The Baby Name Thread

Re: The Baby Name Thread

• @literatureandink I love Maisie, DH vetoed it 
    literatureandink
  • Our girls names are:

Audrey (my fave)
    Annika (his fave)
    Beatrice 

Some girl middle faves are May, Rose, Alice (my Mum is Alyson), Blair (one I found further back in my family tree and didn't know about; great place for name hunting!), Elizabeth (on both sides of the fam), Minke (pronounced Minka, his grandma's name). I'm stuck for middles I like paired with Beatrice though so I'd love some suggestions if you have any! I feel like it should only be one, at most two syllables.

Boys names are:

Benjamin (his fave, but also his middle name so... weird?)
    Nicolas
    Theodore (my fave of what hasn't been vetoed)
    Samuel

Boy middle faves right now are Harrison (my grandma's maiden name, and DH's Dad's name is Harry), Casey (DH's grandpa), Michael (my brother)

Since we're not finding out the sex o the baby the plan is to go in with our shortlist and decide when we meet them what works.

@cansav1013 Rhys is one of my favourite boys names!!! DH vetoed it but I love it, and I've only ever known one person with that name and they're absolutely delightful

@literatureandink I love the name Maisie too!
    literatureandinkaresee
  • Loading the player...
  • @korthouse I love Audrey too. SIL wanted to use it for my niece (her H vetoed it) and I pushed so hard for it, because I knew I’d never use it as this is my last baby and if iwe have a girl, she will be named for my grandma. I also like your whole list of boy names. 

@literatureandink Those names are great. Rosalie is my favorite, but you really can’t go wrong. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
    literatureandinkkrthouse
  • We found out yesterday that baby is a boy and we have had zero discussions about names. I had a small list I was keeping on my phone ( like Hudson, Jameson, Cannon) and DH vetoed every single name. So now we are at square one. DD is named after both of our grandmothers and has a name that is becoming more popular, but is not in the top 100. DH said he wants something easy, common, classic. His only suggestion was Jack, which I do like. I would just like something maybe not as popular.

Do you ladies have any suggestions? I was thinking Cole, Henry or Theo as well.
    literatureandink
  • @doraleigh35 I love all you names! Especially Theo, but I'm biased because it's my top on our list too. Jack was going to be on our list, but it doesn't work with our last name, but it's a great name. I do think it's getting popular though. If you like shorter names Seth, Grant, Reese/Rhys are great for something different but still around. I think you've got a solid list though!
    doraleigh35aresee
  • @doraleigh35 I'm also a fan of your name choices! I like Jack but it didn't make my list (before I found out we're team pink) because of it's rising popularity. Henry is a great one. Theodore (Teddy, Theo) was number one on our list. I think you're going to pick an awesome name!
  • @doraleigh35 I love Jack and DH nearly convinced me to use it if this is a boy, but with all the Jacksons and Jaxons right now, it’s just too popular for my test. Especially because DS has a pretty uncommon name. I also love Theodore (with the nickname Theo) and Henry. I second the suggestions of Seth or Grant if you want a shorter name. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • Thank you so much for your feedback @mercury94 , @literatureandinkand @korthouse. I told DH we need to sit on these names for a few days. He seems set on Jack, but I am still worried about the popularity. I will probably give in though, DD's name was all me so I am okay letting him pick our boy name.
  • @doraleigh35 Are you in the US? If so, you can check the popularity for your state on the Social Security website to see just how common it is. Here, it is mostly some variant of Jackson, not so much Jack specifically, but that was enough to bother me. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • The past 2 kids we had a top three and decided when they arrived. We will do the same this time, which is harder because we call the baby peanut and  DD is now calling the baby 'peanut brother' so when he actually has a name, she might stick with peanut for a while. But we liked meeting the kids first.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
    krthousejenabarypdxwatermellon
  • @mercury94 I am in Canada, but our province does the same thing. Here are the numbers I found for 2018, baby boys born in the entire province (4.3 million people):
    167 Jack, 121 Jackson, 97 Jaxon, 61 Jaxson, 25 Jax. This is out of 57,000 babies born a year. So I guess it's not that bad. For DD there were only 3 babies with her name the year she was born.

