been huge for our friends with no family support.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks @kvh22. This forum has been great, and gives me lots of hope for our situation, which I know is actually quite fortunate in many ways. It's great to know I'm not alone in some of the things I worry about. 

Fortunately, quite a few of my friends had kids pretty young, and they are 10 to 12 years old right now, so I'm hopeful to have a couple good reliable babysitters in there! Thanks so much for the reminder, it's a great one. 

That's so great you'll have more family support for the next baby, epecially having 2 kids already! 
  • Options
    @mommeleon we also have pretty much always managed on our own. We have three kids and zero family close by. I mean our childcare costs are in the 100’s of thousands by now since we have needed a nanny and preschool since 2013, but we have survived. I think having a support system of neighbors and friends as well as a handful of awesome sitters will be perfect.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @mommeleon yes to finding a trusted sitter. 

We moved 1,700 miles from all of our family the month before I delivered and were really struggling before we found trusted help, even with my very flexible schedule. 

We hit such a sweet spot when my son was in daycare last winter - his teacher even sat for us for date nights. Then Covid happened and we’ve been back to juggling ourselves again. We both can’t wait to get back to having childcare! I miss hanging out with my husband alone.
  • Options
    @mommeleon oh that does sound like a hard situation to navigate. My husband and his dad aren’t particularly close (his parents divorced when he was under 2) and when DS1 was about a year and half my FIL started to date someone seriously again. They are still together and honestly I love her and the relationship she has with us and our kids. She loves getting to see them when we visit but she’s never overstepped and tried to be a mom to us or insist on being called grandma or anything. I know it can seem like they might just be interested because of your new little one, but sometimes it can also be that the baby becomes the bridge to reunite families and help everyone forgive past arguments and mistakes. 
    I’m not always great at it, but it’s all in how you choose to see it. My MIL and I are not people who would be friends naturally, and we’ve had our fair share of fights and disagreements, but for the sake of family we just keep things on the positive side and just focus on the good. She’s not someone I’d go to on a bad day, but that doesn’t mean I can’t still have a good time with her. I hope whenever you and your husband decide to share this news (totally in your hands- you’ve got all of us supporting you no matter when and how!) but I hope that they can be grown ups too and show you both the love and respect you need and deserve. 💜
  • Options
    riff323riff323 member
    edited September 2020
    @mommeleon we lived 2000 miles away from our family and friends when DD was born, and just moved back when she was getting closer to 4. We managed! Lots of people do it.

I also have a FIL who has chosen his "new" family over his own family. He actually has never met our daughter, and she's 4. All I can do is try to accept it instead of letting it make me angry. My MIL makes a better effort, but she sucks too, and we've never really gotten along. She's always treated me like her son's wife, whereas my SIL (who also married into the family) is treated like her daughter-in-law. And then DH's sister suddenly unfriended me years ago and hasn't spoken one word to me since. It's awkward, but I don't care that much.

ETA: needless to say, there's a reason that MY family knows about the baby, and his family doesn't.
  • Options
    @theletlers @kvh22 oh man, the drama!  My MIL is older at 73, and I don't feel comfortable with her watching the baby when we are out of the house; there's no way she could pass the basic infant and child CPR/choking class. And she doesn't get around very well, and wont drive when it is cold or dark. We don't have any other family close, so we are going to have to do daycare starting around 3-4 months. I do worry that she pressure for us coming to see her more and just wanting to hold the baby. I guess if that comes, I will just have to set boundaries. Hopefully it will be a smooth transition with her.  
  • Options
    @pelorunningmama you're so right, support can be found in many different places. I guess that's part of why kids are so rewarding, seeing yourself make it work through all kinds of different situations. 

@rexnie the only part I think I will miss after the kid is born are the things DH could do until now, and the way we traveled. Oh, and probably sleeping in 🤣🤣.  It will be very, very different. Great that you and your DH were able to get some time just the 2 of you, I hope you're able to have that again soon. Covid has made everything so much more complicated. 

@theletlers I'm so glad that it's worked out well with you FIL's partner. Great that it worked that way for your family and it brought you closer together on that side. We are trying to spend more time with FIL and his partner, as I think that the lack of time spent with them (we have seen them maybe 8 or 10 times during the last year since their relationship began. FIL lives a 45 min drive away, and his partner lives 5 minutes from us, he is in our city regularly to see her) has seriously contributed to my resentment, along with the fact that they make zero effort to see us. FIL doesn't even tell us he's in town most of the time. DH seems happy to keep a distance, he's still struggling with his dad being in a relationship with someone else (they are actually engaged now 🙄). So that's been a bit of a balance too, but I think if he spends more time with them it will help him to feel a bit more accepting of it all too.

