May 2020 Moms

Appointments | October

Re: Appointments | October

• @stella_700 I'm on the fence about a VBAC for these babies. Since I've already had a c-section (5bl yes ago), I'm a little concerned about uterine rupture since my uterus will be stretched more. I'll probably defer to my doctor.
  • @pirateduck I spent 3 days after my c-section (they were going to send me home after 2 days but I protested) and wasn't ready to go home, mainly because I knew MIL would be there and I need my space. My hospitals birth center was under construction so we were in these tiny private rooms, a total of 4 and there were actually 5 of us so one family ended up on the general floor. I was not fond of my hospital stay, but I preferred it to getting stuck with MIL for an extra day. I don't think I slept much in the 72 hours because I couldn't get comfortable in the bed and once I finally fell asleep the baby was awake looking to be fed and figuring that out took so much time. My fitbit sleep logs from when she was just born is crazy I think it registered sleep only after the first week and it was in hour increments 😂
  • Loading the player...
  • @jhysmath I forgot to ask her if that was a standard practice for their office or a state wide thing. She very specifically said they absolutely won’t induce and 40 weeks is the last day to go into labor. A CS would be preformed on my DD if I didn’t go into labor. 

She did mention the sizes of my previous children a lot so I’m not sure if she was more worried about me having a giant at 40 weeks
    or if it’s standard for VBACs. I’ll have to ask at next weeks appointment for research purposes.
  • @ruby696 I fully agree. Both hospitals I delivered in didn’t have nurseries so I didn’t see the point in staying. I stayed 2 nights with both my vaginal delivery and my CS. And I only stayed 2 with the CS because DS2 failed his first car seat test (he was a “premie”). I’m determined to leave ASAP this go especially since I have two kids at home and no one to watch them but DH. 
  • I did not like being in the hospital after having DD. She was born at 11:16 AM and we went home about 24 hours later. Our hospital didn’t have a nursery, and the nurse kept coming in every hour throughout the night to give me more Advil, which caused us all to wake up, and none of those wake ups were to help us figure out how to breastfeed or otherwise manage a newborn. We were much happier figuring it out on our own at home.
  • @jhysmath I had GD with DS and wasn't induced until I was 11 days overdue. I wonder why your doc won't let you go past 40.

You guys with a nursery at your hospital, you can just send your baby away? That's freaking weird! (Not judgy weird just weird to me) We're a small town, no nursery. Baby stayed in my room the entire 2 days.
  • @splashmountain with my first there was no nursery but they did take him for one four hour stretch, just to the nurses station and they took turns watching him. My second they did have a nursery and I needed it. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Both MH and I almost ended up back at the hospital for severe exhaustion. There was not really a chance to sleep for the three days I was on pitocin before I eventually gave birth so we were both beyond exhausted. So even though they were still waking me up every 2-3 hours to check vitals for me, I got a little chunk of sleep. They check baby every hour and feed them every two. I needed something. 
  • @splashmountain Where I live, the nurses will take your baby for three hour increments if they're not busy. I have friends who would hand off baby, sleep for three hours, feed baby, and hand off again for another three hours of sleep. I guess whatever works for people, but the only person who is taking my newborn while I sleep is MH.
  • @splashmountain Our hospital has a full nursery and lower level NICU. If you're BFing and/or you have a partner or family member staying the night in your room, they will let you room in. However. I FF both times and will again, and I was a fall risk after both CS. When the nurse came in for 11pm vitals, they'd take the baby to the nursery until after morning rounds of both pediatrician and OB, so I'd get baby back at 7am. During the day, if I was alone and needed to nap, I could call the nurse and she'd take baby to nursery for a few hours and I could have baby back whenever I wanted. The staff there is exceptional and were very much like, "You will have to figure this all out on your own when you get home. Take your meds, heal your body, and let us help you." Rooming in would have been dangerous for me, especially since I was alone at night after #2. The knowledge that my babies were in capable, well-rested hands...I cannot put into words what it meant to me.
  • I had a 2 day induction which resulted in a c-section, so I was in the hospital for 6 days and TBH I loved it! All my nurses were amazing, the room had cable which we don't have at home and it was around Christmas so Christmas movies were playing all day. The hospital food was also pretty good not gonna lie. Our hospital did have a nursery, but urged parents to keep baby in the room unless absolutely necessary. I also had a lot of family and friends come and visit which I know isn't for everyone but we loved having visitors to hangout with! I did feel ready to leave when we did and by that time I felt super confident with nursing because lactation assistants came to visit twice a day and help with any issues or answer questions. 