@smallbutmighty77 I absolutely love that she calls him 'peanut brother', that is so cute.
  • @doraleigh35 It’s probably not too bad. I’d ask around if friends know young kids with the name. I was pretty set on the name Lucas until I discovered that there were 2 at DS’s daycare and I know of 2 others in the area. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    doraleigh35
  • @doraleigh35 I like your names, and I like Henry too! It’s our top boy name. @korthouse I also really love Grant but our last name starts with G so I feel like it’s too much. 
    Me: 29 & DH: 33
    Married: May 2009
    ttc #1 since October 2015
    BFP: 3/8 - CP
    krthousedoraleigh35aresee
  • Boy!!!!  Give me all the “B” names ... right now we are considering Blake, Brooks, Brody.  I love Ezra though...

Middle name Wayne ... not my favorite but my Dad and brother’s middle name so, it’s a must 
  • @smallbutmighty77 This is our first, but we have the same plan! Right now we have a working list of boy and girl names, and once we find out the sex, we’ll narrow to a top 3 and choose after birth. 

@doraleigh35 My husband once read a study that suggested boys are more successful if they have a more common name, but girls are better off with a unique name. Not sure if this holds up, but maybe a reason to go for Jack! We like the name Jack as well, but my husband liked it so much he named his dog Jack as a child, and now he thinks he can’t name the child after a dog. Lol.
    doraleigh35
  • My son is a Henry and I love it so much. It's such a good, classic name. It is getting more popular here (there have been three Henrys at his daycare at different times), but still not super common.

We're thinking of Evelyn or Eleanor if it's a girl. Zero idea if it's a boy, because we've either fallen out of love with our other choices from last time, or we've had friends with kids with those names in the meantime.
    mercury94
  • @kardam10716 I'm guessing Bruce is out of the question with that middle name unless you're huge batman fans! Blair is great for boy's too, but I love Blake and Brody! I also like Bennett and Basil
  • @kardam10716 I had a handful of B names I loved but due to initials, can’t use any of them (with the middle name his initials would be BJ and with last name BO, kids can be mean so we want to avoid lol)

Bennett
    Barrett (nickname Bear)
    Brooks
    Bryant 
    Bates 

Diagnosed PCOS 2013
    7th Round of Fertility treatment (Femara + Ovidrel + IUI) 12/14 = BFP. DS born Sept.15 
    Natural BFP Feb 2017. DD born Oct. 2017
    Natural BFP Aug. 2019, EDD April 2020

• We are having a boy! Our top three were Avery, Kyler, and Zander. We have decided on Avery but haven’t fully committed to a middle name yet although we have liked Avery Cole from the beginning!
    nicoleyoleeliteratureandinkkrthouse
  • My husband and I had a girl name picked but found out last week we are team blue!! 

Almost every name I like my husband didn't like or said it wouldn't sound good/ name like in portuguese..  that being said the only one we agree on so far is Luke. 

We  also like Felix but in portuguese it sounds funny pronounced with the short e sound, instead of long e. 

Portuguese used to have a list of names they could use which is why  so many people have  the same names! I'm really happy we don't have to stick to that list. 😂 
  • We are team green, so we won’t know gender until birth. But, being a teacher names are tough! I gave my husband total control over names, but I had ultimate veto power. He went family names for first of each gender, so we have a boy and girl name picked out. 

Boy: William (will) Allan 
    girl: Elizabeth (Ellie) Mae 

William is MH’s brothers middle name. Allan is MH’s middle name and a family name. Elizabeth is MH’s moms middle name. Mae is a family middle name and my middle name. For the record, many names were vetoed to get to this point. So we were thankful to only have one baby in there! 🤣😂
    mercury94jenabarykrthousedoraleigh35
  • @ejoseph16 I feel like finding names as a teacher is impossible. DH has only been teaching for 4 years and still vetoed a bunch of names due to name associations.

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    krthouseejoseph16
  • @mercury94 luckily 3 of my 8 years were in inner city Phoenix, and we dont plan on naming our child Jesus, Jose, or angel, so that made things a little easier... but still so difficult! 
  • @KFrob , @literatureandink - Maisie is on our list. I love it!