@riff323 ugh, that sounds messy. Im sorry you've been treated that way. Good for you for trying to not let family drama really bother you, I do hope to be able to do that myself one day. I do try to remind myself to not worry about things beyond my control, I'm better at it than I was, but not quite there yet! 
  • Options
    @theletlers that's a great perspective and what I try to go into my relationship with MIL with BUT she's manipulative so it's taken some time to get to the point where DH understands how she behaves. Now that he can see when she's being rude without me having to constantly point it out, it's much better but it took some work. She admittedly uses "Catholic guilt" on her children. Like...brags about it. She also had some mental health issues that it seems like she's worked through but, unfortunately, they really impacted our wedding and my first pregnancy/postpartum experience with DD1 so there's a bit of a gaping wound. I told DH if she could talk to me about it the way she has to others (my mom!) and apologize personally instead of telling other people that she was going through some stuff and realizes she acted illogically it would make a huge difference. DH said she will never apologize (she really doesn't - she's much too proud) so we're in this balance of keeping the peace but also a bit of distance.

@bbrahmbhatt yea MIL just turned 75. I don't think she could watch a baby or even DD2 who is 16 months on her own. She'd be great solo with DD1 who is 3. Since I'll be working from home after my 4 month mat leave, I'm down to have her come over and watch the baby to save on daycare for a while and continue to BF instead of pump. We'll use her when my mom (who works retail) and sister (who is a part time school OT) aren't available, but only at my house and - for now - not driving them anywhere. Once their older she can do school pick up for us if she's still okay to drive ;)

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    My insurance sent me an insurance card to use for baby during the first month they’re born as we’re waiting for the real one to come in. They wrote baby of *my first name* my ex’s last name*. We were never married. And he is not the father of this child. And they won’t change it. Just told me to make sure I let them know ASAP when y’all he baby’s born and hopefully I get the right insurance card before any infant appointments. 
  • Options
    Not really a vent but I don't know where else to ask/post! 

I'm at 9w1d and I haven't really had many symptoms over the last week. I know I shouldn't read into anything, and that I should really be relishing in the lack of morning sickness and fatigue, but I'm concerned because everything I read online sends me down a really dark rabbit hole. Have y'all had experiences like this? Where symptoms have ebbed and flowed? 
  • Options
    So I have to complain about my gynecologist for a second here.  Overall, she seems fine (I don't have the best track record with doctors tho).  I told her that I would be exercising throughout my pregnancy and she approved.  Then she made THE DUMBEST suggestion that made me lose all faith in her.  "Make sure you keep your heart rate under 140."  Not sure if she knows how exercising works but that is almost impossible.  I am still going to do my thing.  My heart rate is never sky high but it definitely triggered me.  Pregnant women should be encouraged to be active, it helps prevent complications and can lead to easier births!  When they say stuff like the 'under 140' BS it scares people!  I know what I am doing is fine and it still put me on edge!  Sorry, end rant.  

On the bright side she said artificial sweeteners were still totally safe.  I would die without my two diet cokes a day.  Today I was extra stressed and had three, oops!  She basically said that while diet soda is not 'good' for you, it should not have any side effects that hurt the fetus.  That's all I really care about at this point, I can only give up so many things for 9 months!  Anyone else drink diet soda or drinks with splenda or aspertame in them?
  • Options
    BuckeyeNut05BuckeyeNut05 member
    edited September 2020
    @theletlers my MIL referred to my last BUMP as a “pooch”, too (I am tall and lean, and was like over halfway through when she said this!), and I about lost all self control. Never OK to say. 
  • Options
    Ugh I think I jinxed myself. I had two good days of feeling normal and thought I was through the worst, then today came. I barely got out of bed. DH is supposed to go away for two nights and I have no clue how I will survive with all these children if I feel that was tomorrow. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @anarmillay92918 I know it can mess with your mind when your symptoms start to fade! I’m 9 weeks and the PA I saw yesterday at my appointment said that I may start getting over the nausea soon. She said hopefully it will start to diminish. I think it’s normal at this point for it to start fading for some! Everyone’s so different - I felt nauseous my entire pregnancy with our second. I was talking to DH about my cousin earlier, how she was nauseous for like one or two days with her recent pregnancy, and she had a totally healthy baby boy! It’s so hard not to worry, but try to rest assured that it is normal for symptoms to come and go. ❤️
  • Options
    anarmillay92918 I have had like zero symptoms aside from bloating and fuller breasts.  I will be 10 weeks tomorrow.  I am glad I'm not exhausted or throwing up but it definitely gets in your head when you hear about what other people experience.  Ultimately, I would rather have a miserable pregnancy if it guaranteed no complications with my baby!  I have had several friends say their initial symptoms faded after a while too.  Try not to stress, I know its hard! <3
  • Options
    @lbonista UGH the heart rate advice is so outdated!! They told me that with my first and I was too nervous to defy it but 2nd time around, I totally did exactly what you said. Told the doc, I’m doing this, I always do this, on a normal workout my HR is between these numbers, I know my body and what feels safe/unsafe. I totally understand your frustration!
  • Options
    @juliebird6 I know right!? Another friend of mine was an avid athlete all through her twenties and was told the same thing. I just feel like it’s irresponsible advice and lazy on the doctors part. As long as its nothing out of the ordinary for you, it should be fine!