This time around I'm at a different hospital so who knows what the experience will be...and being a STM I hopefully will feel better equipped. I also am hoping for a VBAC, so only planning to stay in hospital for 1-2 days unless otherwise necessary. 
  • @ruby696 YAY!
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• My first appointment was almost 2 weeks ago but nothing happened. So right now I’m going off dates which would put me at 8w 5d. My first ultrasound is on the 28th of oct so hopefully I can get a better date and hear the heartbeat! I’m so excited to hear it.

• We had our first prenatal (8 weeks and 4 days) yesterday. We were a little bummed we didn’t get an ultrasound as we were hoping to tell family with a picture but we have a referral for an ultrasound on 10/22!
  • We had the first appointment this morning at 9W5D. Baby is measuring right on track with a strong heart beat! Dr did see some bleeding close to baby so I’m on pelvic rest for 2 weeks and then she wants to do another ultrasound at 12W. She said it was only slightly concerning and since everything else looked good it will hopefully resolve itself. Everything else went fine and I got my flu shot! 

I have to switch OBs midway through my pregnancy b/c we are changing insurance and my current OB doesn’t take the new insurance. So I need to decide if I want to do the anatomy scan on 12/30 with current OB or after 12/1 with future new OB. Also not sure when to tell current OB that I won’t be continuing with the practice 
  • I’m am looking forward to my 12 week appointment on Thursday. I’m still not showing and I’ve lost weight during this past trimester, so I’ll feel better seeing it growing in there!
  • @chewie5990 Okay, random advice. But I changed practices right after my anatomy scan with DS2. The practice either missed my placenta previa or didn’t tell me/new OB. So new OB sent me for a fluids check at 30 weeks and abruptly discovered it. I was put on pelvic rest, driving restrictions and scheduled for weekly US following that. It was a huge change and unexpected so late in the pregnancy. 
  • @rox7777 I'm leaning towards having the anatomy scan at the new practice because I'm worried about something like that - it seems like my new OB will be more knowledgeable about my pregnancy with having the anatomy scan there - nothing can get lost in translation...it just stinks because I really love my current practice and I'm so comfortable with everyone there I want to stay as long as possible just for selfish reasons. 
  • @chewie5990 I felt the same way but I ended up loving this office even more. I’m using them again for this pregnancy and used them for the last four years for my annuals because I liked them way more than I thought I would. I think the AS and the following weeks are pivotal in discovering potential issues (especially delivery wise) so it makes more sense.
  • I had my first ultrasound and dr appt today.  I am 9 weeks + 2, baby is right on target with a steady heartbeat.  Its a relief the wait was making me anxious, this is my fourth pregnancy, and it def doesnt get any easier.  I have bloodwork/genetic screening on Nov 15th.  Ill be turning 40 on that day, def didnt expect to be 12 weeks pregnant on that particular milestone.  Praying for healthy baby and healthy pregnancy.
  • I had my first appointment yesterday. My first surprise was that my practice that was all females and I only saw midwives last time gave me a male OB both MH and I were a little thrown off by that. There were no males here 2 years ago. During the ultrasound he gave me in the room he told me baby looks great measuring at 9 weeks which is just a day off of what I thought so it was perfect, but then he told me

Tw 
    Something looks off on the placent and he thinks it could be a molar pregnancy. He sent me for blood work which took him an hour to call down which pissed me off and supposedly there's something in the blood work which will tell him if it is. I also have another ultrasound done by the imaging dept on Monday to get a better picture. So not only will I lose this pregnancy if he's right but I'll also end up needing chemotherapy.