DH and I have been keeping little lists of 6-10 names for each sex since we started our fertility treatments - something fun to think about amidst all the stress and appointments. We'll narrow the lists down a little but we won't make a choice until we meet baby. 

Some of our top names are:
    Leo, Thomas, Theo and Simon
    Ruby, Amelia, June, Hazel, Clementine 

Also, are you guys sharing your names with family/friends in advance? My sister had a baby this year and shared the name (Fern! how adorable!) and my other sister told her she hated it and that the baby would be made fun of for it. It was really upsetting and they ended up changing the baby's name. SO I'm wary, to say the least... 
    literatureandink
  • @danibean19 I'm not telling most family. I have no interest in their opinions and I'd hate to have a shadow on my favorite name if someone reacts weirdly. I may tell my sister our top choices because I trust her. (Also I love all of your names. Hazel is possibly on my list too).
    danibean19babybison
  • @danibean19 I learned that lesson from telling SIL a name we were thinking of if we ever had a second boy. Totally ruined the name for me. This time, we will tell them once the name is set in stone. I’ve asked DH to make it clear to his family that we aren’t looking for opinions. I don’t get why people do that. I don’t like the names some family members use, but I would never say that.

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    danibean19
  • @doraleigh35 I love the name Jack! One note is to make sure it sounds okay with your last initial. If he’s in daycare or school with other Jacks he may be “Jack B.” etc. My cousin was unfortunately “Jack S.” and with little preschooler lisps it sounded like they were calling him something different 😂
    mercury94
  • @danibean19 Hazel and Leo are two of my all-time fave names that were vetoed by DH! I love all of those names, but those two especially have a little place in my heart
    danibean19
  • @danibean19 That's awful that they ended up changing their name based on the opinion of others. :( I'm really hesitant to tell people because honestly great auntie, I love you but I don't care if you met a girl once with that name who was mean to you at recess...
    krthousemercury94danibean19
  • Now that we know this is a girl, we officially settled on a first/middle combo this morning. She will be Lucy Stephanie R—. Our last name is one-syllable so I think we can handle the longer middle name. She will be named after two of my favorite people: my grandmother (Lucy) and my dad (Steve). DS is named for DH’s side of the family, so I’m so happy we were both able to name our kids after family members that mean the world to us. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    literatureandinkkrthousejenabarylittleredm
  • We had a big sit down chat about names again and have settled on our combos!

Audrey Rose
    Annika May
    Beatrice Isabel (Isabelle maybe? spelling tbd)

Benjamin Michael
    Theodore James
    Nicholas Casey
    Buster Harrison (we'll see if we're feeling ballsy enough for this one... but we both love it)
    literatureandinkKFrob
  • @korthouse Seems like you had a successful conversation. Those are great names. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    krthouse
  • @korthouse love love love Annika May. It seems so original and sounds like a really great human being. 
    krthouseKFrob
  • @korthouse those are gorgeous names! I don't think you can go wrong with any of them! Theodore is #1 on our boy list. I love Audrey and Beatrice - I think the nn Bea is just so dang cute.
    mercury94krthouse
  • There are so many people here with Theo on their lists!
    mercury94krthousedanibean19
  • @literatureandink I love the nn Bea too!!! So cute, and I feel like it's the name of a cozy happy person
    mercury94literatureandink
  • @babybison Theo is super cute but our Theodore would be a Teddy. This could all be useless as we’re having a girl and are not guaranteed a boy in our future! Lol
    mercury94krthouse
  • We are having another boy. DS is Nathaniel James but we call him Nathan for short. DH got to pick DS first name and I picked his middle name. So now I get to pick. I’ve liked the name Alexander for awhile now and I like Myles for a middle name. I just like the symmetry in both Nathaniel James and Alexander Myles. 

But now I’m starting to like the name Mason but stuck on a middle name. I like how Mason Alexander sounds but last name starts with G and dont want the initials to be MAG. 
    literatureandinkkrthousebabyrummom