I do worry about ab work, I am terrified of separation. I’m pretty sure I can keep doing sit ups through the first trimester but I am going to have to make some alterations once I hit week 13. 
  • Options
    @anarmillay92918 I truly hope you are just one of the pregnant ladies I sort of secretly hate a little bit because you just don’t experience these symptoms. It’s probably and I very hopefully want it to be that for you. I myself have never really enjoyed pregnancy and even with all of the miserable symptoms had complicated and high risk pregnancies. But I can understand just wanting to have something happen to reassure you. In hopefully about 6 or 7 weeks you might start feeling those early flutters and from then on you’ll be able to always feel more calm. Love to you and your little squish!

@kvh22 MIL drama just sucks! 

@BuckeyeNut05 I have no clue why anyone, especially another woman who once was pregnant thinks it’s okay to call it a “pooch.” It was so hard for me to not comment on hers the next morning when she said she needed to get back on her diet. 

@nattykik  wow, I hope that gets straightened out before birth!! Sounds like a headache!
  • Options
    @pelorunningmama you can do it!!! My hubs used to travel all the time for work pre-Covid so it was a lot of bracing myself for a 2-3 days alone at a time. Give yourself grace, order takeout, use paper plates, and put on movies!
  • Options
    @theletlers anytime someone commented on my weight when I was pregnant, I had to bite my tongue to keep from commenting right back to them. The closest I ever came was in a Staples parking lot when a random old man said “WHOA you got twins in there?!” I wanted SO BAD to be like “no, but when are yours due?” 😂🤷🏻‍♀️
  • Options
    @anarmillay92918 *hugs* it is so hard in these early weeks to not worry when symptoms go away (or never even start). It gets easier when baby is big enough for you to feel them move. It is totally normal for symptoms to come and go, and it is totally normal to not have symptoms. I was one of the blessed/envied mamas with my first pregnancy. I had one tiny bout of nausea one day, then I was that "glowing" mama who had sunshine coming out of her @$$. This pregnancy is already giving me payback though lol Google is your worst enemy, try to stay away. I always leaned on the STM+ mama's in my last BMB to help me if I thought something might be off-- it never was! 

@lbonista I *despise* anyone who lives by that old advice or thinks that pregnant women are fragile. You do you, mama. Stay fit and happy. Also re: ab separation.. I have it, its a little annoying now but didn't bother me before. I almost got them closed again before getting KO, but oops lol. In the end, it's not a huge deal and can be reversed in the vast majority of cases.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @lbonista that’s frustrating. From what I’ve read the 140bpm is outdated info. I’m an avid runner and ran 3+ miles several times a week up until the end of my first pregnancy. I had some bleeding at the beginning of this pregnancy and had just had a MC the month before I conceived so my MFM recommended I suspend heavy exercise until the 2nd tri so I’ve been walking instead but I’m planning on jogging again in a couple weeks. I’ve been and doing some light exercise videos on YouTube. Anyone else do the Tone it Up baby series videos? 

@anarmillay92918 My symptoms have definitely eased this week (I’m 9+2 today) but they were at their worse last week. I think it’s normal. Hang in there!!
  • Options
    Any HR folks in here?

Mr Random vent is I quit my job a week ago and start a new job in two weeks at 10wks pregnant 🤦🏻‍♀️

Do I tell them before I start or wait until after?
  • Options
    Thanks everyone who responded - I'm super appreciative to know I'm not alone! Definitely thankful to be feeling ok, but as you all said, it can really get to you! Trying to trust my body has been the hardest thing so far. Thanks to you all for your words of encouragement!