Tw
  • Oh my gosh @jhysmath, I am so sorry. I'm praying he was wrong and that you get good news on Monday. ❤❤
  • Oh @jhysmath I am so sorry about that added anxiety!  When will you know?  I hope he is wrong!  Thinking of you!
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• Oh no @jhysmath any abnormality in an US is terrifying.  I’m sorry that you are stuck waiting for possibly bad news.  I have been there and it is nerve wracking.  Remind yourself that today you are still pregnant.  Nothing you do can change the outcome.  Keep taking good care of yourself.  Hopefully you get a clearer picture of what is going on soon!  
  • @drkoyya Moving this over to here to avoid too much conversation in the ultrasound thread.  I would ask for a repeat NT scan personally, since they didn't get a fluid measurement.  Especially if you're not doing NIPT.  
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @mokay19 Hooray for graduating, and boo for having to find a new OB.  Although I will say I had never met the OB who delivered DS (it was 1am, so it was the overnight OB) and it worked out okay.  But I would also want them to at least be in the same practice.
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @shamrocandroll yea, I’m not really concerned about who delivers the baby because I had the on-call doctor last time and was totally okay with that. But this whole practice doesn’t work with the hospital I want (the current practice is Prohealth and I want to deliver at an Aurora hospital). My insurance website is not yielding helpful results and the lady I talked to on the phone was even less helpful 😂
    I have some time still fortunately! My goal is just to have a new place by the anatomy scan haha 
  • @mokay19 Ugh, I hate how not straightforward our insurance and healthcare systems are!  It shouldn't be this hard!
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @mokay19 My doctor was out of the country when DD was born, so whoever the on call person was is who delivered. Worked out fine. Regardless, I hope you find a new doctor you love!
  • @ruby696 @shamrocandroll and @pirateduck
    Thank you for your kind words. I don't even think I've really processed that this may be a loss yet. I'm more angry then anything because I just want to have an easy uncomplicated pregnancy. With DD they told me at my first US that I was having a miscarriage and the fetus had no heartbeat, I'm hoping this is the case this time and that they are wrong again but what are the chances they tell me something terrible twice and they're actually wrong twice. I can't focus at all today and just keep checking my portal to see if there are any results or write ups about my appointment yesterday and all I get is the blood work is "pending." The OB told me to call back today for the results but I just realized I'm stuck at school until 7:15 tonight and I don't know if I want to get those results at school or if I can even find a private place to call for the results. 
  • @jhsmath I'm so sorry for the difficult news.

TW*
    My first pregnancy was suspected to be a partial molar pregnancy. I don't have a ton of knowledge about it but I think if you have a fetus and if they were considered looking okay then it would not be a full molar? Which means it's less likely you would need chemotherapy. I hope none of that is the case and what he saw turns out to be nothing at all and your babe is healthy. Hugs to you.
  • @jhysmath I don’t understand this at all. Not that I’m an expert, but was there a heartbeat?
  • @mdfarmchick yes there was, but I guess it is common for them to have a hb but lose it by 10 weeks. I don't really understand he didn't explain much side from saying it looks like it might be a molar pregnancy and told me to get blood work and another US. Most of the info I know now is from Dr. Google who is not a friend. 
  • @jhysmath I think that is really insensitive of him to just throw something like that out there without more definitive information.  He should have just said he couldn't get a clear enough view and wanted to follow up with some bloodwork and a more formal ultrasound.  To just wing out there that it "could be a molar pregnancy" and then send you on your way makes me really angry for you.  I hope he is wrong, and that you don't see him again.
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @jhysmath I'm so sorry. I hope he's wrong and am frustrated with him leaving you with no firm diagnosis until Monday! The lack of sensitivity with all of this strikes me as off. I hope you don't see him again.
  • @jhysmath is it possible for another doctor at the practice to look at your ultrasound images in the interim?  If they saved them off in the computer, it wouldn't hurt to have a second set of eyes on it while you await the more in depth scan Monday.  Also perhaps another doctor can better explain things and answer any questions you may have.