@lbonista re: the BPM issue - I specifically asked both my OBGYN and the APRN I met with at week 8 whether I needed to make sure I stayed within a certain heartrate range and they were both like "nah you're good." Basically my understanding is that if you're not passing out or having severe symptoms like bleeding, and especially if you were active pre-pregnancy, you should be totally fine! Sorry your doctor gave you that advice and got in your head - that sucks but you know your body!

• Options
    anarmillay92918 Thanks!  I'm sure she is just trying to cover her butt but its such irresponsible advice!  

Another 'maybe symptom' I have had is a flare up of dry skin on my legs.  This has always been a minor thing for me but I feel like its gotten worse since I found out I was pregnant!  Anyone else have this happening, its so annoying.  I can't wait for it to get cool enough to wear pants on a regular basis here, my legs look gross!
  • Options
    @juliebird6 I knooooow 😭
  • Options
    @juliebird6 such a tough thing to read and think about. Sad sad sad.
  • Options
    @juliebird6 yes!!! I was so upset this afternoon! 

@lbonista oh my gosh my legs are so dry! Luckily it’s cooler off enough by me I can wear long pants and hide the alligator skin!
  • Options
    @juliebird6 I’m sad thinking about what kind of world our daughters (and sons) will be born into 😭
  • Options
    My random vent comes with a trigger warning:

My BFF lost both of the twins she was carrying. They had already seen a heartbeat on both a couple of weeks ago, so she was feeling very hopeful this time. Yesterday she went in for her weekly US and they couldn't find a heartbeat on either one. She is devastated. That's five babies she's lost in the last 18 months. They have no answers for her. Her only answer is to try IVF and she doesn't even have a high chance of that working out for her. I feel awful and guilty that I'm still pregnant and she's not. I don't know anyone who would make a better parent than her. It pisses me off. There are idiots who abuse their kids and do drugs and have baby after baby and she can't even just have one?!

2020 can kiss my effin' ass. My BIL had an accident last week and they had to amputate his finger. I'm so ready for this stupid year to be over.

• Options
    @juliebird6 ugh I know, I am so devastated. Especially as a lawyer, she has always been such an inspiration and role model of mine 😭
  • Options
    @riff323 I’m so sorry for your friend. That’s so hard and one of the horrible parts of life that just shouldn’t happen. Lots of love and comfort to them. 
    That also really sucks about your BIL’s finger. This year does just really really ducking suck.
  • Options
    I am usually up through out the night to feed my 9 mo and pump, so on the weekends my husband will get up with the kids at 7 and let me sleep a little longer. Like til 9 or so. Generally from 6-9 Saturday and Sunday is the only solid chunk of sleep I get all week. 

My 5yo son decided he was going to wake up at six. I asked DH to get up with him and keep him quiet so he didn’t wake the baby. DH fell asleep in the living room, son was up loose in the house so I had to get up. Now it’s 630. I wake DH and get DS some breakfast. Get back in bed at 7, not too bad. Still two hours to sleep, right? At 8, DH comes in the bedroom where I’m asleep and our dog is on the bed sleeping with me. THIS MAN STARTS CALLING THE DOG and comes in the room JUST TO TRY TO GET HIM TO LICK THE PEANUT BUTTER OFF HIS SPOON. My dog doesn’t even like peanut butter. So I’m awake again. I let that go and roll over. Not 5 mins later DS busts in the room because he saw DH do it so that must mean I’m up..... I wasn’t. He leaves. At 8:30 DH decided to make the loudest smoothies on earth. My daughter is TERRIFIED of the blender, which he knows, so she of course screams bloody murder. I get up and resign myself that I’m up for the day. All I said to him was, “did you really come in the room and wake me up while I was sleeping just to try to get the dog to lick a peanut butter spoon?” I laughed because my strategy is humor instead of anger and now somehow he is mad at ME. 

W
    T
    F
  • Options
    @Serenamarr wow....just wow. Sounds like something my DH would do. I hope the rest of the day went a little more smoothly with less frustrations!!

I about screamed when I tried to refill zofran and the pharmacy said I didn’t have any refills available (when I saw the doctor circle 3 refills on the paper script!) Luckily they were able to find it and realized it was a computer error on their part, but it was still a headache trying to pick it up and they had to keep fixing something. But I have more now and can mostly manage the morning sickness. Anyone else feel there is no end in sight to theirs?
  • Options
    @theletlers I’m soooo with you on no end in sight. I feel like zophran is doing nothing for me and I just feel so terrible evvvveryday. Is this ever going to stop?! I don’t remember things being this bleak in previous pregnancies!!